Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Nice, Field of the Dead is back from suspension baby

*looks at all the land hate they are printing in Historic Anthology II*

oh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tulul posted:

That's super-fake, considering we already know the big Ikoria mechanic is called mutate and that it somehow involves attaching cards to other cards.

Not that it contributes much to its credibility, but that could just be a mis-translation.

qwewq
Aug 16, 2017
If it is fake, it's a ton of effort with a lot of hooks in different directions.

It lines up with Tainen's wedge Narset, it lines up with the aura themes in Theros, it lines up with the Enemy centered Wedge set implied by the names of the commander decks, seems pretty genuine.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
The card that actually needed to be banned in Brawl was Fires of Invention, which is horribly broken with must-kill commanders that have ETB card advantage abilities like Nicol Bolas.

I'd care more if you could actually still play Brawl on Arena.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah I think Merge or Evolve is just a mistranslation of Mutate

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
One thing throwing me off is that ultimatum. One of the leaks I saw was a cycle of ultimatums that are supposed to be in the main set but the one in that Commander leak is close but not exactly the same as the one that’s supposed to be in the set. Close enough that it wouldn’t make sense to have both cards so either the leak I saw was wrong but close, the leak I saw was wrong and actually a commander card, the leak I saw was real and changed last minute (it was a few months ago) or that commander leak is fake and they just got lucky with their ultimatum design.
:shrug:

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Evolve is an existing mechanic already. Merge could be a translation of Mutate.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

quote:

Enveloping Chrysalis 2W

Creature-Insect R

Indestructible

Enchanted creature has indestructible, can't attack or block, and its activated abilities can't be activated.

Merge 1W

0/6
An indestructible blocker that becomes an indestructible Arrest you can move around seems absurd. I can't really see them making this unless the commander decks are allowed to include new non standard legal cards?

quote:

Watchful Loris 3W

Creature-Ape C

Vigilance

Enchanted creature has vigilance.

Merge W (This creature becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it and any number of Auras enchanting it to target creature. Merge only as a sorcery. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)

3/3
This kind of design seems bizarre to me. How often are you going to get rid of your 3/3 vigilance just to give something else Vigilance? This mechanic would surely come with a stats boost even for limited cards.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

The commander also seems like a weird design to me. Like you put 3 auras on a merge creature then merge onto the commander and it deals + drains for 16? Maybe it's not overpowered but it seems like a very strange playstyle to build a deck around.

As worded you can also swap your merge creature back and forth for repeat triggers but I guess the mechanic could reasonably have "and loses Merge".

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

An indestructible blocker that becomes an indestructible Arrest you can move around seems absurd. I can't really see them making this unless the commander decks are allowed to include new non standard legal cards?

Commander decks (as opposed to Brawl decks) include new non standard legal cards. They're legal in Commander/Vintage/Legacy but not Brawl/Standard/Modern/Pioneer.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Wizards should hope that Commander deck is fake because it is dogshit otherwise.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

This kind of design seems bizarre to me. How often are you going to get rid of your 3/3 vigilance just to give something else Vigilance? This mechanic would surely come with a stats boost even for limited cards.

Is there a "...play this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" rider on Merge?

If not it lets you dodge removal and combat trick blowouts to still retain at least a little value (which is even more value if there's a decent "auras matter" shell to be had.)

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Is there a "...play this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery" rider on Merge?

If not it lets you dodge removal and combat trick blowouts to still retain at least a little value (which is even more value if there's a decent "auras matter" shell to be had.)

quote:

Watchful Loris 3W

Creature-Ape C

Vigilance

Enchanted creature has vigilance.

Merge W (This creature becomes an Aura enchantment with enchant creature. Attach it and any number of Auras enchanting it to target creature. Merge only as a sorcery. It becomes a creature again if it's not attached to a creature.)

3/3

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

GoutPatrol posted:

"lol 2019"

Toshimo posted:

Wizards should hope that Commander deck is fake because it is dogshit otherwise.

This is how we know it's real.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
"They should be putting BBD duals in every goddamn commander product forever because there's nowhere else to put them and excusing that is dumb as gently caress." -A Goddamn Genius

Pay me, Wizards.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

The commander also seems like a weird design to me. Like you put 3 auras on a merge creature then merge onto the commander and it deals + drains for 16? Maybe it's not overpowered but it seems like a very strange playstyle to build a deck around.

As worded you can also swap your merge creature back and forth for repeat triggers but I guess the mechanic could reasonably have "and loses Merge".

The biggest problem with Voltron strategies is that you are limited by A) needing combat and B) only being able to swing at one player with your Commander when they are all buffed up. This Abzan deck seems to suggest the possibility of an "Aura Storm" style of play where you can go off with enchantresses like a normal Enchantress deck but now you can use all the cards you draw and mana you generate to dome people. If you factor in stuff like Mirari's Wake and Nyxbloom Ancient, it's feasible to consider just looping your auras and nuking the table via direct damage and skipping combat completely. "Direct Damage Boggle Storm" or "Nuclear Pants" is new and exciting design space for Abzan.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

"They should be putting BBD duals in every goddamn commander product forever because there's nowhere else to put them and excusing that is dumb as gently caress." -A Goddamn Genius

Pay me, Wizards.

Absolutely this. If it's for a multiplayer format, print the cards into oblivion. Also do enemy cycle.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Framboise posted:

Absolutely this. If it's for a multiplayer format, print the cards into oblivion. Also do enemy cycle.

Enemy cycle probably in the new commander draft set. They absolutely should be in precons though.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
https://twitter.com/mengu09/status/1237036051081953283?s=21

I feel like people, even Pros, don’t understand the actual volume of data provided by MTGO leagues. Internet discussion and speculation on games and other content creators experiences are simply the tip of a truly gargantuan iceberg. MTGO legacy leagues are firing 24/7, I’m sure the data they have more than supports their decision.

Also the comments do clear up that the reason breach is too good for legacy is basically that it can win through hate and it has a loving insane sideboard that shores up any weaknesses. Nobody playing the deck is defending it.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Did anybody really expect Red Yawg Will++ to stay around in legacy? That seems ambitious.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

At the very least they'd have to ban LED to keep it around.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ah yes, what every commander player has been clamoring for.

Auras.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Paul Zuvella posted:

Auras.

Sram. And uh that precon walker?

what I mean is someone in development has very specific decks

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Estrid has some pretty neat potential with The Chain Veil fwiw :unsmith:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Merge seems like a really lame mechanic if it's real. Slow, super incremental and vulnerable to blow outs. maybe it'll play out better but it just doesn't seem like it would lead to interesting games. Auras are already mostly bad.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Enchantress decks have been a part of Magic since Magic’s inception I don’t get what you’re implying. Do you think Commander players don’t want to enchant their creatures to make them cool? I mean, if anything the presence of Commander damage insinuates that were MORE invested in enchanting and creating giant creatures to swing with.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
This seems like an interesting mechanic. It's Bestow from the battlefield instead of from hand, and I liked how Bestow played.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

The weirdest part of that card is that it's a white Ape. It would be the first.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Unless I'm missing something you can't move it around, right?

Also, Prison Term exists, although you can't move it at will

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Auras are cool thematically, but their default implementation is inherently bad since they're so often a card disadvantage. They have to be insanely strong or have weird quirks to counteract their innate downsides (recursion ala Rancor, strong ETB/cast effects, etc). WotC keeps trying to find a way to make them worthwhile and this is just the latest attempt. So far nothing seems like it'll really shake things up, but maybe the actual set will have some decent Mutate/Merge/whatever cards (assuming this is even the real mechanic).

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Lets you stack creatures and then wrath and get them all back as creatures, and they should come back without summoning sickness since they were already on the battlefield.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Enchanting my creatures feels slow and vulnerable and dumb, playing big game-altering enchantments is good and cool and I want a commander for them. Maybe I'll build golos enchantress if the precons turn out lame.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Make Maelstrom Nexus usable as a commander

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I don't think it's vulnerable? If the aura becomes unattached you just get your creature back.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Paul Zuvella posted:

Auras.

Part of my regrets with Tuvasa is that sticking Rancor to her is a bad plan long term, so, yeah.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Unless I'm misunderstanding that mechanic, isn't that just Magnetic from HS?

Realise it's different card games like, but Magnetic is pretty strong.

Edit: Missed it was from the battlefield instead of hand, so eh.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Pauper cube is coming! On MTGO they are running pauper cube starting tomorrow and everyone who 5-0's a pauper cube/league que will win that stupid monarch card (7 tix) and everyone who uses the code PAUPERARENA2020 will get a free copy of pauper staple standard bearer! Seems good

PleasantDirge fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Mar 11, 2020

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding that mechanic, isn't that just Magnetic from HS?

Realise it's different card games like, but Magnetic is pretty strong.

Edit: Missed it was from the battlefield instead of hand, so eh.

its banding

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Magic has probably earned a little latitude to copy a thing or two from HS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

PleasantDirge posted:

Pauper cube is coming! On MTGO they are running pauper cube starting tomorrow and everyone who 5-0's a pauper cube/league que will win that stupid monarch card (7 tix) and everyone who uses the code PAUPERARENA2020 will get a free copy of standard staple standard bearer! Seems good

I'm ok with this.