Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

goethe.cx posted:

whenever someone posts this it always turns out that they obsessively try to minmax every game they play

where is the sprint button

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

goethe.cx posted:

whenever someone posts this it always turns out that they obsessively try to minmax every game they play

I just came to this realization about myself yesterday. My brain is broken.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
My greatest source of stress irl is that my shopping bag can hold too many items

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

goethe.cx posted:

when i measure stardew against the old harvest moon games, even hm-snes, obsessively min-maxing it is the only way to make it truly exciting. there's no time limit, there's no nigh impossible missable achievement to hunger for. in a sense, it's "too" chill so you have to bust out the calculator to make your own challenge.

harvest moon 64 is extremely chill UNLESS you deliberately challenge yourself to get every single photo. then it's a race against time and rng and you can't even relax in the endgame because you need every last cent you can scrape together for your green award evaluation, but also you need to max out every villager's friendship, including the bit characters like the identical carpenters, and that is hard as hell, plus there's next to no way to gauge your progress with anyone other than the bachelorettes without being familiar with the game's written script.

green award yes that's tough. but getting every photo? i'll save you the details but it is utterly intense. by comparison, you can't get that same rush under pressure in Stardew without imposing a monstrous min-maxing on yourself.

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

i get that--if you want a challenge in stardew you have to make one yourself. but it doesn't make any sense to do that and then complain that the game is the least relaxing one you've ever played

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
What these games need is more than one way to play them and reasons to do so.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My game about relaxing in the countryside because I was tired of my corporate shithole job is too chill and unstructured

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My personal opinion is that Wasteland Remastered that released last month sucks poo poo. Why would I say this? Because all they did was update the graphics and sound work, other than that it's pretty much exactly the same game that got released in 87. Now that's fine, fans of the original don't want controls or an interface that makes any sense. This is obviously meant for them and not newbies like me.
But here's the thing. Back in 87 when Timmy bought the game it came with a massive loving manual. Just like many old RPGs It is absolutely required to be able to play the game.
Guess what they gave you here. They inserted the flavour text you had to look up in the book into the game and other than that there's nothing.

I contemplated getting my first refund, but instead I'm gonna scour the Internet for a copy of one of the original manuals cause that should work. I'm going to figure out how to play this game and I'm going to murder Finster Dexter (not the Goon).

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Stardew Valley needs the option to be a serial killer. Just wander the village at night randomly killing people and hiding your crimes. No one notices that the killings started when you got to town that first night.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

goethe.cx posted:

It's just the time limit. I can't deal with time limits.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Lodin posted:

My personal opinion is that Wasteland Remastered that released last month sucks poo poo. Why would I say this? Because all they did was update the graphics and sound work, other than that it's pretty much exactly the same game that got released in 87. Now that's fine, fans of the original don't want controls or an interface that makes any sense. This is obviously meant for them and not newbies like me.
But here's the thing. Back in 87 when Timmy bought the game it came with a massive loving manual. Just like many old RPGs It is absolutely required to be able to play the game.
Guess what they gave you here. They inserted the flavour text you had to look up in the book into the game and other than that there's nothing.

I contemplated getting my first refund, but instead I'm gonna scour the Internet for a copy of one of the original manuals cause that should work. I'm going to figure out how to play this game and I'm going to murder Finster Dexter (not the Goon).

lol if you'd ever have read the manual

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Bloodborn is the best game on ps4

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

goethe.cx posted:

I find min/maxing stardew valley very relaxing

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Waltzing Along posted:

Stardew Valley needs the option to be a serial killer. Just wander the village at night randomly killing people and hiding your crimes. No one notices that the killings started when you got to town that first night.

This is what Elder Scrolls games are good for.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Waltzing Along posted:

:hmmyes: though I can't decide if I'd start with the undesirables like Linus and Pam or just go straight for the pretty young girls.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Waltzing Along posted:

kill everyone but clint and emily with the hammer and then leave town. she'll assume it was him all along

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

lol if you'd ever have read the manual

Yeah, good luck with that. The game doesn't have a map. You only get vague directions of where to go at the start and then bumble around on the small part of the over world that's visible.
Guess what? The map is located in the bloody manual. Good luck not using it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Was it Wasteland or some other game where the majority of the manual was like unrelated fiction that was like fighting on mars with ray guns when the actual game proper was entirely earthbound, humans only, and realistic guns.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barudak posted:

Was it Wasteland or some other game where the majority of the manual was like unrelated fiction that was like fighting on mars with ray guns when the actual game proper was entirely earthbound, humans only, and realistic guns.

That was wasteland, to mess with people who were reading the story bits of the manual before the game directed them to.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Is it time to talk about sim-ant again?

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe

poverty goat posted:

Is it time to talk about sim-ant again?

That spider was scary

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

internet celebrity posted:

:hmmyes: though I can't decide if I'd start with the undesirables like Linus and Pam or just go straight for the pretty young girls.

You keep your drat hands off Penny

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Steamworld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech is really fun. Scratches that classic JRPG style itch but with a clever card system that actually makes the battles absorbing. Definitely the type of game where you wake in a haze three hours later with no clue how all that time managed to pass

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

holy forking shirtballs the intro to TRAVIS STRIKES AGAIN: No More Heroes is a short Killer7 tie-in with a cameo by Dan SMITH portrayed by his original voice actor

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The controls in Red Dead Redemption 2 really suck and yet it is still the most fun I've had online with friends in years, even with all the hacking. Hell, some of the hacking is even kind of funny.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The controls in Red Dead Redemption 2 really suck and yet it is still the most fun I've had online with friends in years, even with all the hacking. Hell, some of the hacking is even kind of funny.

I mean with good enough friends you can feel this way with any game.

Hell I even remember this one session of Mount and Blade Napoleonic mod, which would probably be described as unfun and bad by 99% of the population, where me and my friends hosed off the frontline with the bagpipes and found a house with a piano in it you could play. We started loving jamming out and a few people joined us, but some people got mad at us for "ruining the game" so they teamed up with the enemy team to storm the house. Me, my friends, and like 5 guys fought tooth and nail to keep that piano playing. That was a great day.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That was wasteland, to mess with people who were reading the story bits of the manual before the game directed them to.

There's actually three separate books, the manual, the book with flavour text and a guide that's written like a diary and is really amusing.
It's been really fascinating trying to wrap my head around how to play this game. For instance to switch your weapon or reload you have to initiate a combat round. Completely unintuitive.
It's loving weird to me since the first CRPG I think I played was Daggerfall.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Daggerfall owned so hard back in the day but I’m pretty sure I would hate it if I tried to play it today.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
UI design has come such a long way. I loved XCom back in the day but if I go to play it now it’s so hard to actually do what I want to do. It feels like playing NuXCom while drunk with two pairs of gloves on.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And the sad thing is that most modern UIs are garbage, but they were just even worse in the old days.

Consoles oddly enough were often flat out better since they had to actively work with limited inputs from a controller, while PC just made developers stop giving a poo poo entirely.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Daggerfall owned so hard back in the day but I’m pretty sure I would hate it if I tried to play it today.

You could give Daggerfall Unity a whirl. As the name says it's a Unity port and last I tried it was pretty feature complete. Main difference is that it now has normal FPS controls and runs smooth as butter. Feels more like you're playing Hexen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2SCc6XPHM
https://www.dfworkshop.net/

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Deus ex and system shock had really garbage controls and would never be considered good games by anyone if they came out today without first baking in the subsequent 20 years of UI/ux improvements that we take for granted

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lodin posted:

You could give Daggerfall Unity a whirl. As the name says it's a Unity port and last I tried it was pretty feature complete. Main difference is that it now has normal FPS controls and runs smooth as butter. Feels more like you're playing Hexen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ2SCc6XPHM
https://www.dfworkshop.net/

you can't post about Daggerfall: Unity without posting the best part. it has mod support!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQsN9EK4y5U

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

Secret of Evermore is still a great game.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Call of Duty: WWII is a pretty good game. Somehow I managed to never ever hear about it until last week despite the fact that it is years old at this point

large_gourd
Jan 17, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

poverty goat posted:

Deus ex and system shock had really garbage controls and would never be considered good games by anyone if they came out today without first baking in the subsequent 20 years of UI/ux improvements that we take for granted

system shock, yeah. i only played it 15 years later or whatever it was, and it was hard to get used to.

i don't think deus ex has the same problems though. it's got pretty standard FPS controls with some extra rpg keys.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I liked airborne, those flakturms were insane

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

large_gourd posted:

system shock, yeah. i only played it 15 years later or whatever it was, and it was hard to get used to.

i don't think deus ex has the same problems though. it's got pretty standard FPS controls with some extra rpg keys.

System Shock was basically an incremental upgrade to the Ultima Underworld games and was really impressive technically in 1994 but the controls and ui were clunky as hell even then, but it got a pass for being so interesting and detailed. Deus Ex still plays pretty fine, it's just really goddamn ugly.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

deus ex's controls are absolute garbage but it lets you rebind them all so maybe you guys don't remember poo poo like ] to reload your gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

spreading the augs out across the F-keys such that the flashlight is F12