Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
My understanding is that in Canada something being true isn't a defence against libel, which makes it very easy to sue people to shut them up.

In the UK it is a defence, but the burden of proof is on the defendant. So if you say something libelous you need to be able to back it up with evidence.

I'm not a lawyer though, so I could be completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

This minis company just outed themselves

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

That uh, sure is a take considering the last 2,000 years of anything ever. Wow.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

It’s so nice that we have all these fascists and racists happily outing themselves.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.

Leperflesh posted:

I am not a lawyer and am just making an educated guess here.

You're pretty much right. I've been the lawyer in this kind of shitshow and oh yes, a big part of your job is parrying attempts to get your client in a small room to be shouted at/mentally abused/browbeaten into giving up. Arsewipes like Zak can't just win, they have to be seen to win and to exult in humiliating their enemies. To punish everyone who dared even think they were less than perfect.

I will send some money Mandy's way come my next paycycle.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Leperflesh posted:

Mediation is probably being handled by their respective lawyers. It's not impossible they wound up in a room together, but if she didn't want to, she could certainly have her lawyer do it. And by email or letter or whatever. And it was probably more of settlement talks around how zac thinks a fair settlement would be mandy giving him a bunch of money and making a public statement retracting her entire story, and mandy's lawyer says "lol gently caress off, no."

I am not a lawyer and am just making an educated guess here.

I am a lawyer and many mediations take place with the parties in separate rooms and the mediator moving from room to room conveying information to both sides. This does vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction, but mediators tend to have some flex in terms of how they handle things.

In a case with these sorts of allegations, I'd be somewhat surprised if they were forced to sit in the same room for anything beyond an initial conversation before breaking to separate rooms -- and possibly not even that.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Xelkelvos posted:

I honestly hate Twitter for this sort of thing because it's tedious pain to try and find the start of it. You should post it in A/T or something because I'm sure there's some Goons who'd love to talk about this stuff at length.

Running into someone IRL so uneducated on Judaism as to not know we didn't believe in Christ convinced me to make a thread.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Does Zak S have an endgame beyond vengeance? Like, even if he successfully sues Mandy into financial ruin, it's not like Gencon is ever going to let him back in ever again

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Froghammer posted:

Does Zak S have an endgame beyond vengeance? Like, even if he successfully sues Mandy into financial ruin, it's not like Gencon is ever going to let him back in ever again
"If I establish Control again then I can establish All Control again and then I will be in Control again." sayeth the abuser and narc brain.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Froghammer posted:

I doubt an abusive poo poo like Zak S NEEDS an endgame beyond inflicting abuse and pain at the behest of his hatred, but I assume if there's an endgame beyond revenge it's silencing his critics. It's one of them chilling effects where if blogging about a shithead gets you in 5-6 digits of legal fees then maybe the next person who calls you out as a toxic boil on the rear end of humanity will stay quiet and make it easier to find victims.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Froghammer posted:

He's a jerk who wants to hurt someone he feels wronged him. We've all run across these psychos, maybe some sort of (probably minor) dirt was done to him at some point in the distant past or there was a legit grievance and then he just goes nuts and keeps trying to hurt the other person, and then just goes on trying to hurt them way beyond the point of justice or even vengeance. Or maybe it all just exists in his own hosed up head, who cares? The guy is not some evil mastermind, he's an extremely toxic narcissist rear end in a top hat who keeps lists of people he wants to ruin because he doesn't like their opinions. Absolute scum idiot.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Oh jeez I looked at his blog and it's literally just a series of posts demanding the people who hate him debate him

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Froghammer posted:

He's literally just a series of posts demanding the people who hate him debate him

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Zak, who definitely doesn't have wildly different standards for what constitutes 'proof' depending on if it's about him or someone else posted:

Everyone has to always assume good faith until you can prove otherwise.

:lmao:

Astounding.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

potatocubed posted:

My understanding is that in Canada something being true isn't a defence against libel, which makes it very easy to sue people to shut them up.

In the UK it is a defence, but the burden of proof is on the defendant. So if you say something libelous you need to be able to back it up with evidence.

I'm not a lawyer though, so I could be completely wrong.

Truth and fair comment are both defences under UK libel law - you don't have to prove something to be true, merely to prove that something is something a reasonable person could believe. You don't actually need to be right, just to have supporting evidence. English Libel Law also got cleaned up massively at the start of the decade in two ways - first by Mr. Justice Eady (who was the chief judge on most English Libel cases in the 00s) stepping back from being in charge of most of the most important cases, and the second being the Defamation Act of 2013. So it deserved its reputation and that got fixed.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Thinking of Brad Wardell and how he bullied the woman who accused him of sexual harrassment into dropping the charge and every conversation about it involves him bringing up his supposedly framed "not a sexual harasser" certificate.

Darwinism
Jan 6, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

Thinking of Brad Wardell and how he bullied the woman who accused him of sexual harrassment into dropping the charge and every conversation about it involves him bringing up his supposedly framed "not a sexual harasser" certificate.

Ah, the Kobe treatment

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
We're all very lucky that Zak doesn't have access to bees.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/45343/wotc-gts-southern-hobby-more-pull-out-gama-expo-over-coronavirus-fears

So, this is interesting. Some big names have pulled out of the GAMA Trade Show this year.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Yeah, its looking like Emerald City Comicon next weekend is going to be moving forward without a large portion of the vendors and such. Tor and Dark Horse pulled out early, more are expected.

Which is fine by me because a side hustle I'm doing is security for it, so it'll make my job chill.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Froghammer posted:

Beyond the baseline "abuser finding more ways to abuse his victims," back when he filed the lawsuit, he made it clear that he's going to commit to "Well in the view of THE LAW I was unfairly maligned and cast to the fringes of the TTRPG community" if he got any kind of favorable ruling. With a side of threateningly shaking his lawyers at anyone who points out that they still believe he sucks poo poo.

It does say a lot that he's not trying one of these SLAPP suits in the US right now, or against any organizations that could put up a nastier fight, like perhaps Gencon for believing the accusations and banning him for life.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Carados posted:

Yeah, its looking like Emerald City Comicon next weekend is going to be moving forward without a large portion of the vendors and such. Tor and Dark Horse pulled out early, more are expected.

Which is fine by me because a side hustle I'm doing is security for it, so it'll make my job chill.

Please don't get sick dude!

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Nuns with Guns posted:

It does say a lot that he's not trying one of these SLAPP suits in the US right now, or against any organizations that could put up a nastier fight, like perhaps Gencon for believing the accusations and banning him for life.

Abusers and bullies are ultimately cowards, and don't try to confront those that are stronger or have more resources than them.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

Yeah, and specifically picking somebody in a country without any strong laws in her defense. This is probably how he also gets around vexatious litigation (which is hard to prove anywhere to be fair).

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Please don't get sick dude!

No longer a problem! Cancelled.

(I'm far more likely to get sick from my girlfriend, who is doing nursing school's practical coursework at a nursing home that is part of the same chain that had the deaths.)

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

alg posted:

This minis company just outed themselves

It's a little long, but you might enjoy this multi-part "Why the Spartans are over-rated dicks"

https://acoup.blog/tag/sparta/

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Persians were pretty cool, tho.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
Also quite clean, and good-looking. Unfortunately their ideas of how men should look did not survive later centuries.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
Zak's been having an extremely normal day.

Please explain at length why you have not cancelled either yourself or Luke Crane.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Deptfordx posted:

It's a little long, but you might enjoy this multi-part "Why the Spartans are over-rated dicks"

https://acoup.blog/tag/sparta/
Everyone always hated the Spartans. They were well-known to be dicks by all their neighbours.

But they occasionally laid down a historically sick burn so they get cred for that.

Razorwired
Dec 7, 2008

It's about to start!

Froghammer posted:

He's a trust fund kid that sells art to other rich assholes. There's no version of this story where Zak s livelihood is ruined. He just wants back in TTRPG spaces because the whole "I'm a elfgames nerd that totally has sex with hot ladies" got him a little fame among OSR incels.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's pretty cool that the industry has moved past the point where his schtick is viable.

That really reflects more on the community's growth and health than it does on his toxicity.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I agree, but: it's really only because of the rape. Without the credible rape accusation, I think he'd still be doing his toxic poo poo with loads of followers today.

We've still a long way to go.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

moths posted:

It's pretty cool that the industry has moved past the point where his schtick is viable.

That really reflects more on the community's growth and health than it does on his toxicity.

Nah, it took one of the most damning accusations imaginable from someone incredibly close to him whose credibility you couldn't question without looking like a piece of poo poo even outside of "woke" circles. I think the industry is slightly better than it used to be, but this mostly had to do with something too big and too unambiguous to wave off even if you're loving Raggi.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

At the end of the day, Beast still is something produced by the modern game industry.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I agree that it took a lot to actually happen, but don't overlook that it happened.

In a perfect world "doesn't tolerate rapists" should be a low bar, but (for the most part) we're finally on the other side of it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Lord_Hambrose posted:

At the end of the day, Beast still is something produced by the modern game industry.

Beast was one guy who was, for the most part, widely respected and trusted by the gaming industry cashing in every single amount of that respect and trust in one fell swoop to essentially self publish a confession to his own prior bad acts along with a big old list of very uncompelling reasons why you should still love him in spite of that.

That's one of the most bizarre parts about it, he was given several opportunities to change course or walk back the thinly veiled references to rape, but the last thing he wrote before being #metoo'd was him removing the metaphor entirely and just blatantly making it about how hard it is to be a "recovering Rapist".

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Oh for sure, Beast is perfectly explicable.

Onyx Path still published it, and did publish supplements.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

So, I don't actually know how common this is but Paizo is charging full cover price for each individual book to have access to their materials on Roll20 and people are in a hullabaloo about it.

Like, I understand wanting to monetize online play but Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Zurui posted:

So, I don't actually know how common this is but Paizo is charging full cover price for each individual book to have access to their materials on Roll20 and people are in a hullabaloo about it.

Like, I understand wanting to monetize online play but Jesus.

So... it's not abnormal.

For comparison:

PF2E:
Core Rules: MSRP $60, Currently $48
Bestiary: MSRP $50, Not Yet Implemented
Game Mastery Guide: MSRP $50

D&D5E:
Player's Handbook: MSRP $30
Xanathar's Guide: MSRP $30
PHB+XGE Bundle: $50
Monster Manual: MSRP $30
PHB + MM + Essentials kit: $80
DM's Guide: Does not exist???
Adventure books (Wildemount, Avernus, Saltmarsh, Waterdeep, etc.): MSRP $50/ea

Now, 5E players often complain that they have to buy the books separately on R20 and D&DBeyond (the not quite 1st,, not quite 3rd party solution). PF2E, instead, gives you free PDFs from the mothership site when you buy a book on R20, or if you have a PDF on the mothership already, gives you a discount on the R20 version.

So, yeah, Paizo isn't really out-of-line compared to the industry leader.