Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Ginette Reno posted:

Paulie breaks both of these rules repeatedly but manages to make it to the end

Paulie exists outside of rules and arguably reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

When they came for Ralphie, I did not speak up, for I was not Ralphie.

When they came for Tony B, I did not speak up, for I was not Tony B.

When they came for Big Pussy, I did not speak up, for I was not Big Pussy.

When they came for me, i hit them with a chair and yelled FUCKIN QUEERS

Precambrian
Apr 30, 2008

"Make sure the Boss likes you [or, at least, the money you bring in]" is the key rule. Artie and Tony go way back, so he can get away with an incredible amount of poo poo for someone who's not a mobster, while Ralphie's a Made guy and serious earner, but he pisses off Tony on a personal level, so he's out. Paulie's fairly ridiculous and isn't a big earner, but Tony's close enough to him that he gets leeway. The best bet is to be at least a little likable and then not rock the boat, so the Boss never has to measure how much he likes you against how much money he stands to lose/who he'll piss off by protecting you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Something that also probably saved Paulie was that nobody except Paulie himself (and then only with the coaxing of Johnny Sack) thought of him as a possible future Boss, so there wasn't that feeling of being a threat to go along with anything else annoying he might do. Ralphie was a huge rear end in a top hat saved for a long time by the giant amount of money he brought in, but he also seemed to think he could run things plus (until Ginny) he was well-liked in New York. Richie straight up just thought he should be the Boss instead of Tony and made moves to become so. Vito wasn't quite so blatant but he thought he could place himself to take advantage in the event of a power-vacuum etc.

Silvio never wanted the top role for himself and crashed and burned when he had the role even temporarily, and that helped keep him in place for a long time and even actively go against Tony at times without ending up dismembered in Satriale's.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Precambrian posted:

The best bet is to be at least a little likable and then not rock the boat, so the Boss never has to measure how much he likes you against how much money he stands to lose/who he'll piss off by protecting you.

Ah, yes. The Compounded Hesh-Vig Equation. *blows bubbles out of pipe*

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Tony and Silvio also go way back, he’s basically the mob version of Artie to Tony, especially after Jackie Sr. dies. Their original gang as teens consisted of Tony, Jackie Jr., Silvio, Ralphie, and occasionally Tony B. before he went to another crew. That may also be why, besides the obvious money, that Tony tolerates Ralphie for a while.

EDIT: Also, it seems that after being made, Ralphie became too much to deal with between his bullshit and his coke addiction, so they sent him down to Florida to look after their interests and he ended up doing very well. He only comes back up to Jersey because he sees an opportunity in the Aprile family with both brothers dead, and there is dialogue that makes it seem as though Junior requested it. And his success in Florida and the ability to transfer that to the Aprile crew and go back into Jackie Sr.’s construction (after Richie wanted to go back to garbage) is reason why he felt he was owed the Capo position.

Pope Corky the IX fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 5, 2020

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I dont think Ralph started doing coke until he got to Florida. I doubt theyd send him to the coke capital if he was already on it

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Jerusalem posted:

Ralphie was a huge rear end in a top hat saved for a long time by the giant amount of money he brought in, but he also seemed to think he could run things plus (until Ginny) he was well-liked in New York. Richie straight up just thought he should be the Boss instead of Tony and made moves to become so.

Ralph was never a threat to Tony's power the way Richie was. He just managed to piss Tony off more over time which led to Tony killing him himself rather than even waiting to give the order to Sil as he did for Richie (but obviously Janice removed the need for that).

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The main takeaway is that a lot of the mob guys in the show don't seem to realize that the "rules" really don't exist in any meaningful sense. So any time you make a problem for the Boss, for any reason, regardless of how much you feel like you're in the right and followed the "rules", you're rolling the dice and putting your life at risk. Because it's completely random. If the Boss is pissed off enough by whatever problem you created, you're dead, even if the "rules" say otherwise.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I'm at a restaurant now, mind you it's only Swiss chalet, but the amount of people wearing hats... Fuckin camo hats. Some people need to be taught some respect

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Don't stop (believing) :shobon:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Phil Leotardo mash up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTyDgj6Mxo0

Whatever happened there.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

I'm at a restaurant now, mind you it's only Swiss chalet, but the amount of people wearing hats... Fuckin camo hats. Some people need to be taught some respect

Go and loom. Loom hard as you can!

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

One of the highlights of the show for me was Tony disdainfully watching Paulie sitting perfectly upright, alone, making rhythmic annoying laughs at a television.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
p. cool essay here on horror imagery in the show:

https://theoutline.com/post/8782/the-sopranos-as-horror?zd=2&zi=o64efzr3

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I thought you all overstated Gandolfini's weight increase throughout the series but seeing the image at the head of that article, like the cover of that trivia game I bought. Wow. What a difference.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

Grammarchist posted:

One of the highlights of the show for me was Tony disdainfully watching Paulie sitting perfectly upright, alone, making rhythmic annoying laughs at a television.

I always thought that was a callback to him seeing AJ laughing like an idiot at the computer, with the same 'smdh' reaction. Maybe it wasn't intentional though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

codo27 posted:

I thought you all overstated Gandolfini's weight increase throughout the series but seeing the image at the head of that article, like the cover of that trivia game I bought. Wow. What a difference.

There's a reason Edie Falco chewed gum when she had to do an eating scene.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
His weight gain was part of the character, wasn't it? As in, David Chase wrote that in. Or did I make that up?

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
He stayed that big after the show, so I'd assume it was just Gandolfini enjoying success and the writers writing that in.

please don't enjoy success so much your heart explodes in your early fifties

lurker2006
Jul 30, 2019

escape artist posted:

His weight gain was part of the character, wasn't it? As in, David Chase wrote that in. Or did I make that up?
"You're already pudgy but we're gonna need you to become morbidly obese for the better part of 5 years". I hope Chase and company weren't this ghoulish.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

lurker2006 posted:

"You're already pudgy but we're gonna need you to become morbidly obese for the better part of 5 years". I hope Chase and company weren't this ghoulish.

Hahahahaha. I thought it was supposed to be a representation of how Tony's appetite just grew larger and he remained insatiable. He got everything he wanted in life, food, sex, money, and just kept wanting more and more.
I also hope that I'm wrong, but I swear I heard something to that effect. Maybe they just "incorporated his weight gain into the character arc" - that sounds more reasonable.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

Wasn't he watching Three's Company or something equally stupid?

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

Wasn't he watching Three's Company or something equally stupid?

You're exactly right, good memory.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Well, we've reached one of the all-time great "Tony is complete rear end in a top hat" episodes.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

lurker2006 posted:

I doubt they were.

I also wonder if Vito losing weight was a storyline they came up with because the actor decided to lose weight or if they wanted to run that plot point and asked him to do so.

Pissed Ape Sexist
Apr 19, 2008

IIRC he had degenerative hip bones that were exacerbated by his weight (hence his waddling gait). His doctors pushed him to lose a bunch of weight before doing a replacement surgery on both hips, so he got a lap band and dieted pretty hard.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
He was still really fat though. Before and way before indeed :laugh:

goodog
Nov 3, 2007

From what I recall, Tony's weight gain was a combination of method acting and Gandolfini simply being unable to lose the weight. The crew were constantly concerned about the effect that it might have on his health, but there wasn't much they could do.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I have to confess I would also have probably method acted around delicious looking egg noodles and gravy.

Grammarchist
Jan 28, 2013

I am irrationally excited to see Daniel Baldwin in "CLEAVER" again.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Grammarchist posted:

"gently caress Ben Kingsley, Danny Baldwin took him to fuckin' acting school!"

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Grammarchist posted:

"Oh, you gonna argue with me now?"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"What's mine is mine! What's yours is mine!"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
My body is so ready for season 6-2

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Season 6, Episode 13 - Soprano Home Movies

Tony Soprano posted:

You beat me fair and square.

10 months after the last episode, the "second part" of season six of Sopranos began. David Chase's intention was supposedly for this to be season 7, and for all intents and purposes that is absolutely what it is. For whatever reason, HBO decided to classify season 6 and 7 as just one extremely long season, despite both seasons clearly have their own specific arcs that make them stand apart from each other.

Maybe it was for accounting reasons, maybe they thought people would feel shortchanged by a final season with "only" nine episodes? Regardless, this begins the home stretch for one of the great television shows of the modern (or any other) era.... but could it live up to it? Arguably The Sopranos peaked at Whitecaps at the end of season 4, one of the greatest episodes of television ever made. Could this 7th and final season maintain the quality? Well it certainly opened like it intended to, because Soprano Home Movies is ALSO one of the greatest episodes of television ever made.

In 2004, Tony Soprano finally made peace with longtime friend/recent rival Johnny Sacrimoni, only to see Johnny Sack arrested by the FBI in an early morning raid. Tony himself, while not a target, hoofed it through the snow to getaway, tossing a gun as he went, rushing through the treelines and across a creek to the street before staggering the long way back to a home and a wife who had only recently taken him back. Now we learn that Tony was observed doing this, not by an FBI Agent but a teenager who later that night feels a rush of exhilaration as he examines the snowbank where Tony tossed his gun and finds it. Testing the trigger, he's shocked when the gun goes off, and takes it home with him.

In 2007, Tony Soprano wakes to the sound of hammering at the door. Carmela is also woken and asks the pertinent question, has the time they've always dreaded finally come? Tony staggers out of bed and looks out the window, spotting police officers milling around his backyard. He leaves the bedroom, a concerned Meadow - back from California - leaving her own and asking what is going on as Carmela laughably insists she go back to sleep. Downstairs, Tony opens the door and gets a variation of his nightmare he never expected: yes they've come to arrest him, but "they" aren't the FBI, it's the Essex County police. He's even more bewildered to hear that he's being arrested over an illegal firearm with hollow point ammunition.

As he's cuffed (flipping the bird as he's restrained), Meadow demands to see a warrant which they happily handover. Tony is marched down his own driveway in cuffs, police cars blocking the road, confused neighbors out for morning walks watching this all. Carmela follows, shouting to Dr. Cusamano on the street to tell the police Tony has a medical condition and they need to be more careful with him. Cusamano says nothing though, just watches shocked at the clearly intentionally humiliating spectacle unfolding.

The family are quick to pile into the car to follow, AJ asleep in the back, Meadow driving and Carmela frustrated as she takes a call from Janice and has to explain to her that Tony getting arrested probably IS going to interfere with their proposed trip to visit Bobby and Janice at their summer home in Upstate New York. Janice insists everything will be fine, but once she hangs up she jostles Bobby awake from his nap on the couch to warn him that if he has hollow-point bullets in anything, he better take them out!

Carmela looks through the change of clothes she has brought Tony, and is furious when she realizes that AJ grabbed the dirty ones instead of the ones from the dry-cleaning bag. AJ, who has apparently moved from construction to the job at Beansie's Pizza Place he so vehemently rejected last season, complains that her closet light wasn't working but is smart enough to shut the hell up when she snaps a warning at him. Now is NOT the time for his sulky teen (is he even still a teen at this point?) attitude. Meadow though is still outraged, not at her brother but the police, asking if the frankly ridiculous show of force for Tony's arrest was purely about humiliating him.

Tony's situation is certainly humiliating, though he keeps his poker face. Put into an overcrowded holding cell, he's blank-faced as he takes a seat on a bench, either not noticing or ignoring the guy who drops his trousers to take a poo poo in the mostly exposed toilet only a few feet behind him.

The benefit of his infamy (and wealth) is that he's quickly taken to court for his arraignment. Neil Mink makes a strong argument, Tony was arrested on the say-so of a 16-year-old entirely unrelated to Tony in any respect who was arrested during a traffic stop when a bag with cocaine residue in it was found on him... which lead to the discovery on the floor of a gun with hollow-point ammunition in it. Mink's argument, which is a perfectly feasible one, is that the kid is full of poo poo but that the Prosecution couldn't resist a chance for a big juicy arrest and so took him at his word.

We don't get to hear what the Judge (or Prosecution) says in response to this, as we cut to the Averna Social Club for a welcome home party. This time it isn't to celebrate Phil Leotardo's return from jail, but a long convalescence in Florida after undergoing heart surgery. Things have changed in the meantime, Gerry Torciano - once known as "The Hairdo" - now looks older and more dignified, though he can't help cracking a few jokes at Phil's expense in any case. For the briefest of moments an uneasy silence falls over the room as Phil glares at the guy who was only Made a couple of years earlier... and then he laughs and embraces him, and everybody is relieved and pleased.

Phil makes no bones about the fact he remains a cranky old man, but he also is showing a level of self-awareness he perhaps didn't have before. Something about Tony's words on that bedside visit in hospital seem to have stuck with him, as he admits at 66-years-old his best days are behind him and now all he really wants is to spend time at home and play with his grandkids. Even when he briefly greets Faustino "Doc" Santoro and the others complain about Doc's recent behavior, Phil doesn't rise to the bait. Oddly, it is only when Doc and then Butchie brings up Tony's recent arrest and Dominic (played by Dominic Chianese's real-life son) cracks a joke about Tony going down on livestock that Phil shows anything like his old fire: glaring a hole through the man for showing disrespect. Is it because Phil has a newfound empathy for Tony following their bedside conversation? Is it purely because Phil remains old school and a soldier doesn't badmouth a Boss? Whatever the case, he makes it clear that this is NOT a subject to make light of.

Peter Acinapura, the Essex County Prosecutor, is in 7th Heaven as he holds a bustling press conference to declare his dedication to prosecuting Tony Soprano to the fullest extent of the law to end the blight of gun violence. Meadow is watching this PR circus unfold on the television, while AJ is more interested in spending time with Hector, showing off the tattoo he got on his arm of Blanca's name. Blanca herself is helping Carmela prepare food, while Carlo and Silvio help themselves but also keep an eye on the TV.

Paulie and Patsy arrive with Tony, much to everybody's relief, he has been released on bail. Meadow and Carmela rush to hug him, and aren't pleased when Blanca notes with surprise that he's ALREADY out. AJ, still holding a playful Hector, is quick to explain that in "their" neighborhood, the police tend to keep people in jail longer. It seems that this relationship has some legs, AJ is clearly enamored with Hector, has a tattoo of Blanca on his arm, and refers to her place as "theirs" - surely his youthful enthusiasm for his first serious adult relationship won't backfire on him!

Carmela takes a call from Bobby as Tony notes with surprise and disappointment that Christopher is nowhere to be seen. Carmela passes the phone to Tony and Bobby asks if he should come down, but Tony insists he is fine. If that's the case, Bobby thinks he should come up as planned, if not for pleasure (Bobby is relaxing by a picturesque lake) then for business, since they have a deal with some Canadians to work on. Considering the issues he's facing at home, it might be a good idea to take some time away? Tony stares at his son holding another man's child - a child still sucking on a pacifier no less - and decides that maybe for his own good some time away wouldn't hurt after all.

Peter Acinapura, fresh off his high of a big press conference to announce his intended prosecution of a reputed Mob Boss, is brought down to Earth in no uncertain terms. Sitting in his office, he's shocked to see US Attorney Castleman come walking in with a hard, humorless slash of a grin on his face. Acinapura's face takes on the look of a kid realizing they DIDN'T get away with some stupid bullshit without their parents known after all, as Castleman demands to know if his cheap headline was really worth loving with a RICO case the Federal Government has been building for FIVE years?

Tony and Carmela drive Upstate, Carmela worrying over only having a single bar on her cellphone, concerned because prospective buyers will be coming to look at her Spec House - which, thanks to shoddy building materials being overlooked, is now complete - on Tuesday and she still hasn't been able to get the gas turned on. Tony's phone is working fine though, as he takes a very well-received call from Neil Mink: the charges, as bullshit as he said they were, have been dropped. Tony is extremely grateful, thanking Mink sincerely. Hanging up, he gets a little miffed again when Carmela mentions that she didn't want the charge hanging over his birthday. It seems this was the reason behind his reluctance to travel: he doesn't like people making a fuss on his birthday (though as Carmela notes, he also gets grumpy if people don't).

They arrive at the Summer home, which quite frankly is far, far nicer than Bobby and Janice's current mansion. It sits on the edge of a lake, surrounded by beautiful trees. Bobby is watering the hedge as Janice sits out by the lake, and they both greet Tony and Carmela happily when they arrive. Carmela slips inside to use the bathroom and Janice goes in too, and Tony admits to Bobby as he looks out over the stunning view that he always fights coming up here but realizes every time he does just how lovely it is.

Inside, Carmela coos over little Domenica (they brought the nanny, Mercedes, with them to watch her the bulk of the time) who is wearing a dress that matches Janice's. Domenica is thrilled to see Tony, though not as thrilled as he is to see her. He gives her a hug as he teases her that he's forgotten her name, and they all "ahhhhhhh" with happiness as she reaches out for Bobby, saying she wants her daddy.

But these Sopranos, they always take things too far. Tony can't help, after this pleasant greeting and warm welcome, to "joke" that the lawn looks awful. Janice can't help sniping that Bobby is tired from all the lawn-care he has to do at home since "somebody" told Sal Vitro he didn't need to do it anymore. That of course gets Tony's ire up, so the beautiful mansion he got for her wasn't enough? Janice insists she was just joking, which ironically is the excuse Tony would have used if Bobby had gotten upset over the initial lawn remark, and he clearly isn't happy with the shoe being on the other foot. It's down to Bobby to play peacemaker, as he offers Tony a beer which he is quick to accept.

Tony is happier later though when Bobby takes him out into the woods to show him his birthday present: an AR-10. With great pleasure Tony shoots off multiple rounds into the foliage, joking that killing a deer with this wouldn't leave much of the deer left. He scoffs at Bobby claiming using an automatic rifle wouldn't be fair on the deer, but is genuinely impressed that for the last two seasons Bobby has actually been hunting with a bow and arrow exclusively. After learning the AR-10 is his gift, he's even more impressed, though he's quick to remind him not to say anything to Carmela about it... after all, he only just narrowly escaped jail on a firearm charge.

As the day wanes, all four sit down by the lake and enjoy the lovely view. Carmela, in an astonishing act of selective memory, recalls fondly about the time she and Tony almost bought a summer home down by the shore. Tony is quick to change the subject, after all Whitecaps is where his entire life (i.e, their marriage) almost collapses beyond salvage. It really is quite remarkable that Carmela, always good at compartmentalization but never quite to this extent, would bring that up, and it says a lot about her ability to "correct" the narrative of her life to fit in with her desired self-image.

Tony scoffs stuffed mushrooms to keep from having to answer, while Bobby explains how this place came to be in their possession. It belonged to his father, who brought the place to be near Canada, since he had business connections there dating back to HIS father, who entered America illegally via Montreal. Carmela is surprised to hear that, and without a hint of irony or self-awareness Bobby explains how his grandfather was involved in anti-Government activities in Italy and had a police record so had to bypass Ellis Island.... but they should totally build a wall NOW to keep the REAL undesirables out! They all agree wholeheartedly, it was okay when THEIR forebears did it but not now!

Domenica is playing with Mercedes on the other side of a shallow dip of water and waves happily to her parents who wave back then breezily continue their adult conversation without another thought for their daughter and all the quality time she is spending with the hired help instead of them. It seems this extends to the older kids too, Sophia and Bobby Jr are both away at boarding schools now. It seems unfair to single out Janice since Bobby has agreed to this state of affairs obviously, but it is notable that Bobby was always a hands-on family man when he was with Karen and now seems more than willing to pass off his kids to other people to raise.

They all sit in silence briefly, and then Janice, as always never quite able to not try and make some big grand gesture, excitedly points out how lucky she is now and how remarkable it is that she and Tony have the kind of relationship they do now. She says the credit is all Tony's, and at first it seems like normal rear end-kissing... until she notes with approval how he changed. "So I had to change?" demands Tony, raising alarm bells for everybody. Janice insists she meant it as a compliment, and notes the changes came after the shooting/hospitalization last year and she is sure Carmela would agree. Carmela does (after all, Tony now often spends time at home and takes a greater interest in dealing with the kids... at times), and for the moment things seem to settle again... but, well, these Sopranos, they always takes things too far. He demands to know HOW he changed, and wisely everybody just shuts up, don't try to answer, and just stare out at the lake.

Tony looks over at Domenica, who is giggling as she shoots bubbles from a toy gun across the water at them, going unnoticed by her parents. This reminds me of something, and he asks Carmela to tell the story she heard about the pool. Carmela gasps and says she doesn't want to even think about that story... and almost before she has a chance to blink she immediately launches into it! Bobby and Janice listen horrified as she shares the story she heard from her pharmacist about a 3-year-old at a barbecue who managed to slip into a pool and drown despite being surrounded by adults. They hauled the kid out and revived them, but now she's brain-dead and confined to a wheelchair.

Bobby and Janice are mortified of course (but neither turns to look at their own child), while Tony admits that he hasn't been able to get that horrible story out of his head since he heard it. He's always felt connected with animals and small children, of course, since they don't judge or see anything beyond the surface level he presents them. But even with that in mind he finds it troubling that this story sticks with him. None of them, including Janice, make the connection that their mother used to find a kind of savage satisfaction/fascination with just these kind of horrifying stories as well.

Tony appears to be suffering some deep pain in bed early the next morning... until he starts laughing in relief as he reaches climax. Carmela emerges from down by his crotch and hugs him, wishing him a happy birthday. It appears that Tony isn't the only half of this couple that gives out oral sex on birthdays.

As Tony and Bobby head out onto the water drinking and laughing for a spot of fishing, Carmela talks to AJ on the phone. She's giving him instructions about keeping the house closed up in case of rain, and he grumpily tells her he's got it. She overhears a voice in the background and he explains he's at work at the pizzeria and he has to go. After hanging up, Blanca joins him: he's not at work, he's been banging his girlfriend in his parents' bed and the voice was her gushing over the jacuzzi in the ensuite. They make out a little more until the doorbell rings, it's all his friends come over for a pool party. I take back what I said earlier, AJ is permanently a teenager.

Carmela and Janice pack up from lunch, Carmela noting that Tony hit the booze pretty hard at lunch and she's worried he's feeling his age. Janice, the older sibling, laughs that if Tony is then imagine how things are for her! She recalls fondly how different things were when they were kids, back then Tony would do whatever she told him to. She even convinced him to eat one of their dog's milk-bones by telling him it was a cookie. As always, everything comes back to Livia though, as Janice explains that their mother was a "splitter" who actively turned the kids against each other. Seemingly more to convince herself, Janice notes that this was probably to "toughen" them up for the real world, as opposed to Livia weaponizing her own children against each other so she could remain on top.

Janice notes how rude AJ was to Carmela on the phone, but Carmela insists that this is just a phase that is thankfully coming to a close (what signs is she basing this on?). She's more worried about the fact that he still hasn't gone back to College, if anything he seems to be settling in to a life working at the pizza parlor and living (not officially) with Blanca. Janice, really more interested in talking about herself than AJ, goes right back to talking about Livia again though. She notes with interest that another thing she identified in therapy was that Livia actually had a strong and loving relationship with all of them... when they were babies. It was as they got older and became their own people who could express their own ideas that she took issue with them.

Janice doesn't say it but must be at least somewhat aware that Tony, of course, is the same. But in all likelihood she has no idea that she herself isn't much better: she's as selfish and narcissistic as her brother is and mother was, but she exhibits this in her performative self-awareness and attempts at betterment. She's also firmly taken control of the Baccalieri household and gone to great strides to make sure Bobby Jr and Sophia - old enough to express their own ideas - are kept firmly under control. Domenica isn't old enough to be a problem for her... yet.

Still, aware of not, this is all getting a little intense, especially when Janice offers,"It wasn't that she didn't love us!" and Carmela can't bring herself to say anything in return. So Janice picks up a bottle of wine and waggles it at Carmela, who barely resists before grinning and agreeing she could use a glass too.

Tony and Bobby meanwhile are relaxing in the boat, fishing lines out, beers nearby. Bobby is in relaxed bliss but Tony, mortality on his mind due to his birthday, is getting a little maudlin. He notes that Bobby has been doing well recently, proved to be a solid earner AND of course he's his brother-in-law which ties them closer than most. In an echo of a conversation he once had with Dr. Melfi regarding Christopher, Tony points out how most people in his job end up in jail like Johnny Sack or on an embalming table. Bobby tries to wave that away, insisting they're both still young men and Tony will be fine. Tony however has a different mindset: without the risk, there is no reward.

Janice seemingly has polished off far more of that bottle (or more) than Carmela has. They're on the lawn furniture outside looking out over the lake, Janice has actually nodded off while Carmela just enjoys the quiet for the time being before dozing off herself.

Bobby has gotten engaged in the conversation with Tony now, though he's still more of a glass half-full type of guy. He admits that in their "line of work" IT (death) is always out there, but as far as he figures things you probably wouldn't even see or hear it coming, or even know it had happened. He chuckles at them both being "morbid fucks", getting Tony to laugh as well. But it does make Tony consider something that hasn't ever really come up before: Bobby has never actually killed anybody before. Sure he's beaten, intimidated, even shot people in the past... but never actually murdered another human being. Bobby admits it is true, and though he seems slightly uncomfortable with the fact he doesn't shy away from admitting it. Tony actually offers an "a salut", surprisingly, admitting that it is a giant pain in the balls.

The irony of course was that Bobby's father was like a "Terminator", he killed many people and even died in the aftermath of one last hurrah with Mustang Sally. Bobby admits that his father never actually wanted him to do the same, and admitted at times that he wished he'd just stayed a barber instead of becoming a hitman. Tony laughs that he'd rather have been shot by him than get a haircut from him and Bobby laughs too, a genuine laugh full of affection for a father who, despite being a "Terminator", he truly and deeply loved.

But not things take a more serious bent. Tony admits that he has over the last few years being bringing somebody along within the organization to help insulate him from potential legal risk.... but also to look after Carmela in the event the worst happens (much like Phil Leotardo did for Ginny). The trouble is, Tony is starting to suspect the two of them (he never mentions Christopher by name, but Bobby surely suspects it) have divergent agendas. He doesn't even seem to blame Christopher, admitting this type of thing just happens sometimes. But it means somebody else may need to step into that role. As a result, he's passing over control of a upcoming scam whereby they get the contracts to replace broken windows in the projects to Bobby. He never comes right out and says it, simply that they'll see what the future brings, but the implication is clear: if he handles this right, more responsibilities will come, and eventually Bobby could be the sole conduit through which all instructions and directives are given.

This single line in the midst of a scene with a lot else going on has been endlessly studied and referenced and pored over for 13 years at the time of this writing. It, perhaps more than any other piece of arguable "foreshadowing", has stood out to the point that I'm convinced many people remember the context of the scene it happens in completely differently to what actually aired.

Later that evening, everybody sings Happy Birthday to a beaming Tony who blows out the candles on the cake they've presented him. They've all had a significant amount of booze and it shows, especially on Bobby who is eager for more. Janice hands Tony a gift and they all laugh and say it along with him as he reminds them that he asked for just kind words and no gifts. Janice points out that their father used to say this every year as well, while Tony makes a face familiar to millions of children all over the world, wrinkling up his forehead as he tries to figure out exactly what the gift he just got is: Sopranos Home Movies? It turns out Janice has digitally transferred all the family's old Super-8 tapes onto DVDs. He offers a cautious thanks, then more genuinely tells her it was a thoughtful gift, which clearly means a lot to her. It's soon forgotten though when Carmela brings in far more than kind words, a new set of golf clubs!

Bobby offers a toast of "Cent' ann'" (100 years, or basically shorthand for saying may you continue for a long time yet) but before they drink Tony offers a heartfelt reply that he couldn't ask for anything more than to still be alive, to have his health, to be in this beautiful place AND to be with people he loves.

The night continues and gets even boozier, as Janice and Carmela sing karaoke while knocking back drinks, and Bobby and Tony giggle on the couch while also knocking back drinks. The kitchen counter is stacked with empty bottles of liquor as the night rolls on, and things have gotten drunk enough that yes the old summer-time standby of Monopoly has been pulled out of the cupboard for a play: a game where vicious arguments break out even when sober, this is a great idea!

The first inkling of trouble comes when Tony gets a $100 fine via Community Chest and puts it in the middle of the board instead of in the bank. Carmela explains this is the "Free Parking" rule, a Soprano Family house rule whereby all money from Community Chest and Chance stack in the middle of the board and whoever lands on Free Parking gets to keep it. Bobby doesn't think this should be allowed, after all the Parker Brothers put a lot of thought into the rules! "gently caress the Parker Brothers" grunts Janice (Lizzie Magie would probably agree), this is the way they play it! Bobby, never one to hold a bad temper long, notices they're out of Grappa and enthusiastically offers to find a different bottle of liquor to keep drinking.

As the game progresses, Janice isn't quite drunk enough not to notice Tony palming money from the Bank into his own cash reserves, and without malice tells him she saw it. Carmela is mad but not aggressively so, more comically offended at Tony for stooping so low. Bobby though, who is so easygoing in most respects, is further incensed when Tony also manages to make it Free Parking and collect the money. Now look, cheat the law? Sure! Run illegal sports-books and be a loan-shark and beat up people? No problem? But THIS? This is just wrong! They've taken a game of skill and made it about luck! He makes up a ludicrous rule to showcase how dumb it is, and doesn't appreciate Tony's mocking reply.

The game continues though, and there is a brief respite from Bobby's growing irritation when suddenly Domenica appears, unsurprisingly still awake considering all the noise they're making, wanting to be with her daddy again. Mercedes comes down and explains she rushed down because she - in perfect toddler logic - wanted to say goodnight AGAIN. Bobby is charmed but tells her calmly that she still has to go to bed, and is put off when Janice lovingly picks her up and tells her that if she goes to bed now then mommy will give her a candy.

He reminds her that they spoke about giving her bribes to do what she's supposed to just do, but Janice insists this is just positive reinforcement. Tony is on Bobby's side on this one, though he's more amused than anything, agreeing it's clearly a bribe. Janice, forcing a smile, tells him to butt the gently caress out and he lets out a theatrical,"Ohhhh!" about her swearing in front of the baby. She hands Domenica off to Mercedes and sends them off to the kitchen to get the laffy taffy, trying to maintain her composure while Tony - as always pushing too far - suggests he tape HER and send it to Parents Magazine.

She has no idea what he means, and he grumpily brings up her taping him and blackmailing him, acting as if because HE has been fuming over it on-and-off for the last 30+ years she must have been thinking about it too. Janice of course doesn't (actively) remember this, but Carmela - who spills over her wine clumsily as she turns about - jumps to her husband's aid by reminding Janice that she admitted earlier today about feeding him a milk-bone. This Tony did NOT remember, and he is outraged while Janice laughs happily at the memory. She has another family memory she wants to bring up, one that won't be in any of the Home Movies: the time their parents came back from the Copa. Tony is instantly enraged, warning her not to tell the story, but of course their respective spouses are now fascinated. The listen, horrified (and in spite of themselves, amused) as Janice tells the story of Livia making such a fuss on the car ride home that Johnny Boy pulled out a gun and shot a hole through her beehive hairdo.

Think about that for a second. Johnny Boy Soprano - the poor victim of his mother's relentless nature in Tony's memory - pulled a gun on his own wife and literally shot her. Through the hair only, yes, but holy gently caress what the Christ? You can bet this story has NEVER come up during sessions with Melfi.

Tony is furious, insisting that Carmela never tell the kids that story. Janice, cackling with laughter, goes back to the game, ignoring Tony's sulking, rolling doubles and making it to the Boardwalk. Tony grunts that she blew guys under it, and Bobby eyes him with shock and more than a little irritation... did he really just say that? Janice rolls again and checks her card, noting she won SECOND prize in a beauty contest and telling Tony to go ahead and crack whatever cheap joke he wants to make. Tony, seemingly a little calmer now, insists that he has nothing to add, and Bobby, willing to let sleeping dogs lie, muses on buying a railroad. But as he considers, Tony leans over to Carmela and just loud enough for everybody at the table to hear declares that a German Shepherd's shaved rear end in a top hat won first prize.

That's it. That's the breaking point.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Mar 15, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Bobby, who from his first ever appearance in the show has been relentless mocked, looked down on, treated like poo poo and taken all manner of abuse and insult without response has finally had enough. For years he has swallowed his pride and his anger over Tony - both his Boss and later his brother-in-law - insulting his wife, calling his manhood into question and overlooking his talents out of some petty grudge with his sister. Through it all he has slowly risen in the ranks to the point Tony is even considering making him his direct conduit to the other mobsters, but there is only so much a man - especially a drunk man - can take. He snaps at Tony that he won't have this kind of talk about his wife, especially not while Tony is a guest in HIS home. He snaps equally at Janice for trying to play it off, telling her that she needs to stay out of this. "You Sopranos," he complains, not inaccurately,"You go too far."

Tony takes a moment, bewildered at this unexpected show of backbone... and backs down. Slurring his speech but making his point clear, he agrees that Bobby is right. He offers an apology to Janice, agrees he took it too far and promises to stop. Janice is already moving on, whether from a genuine lack of offense or just a desperate desire not to let things get out of hand. Bobby for his part looks not only satisfied but pleased, he stood up for his wife and himself and Tony recognized his fault and apologized.

But as Carmela takes her turn and complains about getting hit with Income Tax, Tony begins lightly humming and singing,"Under the Boardwalk" under his breath, changing the lyrics to Janice having a schlong in her mouth... and Bobby punches him right in the loving face.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6ktF-y-hPU

Carmela and Janice are up in a shot, horrified, screaming to their respective husbands. Tony was sent crashing to the ground but is up in a second, enraged, lunging at Bobby and slamming him against the wall. Glass shatters and Tony lays in hard punches to Bobby's stomach, the two slapping at each other's faces like two lumbering bears clashing over territory. They ignore their wives panicked screams, Tony headbutting Bobby who responds by punching him in the face again. This time Tony stays up and manages to get his own punch in, then slams Bobby against the wall again. As they struggle for control, Tony - an expert at dirty fighting - attempts to knee him in the groin. But Bobby isn't Perry Annunziata, he hasn't been taken by surprise and he knows how to fight dirty himself. He gets a good grip on what little hair Tony has and pulls hard on it. Carmela, tired of simply screaming, rushes up behind Tony and leaps on his back, hoping to get through to him that way. He shrugs her off without a backwards look, she tumbles down and whacks the coffee table with a squawk. Bobby delivers his own headbutt to Tony, a punch to Tony's gut and another to the face. Tony stumbles back and crashes through the table with the monopoly board, a little hotel getting stuck to the side of his face. Bleary-eyed, confused, he tries to get back up but collapses again as Bobby stands waiting, braced to fight if Tony isn't done.

Janice grabs at her husband, screaming at him, demanding to know what the gently caress he's doing. The full enormity of what he's just done seemingly hitting home, Bobby rushes outside and into his car, beat up and drunk and in no condition to drive. Domenica screams from upstairs and a horrified (and sober) Mercedes gapes from the stairwell, and Janice shouts at her to go put her daughter to bed, what do they pay her for!?! She races after Bobby, screaming at him to stop, and he reverses the car directly into a tree.

Inside, Carmela helps Tony up and he, of course, asks her if SHE is alright. She admits her shoulder hurts, but Tony is clearly the one in far worse condition. Janice timidly reenters her own house, asking how Tony is, and Bobby staggers in after her, his adrenaline gone but having probably helped sober him up somewhat. He starts to offer an apology and Janice snaps at him to shut up, and this time he DOES listen. Carmela insists everybody just go to bed, and in one final beautiful humorous twist to this hosed up scene, flicks the now bloody hotel from Tony's cheek.

Violence is never the answer, and Monopoly should never be played by anybody... but my God there was something incredibly satisfying about watching Bobby finally reach breaking point and just beat the poo poo out of Tony.

Carmela gets Tony upstairs and into bed, while in their own bedroom the full enormity if REALLY sinking in for Bobby while Janice harangues him, asking what the gently caress he was thinking. Many times in the past she has complained about him not sticking up for her enough, but the one time he did it was to beat the poo poo out of the Head of the Family!?! He's not going to just forget about this tomorrow morning, and she doesn't accept his excuse that he was defending her from being insulted: she's a big girl, she can handle her brother throwing a few playground-level insults her way.

Carmela returns to Tony with the ice, but she's still more than a little drunk herself and Tony has fallen asleep splayed out on the bed. She can't quite manage to get the ice to stay on his head, and she can't move him on the bed enough to either undress him or to get on the bed herself. So instead she staggers to the kids' room and collapses on the bottom bunk bed and falls into a deep, drunken sleep herself.

Tony coughs himself awake at 4 in the morning, the ice-pack now just full of water. He stumbles out of the bedroom, past the kids' room where he spots Carmela sleeping, and makes his way to Janice and Bobby's room. He opens the door and enters, looming ominously over the bed. Janice and Bobby jerk awake with a start, Janice whispering in horror to ask what he is doing. Tony is determined to impart a message, wagging his finger and forcing out through bruised lips an important statement to Bobby,"You beat me fair and square." With that he turns and returns to his room, leaving neither of them feeling comforted at all.

The next morning the sound of bottles clinking outside wakes Tony. He's still wearing his shoes and the clothes from the night before, and he lurches to the window and looks outside. Bobby, seemingly none the worse for wear from their fight, is emptying the collected booze bottles they powered through last night into the recycling bin. The noise drills through Tony's head, but more upsetting for him is that Bobby seems entirely fine.

Carmela brings him aspirin for his headache and a grumpy question on if he's proud of himself for last night's debacle. He thanks her for the drink, and asks after her shoulder, suggesting they get it looked at, trying to make out like she came off worse than his bruised and battered body. He admits that she did tell him to ease off on the drinking, and then unbelievably - because the Sopranos go too far - chides her for not INSISTING he do it. Carmela is having none of it though, she's packed and wants them to get the gently caress out of there.

Outside, Janice is desperately trying to pretend everything is fine, telling them she made frittata. Bobby at least looks chastened but offers them a drink, but Carmela explains they've decided to leave. Tony for once doesn't take the lead, just agrees with his wife. But Janice and Bobby both insist, last night was just one of those things that happens with family sometimes, and THEY have already forgotten it. Bobby also points out to Tony that they are supposed to be dealing with the Canadians later, and he - clearly having forgotten - finds himself torn between his humiliation and his desire to make money. Carmela too seems uncertain how to handle things now, so Bobby eases things by suggesting they need Hair of the dog and passes them all a drink. They raise an awkward toast and drink, hoping that the thing that caused all their problems earlier might help solve them now.

But Tony finds no comfort in the drink or the beautiful view. He sits in contemplation (well, that's a nice word for sulking) looking out over the lake. The wind through the trees that brought him such contentment after he got home from the hospital do nothing to ease him now. Janice watches him from the house nervously, warning Bobby she knows that "sitting in the chair thing", but he - the voice of reason once again today - reminds her that people do actually just sit in chairs. The entire time he's trying to tune a radio, which details the many deaths and horrors that were going on in Iraq at the time: a reminder of how much worse others have it? Just a way to mark the historical point of the show? This next one wouldn't have been the intended reason, but I can't help but think about how Christopher confidently told Adriana,"We're gonna rule the world!" back in season 5.

Tony hears footsteps approaching, it's Carmela who informs him the couple who looked at her Spec House didn't bother to show up for a second look. She's depressed about that, obviously, but tries to move on and find something positive, noting that Meadow is staying in to study this weekend. Apparently she ended up choosing Medicine over law, though Carmela - who does equate money with success/education - can't help but note that she wants to be a pediatrician which is a lovely thing but NOT the highest paid you can get as a doctor. She offers all this, and Tony, who has been sitting in silent "contemplation" all this time offers back... that if the throw rug hadn't been there he would have won the fight last night.

She's revolted, THIS is what concerns him? A stupid fight between two overweight middle-aged men? "Jesus Christ, do you think I care?" she snaps, and he insists she does, after all she was there that night he beat up Dominic Tedesco in the parking lot at Pizza World! He didn't even know her name at the time, but he saw how she looked at him when he beat some other stupid teenager up and apparently he assumes she hasn't matured on from that mindset in the decades since. "I was in loving High School!" she snaps at him,"I'm supposed to be turned on by you beating up your brother-in-law at your 47th birthday!?!"

Tony isn't hearing her though, he's decided the way things are and that's it. Bitterly he complains that Bobby is only 42-43 (it never occurred to me before that Janice has probably close to a decade or more on her husband) and those few years make a difference. Outraged, Carmela makes a point that Tony doesn't want to hear: he had it coming. She points out how much he bullies Bobby and how he gets away with it because he's his Boss, and THIS Tony does hear, but only so he can piss and moan and complain that everybody always forgets that he got them that mansion they live in now, and he did at the cost of his friendship with Johnny Sack. But Carmela isn't going to let him get away with this pity party, yes he got them the mansion and yes they're grateful for it, but that doesn't mean they have to bow and scrape and kiss his rear end on every little thing he does.

But this is where Tony reveals what the real crux of the problem is for him, not just with the beating but the entire birthday itself: he's old. Still assuming that Carmela is judging him/looking down on him for losing the fight, he tells her she has to come to terms with the fact he's older and his body is still hurt from a severe trauma that he is never likely to fully recover from: THEY have to face facts. Frustrated with his unwillingness to actually listen except for when it suits him, she walks away, while Christopher chooses this absolute worst possible time to call his cell and offer cheerful "belated" birthday wishes. Tony doesn't even reply, just immediately hangs up in disgust.

Shortly after he carries his golf clubs to the car, watching as Nica and Mercedes play and sing together, neither parent anywhere to be seen. He returns to the house and joins the others for lunch, where Bobby is doing his best to make casual conversation, discussing a recent scare about snakefish getting into the lake that thankfully proved unfounded. But as the conversation continues, Tony suddenly speaks up to "pleasantly" inform Bobby that if they'd fought a year ago the result would have been different. Carmela can't believe it, while Bobby - sober and alert - is happy to agree that everybody knows Tony was at a disadvantage last night.

Tony agrees happily, sipping his beer and smiling broadly as he promises he isn't trying to take away anything from Bobby's victory... but a sucker punch is a sucker punch! In spite of himself, maybe picking up on a little of that Soprano "go too far" magic, he asks Tony to make up his mind: was it fair and square like he said last night or the result of a sucker punch? "I think we both know what's what!" smiles Tony, then insists that Bobby should forget about it, because he has.

Nothing quite says,"I'm totally over this and don't care about it at all!" like brooding all day, constantly bringing it up and adding multiple qualifiers onto every statement you make about it!

Later Bobby is firing up the grill while Janice and Carmela are playing dominoes when Tony suddenly declares it is time for him and Bobby to go: they have a golf game with "some people". Bobby quickly agrees that he had forgotten about this and leaves with him, both ignoring Carmela's suggestion they hit balls into the lake. Janice is left concerned: what does her brother intend to do with her husband?

It's an uncomfortable drive, Bobby clearly half-suspicious himself despite the meeting with the Canadians laid out well in advance. Tony knows Bobby is uncomfortable and enjoys it, getting to display the power he feels was threatened or undermined by his defeat in their drunken brawl the night before.

Back at the summer home, Carmela is in the shallow water with Domenica who is wearing waders, the two splashing about as Mercedes watches from a chair only a few feet away. Suddenly Janice striding out, furious at Mercedes for not telling her they were going in the lake. Mercedes points out she is actually right there watching her, and Carmela agrees, pointing out she's right there besides Nica as well. But Janice made it clear that she wasn't to go into the water without her present, and calls to her daughter to get out of the water now. Nica, who is having a good time AND getting attention from her Aunty Carmela, doesn't want to of course. When Janice insists, she refuses, screeching when Janice wades into the water and hauls her out. "MAD!" Nica pouts, and Janice warns her she'll give her something to be mad about and thrusts her into Mercedes' arms, telling her to take her upstairs and put her to bed.

As the wailing Domenica is taken away, Janice complains that she's never spoken to her that way before she's clearly imitating Bobby Jr who is going through puberty and being argumentative as well. She seems completely unaware that she is demonstrating the exact same behavior she literally told Carmela only yesterday that Livia had too: she's upset at her children for choosing to express themselves as separate individuals from herself. But Carmela, who once lambasted Janice for questioning her parenting, doesn't critique or question, instead just quietly agreeing that maybe the crying Domenica did need that nap after all.

Janice takes a seat and Carmela joins her, and they share a laugh when Carmela brings up the story about Johnny Boy shooting Livia's hairdo. But the memory and seeing Carmela rubbing at her shoulder makes Janice make uncomfortable connections, and carefully she brings up the time a boyfriend hit her and she exploded with rage. She mumbles a bit about her father and mother and their respective tempers, Carmela becoming irritated at where she thinks this is leading. Janice mentions that the boyfriend "went his separate way" but she doesn't regret it, and this line makes me think she is referring to Richie Aprile, though she gives no further details.

But as she continues talking about how she's so much like her father, Carmela cuts her off to point out she recognizes this kind of rambling as Janice's way of talking around a subject, and she wants to know exactly what she is trying to say. What she assumes Janice is trying to ask is if Tony has ever been physically abusive to her or the kids, and she quickly shits all over that idea, noting that the only violent actions Tony ever took on any of them was the single time he slapped AJ, and he felt terrible for days afterwards.

Of course, she's largely ignoring or papering over the number of times Tony has physically menaced, half-choked or even verbally goaded when looking for an excuse to get physical.

But the point isn't really about the kids and her and she knows it. Carmela, taking a leaf out of Tony's book, complains bitterly that Bobby took advantage of Tony last night and there is no excuse. Standing up, she declares that Tony is not a vindictive man, a line that bears no relationship to anything else she just said. But, of course, the subject they've both been dancing about and even now don't directly address is that both are terrified that Tony took Bobby out somewhere to kill him. Carmela walks away in a huff and Janice protests ignorance as to what she said that could be so insulting. But neither of them are satisfied or convinced, the same fear continues to hang over them both.

At a bar, Tony and Bobby meet with the Canadians, two Québécois who want to sell them expired osteoporosis medication (Jesus Christ). A one month supply of 4 pills sells for $70 US at a pharmacy, they can sell it to Tony at $10 US, and they can supply 20,000 pills every three months. That's 5000 one month supplies every 3 months, a 50k outlay from the DiMeo Family which can get them back potentially 300k. It's a good deal, but this is a negotiation so Bobby asks if they can bring down the price any. The Canadians are savvy, though, they're already offering them a great profit, and by pure luck when they point out how they can get the first supply to them next week they "just so happen" to remember that one of them can't make it next week because his sister is going to court to try and stop her ex-husband from taking their kid to Winnipeg. Oh that ex-husband is such an rear end in a top hat, if only he could somehow be removed from her life he would be so grateful.

Tony gets it, of course, as does Bobby. If they can get rid of the ex-husband, they can get a better deal on the medication and make even more of an obscene profit. So Tony says if they can lower the price to 35k instead of 50, he can make the ex-husband problem go away without a lawyer. The two step aside to discuss this, which is probably a formality at best, while Tony "casually" turns to Bobby and states rather than asks that he can take care of this problem, right? Astonished, Bobby contains himself and assures his Boss he can. Tony laughs that he can't use a bow and arrow this time, and goes back to drinking, satisfied with once again forcing his will on Bobby for the crime of standing up for his wife when Tony insulted her. Given the nature of their conversation on the boat, it's about the cruelest thing Tony could have done, and of course that is what he's good at: he figures out what would hurt somebody the most and does it, all to make himself feel better.

The irony being, of course, that outside of some surface level forced happiness or short-term savage pleasure, it almost never makes him feel better.

They drive back, Tony honking his horn and waving at pretty young girls water-skiing on the lake as they go. When they arrive, both wives rush out and hug and kiss their men. Neither would ever admit it but they're both hugely relieved, there was no violence, no murder. They ask how the golf game went and Tony, of course, states confidently that Bobby held his own but eventually... he lets that hang, because rear end in a top hat that he is, he wants to make out like it doesn't really matter to him that he won, even though it is the most important thing in the world to him (plus of course there was no game). Bobby agrees that Tony won, crediting the new golf clubs to put over Carmela as well.

Carmela asks if Tony wants lunch but he says it is about time for them to be heading back. She's a little surprised but doesn't dispute it, and they head inside to get their things. A relieved Janice turns to Bobby and congratulates him on being smart enough to let Tony win, and he offers no counter.

Their things packed, Tony and Carmela load up their car, giving goodbye hugs to their hosts and promising to give Nica a belly-smooch when she wakes from her nap. Tony thanks Janice again for the home movies, and they get into the car and drive away. Almost immediately Bobby is upstairs and packing, surprising Janice who wants to know where he is going. She isn't satisfied with his curt answer that it is business and he'll be gone a couple of days: their next guests are the Salernos and they arrive tomorrow! He snaps at her not to nag him, he'll be back when he can, and he drives away, leaving her shocked and hurt with no idea what is going on.

In Montreal, where Bobby's grandfather crossed into America, Bobby tracks down René LeCours, the drummer who wants to take his child with him to Winnipeg. He follows him into the laundry room of his apartment complex, raises his gun, and René registers the movement and turns to see his death coming. Bobby hesitates only a moment before pulling the trigger, René crashing into the dryer and down to the floor, the bullet that passed through his body not joining the shoes in the dryer tumbling about. Bobby approaches to finish and René, dying and trying to talk, grabs at his shirt. Bobby, heartbroken at finally taking a life after all these years simply because his brother-in-law threw a tantrum, is regretful but also not stopping. He shoots René in the head, killing him instantly, but his hand remains in a deathgrip on his shirt. He pulls away, his shirt tearing down the front, and beats a hasty exit from the laundry room, dropping his gun as he goes. A fragment of torn shirt and an unmarked gun left in Canada aren't going to be of any use tracking down a mobster from New Jersey. Bobby has gotten away clean... legally at least.

In his home, Tony Soprano eats ice cream and watches the silent home movies of his youth when the phone rings. It's Mink, and he has bad news: the gun charge isn't going away. Tony is confused, he was told it had been dropped? It had, by Essex County, but now the FBI having taken it over.

Tony doesn't understand, if it is a piece of poo poo case, why do the FBI have it? Mink agrees that nothing has changed, it's still an unwinnable case, but that isn't the point. By itself it is nothing, but folded into an active RICO investigation? That's another predicate to add to a long list, and THAT could be bad.

The good news is, they're having this conversation over the phone while Tony is eating ice cream and watching home movies. If the FBI actually had anything Tony would be in jail already and they've be having the conversation through glass. Tony doesn't take much pleasure in that, and ends the call. He's left alone on the couch, watching the memories of yester-year, 47-years-old, no longer confident of winning any fight he happens to get into, and with another reminder of the risks of imprisonment he faces if he can't find a conduit to insulate him from potential prosecution. He had Christopher, but Christopher is doing his own thing now. He's considered (and is still considering) Bobby, but has he poisoned that well by forcing him to commit his first murder?

With nothing else to do, he goes back to watching a happier, or at least less complicated time, when the biggest thing little Tony Soprano had to worry about was his big sister Janice splashing him with the hose.

Bobby returns to the summer home. Janice is sitting with the Salernos by the lake, their kids having a tea party with Domenica. When Bobby comes around the corner, Janice shouts out a happy greeting and the Salernos lift their wines in welcome. Domenica spots her daddy and rushes to him happily. He kneels down, a big smile on his face, and scoops her up. Janice laughs, glowing in the sun, and This Magic Moment plays over the whole scene. It's pure happiness, pure joy.... and Bobby doesn't feel it, the smile he offered his daughter was for her benefit, but it drops the moment he can turn away from the others. Standing in his father's summer home that is now his, looking out over the beautiful view, greeted by his loving wife, embracing his innocent daughter... Bobby knows that he has been irrevocably changed on some level. All for the sake of Tony Soprano's fragile ego.

This is the final season of The Sopranos, and it is as good here as it has ever been.

Season 6: Soprano Home Movies | Stage 5 | Remember When | Chasing It | Walk Like a Man | Kennedy and Heidi | The Second Coming | The Blue Comet | Made in America | The Final Scene
Season 1 | Season 2 | Season 3 | Season 4 | Season 5 | Season 6.1 | Season 6.2

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 7, 2020

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I like the parallels between the Tony - Bobby fight and the Tony - Ralphie fight. Both were started over stupid poo poo and involve two hippos of men grappling with each other. It really raises the stakes if tony is going to choke our bobby right there in the lake house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Also I just looked it up and the lake house location was Roy Scheider's house on Lake Oscawana (about an hour north of NYC).