Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

PerOlus posted:

What's the state of VR on mac? API-wise SteamVR works, but Oculus does not?
I want to hold a workshop in virtual youtubing, but trying to avoid dragging around a full workstation.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/03/03/palmer-luckey-on-why-theres-no-oculus-rift-for-mac/

Palmer Luckey posted:

That is up to Apple. If they ever release a good computer, we will do it.

He's not wrong, uh if you want a serious answer maybe boot the Mac into Bootcamp. Once in Windows you can run the WMR home from Integrated Graphics, or you could maybe use one of those Thunderbolt GPU enclosures to add a graphics card?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oculus.com says it needs as a minimum Windows 10, no mention of Mac.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

DashDash Racing new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwQfwo0-54

That end though...

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Turin Turambar posted:

DashDash Racing new trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKwQfwo0-54

That end though...

what is this, leisure suit larry racing? It wasn't especially egregious but getting horny and slamming your car horn is uh an interesting way of expressing yourself in a game

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
According to I Think You Should Leave, this is very normal

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just for general curiosity; How is the Vive Pro as a headset? I've heard good and bad about it from various people, and it might well wind up being my best upgrade if the Index's IPD is indeed a no-go for me.

My IPD's higher than 70mm and it's been hit-and-miss for people over that as best I can look up.

It's fine. About as comfortable as a Vive + DAS. The audio is WAY worse than the Vive+DAS or CV1 (it' really lacks bass). The display is quite good, much better than OG Vive or CV1 but not as good as the Index.

The tracking is fine with V1/V2 lighthouses. I found no difference between 2 V1 and 2 V2 lighthouses. Apparently 3 V2 lighthouses fixes the minor tracking issues/reacquire faster that can exist with controllers.

If you can get a Vive Pro for cheap it's a great HMD except for the audio. The controllers either V1 or V2 have their problems and the world has moved away from big touchpads so many games will have issues. Some games are really good with the Vive controllers however.

BadMedic
Jul 22, 2007

I've never actually seen him heal anybody.
Pillbug
I'll be honest, I misread that as discounting the Vive Pro and was about to congratulate HTC for a half way sensible decision.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I went back to play around in the Boneworks intro room after learning a bunch more movement mechanics in the later rooms, and I really want to know what I look like Octodadding my way up the walls and pipes. That's gotta be some :stonklol: material.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
I think I have to make and freeze a snapshot of my system for Beat Saber. One of the maps that kind of was a benchmark of performance suddenly plays smoothly, even after bumping back to maximum reflections and meanwhile also double the MSAA. Specifically this section just used to bog down my system. It's still the same Windows version, only things updated meanwhile are SteamVR and the NVidia drivers. And some of the mods I guess. gently caress knows what was responsible again.

Also, I just found one of the cooler laser shows in a Beat Saber map. It's fun in the headset.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Ugh I still can't decide if I want to upgrade from my cv1 to the index

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008
I wouldn’t expect Mac support for Oculus. That was a promise made by Palmer - at this point the number of people on Macs interested in VR isn’t high enough to sustain the market and that’s the number relevant to those who would not do it for the principle of the thing.

While the hardware has gotten much better, that’s been a function of Apple basically abandoning standards and deciding to just support the major engines directly with their custom drivers and custom silicon.

Apple basically signed onto standards then exited the standards groups, notably OpenXR, which caused a large amount of thrash. Until Apple releases their XR OS, plus maybe a couple of years, things probably won’t converge enough to support Macs IMO. A lot of that is on Apple.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Claes Oldenburger posted:

Ugh I still can't decide if I want to upgrade from my cv1 to the index
If it's an option, it seems affordable...

< insert Shia LaBeouf meme here >

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Not to mention most MacBooks don't have the graphical horsepower to do VR anyway. Like the higher end new MacBook Pro 16 could do some entry level stuff (it's apparently roughly at the level of a 1660), but the card in the lower end one, based on a quick read, misses the mark.

I guess some iMacs could but I feel like they don't have the market share to make it a real useful endeavour.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

jubjub64 posted:

Facebook AI research to possibly/eventually give Quest "67% MORE GPU POWER".
https://uploadvr.com/facebook-ai-quest-superres/

Please more gpu. And kill the Go while you're at it, Facebook. Make my life easier..

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

mutata posted:

Please more gpu. And kill the Go while you're at it, Facebook. Make my life easier..

Rumors are the Go is already dead. They stopped selling it to enterprise and apparently the I believe production had been discontinued for a very long time. The group Xiaomi group that did most of the work was apparently disbanded in August.

https://venturebeat.com/2019/08/05/xiaomi-reportedly-disbands-mi-vr-team-but-facebook-is-still-backing-oculus-go/

I believe they are just selling through the stock and don't care one bit about it anymore. With the Quest being so good I don't see Facebook doing anything except a minor rev of the Quest with a better headstrap, maybe better weight distribution, including the link cable in the box and doing everything they can to get the price down.

I'd love for more power in the Quest but I think they might stick with the current SOC for awhile.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Jack Trades posted:

Arm Swinger, I was surprised at how loving good it is.

It's really good, so good that I don't even feel weird using it while holding a two-handed rifle. It almost makes me feel like one of those plastic army men, except it's my arms tethered together instead of my legs.

Boba Pearl posted:

I'm stuck in the Walking Dead thing, I hope I'm not loving anything up by going back home all the time, but in Walking Dead you eventually get a picture, and you find out exactly where that picture was drawn, but it's crawling with goons who shoot you in the face for even thinking of walking over to that area, and I'm a little at a lost what they're expecting me to do.

I got through that part by finding the nearby garage you can go inside, climbing up onto the roof and then across and just taking people out one at a time as they funneled through the door to the balcony. Man the human AI in that game is garbage but it's still a pretty enjoyable game.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Mar 10, 2020

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSeUN_tIzok

Can't wait.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Is there a must-have list of apps/games for this Index I supposedly have coming my way? Games, experiences, utilities, etc. Fun one-offs to let the friends/family try out when they visit, actual games with a goal, whatever. Personally don’t really care much about pure sandbox play, but other than that, what’s immediately recommended?

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Bad Munki posted:

Is there a must-have list of apps/games for this Index I supposedly have coming my way? Games, experiences, utilities, etc. Fun one-offs to let the friends/family try out when they visit, actual games with a goal, whatever. Personally don’t really care much about pure sandbox play, but other than that, what’s immediately recommended?

Everyone is going to yell Beat Saber. Don't think, just buy. Everyone from my parents, grandparents, non-gamers, they've all loved it after the mechanics crystalize in their brain which takes like 30 seconds. Maybe less.

Beyond that, have you checked out the OP? The second post is just about games and it's an excellent selection.

after scrolling through it drat that is one thorough op. respect

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh, ha. Haven’t been back to the OP in a while. And I just always assume that an OP on a thread like this is perpetually out of date. I’ll take a look, thanks.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Lone Echo and Echo Arena

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Sab... poo poo.
Super Hot is still great.

Lone Echo in the narrative experience gewnre.
A Fisherman's Tale and Virtual Virtual Reality are also pretty nice.

Vacation Simulator for the 'first time in VR' app.
Dead walking Saints and sinners for the traditional game experience with exploration, action, crafting, stealth...
Boneworks is divisive, but it seems there are more people who like it than the opposite.

Moss gives an idea of how cool a decent platformer in VR can be.

In the sport category, Eleven TT is an ideal realistic sport for VR.

For tons of realistic firearms and lots of content: H3VR
For realistic melee combat: people recommend Blade & Sorcery but right now they have the system, a prototype, not a game. Wait 1-1.5 years.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Mar 10, 2020

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Man I wish Beat Saber had a general demo. Everybody loves it but $30 is pretty steep to gamble when I'm lukewarm on regular rhythm games even if it might win me over in VR.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Lemming posted:

Lone Echo and Echo Arena
I'll have to sort out what I need to do to do Occulus stuff on my Index, I'll look into that, thanks.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I wish Beat Saber had a general demo. Everybody loves it but $30 is pretty steep to gamble when I'm lukewarm on regular rhythm games even if it might win me over in VR.
I was under the impression that with Steam's refund policy, every game is a full demo for some number of hours.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Captain Hygiene posted:

My Quest had one...

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

I'm gonna throw Premium Bowling as a casual VR recommendation. It's not quite as spot on as Eleven Table Tennis, but it's closer than anything else has gotten to simulating bowling. Make sure you have a decent amount of space though, technically you can play standing but you really want room-scale.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Refund it if you don't like it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Serious Sam VR is great, like it still feels as good in VR as it does on the flat screen. Probably even better since you can mix and match akimbo guns, lean around corners and even fire all around you blindly.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bad Munki posted:

I was under the impression that with Steam's refund policy, every game is a full demo for some number of hours.

Somehow I always completely forget about that despite having used it once :tipshat:

Turin Turambar posted:

My Quest had one...

I saw that and assumed it was only supported for Quests, which I don't have (not that it matters given the reminder about refunds)

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/m2Whj08.gifv

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
:gonk:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's definitely not what "petting" means.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

But... why?

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
For some reason all of my brother's friends all want to play "I Expect You To Die" more than any other VR game on my Quest. Like, they don't care about Beat Saber or anything like that.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009
Speaking as one of the twelve or so people in the world who still has a Leap Motion taped to the front of their VR headset: I will not be downloading that product.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Bad Munki posted:

Audica is better than beat saber.

Fight me.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Nalin posted:

For some reason all of my brother's friends all want to play "I Expect You To Die" more than any other VR game on my Quest. Like, they don't care about Beat Saber or anything like that.

I actually really enjoyed it when it came out. Nothing that really blows your mind, but a solid experience.

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?
Has anyone's Index shipping status progressed beyond "Processing" yet? Mine hasn't and I'm starting to get worried...

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Junk posted:

Has anyone's Index shipping status progressed beyond "Processing" yet? Mine hasn't and I'm starting to get worried...

Nope! :ohdear:

reddit has lots of people that changed from "Processing" to "Shipping Soon" this afternoon and it looks like tracking numbers started going out within the past few hours

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Junk posted:

Mine went to "Shipping Soon" about an hour ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junk posted:

You gotta consider just how many people slammed their ordering system on Monday. It's probably gonna take a wee bit to process gently caress-knows-how-many orders.