Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Schnorkles posted:

I work with biotech every day. I spend two mornings of every week working with world class Virologists.

COVID-19 is not overblown. It is real, it is scary, and it is going to do real damage.

yeah, my gf has her phd in virology researching how to genetically engineer viruses to rewrite dna to cure things like cancer aids and sickle cell at arguable the leading research lab in the nation

from conversations with her COVID-19 is real, strong, and (once it really starts taking out boomers) my friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

80% of americans wash their hands after the toilet, italians like the dutch do it about 50%

american boomers have survived bust after pandemic one right after the other and they will survive to pull that lever for donny just one last time

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.

Homeless Friend posted:

Trust me man, i am not some prester jane type who loves to freak out but this virus poo poo is serious. It is going to overload healthcare capabilities and there will be a lot of dead people. It feeds off of all of trumps reflexive behavior. It is completely uncontained and there are likely 10K+ carriers minimum out there right now in the US.

the guidance from the AHA last ~48 hours which is 100% as optimistic as they can make it is 2 million hospitalizations and 500,000 deaths in the next 3-7 months.

Bearjew
Apr 18, 2017

Schnorkles posted:

I work with biotech every day. I spend two mornings of every week working with world class Virologists.

COVID-19 is not overblown. It is real, it is scary, and it is going to do real damage.

inshallah

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Minrad posted:

i need a sanity check

trump is bad but only insofar as a republican president is bad, yes? my perception of trump is that he's no worse than other rich rear end in a top hat conservatives and liberals, except trump is too incompetent to actually disguise his grift, so people get a lot more outraged at his existence.

or have I stared at succ for so long that i'm underplaying how bad a populist racist president is?

i'm trying to rationalize people supporting biden to beat trump and i'm crack pinging over here
the environment

EDIT: oh sorry i thought you meant you were trying to convince yourself not to vote trump

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
https://twitter.com/andersleehere/status/1237581876103008256?s=19

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Nonsense posted:

80% of americans wash their hands after the toilet, italians like the dutch do it about 50%

the coronavirus spreads mostly through breathing, washing your hands and good hygene helps a bit but social distancing is about the only real thing you can do

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Multiple cases in other countries are being traced back to the US. There are parts of Italy where they're so overwhelmed the number of ventilators that elderly patients are basically just being told "good luck" because they need to save them for people who have a decent chance of recovery. . Even if young people aren't dying they can still get sick enough to need ICU and intubation and it spreads very easily. poo poo could get real bad in the states real quickly.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

500,000 biden voters

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Minrad posted:

i need a sanity check

trump is bad but only insofar as a republican president is bad, yes? my perception of trump is that he's no worse than other rich rear end in a top hat conservatives and liberals, except trump is too incompetent to actually disguise his grift, so people get a lot more outraged at his existence.

or have I stared at succ for so long that i'm underplaying how bad a populist racist president is?

i'm trying to rationalize people supporting biden to beat trump and i'm crack pinging over here

trump is just any other ghoul republican except he says the quiet part loud, yes

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Homeless Friend posted:

sure but look at hillary she almost won lol, 4 years of trump. suburbs actually coming out. corona virus/economic chaos and we shall see. This coronavirus poo poo is going to be utterly wild, unless god blesses trump with it receding with spring/summer

the corona virus can stay alive on surfaces at 98 degrees for three days im not sure how summer is going to help with that

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

The Joe Man posted:

the environment

EDIT: oh sorry i thought you meant you were trying to convince yourself not to vote trump

I won't vote for trump but I won't vote for biden either

just trying to understand liberals after I saw someone say they wouldn't vote for biden or bernie

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

lmao

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Minrad posted:

i need a sanity check

biden is being buoyed by a massive media narrative around him as the most qualified candidate - something aided significantly by his super tuesday surge - and the fact that the majority of people 50+ remember him principally as obama's vice-president

like in many similar elections, his success has less to do with anything substantive about his policy or character - the man is clearly in mental decline, if not outright slipping into dementia - and more with how the public perceives him, something that's easy to mold when most people don't bother to do even a modicum of private research into a candidate before supporting them

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the corona virus can stay alive on surfaces at 98 degrees for three days im not sure how summer is going to help with that

:trumppop:

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

you bet your rear end they won't

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

good.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

The good news is that, once again, the youth vote can be safely ignored.

Bloombucks getting Blue Boomers to vote is worth so much more than trying to encourage new and/or young voters.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

:thunk:

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

also the chinese definitely developed and released it so hong kong would shut the gently caress up forever

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Minrad posted:

i need a sanity check

trump is probably not as bad as W., yet, but he's placing a lot more pressure on institutions than W did.

Give him another 4 years and I'm sure he will be.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Nonsense posted:

also the chinese definitely developed and released it so hong kong would shut the gently caress up forever

there's a corona thread, but prob yea.
still blows my mind that facebook was involved in election tampering last cycle.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Minrad posted:

I won't vote for trump but I won't vote for biden either

just trying to understand liberals after I saw someone say they wouldn't vote for biden or bernie

oh i misread you, please ignore me

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

the good news: sanders surrogates getting some airtime on msnbc

the bad news:

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

lmao

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Minrad posted:

i need a sanity check

He's actually been a little better. He's like one degree less neocon

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Schnorkles posted:

They just confirmed the first COVID-19 case in a town 30 miles from my house, and another 3 cases in a county not too far from me.

I hope my dad doesn’t die from it, at least. He voted for Bernie, and I’ll be dependent on him for financial support for the foreseeable future. :smith:

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Jewel Repetition posted:

He's actually been a little better. He's like one degree less neocon

yeah, I put Trump above the W line for right now.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

thats just dumb hope speaking, Maybe right? *broken smile towards the sky*

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

I. M. Gei posted:

They just confirmed the first COVID-19 case in a town 30 miles from my house, and another 3 cases in a county not too far from me.

I hope my dad doesn’t die from it, at least. He voted for Bernie, and I’ll be dependent on him for financial support for the foreseeable future. :smith:

social. distancing.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Homeless Friend posted:

Trust me man, i am not some prester jane type who loves to freak out but this virus poo poo is serious. It is going to overload healthcare capabilities and there will be a lot of dead people. It feeds off of all of trumps reflexive behavior. It is completely uncontained and there are likely 10K+ carriers minimum out there right now in the US.

Listen, no one knows, but my gut that is always right(see election night 2016 where I thought Hillary Clinton would win) is never wrong!

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Mayor Dave posted:

tbf steve kornacki might well have sexual attraction to numbers, he is horny for math

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Homeless Friend posted:

It would have been better if covid-19 was a bioweapon because they could not have created so uncontainable of a virus lol

fun fact about bioweapons, when russia was working on them right until the fall of the ussr the thing they kept running into was that making a pathogen easier to spread typically make it less lethal and vice versa

of course, that was using things like selective genetic techniques and the latest in 70's/early 80's genetic engineering (the russians were actually pretty far behind the west in that area)

compare that to now where there is legit an FDA approved genetic engineering treatment of a childhood illness (yes it cost $2m, but it's a full cure that works out to like $5 a day over the average lifespan and making each "dose" takes minimum 7 phd's a month to make)

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

black pill for people here but Biden is going to win this election and it's not even going to be close

-pretty much every poll has him beating Trump by some margin, and coronovirus + impending oil crisis + impending bear market recession pretty much negates a lot of the benefits of being an incumbent

-there is no visceral dislike of Biden that will compel people to vote for Trump (at least nowhere near the same galaxy that there was for the Clinton family). in addition Trump has managed to piss off people who were previously indifferent to politics

-Biden is destroying, absolutely destroying Bernie's margins in the last 10-15 states, and he clearly has massive appeal from Dems across the entire country

-Biden gaffes and talks funny, but so does Trump. in the end people who hate Trump will hate how he performs, and people who hate Biden will hate how he performs. Debates aren't really going to change much from here unless Biden really fucks up

-his dementia has been overplayed for the most part. the media likes to play soundclips over but the truth is that Biden is not that far gone- the debates are gonna probably be behind closed doors which will help him a lot. he wll probably will do better than Hillary in the debates too- he doesn't have as obnoxious of a vocal tone and he talks in a way avg americans can appeal to

-most of his supporters will vote for Biden if the alternative is Trump. the ones who dont are mostly trans cuties living in congested cities that already swing blue with decreased voting power, their votes mean squat

-pretty much everything i've just said is supported by the 2018 midterms, which indicate that dems like Biden running on a moderate platform has a good shot of unseating Trump and the republicans

another black pill, for progressives here your movement is pretty much dead. Bernie is not going to run again and will probably die before Joe's next term. there is nobody else in america who can lead a progressive movement in 2024 as well as he can. AOC will probably be getting primaried, and the rest of the justice dems are unlikable as gently caress. short of DeBlasio having a permanent flashback to the 80s and running in 2024, there is no way that the US will ever reach this peak level of leftism for a long time.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

I. M. Gei posted:

I live in a city with many confirmed cases of COVID-19 and really no one cares. We just continue on. So far no one has died here either, and we got it fairly early.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

good

GOOD

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Schnorkles posted:

I get what you're saying about him becoming more extreme in his second term, like most presidents do, but in Trump's case I think he's always just at that level of not giving a gently caress as a president in his 7th year anyway

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Montasque posted:

Listen, no one knows, but my gut that is always right(see election night 2016 where I thought Hillary Clinton would win) is never wrong!

trick question. the most trusted institution in america comes and saves us. THE US MILITARY. trump did it, he saved us all. the best president god ever created. millions are cheering. god bless trump *pulls lever*

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

Jewel Repetition posted:

I get what you're saying about him becoming more extreme in his second term, like most presidents do, but in Trump's case I think he's always just at that level of not giving a gently caress as a president in his 7th year anyway

I think for trump its more that the cumulative damage of him being there for 8 years probably puts him over the top, rather than him being worse 2nd term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Schnorkles posted:

He hasn't started a war. And as an Australian let me assure you that even if the US had voted in a centrist there'd be just as many brown people in cages right now.