Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

countdown to "actually they like being slaves"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I am all about eliminating lovely portrayals of rape from fiction but I looked in the game's scripts to see exactly how it was phrased in the farm raid and I think calling it an implied rape is a hella overreaction.

The implied-implied rape only happens after:
1) Choosing to raid a defenseless farm
AND
2) Ignoring the "Take what we need" and "Take Everything" options to click on the box that says "Take everything and kill everyone."

Then the actual line in question is literally you specifying to your soldiers that the only thing you want them to do to her is kill her. (yes I can see how it can be read as an implied rape but I don't approach this game as a psychopath so I have a hard time reading it that way myself)

quote:

"There's plenty of food here. And too many witnesses.You turn around and give a knowing glance at %someguy1%. He nods back and nocks an arrow. Before the woman can scream, the brother releases the shot and the old man on the porch stumbles backward into the house, followed by a retinue of screaming children. The rest of your company fans out, unsheathing their swords as they run into the fields. A few farmhands try to fight back, but your well-armed band makes short work of them. %someguy2% sprints into the homestead and inside you hear a number of cries that, one by one, disappear until there is silence. You hand the woman off to a few brothers, telling them to just make sure she is dead before you leave. A few other sellswords immediately begin cutting down crops and stealing away items from the home. Before long, you're back out on the roads, your stocks now almost full. A few brothers are taking red rags to their wet blades."

but I also read the "telling them to just make sure she is dead before you leave" as me leaving after saying that, not me saying "do whatever with her now but kill her before you leave." so who knows here. I guess the truth is, whether or not you are a virtual rape enabler depends on whether you're wanting to find an implied rape in that phrasing or not. :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Mar 10, 2020

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

100% implied rape there, jesus

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
In my ~400 hours I have ever seen that event and/or never clicked on the worst option of the group both narratively and literally as that “murder all innocence” poo poo generally reflects on your renown/town standings. I’d have to argue you really have to go out of your way to give a poo poo about the text in this game but YMMV when it comes to video game dialogue.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Mar 10, 2020

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I've never seen that event but that is 100% implied rape jfc

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

deep dish peat moss posted:

I am all about eliminating lovely portrayals of rape from fiction but I looked in the game's scripts to see exactly how it was phrased in the farm raid and I think calling it an implied rape is a hella overreaction.

The implied-implied rape only happens after:
1) Choosing to raid a defenseless farm
AND
2) Ignoring the "Take what we need" and "Take Everything" options to click on the box that says "Take everything and kill everyone."

Then the actual line in question is literally you specifying to your soldiers that the only thing you want them to do to her is kill her. (yes I can see how it can be read as an implied rape but I don't approach this game as a psychopath so I have a hard time reading it that way myself)

but I also read the "telling them to just make sure she is dead before you leave" as me leaving after saying that, not me saying "do whatever with her now but kill her before you leave." so who knows here. I guess the truth is, whether or not you are a virtual rape enabler depends on whether you're wanting to find an implied rape in that phrasing or not. :shrug:

*Inhales own fart* perhaps the truth about the implied rape is somewhere in the middle

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

Or maybe I should have went with "implied rape defender has logged on"

Comrayn
Jul 22, 2008
I expected much worse based on the stink you were making over what happens when you choose not the option to be nice, not the option to rob them, but the option to just murder everyone for no reason.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

(yes I can see how it can be read as an implied rape but I don't approach this game as a psychopath so I have a hard time reading it that way myself)

Hmm yes love to give a generous reading to the rpgcodex nazi

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

vyelkin posted:

I've never seen that event but that is 100% implied rape jfc

Yeah. gently caress that. I guess always trying to choose the least lovely option has colored my opinion of the game's writing.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Yeah, that's 100% implied rape. Like, no question at all, about what the writing/captain is suggesting, there. :eyepop:
(That being said though, I mean, I guess what do you expect after selecting the worst option twice? Still pretty tasteless sure, but yeah, I'm not surprised that I've never seen that event before)

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The hell event even triggers that?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

If there's never anything but courier/caravan contracts is that just luck of the draw or what?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

poverty goat posted:

If there's never anything but courier/caravan contracts is that just luck of the draw or what?

I think I know what does. If you have low 'morality' (which is hard enough to normally do) you can get offered different contracts rarely. One of the noble contracts is ' you need to destroy this other noble's industry. Go destroy these wheat fields or harbor or whatever, but make sure it looks like a bandit attack because I don't want anyone to realize I hired mercenaries to do it.'

I've never taken it because I'm a goody two shoes, but I imagine it's a end result of that. The only reason I know it exists is because starting with the necromancer run puts you and maximum negative morality.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

The hell event even triggers that?

I love how there are people complaining about sociopathic writing only seen if you choose sociopathic options in this vidya game

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

No it's about tasteless implied rape.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

No it's about tasteless implied rape.

Well, I stand loving corrected. Please, tell me more about the tasteful implied rape which you've implied is ethically and morally defensible in your well-thought out and reasoned rebuttal to the dangers of implied meanings in fantasy content

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

You hand the woman off to a few brothers,

What exactly do you think this means?

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Wafflecopper posted:

That it's implied your mercenaries raped her.

Sorry, were you going somewhere with that?

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

tentacles posted:

That it's implied your mercenaries raped her.

Sorry, were you going somewhere with that?

He's literally responding to somebody contradicting your snarky reply...

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
I'd entirely forgotten that scene existed, jesus. You could wipe that one line from the game and the only people who'd care are people you don't give a poo poo about anyway.

E: However, in absence of that, i'll just... not... slaughter a whole farm for a meagre reward.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

tentacles posted:

Well, I stand loving corrected. Please, tell me more about the tasteful implied rape which you've implied is ethically and morally defensible in your well-thought out and reasoned rebuttal to the dangers of implied meanings in fantasy content

It's gross, friend, and unnecessary to the grittiness of the game world. It does not add verisimilitude.

I hope this helps you understand.

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Glenn Quebec posted:

It's gross, friend, and unnecessary to the grittiness of the game world. It does not add verisimilitude.

I hope this helps you understand.

Odd. I didn't find it detracted from my enjoyment of the game world at all. Because I never saw it, because I never chose the option which involved enforcing my wishes upon a helpless party.

Kinda like that thing you find so vocally gross, friend. Believe me when I say I'd rather never understand where you're coming from.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Wafflecopper posted:

I still read it as handing the woman over to the men who are going to kill her :shrug: but I'm firmly in the camp that plays a kind-hearted benevolent mercenary cap

What makes a possibly implied rape of one woman worse than the cold-blooded slaughter of an entire farm worth of innocents? Like, why is the phrase "you hand the woman over" worse than just straight up mass murder?

The point I'm trying to make is that if you see that text in-game you should reflect upon your choices and realize that you had to have (or roleplay) some very psychopathic tendencies in the first place, so to see that in-game and then be outraged over that one nebulous line but not at all reflect on your other actions is super bizarre to me. You have to very intentionally and deliberately go out of your way to be the worst possible in-game immoral scumbag that you can be and make all of the worst, most violent decisions... and the offensive part of all of this is specifically the first eight words of "You hand the woman over to your men and tell them to just make sure she's dead."?

I think a lot of you are projecting your assumptions of the writer (I've never heard their name before so I have no past opinion of them) or your own subconscious take on what that line means. Of all of the "poor depictions of rape in fantasy" that I've ever seen this one is definitely on the "far less shocking and explicit" side of things. Like, does this come from feeling like you should feel bad about being a heartless murderer, but you don't, so you find something else in the text to feel bad about?

If I was rewriting the text myself I would take out the word "just" and the tenebrous "before you leave" because then it very explicitly says that you handed them over for the purpose of killing and implies nothing else.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Mar 10, 2020

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

The rape scenario is bad guys. Making the violence comparison is childish. It's not a good scenario as written. Even playing an ice cold bastard merc in the game, it was jarring. Idk what else to say to the rape defenders itt.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
"just make sure she's dead before you leave" means "do what you want with her, just make sure she's dead before you leave".

I can understand that if English isn't your first language, you might not grasp the context. If it is however, gently caress off dude. It's really clear.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It's really weird that you're okay with the glorification of cold-blooded mass murder but upset by that. I can understand that if you have no actual moral compass and are just trying to categorize and database moral outrage like a virtue-signaling robot trying to understand humans but if so I think you need to recalibrate dawg.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It should not be in the game. It's an option very few people will pick anyway, cutting it would basically go unnoticed.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Drakenel posted:

I think I know what does. If you have low 'morality' (which is hard enough to normally do) you can get offered different contracts rarely. One of the noble contracts is ' you need to destroy this other noble's industry. Go destroy these wheat fields or harbor or whatever, but make sure it looks like a bandit attack because I don't want anyone to realize I hired mercenaries to do it.'

I've never taken it because I'm a goody two shoes, but I imagine it's a end result of that. The only reason I know it exists is because starting with the necromancer run puts you and maximum negative morality.

Well, the background is I'm or so 130 days into my first Veteran/Veteran run, I haven't taken any of the evil choices or any good choices that would have rocked the boat with the nobles, and it's been hard to find kill-poo poo contracts from the very start. It's not even that I was avoiding a lot of 3 skull jobs either- I did a lot of travelling town to town pissing away payroll because all I could find were 4-6 day courier/caravan jobs across the worst map/road/mountain system ever. I'm about to restart the game because I need money to repair my armor so I can get back into the war of the nobles, but the only job in the whole north is a 6 day courier run to the bottom of the map that won't even pay the payroll, I'll run out of money for payroll a day in and my front line's armor is still busted if we run into trouble. And we missed out on a ton of XP doing the fedex grind so we can't actually hit nobles with our weapons or dodge their arbalesters' railguns. I recognize this feeling from late in a failed game of xcom.

A lot of my problems seem to stem from the poor job selection and I was wondering if this is a veteran thing or if there's anything to be done about it. Are other mercenary companies in the world actually taking the good jobs? Can I reduce the demand for caravan guards by clearing out bandits that are loving with the roads?

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Mar 10, 2020

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

To me the true Battle Brothers experience will always be my strong idiot soldiers trying to shoot the sun or begging me to keep a puppy.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
We're not weighing the morality of slaughtering peasants vs rape here, dude. They're both terrible but it's not exactly surprising people playing a game about less objectionable slaughter are surprised and disgusted rape is brought up in it, in the same way most people reading Harlequin romance novels would be surprised and disgusted if their books about romanticized rape went "Oh and after the suave pirate was done loving me in the moonlight, he chopped a child's head off."

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

It's really weird that you're okay with the glorification of cold-blooded mass murder but upset by that. I can understand that if you have no actual moral compass and are just trying to categorize and database moral outrage like a virtue-signaling robot trying to understand humans but if so I think you need to recalibrate dawg.

Yes, us, who think the rape scenario is bad, should recalibrate.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Guys it's 2020 and after Game of Thrones ran it all the way through the ground and then back out the other side it's no longer a controversial opinion that using sexual violence against women as a way to emphasize the harshness of your grim historical fantasy setting is, at best, trite.

This hasn't been mainstream for all that long so don't feel like you're being attacked if this is how you're finding out, but it turns out women engage with media too and there are better ways to set the tone.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I guess I should feel really silly for expecting them to ever add battle sisters

tentacles
Nov 26, 2007

Night10194 posted:

To me the true Battle Brothers experience will always be my strong idiot soldiers trying to shoot the sun or begging me to keep a puppy.

This, except the puppy heroically perishes saving my brain damaged battle bro from a Natckzeh Nichtzuhrer Nahctfhr bloody horrible undead thing

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I like to call them Nachos for ease of spelling.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I have a hard time using the dogs despite their immense strategic utility because I can't make myself get puppies killed. :smith:

Russian Remoulade
Feb 22, 2009

Night10194 posted:

I have a hard time using the dogs despite their immense strategic utility because I can't make myself get puppies killed. :smith:

The solo start backgrounds cured me of this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Those sad whining noises when a dog dies get me even when it's an enemy dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Night10194 posted:

Same.

The little whimper when they get killed just breaks my heart.