Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/mollywaggett/status/1235281112684843009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faith For Two
Aug 27, 2015

Beef posted:

Out of interest, what are the challenges of porting an existing IDE project file to GNU Make? I have the marginal benefit of working in an environment where we do everything in Makefiles from the start.

In my situation, the makefile is purely for the build server. People will still develop/debug using the IDE so the makefile needs to keep up with changes in the IDE file.

Which means either writing a script to parse the XML stuff, or hard-coding how to compile it and hoping that if we need to change the build flags, they get changed in both the IDE and makefile. The people above me prefer the second option since the script would likely need to be validated.

The second option scares me because I think I’ll end up spending half my time each sprint answering angry emails that the build server fails even though it builds fine on their machine.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Faith For Two posted:

In my situation, the makefile is purely for the build server. People will still develop/debug using the IDE so the makefile needs to keep up with changes in the IDE file.

Which means either writing a script to parse the XML stuff, or hard-coding how to compile it and hoping that if we need to change the build flags, they get changed in both the IDE and makefile. The people above me prefer the second option since the script would likely need to be validated.

The second option scares me because I think I’ll end up spending half my time each sprint answering angry emails that the build server fails even though it builds fine on their machine.

You need a build system that's runnable on dev machines from the command line, or you're in for a bad time.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I recommend that your idiot devs learn to use their own IDEs properly

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

:emptyquote:

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Has anyone worked at a big company that acquired a small company and then had to deal with the small company’s senior developers not handling it well?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

smackfu posted:

Has anyone worked at a big company that acquired a small company and then had to deal with the small company’s senior developers not handling it well?

Yeah. Big fish, small pond syndrome? :v:

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Imagine every time you create a circular dependency your first thought is "this wouldn't be a problem if there were no dependencies!"

Now, how can I go about explaining to someone why putting every part of 6+ separate product's library code into one huge lib is a dumb idea?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

smackfu posted:

I have been a senior developer in a small company that was acquired by a slightly bigger company. I quit pretty much right away.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

smackfu posted:

I've been in the opposite situation, a 25 person company getting acquired by a 10k+ megacorp. It sucked.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE posted:

Imagine every time you create a circular dependency your first thought is "this wouldn't be a problem if there were no dependencies!"

Now, how can I go about explaining to someone why putting every part of 6+ separate product's library code into one huge lib is a dumb idea?

ASK me about using the Bazel build system and how it's occasionally forced me to create the equivalent of header files because the relevant classes are in different packages.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

smackfu posted:

Yes. The good developers will eventually come around if the new company is challenging/competent enough. I've seen it be a huge opportunity too and 1 company I worked for the CEO was a developer-oriented founder of a company that got bought up (decades ago).

Some good people will leave even so but that's not dramatically different than any big change. The lovely devs will make a lot of noise and bellyache and generally be detractors until they get fired because those kinds of people rarely leave on their own.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

smackfu posted:

I used to hang out with a HR person whose job was essentially going to the small acquihires and informing them that the Party was Over.

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Both "small company is extraordinarily undisciplined and needs to be taught to how to stop jerking off and ship a product" and "large company is extraordinarily hidebound and blind to how much effort they waste following their ridiculous processes" are very common scenarios, and most acquisitions are a combination of the two.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I recently interviewed at a company that was acquihired and from the sounds of it the result was "continue working as normal but also you have Capital now" and so I think they may have used up all the luck for everyone else

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

rjmccall posted:

Both "small company is extraordinarily undisciplined and needs to be taught to how to stop jerking off and ship a product" and "large company is extraordinarily hidebound and blind to how much effort they waste following their ridiculous processes" are very common scenarios, and most acquisitions are a combination of the two.

As is "large company buys small company and has no idea what to do with it".

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

ChickenWing posted:

I recently interviewed at a company that was acquihired and from the sounds of it the result was "continue working as normal but also you have Capital now" and so I think they may have used up all the luck for everyone else

That's the opposite of an acquihire. An acquihire is when the acquiring company shuts down the acquired company because they just wanted the employees and not the actual products.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
I just don't like working in organizations larger than about 15 people. I don't deal well with authority or hierarchy so if there are directives coming from higher ups that I've never even met my instant reaction is "gently caress all that." I know it sounds kind of childish, I think I watched too many 90s slacker movies growing up and it poisoned me against work.

prom candy fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Mar 9, 2020

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

prom candy posted:

I don't deal well with authority or hierarchy so if there are directives coming from higher ups that I've never even met my instant reaction is "gently caress all that."

You sound like a pain in the rear end to work with.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I can see that. I don't have a problem taking orders or direction, I just want to be close to the decision makers and understand their reasoning. "Because head office said so" isn't something I want to hear at work.

The entire last page or so was dedicated to BS that people experience in bigger companies so I don't think I'm alone in this.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings

prom candy posted:

Yeah I can see that. I don't have a problem taking orders or direction, I just want to be close to the decision makers and understand their reasoning. "Because head office said so" isn't something I want to hear at work.

The entire last page or so was dedicated to BS that people experience in bigger companies so I don't think I'm alone in this.

Yeah, given that work is one of the single largest consumers of time in life, I'd really like to have a sense of meaning in what I do. Some folks I've known are just chill to to bang on the keyboard and get a paycheck - but insane mandates without option of appeal is the opposite of what I want.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution

prom candy posted:

I think I watched too many 90s slacker movies growing up and it poisoned me against work.

Office Space was a prime shaper of my generation. It came out just as I was graduating high school and entering the white collar workforce. Some people ended up Peter, some people ended up Michael. The worst of us became Lumberghs and the best of us were Lawrence all along :cool:

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
And anyone who calls themselves a Lawrence is actually a Lumbergh.

(And holy poo poo my autocorrect knows Lumbergh.)

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance

csammis posted:

Office Space was a prime shaper of my generation. It came out just as I was graduating high school and entering the white collar workforce. Some people ended up Peter, some people ended up Michael. The worst of us became Lumberghs and the best of us were Lawrence all along :cool:

Yeah I was I think 16 or 17 when I first saw that movie and I also spent some time in grade 11 working in a horribly soulless call centre. Between that and office space I always just kinda felt this feeling of "I can't do this" and so far I've been lucky enough to work in more non-traditional places, and right now I'm full time remote on a really small team.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

https://phys.org/news/2020-03-math-person-code.html

New research from the University of Washington finds that a natural aptitude for learning languages is a stronger predictor of learning to program than basic math knowledge, or numeracy. That's because writing code also involves learning a second language, an ability to learn that language's vocabulary and grammar, and how they work together to communicate ideas and intentions.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
eat poo poo, early 2000s high school curriculum that told me i couldn't take programming classes anymore because i was dropping math

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I credit highschool Latin for whatever coding ability I managed to absorb. Especially under an ex monk who was about as particular as a computer regarding syntax.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
I don't buy it.

Or I squandered my "second language" slot with the ability to write same CRUD screen over and over again until I retire

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Pedestrian Xing posted:

I've been in the opposite situation, a 25 person company getting acquired by a 10k+ megacorp. It sucked.

Yeah, my first job out of college was at a small company where there were only two levels between me and the CEO. We got acquired by $BIGCO and suddenly I was so far down in the org chart I'd need the Hubble to see the top.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

MisterZimbu posted:

I don't buy it.

Or I squandered my "second language" slot with the ability to write same CRUD screen over and over again until I retire

Same. I'm incredibly bad at learning other spoken languages, but computer languages I can handle.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I took 6 years of Spanish and have been keeping it up with Duolingo but I don't think my barely passable and minimally maintained fluency in Spanish has any bearing on my ability to learn programming languages.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Protocol7 posted:

I took 6 years of Spanish and have been keeping it up with Duolingo but I don't think my barely passable and minimally maintained fluency in Spanish has any bearing on my ability to learn programming languages.

Volmarias posted:

Same. I'm incredibly bad at learning other spoken languages, but computer languages I can handle.

MisterZimbu posted:

I don't buy it.

I don't know, y'all don't seem terribly great at your first language either. That you just didn't read the linked article or the provided summary very well. It's a stronger predictor than math skills. Doesn't mean it's a perfect predictor or that exceptions don't exist. Just that the patterns of neural activity which correlate with language acquisition skill also seem to correlate with ease of learning programming.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If it makes you feel better, the best indicator is a high level of pedantry.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

quote:

Those who learned Python faster, and with greater accuracy, tended to have a mix of strong problem-solving and language abilities.

I dunno, seems like one of those things would have a more profound effect on your programming success rate than the other.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

What the study itself seems to indicate is that "language aptitude" (as measured by MLAT) was a strong predictor of variance in rate of learning during ten 45 minute sessions (unsupervised but monitored) with a Codecademy Python course. It doesn't sound like the curriculum involved much of anything would require strong math skills, and the end goal was to program Rock-Paper-Scissors in Python.

Programming accuracy (three people rated how goodly they programmed a Rock-Paper-Scissors game) in their best fitted model model was predicted most strongly by fluid intelligence (50.1% of variance) with language aptitude a distant second (8.7%).

Their best fitted model for declarative knowledge (how well they scored on a 50-item multiple choice test after their sessions) didn't include language aptitude.

There's also some brain scan poo poo that seems real loosey goosey if you're trying to draw any sort of conclusions about how language aptitude relates to programming aptitude :shrug:

Wallet fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Mar 11, 2020

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

rjmccall posted:

As is "large company buys small company and has no idea what to do with it".

"We thought we knew what we bought, but oh god were we wrong", liberal quote from the CEO of the mothership a few months after the acquisition. The last couple of years has been quite a journey.

Volmarias posted:

If it makes you feel better, the best indicator is a high level of pedantry.

:golfclap:

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
So I'm having a pretty hard time staying focused at work lately, anyone have any suggestions for getting into flow state when it's just not coming? It seems like my brain is just bouncing off the walls trying to think of anything except what I need to be working on.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Take a break and meditate

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Take frequent breaks, and try pair programming if you've got a colleague who likes it and suitable hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Take frequent breaks, and try pair programming if you've got a colleague who likes it and suitable hardware.

"Suitable hardware"?

Two keyboards hooked up to one PC?