Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Home Bargains got bogroll in last night (but only packs of 4) and is utterly devoid of bogroll this morning.

My Italian friend is posting quotes from Camus The Plague on FB so I've downloaded it from archive.org - might be worth a read.

Can't help noticing that all the cop/detective shows I watch (Law & Order, CSI, NCIS - not reality ones) have had episodes involving viruses and so on in the past few days - must be coincidence as I'm sure the freesat channels have them all lined up weeks in advance!

Page snipe:

+44 (read as Plus Forty-four) was an American rock supergroup formed in Los Angeles, California in 2005. The group consisted of vocalist and bassist Mark Hoppus and drummer Travis Barker of Blink-182, lead guitarist Shane Gallagher of The Nervous Return, and rhythm guitarist Craig Fairbaugh of Mercy Killers.

I have never heard of any of these, so much for being a supergroup!

44 is also half of 88 which is a bad number, and also the dialling code for the UK from abroad.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Mar 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
I'm so glad the world all got on the bandwagon of electing complete idiots to government just in time for the disaster of our lifetimes

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

+44 were the best Blink spin-off by some distance. Box Car Racer were alright. Angels and Airwaves were trash.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm so glad the world all got on the bandwagon of electing complete idiots to government just in time for the disaster of our lifetimes

The cause and affect of that is important for leftists to point out to the public now and during the worst parts coming up.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

my only hope is that the fact that they are putting off precautions until it's too late in order to "reduce economic damage*" will make people question whether an economic system that might benefit from not trying to save as many lives as possible is a good thing

I'm not optimistic

*which, again, seems like such a loving stupid premise, how is shutting down everything for two months now going to be any less disruptive than shutting everything down for two months once it is spreading uncontrollably?

Mebh
May 10, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZV9z0RVhy4

The guy has been linked in the thread before, but this one is particularly :stonk: as it sums up an epidemiology report from the Chinese.

Infection range in a closed environment is up to 4.5 meters (infected one person that far away on the bus), double the recommended safe distance.
It stays in the air for 30-60 minutes and infected someone else who got on the bus after the first person had gotten off the bus.
It also stayed alive on a 37 degree surface for 3+ days, longer in cooler temperatures.

Crikey no wonder it's spreading like crazy.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

sebzilla posted:

+44 were the best Blink spin-off by some distance. Box Car Racer were alright. Angels and Airwaves were trash.

The Box Car Racer album is amazing

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

iirc it went something like this:
China said that they’d be closing some factories or switching them to disease management, making medical supplies instead of some sanitary products.
Hong Kong worries that China’s going to cut them off for toilet paper and starts stockpiling.
News articles in Singapore say that HK has run out of toilet paper, Singaporeans start stockpiling.
Australia, where a lot of English-language East Asian news organisations are based, reports that multiple Asian cities have run out of toilet paper. Combined with the bulk sale Australians start buying tons of toilet paper.
Scenes start showing up on social media with pictures of empty shelves. America starts panic buying toilet paper even though they don’t get it from China because they said on Facebook that they've stopped making toilet paper.
Now there's a genuine shortage, and Britain joins in.

I'm fairly sure the UK is a net exporter of toilet paper.

Although admittedly being an exporter of something has never stopped the locals going without it under British rule.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

The great bog roll pandemic is another reason to use a bidet imo

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm fairly sure the UK is a net exporter of toilet paper.

Although admittedly being an exporter of something has never stopped the locals going without it under British rule.
Social media and the 24hr news cycle has created an excellent vector for panic buying to go global regardless of supply chains.

The US makes its own toilet paper, but there's still shortages there because they saw Australians panic buying.

Flipswitch posted:

The great bog roll pandemic is another reason to use a bidet imo
:hai:

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

XMNN posted:

my only hope is that the fact that they are putting off precautions until it's too late in order to "reduce economic damage*" will make people question whether an economic system that might benefit from not trying to save as many lives as possible is a good thing

I'm not optimistic

*which, again, seems like such a loving stupid premise, how is shutting down everything for two months now going to be any less disruptive than shutting everything down for two months once it is spreading uncontrollably?

For my continual eastern euro update, for what it's worth the Czech government has shut all the schools and universities indefinitely starting tomorrow, and there's a regular 10 minute q&a segments about coronavirus on TV, all with fewer infections per capita than the UK.

Of course conservative fuckwits say that it's overblown and just a government reelection campaign, while pointing at Britain not doing anything as justification. Impressive that the Tories manage to indirectly hurt my retirement-age parents halfway across the continent.

e: phoneposting i != o

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Mar 10, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Mebh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZV9z0RVhy4

The guy has been linked in the thread before, but this one is particularly :stonk: as it sums up an epidemiology report from the Chinese.

Infection range in a closed environment is up to 4.5 meters (infected one person that far away on the bus), double the recommended safe distance.
It stays in the air for 30-60 minutes and infected someone else who got on the bus after the first person had gotten off the bus.
It also stayed alive on a 37 degree surface for 3+ days, longer in cooler temperatures.

Crikey no wonder it's spreading like crazy.

Yeah I'm watching that one right now :stonk: Also, at 15mins he describes what "bilateral interstitial pnuemonia" (the disease filling up Italian ICUs) actually is

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
We're up to 373 cases now. 91 in London :derp:

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol

https://twitter.com/joekennedy81/status/1236993545325760512?s=19

Have to say the constant breathless (lol) doomsaying isn't particularly great for the mental health of those of us lucky enough to have other chronic health conditions!

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

We're up to 373 cases now. 91 in London :derp:

Arnt these numbers yesterday’s (with a 24 hr delay), for its probably ^2 by now

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

Jel Shaker posted:

More like ^1.2 I bet.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The growth rate is exponential, but over a slightly longer period than 24 hours, as far as I know.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jel Shaker posted:

Nah that's todays official numbers

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Jel Shaker posted:

Correct as of 9am today, according to the Graun:

quote:

Number of UK cases hits 373
A total of 373 people have tested positive for coronavirus in the UK as of 9am on Tuesday, up by 54 from 319 at the same point on Monday, the Department of Health has said.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

I've got tickets for Rage Against the Machine and Tame Impala in June. They're both going to be loving cancelled aren't they?

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish

WhatEvil posted:

I've got tickets for Rage Against the Machine and Tame Impala in June. They're both going to be loving cancelled aren't they?

I dunno, Rage have always seemed pretty consistently right on.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
this weekend my friends were trying to get me to book hotels for a bon iver concert we have tickets for in April, which I'm really loving hoping gets cancelled

I'm also very seriously considering skipping out on the wedding I've been invited to this weekend

I'm so loving frustrated with the government's response to this, it is absolutely blindingly obvious that the situation is developing exactly the same as it has everywhere. what on earth is the point of doing this "wait and see" horseshit when we've already seen

like I'm not a public health professional but I just can't think of any rational reason to delay the drastic poo poo, even considering the fact that the number must go up

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
As an unemployed shut-in this coronavirus stuff is doing great for reaffirming my habits.

Still it's a weird feeling, I keep thinking stuff like 'What if I go to the shops and there's nothing there? What if there's never anything there again? What if the power goes off? What if it never comes back on?' Like I'm in the beginning of an apocalypse-flavoured movie.

At least that Brexit stockpile I made up last year will come in handy if I decide even going to the co-op is too risky.

minema
May 31, 2011
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/edit#gid=0

This spreadsheet is the UK testing data as reported since the outbreak started. Interesting how testing is at the same level now as it was 10 days ago - is it a restriction on number of tests? I don't want to go full conspiracy theorist and say it's to keep overall case numbers down so other explanations would be interesting.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Realistically the coronavirus stuff will not destroy civilisation even in the worst case, but a lot of people will get sick and quite a few of them will die. More effective quarantine measures like those being used in China and Vietnam have been shown to work, and they seem to be mostly over the worst of it. Britain won't implement those, because Britain is a dumb joke country run by actual clowns, but as with all epidemics it will pass here too. The knock on economic effects will be considerable, but that might not actually be such a bad thing in the long term. By far the most dangerous thing is the potential for mass panic, and that's going to be the difficult thing to control. Doomsaying all over social media is really not helping here.

e: lol I've had a minor cough for the last week or so, but it's a productive one (coronavirus doesn't tend to cause that type) and isn't getting any worse and I have no other symptoms, so pretty sure it's just a cold or the standard price of living in awful polluted London. That said, I would much rather not die alone in bed in my tiny poo poo flat in a city I hate with all of my loved ones hundreds of miles away, so I can't pretend I'm not feeling a little anxious.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Mar 10, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

XMNN posted:

I'm so loving frustrated with the government's response to this, it is absolutely blindingly obvious that the situation is developing exactly the same as it has everywhere. what on earth is the point of doing this "wait and see" horseshit when we've already seen

like I'm not a public health professional but I just can't think of any rational reason to delay the drastic poo poo, even considering the fact that the number must go up

It's not a rational number.

Also I've got tickets to see Nick Mason in May, but I purchased cancellation insurance on those.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

ThomasPaine posted:

By far the most dangerous thing is the potential for mass panic, and that's going to be the difficult thing to control. Doomsaying all over social media is really not helping here.

I see this a lot, what terrible danger do people think mass panic will incur? and why is it worse than a million dead?

minema posted:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1eTKeK9vRxgw0KhvKxPCaDrfaHnxQP-n9TsLzsEymviY/edit#gid=0

This spreadsheet is the UK testing data as reported since the outbreak started. Interesting how testing is at the same level now as it was 10 days ago - is it a restriction on number of tests? I don't want to go full conspiracy theorist and say it's to keep overall case numbers down so other explanations would be interesting.

me and my gf are sick and its almost certainly just a bad cold but the NHS wont test you unless you're either confirmed to have a person from wuhan cough in your mouth or if you're already dying. in the latter case you've been spreading it for like 3 weeks at that point.
seems pretty stupid since korea seems to be doing very well in just testing everyone, but then we wouldn't be the UK if we actually did things that worked

minema
May 31, 2011
My husband's school has a student who was in Saudi Arabia last week, very close to the border with Iran, and has flu like symptoms. The school said she had to stay in school and do her mock today as PHE don't advise self isolation.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

Anyone here have much experience with Langley HWDC? They've been holding an import from HK for a week now. Are they just slow at progressing through parcels?

Fumble
Sep 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 17 days!

WhatEvil posted:

My boys have tickets for Snoop Dog in April, Rammstein in June and tickets for Ozzy/Priest that they have had for getting on for like 2.5 years now after No more tours 2 was cancelled.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Communist Thoughts posted:

I see this a lot, what terrible danger do people think mass panic will incur? and why is it worse than a million dead?

Are you honestly asking what danger is posed by tens of thousands of people panic buying essential goods at the exact same time global supply chains are being severed and half the country is either sick or under quarantine.

Isomermaid
Dec 3, 2019

Swish swish, like a fish
The politics of the UKs Eton set is to disempower the poor while bunging money at business and hoping that lets them coast through on the back of capital. The more capital has become entrenched, the easier it is for them to coast and in the last decade or so the lack of any serious challenge to that because it's so loving dug in there has meant that chancers like Johnson can get by on winging it with very little actual expertise apart from what he needs to keep loving the rest of us.

(By challenge I don't mean opposition, I mean disruptive events outside their ability to control)

Brexit was one test of that, and they got through because it happen to align with their base, but we are in no way through it and it is unlikely they would survive the fallout from it unscathed once our isolation starts loving with the machinery of capital too badly. Corona is another, climate change yet another. Some of these things are of their own making, some less so. They have the one button to press and it's always worked for them in the past so they're cheerfully pushing it and they've applied it to problems that it not only can't fix but undermine the whole edifice on which they stand. They just don't realise it yet

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

ThomasPaine posted:

Are you honestly asking what danger is posed by tens of thousands of people panic buying essential goods at the exact same time global supply chains are being severed and half the country is either sick or under quarantine.

yeah, why are looroll shortages "by far the most dangerous" aspect of this? or is the idea that they buy all the food and we all starve?

i can see prescriptions or something, but you can't panic buy those

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm actually heading out tonight to grab a whole load of poo poo and go dump it in a foodbank, because you can bet your bottom UK dollar anyone relying on foodbanks will be the first to suffer from any supermarket shortages

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

yeah, why are looroll shortages "by far the most dangerous" aspect of this? or is the idea that they buy all the food and we all starve?

i can see prescriptions or something, but you can't panic buy those

Among many other risks caused by mass panic, one of them is it's a mass gathering of people in close proximity to panic buy.

minema
May 31, 2011

I'm actually heading out tonight to grab a whole load of poo poo and go dump it in a foodbank, because you can bet your bottom UK dollar anyone relying on foodbanks will be the first to suffer from any supermarket shortages

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/10/food-banks-run-out-of-milk-and-other-staples-as-shoppers-panic-buy-coronavirus

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ThomasPaine posted:

Realistically the coronavirus stuff will not destroy civilisation even in the worst case, but a lot of people will get sick and quite a few of them will die.

yeah, even after the black death and the periodic outbreaks after that civilisation didn't disappear, it was just an incredibly lovely time to be alive even in comparison to general 14th century shittiness of being alive

if anyone's looking for some quarantine themed reading material, I absolutely loved the decameron which is about a bunch of posh Florentines loving off to live in the countryside during the black death and telling stories to each other to stave off boredom.

It's genuinely funny and it was one of the first things I read that made me realise that people have always been, like, actual people. Which might sound stupid but when you read something written by some guy who died 700 years before you were born that's full of dirty jokes about woodcutters loving convents full of nuns or people tricking priests(?, it's been a while since I read it) into kissing their arseholes, it's a bit different from reading a history book or seeing a woodcut or whatever

also as with all old books, definitely get a modern translation, i.e. the penguin classics ones, I like reading things from hundreds of years ago but I'm cheap so I spent a while loving around with public domain translations of things before I realised it was way more effort than it's worth to mentally translate some 18th century guys English

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

I mean even if everyone gets it it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as black death, that was what, 20% of population dead?

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Private Speech posted:

I mean even if everyone gets it it wouldn't be anywhere near as bad as black death, that was what, 20% of population dead?

30-60% for europe

anyway the stuff about panic is overblown coz we got the blitz spirit!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

XMNN posted:

if anyone's looking for some quarantine themed reading material, I absolutely loved the decameron which is about a bunch of posh Florentines loving off to live in the countryside during the black death and telling stories to each other to stave off boredom.

The one that did this for me in a kind of meta way was Don Quixote, just because it was a properly funny book clearly written by someone very smart and witty who didn't at all take himself particularly seriously, but existed in a world completely alien to me. I loved that feeling of uncanny relatability.

30-60% for europe

anyway the stuff about panic is overblown coz we got the blitz spirit!

We've always known that the dumb boomers who go on about the spirit of the blitz as if they actually lived through it would be the first to bitch and whine incredulously the second they experienced any personal inconvenience.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 10, 2020