Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
This poll is closed.
Cool 21 75.00%
Nah 7 25.00%
Total: 28 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

For my M11+, can I yeet Kotoshogiku and pick up Ishiura for day 4 please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Marching Powder posted:

i'm glad i picked kotonowaka, not because he's doing amazingly but because i think he's a kid to watch. apparently his granddad was a yokozuna and his dad was a... sekiwake i think? anyway he's got stuff to live up to and seems to have a lot of talent. his win tonight was amazing. and 3-0 chiyomaru! i love the giant cloud man who is winning. he's going to win this tournament because everything is insane.

For the non-spoiler part, I took a liking to Kotonowaka coming in to the tournament because his story was pretty cool. Dad was a Sekiwake who also fought as Kotonowaka and is currently the stablemaster, which he inherited by marrying the daughter of former Yokozuna Kotozakura. Dad seems like a pretty good coach as all the KotoX guys are his and there’s a bunch of them around makuuchi and juryo.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!
loved the little superman-punch leg thrust hakuho used at the very end there

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Lid posted:

is there a cheat sheet to identify who is on the basho at any given moment

What Marching Powder said, but also the torikumi page at Sumo reference (http://sumodb.sumogames.de/). Its handy if you want to learn to recognise the wrestler's kanji because it flicks easily between English and Japanese without changing the page layout.

In other news, I was thinking about Terutsuyoshi's saltening and wondering whether the NSK encourages someone to be "the salt guy" so that there's always a "salt guy". The previous "salt guy" was Asahisho, who was terminally Juryo and dropped to Makushita in July 2017. I was looking for a video of his salt throwing to share and I found a video of MAXIMUM SALT:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xG-7TKK2juU&t=87s

Arguably one of the bigger losses from the ban on social media is Asahisho's antics. He was in a lot of odd photos, including my favorite:

Also:

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Great bouts today! It's too bad there was no crowd, they would have lost their mind at some of the action in the ring. I loved Yutakayama vs Enho, and also Aoiyama bringing the heat. Hakuho v. Takayasu was a bit rough though. They both seem off their step, and probably injured.

Day 3 standings:

code:
11	anakha
5	Banana Canada
11	bartolimu
9	Bentai
8	bessantj
6	Charles Gnarwin
11	Dias
7	GoatSeeGuy
7	ilmucche
7	jmzero
10	Jobbo_Fett
10	Kenning
8	Lid
6	LlamaTrauma
8	Maigius
8	Marching Powder
8	Martytoof
8	pseudodragon
8	QuasiQuack
6	riderchop
6	Robviously
6	Scythe
14	sivad
11	Spokes
6	whats for dinner

Martytoof posted:

For my M11+, can I yeet Kotoshogiku and pick up Ishiura for day 4 please?

Trade registered.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I'm just glad I made it to double-digits!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Can I trade Takayasu for Mitakeumi?

Either Takayasu or Tochinoshin were getting dropped from my team and at least Tochinoshin got me a point today and won't be up against all the top guys.

I don't watch all the matches of a basho because I'm still dipping my toes in, so I didn't know about Ishiura being built like a brick house and looking like a drip lord in his gold mawashi. Definitely going on the list of my guys.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

Combining two things I love: sumo and momoiro clover z

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Could I do the same? I totally thought I had Mitakuemi since I was waffling between the two and forgot who I landed on. If Mita is full up, I’ll stick with the big hairy bastard since I feel bad for the guy and still want to root for him a little.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Ishiura being built like a brick house and looking like a drip lord in his gold mawashi. Definitely going on the list of my guys.

his matches are often really good. if enho gained 10kgs of muscle and got to ishiura's size, he'd be sekiwaki imo.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

pseudodragon posted:

Could I do the same? I totally thought I had Mitakuemi since I was waffling between the two and forgot who I landed on. If Mita is full up, I’ll stick with the big hairy bastard since I feel bad for the guy and still want to root for him a little.

I feel bad for dropping my pinoy brother but at this point it looks like he is not with it. I'm wondering if he's hurt or suffering a crisis of confidence after the demotion.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

He looks like the sumo equivalent of voting “present”. He merely exists and takes up space in the ring.

His first two he looked poor. He put up more of a fight today but unfortunately it was against GOAT. Even then, he seemed to be unable to do much.

I’m sad that he sucks now.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Its that opening slap, really throws off his opponents.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its that opening slap, really throws off his opponents.

Hakuho does that "opening slap, sidestep" tachiai all the time, it's like he's doing a leading jab to hide his follow-up attack and I don't really see other rikishi playing around with that kinda stuff in sumo.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
saw a video where hakuho breaks down exactly why he slaps in the tachiai and it makes so much sense and is obviously so effective i can't believe more people don't try it

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

It's probably just not worth the risk of allowing an underhook or a belt grab if you don't have the insane handspeed and reflexes of someone like Hakuho. I was in awe and watched the video like ten times when I learned about him pulling off a nekodamashi twice in one match. It just seems like an attack that should be fake and not work.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Its quiet, too quiet.

e: A singers basho

BONGHITZ fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Mar 11, 2020

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Either Takayasu or Tochinoshin were getting dropped from my team and at least Tochinoshin got me a point today and won't be up against all the top guys.

I don't watch all the matches of a basho because I'm still dipping my toes in, so I didn't know about Ishiura being built like a brick house and looking like a drip lord in his gold mawashi. Definitely going on the list of my guys.

pseudodragon posted:

Both trades registered for Day 4. Mitakeumi is no longer available for trade.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

It's probably just not worth the risk of allowing an underhook or a belt grab if you don't have the insane handspeed and reflexes of someone like Hakuho. I was in awe and watched the video like ten times when I learned about him pulling off a nekodamashi twice in one match. It just seems like an attack that should be fake and not work.

Our boy Hakuho is one of the most perfect athletes of all time. For anyone who's just starting out watching sumo, it's really worth watching a few Hakuho matches from 2-5 years ago when he was truly in his prime. It's uncanny how quickly he moves, and how powerful his every movement and stance is. It's otherworldly.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Finally watched the day 3 matches tonight, and goddamn that low angle camera really shows Tochi’s lower right leg is just wrecked. The thing was practically fire engine red. :(

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

oh no! poor chiyotairyu! that was an absolutely hideous fall. great win from ishiura. but i haven't cringed and verbally exclaimed in reaction to a fight like that since probably anderson silva's leg break.

kotonowaka looking good and skillful still, aoiyama looking absolutely monstrous though. god drat.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Bentai posted:

Finally watched the day 3 matches tonight, and goddamn that low angle camera really shows Tochi’s lower right leg is just wrecked. The thing was practically fire engine red. :(

Yeah. That looks profoundly uncomfortable.

Hakuho's match on day 3 felt like watching a clinic on timing and positioning. It looked like he knew exactly when to start and stop pushing and pulling so that he didn't expend energy pointlessly or put himself in a vulnerable position.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

bad night for injuries :-(

shodai absolutely dominated enho. enho had his grips and shodai just rinsed him. daiesho had a cracking win against the ozeki. i thought okinoumi's look to the heavens after hakuho just turns him around and puts him over the rope said everything that needed to be said. dude is just impossibly good.

kakuryu / takayasu was a marvelous fight. i am devastated that such a good fight ended in such tragedy. chiyotairyu and takayasu are almost certainly both out now. hope that's the end of such things for this basho.

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Marching Powder posted:

bad night for injuries :-(

kakuryu / takayasu was a marvelous fight. i am devastated that such a good fight ended in such tragedy. chiyotairyu and takayasu are almost certainly both out now. hope that's the end of such things for this basho.

yeah, that was super gnarly

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Today:

God drat RIP Takayasu and Chiyotairyu

And in general:

I dunno man, it feels like Takayasu is just spiralling down, and with this new injury ... I dunno, future's not bright. I'm being super pessimistic right now but I can see this being the end. He's not super old but he's also not fresh and his ability to come back has been iffy at best so far. I don't see him pulling a Tochinoshin and dropping down to baby ranks and making a glorious comeback.

This is difficult since Takayasu was "my guy" when I started watching Sumo so seeing this happen I am just awash with a general feeling of disappointment and sadness.

loving Tamawashi..

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Martytoof posted:

This is difficult since Takayasu was "my guy"

yeah that's tochinoshin for me so i'm right there with you. it was heartbreaking to get into the sport based off an impressive performance form a couple of years ago only to realise i'll only ever see an excruciating, embarrassing decline. at least you had some good times with your sumo-bae!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Requesting to trade Tamawashi for Kagayaki.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Not enjoying my big boys being hurt, they really need some kind of protocol for these things

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

I kind of noticed on the first day that people were flying further due to not having people to crash into, but didn’t notice until today that the ground is just straight up wood and maybe some carpet. If the area is going to be empty, they could at least pile up the unused zanbuton as padding.

sivad
Feb 28, 2005

pseudodragon posted:

I kind of noticed on the first day that people were flying further due to not having people to crash into, but didn’t notice until today that the ground is just straight up wood and maybe some carpet. If the area is going to be empty, they could at least pile up the unused zanbuton as padding.

Yeah without any crowd noise to drown it out, it was really apparent how hard they hit the ground.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
It was really weird to see Takayasu take that fall and people just sort of hovering around him as if nobody had any clue what to do.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What was absolutely bizarre was hearing him yell and cry.

Like I wasn’t prepared for that at all.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

av by @daikonquest!
Just waiting for the day I slip into last place in the standings!

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

riderchop posted:

Just waiting for the day I slip into last place in the standings!

Banana Canada posted:

Picking all the worst performers from the previous basho. :unsmigghh:

That Hattorizakura loser tag is mine you hear!

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

he knows...

Poor Takayasu. The match started and I thought of course he'd get a kinboshi the match after I trade him but instead he got a horrifying injury. Seeing him just lie there until they picked him up by his mawashi was really sad.

I'm starting to think that Enho needs that crowd to back him to get things going. Rough go for my favorite so far.

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral
what a weird basho this is

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
It's like his soul was oshidashi'd from his body.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

I love the silence

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

Tsurugisho has pulled out of the tournament. No word on Chiyotairyu. Takayasu is obviously out. Last reports I've seen waffle between a full muscle tear, a partial muscle tear, or an ACL injury. :smith:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

i hope i did not just see chiyomaru's balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Super late to watch day 4, but I've got results. I should have day 5 earlier tomorrow. Pretty devastated to see Takayasu so hurt. He made ozeki right as I started watching and I always liked him. What a rough go of it. Aoiyama has been incredibly strong this basho though, I've really enjoyed his bouts so far.

anakha posted:

Requesting to trade Tamawashi for Kagayaki.

Trade registered.

Day 4 standings:

code:
14	anakha
8	Banana Canada
15	bartolimu
12	Bentai
12	bessantj
10	Charles Gnarwin
16	Dias
12	GoatSeeGuy
10	ilmucche
10	jmzero
13	Jobbo_Fett
14	Kenning
12	Lid
8	LlamaTrauma
10	Maigius
11	Marching Powder
11	Martytoof
11	pseudodragon
12	QuasiQuack
8	riderchop
7	Robviously
9	Scythe
19	sivad
13	Spokes
9	whats for dinner
So far sivad's dream team is just smoking everyone, with 1 loss total in 4 days. Very impressive start.