Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
I really enjoyed the first Amnesia and Soma, but Machine For Pigs fell really flat for me. Then I found out that it wasn't even made by Frictional and it explained a tonne. It was made by The Chinese Room, a company which has never made a single game I enjoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Cardiovorax posted:

Some artsy person please 'shop an Amnesia monster face on a pug, because that sounds amazing and I want to play it.

They're already chubby little mummies with scrunched faces

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The new Amnesia game is giving me a lot of Penumbra vibes, makes me wonder if they're gonna try to sorta revisit some of the Penumbra style things.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I would love a machine for pugs instead of what that game became

Best I can offer is An Airport for Aliens Currently Run by Dogs.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Frictional aren't going to retread the exact same mechanical ground as the original Amnesia. I find it very unlikely they won't build on what they've done before, as with all of their titles.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Well, when you get right down to it, there wasn't really any substantial mechanical difference between Penumbra and Amnesia. It'll certainly be a new and interesting setting with many fun little water-demon shaped surprises waiting, though.

Dreadwroth2
Feb 28, 2019

by Cyrano4747
I think it will probably be somrwhat similar in that the darkness monster will be chasing you and there will be wandering monsters, it will be at least hopefully an interesting story.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I am only just now getting around to playing SOMA, but I'm enjoying the atmosphere so far. I am a big giant baby, though, and can only play it in bursts.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
It had excellent atmosphere I thought, practically custom made for Goons and their stereotypical fear of the ocean. I always have a bunch of :downswords: about the game and it's narrative, so looking forward to hearing what you think at the end. Frictional has already got me on the hook for Amnesia 3 based on Soma.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Started a replay of Soma yesterday in anticipation of Frictional's new game, and I'm noticing my emotional reaction to the story and themes very different this time round. When you know what's going on it's ... well, I should finish it up again first before I commit to anything.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Poked a robot in SOMA, got some lady being kinda mean, and then the music flipped out with a heart beat sound. I promptly shat a brick, sprinted to and shut the door, and then sat in the corner like a wimp for a bit.

I am seriously the biggest baby, but I love when games do that to me.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Jesus loving skin-crawling christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69bNslA-II

:siren:Hardcore Body Horror:siren:
and some light jumpscares

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Alpha Beta Gamer is a great account in general. Tons of stuff I’ve never heard of (generally but not always horror focused), no commentary, and I’m pretty sure the person behind it plays through once before recording so it’s not just aimless wandering around.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

He’s my ideal for a gaming channel
Just didn’t expect something so intense after so many ‘cute pixel horror’ showcases

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Bogart posted:

Alpha Beta Gamer is a great account in general. Tons of stuff I’ve never heard of (generally but not always horror focused), no commentary, and I’m pretty sure the person behind it plays through once before recording so it’s not just aimless wandering around.

I like John Wolfe more but ABG gets on the games before he does, so sometimes I'm left kinda wondering if I should wait for John or see the ABG version.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

John is good but I’m always going to prefer No Commentary plays, especially for horror

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've grown to like Wolfe. When he actually reacts loudly to being scared, it's legitimate. A lot of the time he ends up bursting out laughing at the game trying to scare him instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oju4okfAIhI

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMJeXvDnxbA

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Black August posted:

John is good but I’m always going to prefer No Commentary plays, especially for horror

I do too, but only for good horror, which I want to play myself before I see anyone LP it

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I like them as self contained mini horror movies, played silent and with attention to competence and atmosphere

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

The faces in this one are so good.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

it's some great surrealist-uncomfortable stuff, I want to see more

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Jesus that's a stress nightmare simulator.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

EXCUSE ME.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

I play games to escape this kind of thing

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Very disappointed it didn't end with the BFG 9000 being found and used with great aplomb

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
There's also the Survival Horror Network for playthroughs with no commentary.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4jOVIDDfiSo_8Ywrdqb95w/videos

Black August posted:

Jesus loving skin-crawling christ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b69bNslA-II

:siren:Hardcore Body Horror:siren:
and some light jumpscares

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

That Discover My Body game is a trip. Really well done.

szary
Mar 12, 2014
The Dusk dev is making a horror game. It's going to be hella stylish, if nothing else.

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1238853079044362241

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
World of Horror needs a Covid old god. Maybe doom tracker increase for visiting stores, having companions?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
The hospital would need to be unusable to due overfilling.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Discendo Vox posted:

World of Horror needs a Covid old god. Maybe doom tracker increase for visiting stores, having companions?

Epic... ftw dude...

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Dave Szymanski actually made a bunch of horror games before DUSK, including The Moon Sliver, The Music Machine, and A Wolf in Autumn. This new one in particular looks a lot like The Music Machine, which I thought was his best.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fingerbones is free on Steam, his first game or at least one of his first released. It's a pretty straightforward psych horror narrative game about a "bad dad" but unlike 99% of bad dad games it A) isn't a ripoff of Silent Hill 2 and B) knows its premise is good for at most 20 minutes.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Dreadout 2 is weirdly bad. The original is already a C game that rips off Fatal Frame but it has some good scares and creepy monsters. The sequel mixes the camera stuff with terrible melee combat, the monsters are goofier, and it’s built around these pacing killing Life is Strange city navigation moments.

It feels like they wanted to make something new but hey people kind of remember the original Dreadout, right?

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

al-azad posted:

Dreadout 2 is weirdly bad. The original is already a C game that rips off Fatal Frame but it has some good scares and creepy monsters. The sequel mixes the camera stuff with terrible melee combat, the monsters are goofier, and it’s built around these pacing killing Life is Strange city navigation moments.

It feels like they wanted to make something new but hey people kind of remember the original Dreadout, right?

The first one also has one of the best conversation sequences I've seen in a horror game, when you're talking to one of your classmates who's been possessed. Dreadout 1 had some genuinely quality moments.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDXwlc9JkU

Love the movement/feel of this but wish it was in a "proper" game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Very Lost in Vivo inspired right down to melee weapons being better than guns!

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

Groovelord Neato posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMDXwlc9JkU

Love the movement/feel of this but wish it was in a "proper" game.

I dled this from itch yesterday and will definitely check it out today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Oh drat, Steam's doing a GDC-style demo day https://store.steampowered.com/sale/SteamGameFestival-Spring
and Carrion, the game where you play as a Thing-type monster taking over a base has an alpha demo up. Really fun, they have some great physics and lighting effects.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/953490/CARRION/