Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm booking a Tokyo trip for May with the full knowledge that I'm gonna be pissed when our dumbass politicians get it cancelled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

mikeycp posted:

I'm booking a Tokyo trip for May with the full knowledge that I'm gonna be pissed when our dumbass politicians get it cancelled

It’s going to be awesome when other country’s don’t allow people coming from the US in.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
I know the US is running a huge trade deficit, but exporting corona virus patients is probably not the way to solve that.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

KidDynamite posted:

It’s going to be awesome when other country’s don’t allow people coming from the US in.

thats why i got out last week. :coal:

Flat Daddy
Dec 3, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
realtalk should I cancel my trip later this month? United would allow us to reschedule the plane ticket but I bet I’d be in the hole for jrpass and any stuff where I initiate the cancellation. also my wife isn’t panicked about it yet so I’d be ruining this for her if I was overly cautious for no reason

if I follow advice on hand washing and being careful to avoid yaoi style situations on the train are we good?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

Flat Daddy posted:

realtalk should I cancel my trip later this month? United would allow us to reschedule the plane ticket but I bet I’d be in the hole for jrpass and any stuff where I initiate the cancellation. also my wife isn’t panicked about it yet so I’d be ruining this for her if I was overly cautious for no reason

if I follow advice on hand washing and being careful to avoid yaoi style situations on the train are we good?

If you're young and take basic precautions you're probably fine. Don't meet old family members for two weeks after you get back and all. I'd say go for it but caveat infector.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Flat Daddy posted:

Re: JR Pass - you can exchange up to 90 days after you ordered and set the activation days within 30 days of that. So you could potentially delay your trip a couple/few months but you'd be running into rainy season and pre-Olympics.

You might consider delaying slightly due to closures of some popular attractions but no guarantees they don't extend their closures (but they might find it too painful to do that).

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
I wish airplane tickets actually did get as absurdly low as people pretend they're getting I would brave three plauges for an impromptu Japan vacation

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Yawgmoft posted:

I wish airplane tickets actually did get as absurdly low as people pretend they're getting I would brave three plauges for an impromptu Japan vacation

Very much same.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

How low are people pretending they're getting? I've seen $300 ones from the US and one of my friends in Korea snagged a $6 round trip to Tokyo.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Grand Fromage posted:

How low are people pretending they're getting? I've seen $300 ones from the US and one of my friends in Korea snagged a $6 round trip to Tokyo.

Jokes are $200. My flight is still way cheaper than current prices as I found it during a flash sale.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Yawgmoft posted:

I got a round trip from Detroit for 351 (August) and then round trip to Takamatsu from Haneda for free thanks to JAL. They are absurdly low.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
hmmm https://news.delta.com/delta-reduces-japan-flight-schedule-due-covid-19

quote:

Delta will reduce its weekly flying schedule to Japan through April 30 and suspend summer seasonal service between Seattle and Osaka for 2020 in response to reduced demand due to COVID-19 (coronavirus).

The health and safety of customers and employees is Delta's top priority. The airline maintains an ongoing relationship with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization, the world's foremost experts on communicable diseases, to ensure training, policies, procedures, and cabin cleaning and disinfection measures meet and exceed guidelines. The latest information about Delta’s response to COVID-19 is here: news.delta.com/coronavirus

Flight schedule changes

Beginning March 7 for U.S. departures to Japan and March 8 for Japan departures to the U.S., the airline will operate the following schedule:

i still haven't received a cancellation or any notice for my first week of may trip taking the seattle to osaka route..

e: finally logged in and they canceled it lmao

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 10, 2020

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Air Canada still being cool about letting me fly to the forbidden zone early May :ohdear:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
No email, nothing lol

Their login page is also making GBS threads the bed, but I found alternative routes that winds up being -6 hours in country and then changing my 1 layover to 2 layovers each way. Not the end of the world but annoying as hell.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Yawgmoft posted:

500 round trip from lax is absurdly cheap, my guy

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

How easy is it to find computer touching jobs as a non-Japanese and non-speaker (at the moment) in Tokyo or Kyoto? Asking for a friend.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Well that explains why my Delta flight home on March 8, they probably loaded a bunch of Portland people on it. I was hoping it would be as empty as on the way over so I could lay down across the bench again.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

KidDynamite posted:

How easy is it to find computer touching jobs as a non-Japanese and non-speaker (at the moment) in Tokyo or Kyoto? Asking for a friend.

If it's for software development engineer position, not terrible (assuming you have the skills for the position). Most of the international companies do not have language req for the dev roles. I know Microsoft, Google, Amazon, Indeed, Mercari, and Rakuten almost always have Japan positions they are hiring for.

Otherwise, not that easy.

Only other thing to keep in mind is, to try and join a Western company with a Japanese branch vs a Japanese company that has expanded internationally. Much less risk of dealing with a traditional Japanese work culture.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

The other thing I’ve heard is that pay is more in line with normal non-management jobs, but at the same time Tokyo isn’t exactly the Bay Area when it comes to housing costs.

Business of Ferrets
Mar 2, 2008

Good to see that everything is back to normal.

Flat Daddy posted:

I bet I’d be in the hole for jrpass

Contact JR and see if they will cancel it. Lots of travel companies making exceptions due to the virus. This is if you plan to not come, obviously. Also, make sure you have excellent health insurance.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Yeah Japanese companies have been super accomodating.

JAL refunded my full itinerary even though I fell outside their guidelines, the only hard part was getting them on the phone.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Business of Ferrets posted:

Contact JR and see if they will cancel it. Lots of travel companies making exceptions due to the virus. This is if you plan to not come, obviously. Also, make sure you have excellent health insurance.

They charged me a 10% refund fee for mine, but yeah. They were accommodating.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

harperdc posted:

The other thing I’ve heard is that pay is more in line with normal non-management jobs, but at the same time Tokyo isn’t exactly the Bay Area when it comes to housing costs.

Yeah, US dev positions pay significantly more than the rest of the world. Last time I looked into it, non-US dev salaries capped out right around where US dev salaries started. Cheaper rent, universal healthcare, not paying for a car (better mass transit), etc. does help even the playing field a bit. But the US positions pay so much, that they still end up coming out on top if money is the primary concern.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

The stupid cheap flights are on EVA Air through Taiwan. drat these prices are good.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

.Z. posted:

Yeah, US dev positions pay significantly more than the rest of the world. Last time I looked into it, non-US dev salaries capped out right around where US dev salaries started. Cheaper rent, universal healthcare, not paying for a car (better mass transit), etc. does help even the playing field a bit. But the US positions pay so much, that they still end up coming out on top if money is the primary concern.

Yeah I was mostly joking after waking up to the terrible primary results(IMO.) I looked for like 30 minutes and salaries seem to be like half of what I currently make in NYC.

Head to Dotonbori for the night. Bummed because Disney is extending their closure so that probably means Ghibli will extend theirs as well. Two new free days in Tokyo. Will probably spend at least one of them at the arcade. BYW where are the good arcades in Tokyo?

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Like anywhere

netcat
Apr 29, 2008
I remember one great arcade for older fighting games in akiba when I was there a few years ago but I couldn't find it this time (but I didn't look that hard either). I don't think it was a Sega or Namco arcade but I'm probably just misremembering.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
There's this one in baba:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attract...fecture_Ka.html

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Will probably spend at least one of them at the arcade. BYW where are the good arcades in Tokyo?

Game Center Mikado in Takadanobaba

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

Taito hey in Akihabara has a whole floor of old rear end shmups if that's your thing

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

netcat posted:

I remember one great arcade for older fighting games in akiba when I was there a few years ago but I couldn't find it this time (but I didn't look that hard either). I don't think it was a Sega or Namco arcade but I'm probably just misremembering.

One of the main Sega (i think) arcades at the main akiba street has a floor dedicated to VF5 along with some Tekken and Fate Unlimited Codes. Maybe you're thinking of that?

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Archer666 posted:

One of the main Sega (i think) arcades at the main akiba street has a floor dedicated to VF5 along with some Tekken and Fate Unlimited Codes. Maybe you're thinking of that?

Maybe. It had a bunch of SF2/SF3 cabs and other older fighting games but I remember losing a lot at those two. There's probably a few arcades like that in akiba though.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Alright wife wants to go in October, whats the best goon poo poo to do around Tokyo? Are there any good festivals around that time? Also I am hearing I cannot go to a hotspring because I have a tattoo, is that true?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

You can't go to some hot springs because you have a tattoo.

https://tattoo-friendly.jp

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks for the arcade suggestions y’all! Wife wants some beef in Osaka we have a good size budget but it doesn’t have to break the bank ya know. Also I want to eat at least 8oz of beef I’m over having amazing taste and the it being gone so quickly. Can anyone come through with an awesome recommendation?

Edit: After spending the night in Dotonbori Osaka seems like it’s a lil shady lol. I also think if I was a younger man and single this city would get me in trouble.

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Alright wife wants to go in October, whats the best goon poo poo to do around Tokyo? Are there any good festivals around that time? Also I am hearing I cannot go to a hotspring because I have a tattoo, is that true?

I went in October last year and mostly had a great time going around eating, visiting shrines and temples, parks, shopping, and museums. Honestly, it's best to do plenty of planning but still be realistic that you may not see/do everything you want. Also plan to have plenty of time between your main destinations for diversions and other stuff that piques your interest along the way.

Lastly, October is mostly fine for weather, but we did almost get stranded there when Typhoon Hagibis (aka the biggest typhoon since the 1950s) hit Japan. So if possible, plan for late October.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Alright wife wants to go in October, whats the best goon poo poo to do around Tokyo?

I mean that's like asking "yo what's good in New York City," Tokyo has at least two of everything and tons of touristy poo poo. I mean we just gave out some arcade locations and mentioned Akihabara multiple times on this page, otherwise the ultimate fallback plan is getting beers/chuhai at a convenience store and chilling in a public park. go browse a bit and see if anything strikes your fancy.

October is good, the weather is nice (except when typhoons come through).

quote:

Are there any good festivals around that time? Also I am hearing I cannot go to a hotspring because I have a tattoo, is that true?

not many good festival-rear end festivals, but there might still be some tsukimi (moon watching, though more of a September thing). also yeah check the hot spring list because more and more are realizing 1. foreigners have money 2. some of them might have ink but they're still alright people.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

KidDynamite posted:

Edit: After spending the night in Dotonbori Osaka seems like it’s a lil shady lol. I also think if I was a younger man and single this city would get me in trouble.

yes to both. osaka owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ugh, I’m slowly coming to grips with the fact that I will likely postpone my May trip. Stinks, since it was the only thing keeping me sane with crazy work stuff going on.

Tentatively looking early to mid October now, but my AirBnB selection sucks again :sigh:

I have about a month until I have to make a decision on existing travel before I incur any non-trivial cancellation expenses, but my crystal ball seems to be malfunctioning :|