Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

Great battle report!

Today I painted another Valentine, this one is a Lend-Lease Mark 2 in service with the Soviets:

Technically it's the wrong colour, since I'm going for 1941/42 and the first Valentines shipped to the USSR were painted in the British home service brown colour, whereas later British vehicles were painted in this kind of khaki green. I'm making the same assumption a lot of people on the internet seem to make, which is that the Soviets wouldn't have repainted them when taking possession.

Holy crap, that looks great!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
How long does it actually take to repaint a real tank?

Is having all your tanks the same colour useful enough (eg in terms of identifying friendlies) that you would bother to do so?

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

GotLag posted:

Is having all your tanks the same colour useful enough (eg in terms of identifying friendlies) that you would bother to do so?

It's not just a matter of time, but also available resources. But it was enough of a bother that there were dark grey german panzers in North Africa, and desert scheme yellow panzers on the Eastern front, due to formations receiving new orders and not having the time to repaint. And that was before the German war industry started to fall apart.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fish and Chimps posted:

Holy crap, that looks great!

Thanks!

These recent Battlefront kits almost paint themselves; it's mostly just a base colour, some drybrushing and then a wash. Very quick and easy, and the exaggerated details like the rivets do all the work.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Endman posted:

Great battle report!

Today I painted another Valentine, this one is a Lend-Lease Mark 2 in service with the Soviets:

Technically it's the wrong colour, since I'm going for 1941/42 and the first Valentines shipped to the USSR were painted in the British home service brown colour, whereas later British vehicles were painted in this kind of khaki green. I'm making the same assumption a lot of people on the internet seem to make, which is that the Soviets wouldn't have repainted them when taking possession.

It's a beaut either way.

Speaking of tonk colors: if the late panzers were painted dunkelgelb, does that mean that every with grey panzers fighting in Normandy et al is wrong?

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Dunkelgelb started in early 1943. For a tank to be gray in Normandy would require it to be a old-rear end tank (unlikely) that got passed around for a year and a half with noone bothering to repaint it (unlikely).

Impossible? No. Unlikely? Yes. Want to paint your Normandy tanks gray because panzergrau looks dope? Go for it, who cares.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Geisladisk posted:

Dunkelgelb started in early 1943. For a tank to be gray in Normandy would require it to be a old-rear end tank (unlikely) that got passed around for a year and a half with noone bothering to repaint it (unlikely).

Impossible? No. Unlikely? Yes. Want to paint your Normandy tanks gray because panzergrau looks dope? Go for it, who cares.

AFAIK there were also a few tanks later on in the war that were painted with left-over grey paint. But yeah, that'd be an exception, and once the wheels really started to come off the German war machine.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A lot of those started turning up later though, when the tank school units got thrown into combat with StuGs and Panzer IVs that invaded France due to poo poo like Market Garden.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
A universal human truth is that we're all lazy incompetents and would rather distill airplane fuel into vodka than contribute to actually fighting each other for god and nation, even via basic poo poo like "paint tank."

Which is great for historicals because whatever colour you want to paint your mans there's probably someone, somewhere, that ended up looking like that, so you can go "no, ACTUALLY, this is the correct shade"

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

GotLag posted:

It isn't auto body work where you're getting paid to do a neat, smooth paint job.

In Gulf War (I) we were told that our tanks were going to be repainted. We were given a couple of rolls of masking tape and we masked off vision blocks (windows), sights, and areas that had to stay bare like grease fittings. A truck with an air sprayer pulled up and, woosh, we sprayed the tank with paint. The whole process took maybe an hour, tops.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Endman posted:

Great battle report!

I've always liked soviet green LL stuff on a purely stylistic front, so strong approve!

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Finished a Panzer IVH bar pigments, with another comparison between the new model and the one I painted 10 years ago.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Beautiful wear on that new one.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

That's a big improvement, good job on that panzer :)

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
I see you're going for the "Tremendous Bush" option for What a Tanker. :)

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Cessna posted:

It isn't auto body work where you're getting paid to do a neat, smooth paint job.

In Gulf War (I) we were told that our tanks were going to be repainted. We were given a couple of rolls of masking tape and we masked off vision blocks (windows), sights, and areas that had to stay bare like grease fittings. A truck with an air sprayer pulled up and, woosh, we sprayed the tank with paint. The whole process took maybe an hour, tops.

I remember reading that in WW2, when the German army adopted some camouflage standards for their tanks, how it was applied often boiled down to "give Private Fritz a bucket of green paint, a bucket of reddish-brown paint, a mop, and tell him to hop to it". :v:

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I remember reading that in WW2, when the German army adopted some camouflage standards for their tanks, how it was applied often boiled down to "give Private Fritz a bucket of green paint, a bucket of reddish-brown paint, a mop, and tell him to hop to it". :v:

This is a good system, as Fritz is more likely to know what the local conditions look like and be able to mimic them than someone in a distant headquarters.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Fish and Chimps posted:

Finished a Panzer IVH bar pigments, with another comparison between the new model and the one I painted 10 years ago.

Nice! I love the weathering.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe
Thanks! I needed to take a break from Nazi tanks so painted up 4 US infantry.

Endman
May 18, 2010

The BAR is such a cool looking gun, I love that thing.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Endman posted:

The BAR is such a cool looking gun, I love that thing.

Yes, I really enjoyed painting it. I generally like US ww2 equipment, so I'm really excited about painting it.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey, just curious, but are there any good resources on the different Italian and Russian uniforms, during WW2? Since as I've been playing Blood Red Skies and have always considered getting either Bolt Action or potentially Cruel Seas too (partly due to the potential future 'combined arms' crossover they mentioned at some point), and now a couple of friends have gotten into BA, which is an incentive for me to join in, too.

So, I've chosen Russian as a candidate because my BRS air forces are Germany and Russia, so potentially being able to use my yaks etc. too would be an incentive. But I'm also very tempted to use the Italians too, since my friends are using the British and Romanians - so I could potentially just use Italians to go against whoever, seeing as they of course turned against the axis later on in the war.

As a side-note though, I'm definitely going to be lazy and contrast paint the uniforms, so like, plain brown, etc. is very much a bonus, haha :v:

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

If you have a scribd.com account they have a billion Osprey book out there which gives useful color drawings of every conceivable uniform worn by fightin' men. You can also just google "Soviet uniform painting guide" or people here will probably gladly share theirs.

Soviets are a super easy army to paint, especially if you get the Winter versions since they're all in greatcoats.

edit: also the Stalingrad supplement is dropping next month so there will probably be a lot of interest in Soviet v. German matchups for a while until the next shiny thing distracts everyone.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Pinterest is a surprisingly good source when painting historical minis. You can find tons and tons of good historical pinterest boards with uniforms for free.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Just uh, don’t be shocked when Pinterest suggests some real weird poo poo after searching for anything WW2 related on there.

“You searched for ‘ww2 tank turret markings’, we think you might also like this picture of SS dumping bodies into a mass grave!”

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey, just curious, but are there any good resources on the different Italian and Russian uniforms, during WW2? Since as I've been playing Blood Red Skies and have always considered getting either Bolt Action or potentially Cruel Seas too (partly due to the potential future 'combined arms' crossover they mentioned at some point), and now a couple of friends have gotten into BA, which is an incentive for me to join in, too.

So, I've chosen Russian as a candidate because my BRS air forces are Germany and Russia, so potentially being able to use my yaks etc. too would be an incentive. But I'm also very tempted to use the Italians too, since my friends are using the British and Romanians - so I could potentially just use Italians to go against whoever, seeing as they of course turned against the axis later on in the war.

As a side-note though, I'm definitely going to be lazy and contrast paint the uniforms, so like, plain brown, etc. is very much a bonus, haha :v:

Here's a guide to painting Soviets and numerous other WW2 nations with Contrast paints.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Thanks, all! So at this stage, after discussing it with my BA-playing friends, I'm pretty sure I'll use the Italians at this stage, to make things easier for everyone. However, I'm not sure about what's generally a good unit composition for Bolt Action. Like, would it be good for me to have a bunch of infantry and sink some points into bringing in a medium tank (like the M14/40 or whatever it is, if that's an option) or perhaps a couple of tankettes?

Since yeah, I'm not sure if there are any real 'dud picks' for Italy, so I'm worried that merely dabbling in armour will mean that I've wasted points - since they won't have the firepower to take out a tank-heavy opponent, and I would instead be better served by getting transports and/or field guns. (Since if so, I think I'll theme my force after the Alpini, seeing as from memory they primarily stuck with regular infantry and field guns)

EDIT: The infantry I'm thinking of using are these and [url=https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_74_76&products_id=2846&osCsid=35s6klti5ivs2sv7bdkficf4t3]these[url]. Probably a couple of each, so that I have two full platoons I can draw men from. (Also, it doesn't say, but I ASSUME they're plastic...since a tank they have specifies it's metal while these guys don't)

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Mar 10, 2020

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Major Isoor posted:

...I ASSUME they're plastic...
Dont! Those are metal. You can tell on the side navigation bar, because they're under the "metal ranges" heading.
EDIT: But don't be afraid of metal minis. Perry are very good sculpts.

Ilor fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 10, 2020

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

One thing to keep in mind before you pull the trigger is that Italians are considered the hardest nation to play as in Bolt Action because of their national rules. Because your morale goes up or down depending on if you’re winning it can be easy to get in a death spiral where you lose a unit, so your morale goes down, so you have trouble commanding your force, so you lose more units, your morale goes down, etc.

They tried to fix this by giving alternate national rules in the Western Desert supplement but I think they only apply when using a NA Italian force

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Do it, get a stupid Italian tonk.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Italian tankettes are tiny and cute.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

"There's always a bigger fish" as the old proverb goes, but the inverse is true for Italian tankettes. There's always a smaller fish.

God I love their dumb little up-aromored go-karts

zokie
Feb 13, 2006

Out of many, Sweden

lilljonas posted:

Italian tankettes are tiny and cute.

1/56th scale italian tankettes/SPGs look line 15mm models

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer

PinheadSlim posted:

"There's always a bigger fish" as the old proverb goes, but the inverse is true for Italian tankettes. There's always a smaller fish.

God I love their dumb little up-aromored go-karts

How does that even work? Do you stop after driving half a mile to top op the gas tank? Is it an uparmoured vespa??

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

Wowshawk posted:

How does that even work? Do you stop after driving half a mile to top op the gas tank? Is it an uparmoured vespa??

In my heart of hearts I hope it's powered by two little bicycle pedals on the inside

https://i.imgur.com/IUesnD5.mp4

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

Wowshawk posted:

It's one of those post-WW1 ideas that didn't catch on. Basically "solving" the problem of machine guns and dead man's land by making moving shields with a heavy weapon attached.

The idea was that you'd hunker behind the shield, safe from small arms fire, and then attack by crawling behind the slowly advancing protection, firing with a machinegun, sniper rifle, mortar or whatever the inventor decided to strap to it.

https://peashooter85.tumblr.com/post/169941824212/the-ansaldo-miasmoras-35-an-italian-creation-by

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Mar 10, 2020

Wowshawk
Dec 22, 2007
bought with beer
Grimey Drawer
So like most interwar designs, a rube goldberg solution to a concrete problem I guess.

Shame it didn't make it past the prototype phase. Imagine a field with a hundred of those little guys ambling along, bullets plinking off :3:

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

Class Warcraft posted:

One thing to keep in mind before you pull the trigger is that Italians are considered the hardest nation to play as in Bolt Action...

Seems historically legit.

Tankettes are rad and Autocannons are good. I dont know what Italy has but an autocannon shoots twice and is +1 penetration. This will allow you to put pin markers of any non-veteran tank.

OTOH that's just my theory, I'm still a bit green at Bolt Action.

Endman
May 18, 2010

lilljonas posted:

It's one of those post-WW1 ideas that didn't catch on. Basically "solving" the problem of machine guns and dead man's land by making moving shields with a heavy weapon attached.

Didn’t catch on outside of British tank design, you mean :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

DiHK posted:

Seems historically legit.

Tankettes are rad and Autocannons are good. I dont know what Italy has but an autocannon shoots twice and is +1 penetration. This will allow you to put pin markers of any non-veteran tank.

OTOH that's just my theory, I'm still a bit green at Bolt Action.

Super unfun though, especially if you lose a unit right away and are basically crippled from turn 1. The national rules for the majors are all bonuses/things that your nation was good at. The minor nations, meanwhile, have a mix of positives and negatives that leave them less competitive (except Finland, whose national rules are pretty good)

Armored cars and Light tanks are usually better for the cost in bolt action because of the way heavy armor is calculated. A lot of tankettes and interwar tanks suffer from negative special rules that make them unreliable however.

I saw a guy obliterate his opponents at a tournament once using a swarm of Panzer I’s because they just couldn’t kill them fast enough.