Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
Maybe something like https://airtable.com/ ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

chaosapiant posted:

Is it true that one of the later-ish Windows 10 updates made it so that every SVCHost.exe process under the sun will now run it's own executable for every Windows process that needs it, instead of being grouped together? Hope that question makes sense. Looking at task manager I can see at least 20 instances of SVCHost.exe at any given time, probably more.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/application-management/svchost-service-refactoring

The Kins posted:

What's the best way to have tabs in Explorer nowadays? I've been using QTTabBar for a few years and it's great, but it's been breaking an awful lot with recent Windows 10 updates and it doesn't look like the official tabbed Explorer they hinted at a while back is coming out any time soon...

Just use Total Commander.

CatHorse fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Mar 9, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

With what? Because I did the same thing yesterday and it was clean. I just downloaded it again (from the ejie.me site) and it's clean.
Then perhaps they're not always serving a compromised file, or only do so to certain geographical regions or against certain Windows versions.
This is windows detecting it:

This is a VirusTotal report - https://www.virustotal.com/gui/file/8d594ecee059aabea6ccbea8a6beffe684ea1a4a1e99ccb48790c585bd3ced5c/details

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khablam posted:

Then perhaps they're not always serving a compromised file, or only do so to certain geographical regions or against certain Windows versions.
This is windows detecting it:

Crazy, can you do a md5 checksum of the file to see if it's the same as what I got then?

edit: also "potentially unwanted software" isn't really a security threat. seems like it might depend on running defender at max security settings, that may be why it wasn't flagged for me. You can extract the installer exe with 7zip, nothing inside it is flagged.

Here's what I'm betting:

If we could read japanese, one of those checkboxes would be "install bonzi buddy" or something. Optional adware.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 9, 2020

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Klyith posted:

Crazy, can you do a md5 checksum of the file to see if it's the same as what I got then?
They're under details on the VT link.

quote:

edit: also "potentially unwanted software" isn't really a security threat
Agree to disagree. I guess you can carefully read the chinglish Terms & Conditions to see what you're giving up. The PUP definition seems to suggests it's pretty invasive spyware.

quote:

If we could read japanese, one of those checkboxes would be "install bonzi buddy" or something. Optional adware.
Not optional, left box is accept terms, right box is install as service.

This is a weird defence of some Chinese crapware with bundled non-optional spyware, dude.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Khablam posted:

They're under details on the VT link.

Ah, duh. Yeah I'm not being served a different file.

Khablam posted:

This is a weird defence of some Chinese crapware with bundled non-optional spyware, dude.

I'm not trying to defend it, I want to know what's actually going on and where the flags are coming from. I've used it before and recommended it before, so if it has anything bad I want to know.

In particular I'd really like to figure out why Defender doesn't report it as anything bad on my machine despite directly scanning it. All my defender settings are defaults, so if I can figure out why it quarantines on your machine that would be a good thing to know for security!

I'd also like to know more about why AV fires on things, because when there's stuff like on trend micro that's classified as potentially unwanted due to user reports that's interesting.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Klyith posted:

edit: also "potentially unwanted software" isn't really a security threat. seems like it might depend on running defender at max security settings, that may be why it wasn't flagged for me. You can extract the installer exe with 7zip, nothing inside it is flagged.

Klyith posted:

In particular I'd really like to figure out why Defender doesn't report it as anything bad on my machine despite directly scanning it. All my defender settings are defaults, so if I can figure out why it quarantines on your machine that would be a good thing to know for security!

Had you read my previous posts, you'd know that detection for potentially unwanted software is a group policy flag not enabled by default: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...ender-antivirus

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

amenenema posted:

Any suggestions? I've been told that no one wants to use Access because of ~reasons~ so I'm open to anything!

To do this properly you are going to need an analyst to properly look at it. Otherwise, you will end up with something the equivalent of an Access database sadly.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

amenenema posted:

Question regarding searchable database software options:

Background - I work for a conservation/land trust organization and we manage a suite of nature preserves across our state. We are developing a "preserve management plan" for each of these properties which will outline all of our goals/objectives related to the properties (e.g., what species and ecosystems do we intend to manage for health/resiliency, what outdoor recreation opportunities do we want our neighbors to be able to enjoy, etc.) The problem is that traditionally these types of management plans have been Word documents (one per preserve). This is a problem for a variety of reasons, but one in particular is that we can't search for a given thing across all our properties. A searchable database solution would give us the ability to query for a particular item (a goal, outcome, strategy, activity, etc) and have the database return ALL the preserves where that is applicable.

In other words, if we have Preserve A, B, and C, and Preserve A has X and Y targets, Preserve B has Y and Z targets, and Preserve C has X, Y, and Z targets, a search of the database for "Z" should return Preserves B and C. If we can also tie other portions of the database to these results (i.e. "Target Z requires strategies L, M, N") and include cost estimates and staff contacts for content, that would be a plus too. Also, if the preserve is the "base unit" under which all the other content is captured, we'd like to be able to add narrative info that points to that unit, like having a one paragraph overview of a property.

I assume there are a zillion option out there for this type of database, so to narrow the scope a bit we're hoping to find something that is relatively user-friendly (the majority of our staff are about as far from tech folks as possible), exportable to a different platform if that is necessary in the future, and relatively affordable. We're thinking >$2k/year if that's possible.

Any suggestions? I've been told that no one wants to use Access because of ~reasons~ so I'm open to anything!

Thanks so much in advance for your help, and let me know if I should cross-post this somewhere else.

MS SQL Express is free.

Someone(s) will need to learn some t-SQL.

Scriptable to csv's, which most other things can process one way or another.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
There are some newer data platforms that support querying using natural language, but they are a lot more than $2K. For $2K use a free for commercial use relational database and learn/teach SQL.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

amenenema posted:

Question regarding searchable database software options:

Background - I work for a conservation/land trust organization and we manage a suite of nature preserves across our state. We are developing a "preserve management plan" for each of these properties which will outline all of our goals/objectives related to the properties (e.g., what species and ecosystems do we intend to manage for health/resiliency, what outdoor recreation opportunities do we want our neighbors to be able to enjoy, etc.) The problem is that traditionally these types of management plans have been Word documents (one per preserve). This is a problem for a variety of reasons, but one in particular is that we can't search for a given thing across all our properties. A searchable database solution would give us the ability to query for a particular item (a goal, outcome, strategy, activity, etc) and have the database return ALL the preserves where that is applicable.

In other words, if we have Preserve A, B, and C, and Preserve A has X and Y targets, Preserve B has Y and Z targets, and Preserve C has X, Y, and Z targets, a search of the database for "Z" should return Preserves B and C. If we can also tie other portions of the database to these results (i.e. "Target Z requires strategies L, M, N") and include cost estimates and staff contacts for content, that would be a plus too. Also, if the preserve is the "base unit" under which all the other content is captured, we'd like to be able to add narrative info that points to that unit, like having a one paragraph overview of a property.

I assume there are a zillion option out there for this type of database, so to narrow the scope a bit we're hoping to find something that is relatively user-friendly (the majority of our staff are about as far from tech folks as possible), exportable to a different platform if that is necessary in the future, and relatively affordable. We're thinking >$2k/year if that's possible.

Thanks so much in advance for your help, and let me know if I should cross-post this somewhere else.

It's hard to say without getting into more detail, but...are you sure you really need more than what you've got?

You can easily search across multiple Word documents with just Explorer.

How effective that is depends on how structured and consistent your Word docs are and exactly what your searching requirements are.

A database of some sort is, in some senses, the correct solution, but it comes with a lot of other requirements.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

I really appreciate everyone's thoughts on the database question - you all raise the right questions and have given me good guidance to go back to the powers that be on this. Regarding the "do we actually need a database" question, some hypothetical scenarios if it helps:

Development/philanthropy - a member of our fundraising staff is going to meet with a potential donor and we know that the donor is most interested in funding X. Staff could query the database for X and it would return a list of the preserves that need that improvement/management practice and quickly pull together a brief with those preserves listed and the total cost outlay would be known because those items in the DB would be associated with cost estimates.

Outreach/communication - staff receives a question from a partner or public about properties to do X activity or see Z species. Without having to search Word docs or call another staff expert, they can query and quickly provide a list of properties that have the item of interest.

Restoration/management - a public funding opportunity becomes available targeting X restoration practice, i.e. removal of a key invasive species or class of invasives (terrestrial vs aquatic for example). A grant manager could query for which preserves have those issues and with associated resource need could pull a grant application together in short order.

So I think what this is really about is putting all of the items of content you'd see in a stand-alone management plan (threats, opportunities, needs, etc) into one system where any individual, regardless of their level of knowledge on our properties (of which there are many!), could get information quickly to support good project outcomes.

I don't know if those tangible examples help, so take from it what you will. And if you have any non-database ideas that could achieve the types of results we're looking for, please let me know!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Speaking as a developer...

Honestly, I'd hire someone to develop a web app for you. It wouldn't be cheap....my off-the-cuff guesstimate is 5k-10k USD. (I'm probably biased since I get hired to do this a lot. Both web and non-web)

A database and developing the frontend so that non-technical users will be able to use it is going to be thousands of dollars no matter what. Doing it as a web app gives you a lot of flexibility.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

Dope! It sounds like the group is okay with going to a developer, and having the $5-10k estimate is very helpful. I'm definitely supportive of the web app idea too.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Would a simple CRM system work? Thinking Dynamics or barebones Salesforce or SugarCRM or something.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ynglaur posted:

Would a simple CRM system work? Thinking Dynamics or barebones Salesforce or SugarCRM or something.

I would avoid Salesforce if you're going for a small/simple setup.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Probably true.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
AirTable is perfect for that use case. Perfect.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

amenenema posted:

Dope! It sounds like the group is okay with going to a developer, and having the $5-10k estimate is very helpful. I'm definitely supportive of the web app idea too.

I was about to say that it sounds like you have a business case for this, so getting it done properly instead of some hacky solution that relies on one person not getting hit by a bus is the way to go.

Also, an off the shelf asset management tool might do what you need as you can customize the fields as you desire. For example https://snipeitapp.com.

Severing fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Mar 11, 2020

mystes
May 31, 2006

You totally could just use access.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

mystes posted:

I think I just vomited a little in my mouth.

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
At work we have a 'battle-station' which is about 30 monitors. It's basically 3-4 computers each with 4-12 monitors attached, in a U-shape around the room so 2-3 people can use it at the same time. Everyone needs to be able to see everything.

Because of COVID-19 we're trying to find some way to work with this setup remotely. Assuming you had the cash to replicate this setup at everyone's house (About $10-$12K in hardware I think?), is there any software you can use so everyone is seeing the same thing at the same time? What would the network requirements be for something like that? Any conference apps that could run 8 hours a day to make communicating easier?

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Three PTZ webcams setup right in the middle

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I’ll take the $10k consulting fee for that one. Please make the cheque out to Mr. Beet.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

mystes posted:

Severing posted:

I think I just vomited a little in my mouth.
Access is perfectly capable of doing what the OP wants. Their needs barely outgrow a sample database someone would do in an introductory IT skills course.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Khablam posted:

Access is perfectly capable of doing what the OP wants. Their needs barely outgrow a sample database someone would do in an introductory IT skills course.

It's capable, the problem is ongoing support of it. I've seen many of these little projects turn to complete crap that has to be redone when the 1 guy who made it is no longer with that business.

You are better off looking for an off the shelf product that guarantees ongoing support than hacking one together yourself with little Access knowledge.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Basically anyone can look at an access database and determine what it's meant to do and how to use it, which isn't going to be true of a custom web-app which breaks 3 years after it's made and the original developer is now off making canoes.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

I worked briefly at a small organisation (~100 staff) and someone had recently developed a student management system in access database in house. It hasd everything, rosters, grades, assessments and worked perfectly. I was really impressed tbh.

It was meant to be a place holder until they could identify an off the shelf product, but it worked so well they kept using it for years afterwards.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Khablam posted:

Basically anyone can look at an access database and determine what it's meant to do and how to use it, which isn't going to be true of a custom web-app which breaks 3 years after it's made and the original developer is now off making canoes.

You've just answered why using an Access database is a bad idea. It's as equally as bad an idea as your custom web-app example for exactly the same reasons. In both cases, when it breaks you get to own both pieces. Its going to cost you business just as much to "unfuck" both setups as either option will leave you needing to implement something new while you try to salvage the old data.

As well, in this case he does appear to have some budget and support of management to solve this problem. The correct answer is for him to talk to his organizations business analysts and work with his IT department to now turn that into something they can all fully support.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Mate I've seen first-time users put together an access database that can meet those needs.
You could do it in an excel spreadsheet if you had half a mind to it.

Overly complicated "solutions" looking for problems is the bane of small-business IT.

Microsoft Access is basically always the right solution, people just don't want to hear it.

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Khablam posted:

Mate I've seen first-time users put together an access database that can meet those needs.
You could do it in an excel spreadsheet if you had half a mind to it.

Overly complicated "solutions" looking for problems is the bane of small-business IT.

Microsoft Access is basically always the right solution, people just don't want to hear it.

If you are a small business and you must absolutely use Access for some reason, at least get your small business IT guys involved to make sure you have a plan to support it when things go wrong. Don't be like some places I've seen where some random guy makes one and it doesn't surface until things break, the only copy of it was on his C:\ and business deadlines are looming.

I still say you are better off getting something off-the-self in this instance rather than making something in Access. At least you can buy support from some company for it and get your IT to host it properly.

Severing fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Mar 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gotta say I agree with Khablam, this is literally babby's first database. And the only reason it needs to be access rather than a spreadsheet with a custom data-entry form is to lock it down so that people don't try to 'improve' it because they vaguely know how to use excel.

Severing posted:

You've just answered why using an Access database is a bad idea. It's as equally as bad an idea as your custom web-app example for exactly the same reasons. In both cases, when it breaks you get to own both pieces. Its going to cost you business just as much to "unfuck" both setups as either option will leave you needing to implement something new while you try to salvage the old data.

Unfucking a very basic access database costs as much as making the access database in the first place, which is nothing. It can probably be done in one day by someone who knows what they're doing. Unfucking a custom webapp can cost more than building it in the first place if whatever work-for-hire webdev you got left no documentation and made bad choices.

Access is a hateful product, but it is hateful because this is exactly the type of job it was designed to do: provide a very basic relational database to basic users who don't know the first thing about databases.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Khablam posted:

Oh you sweet child...

I've been hired to come fix up so many Access databases because no one knows how to use it after the one person who set it up left the company.

Basically, the problem is having developers inside or outside the company develop unsustainable systems. This is the norm for access databases, custom software, spreadsheets, etc.

It's really unfortunate, because it's completely avoidable, no matter the tech, if you run the development correctly.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Just arranging for someone to develop and maintain a web app is going to be way more work than creating this ridiculously simple database in Access.

This is exactly what Access is for.

Maybe access can get bad if you use it for complicated stuff but this use case is not complicated.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

mystes posted:

Just arranging for someone to develop and maintain a web app is going to be way more work than creating this ridiculously simple database in Access.

This is exactly what Access is for.

Maybe access can get bad if you use it for complicated stuff but this use case is not complicated.

This might or might not be true, but it depends on lots of factors that we just don't know about the project.

From the info provided so far its apparent it's equally possible its very complex or very simple. I don't know how anyone with any experience could be confident about the scope of the project at this point.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
"Guy stores critical data on a single machine with no backups"

"Business makes a custom app with no documentation and no positional responsibility, then lets it decay until it breaks completely"

These are not problems unique to access. They happen a lot with access because dummies who have no idea that they're even problems can make an access database.

The only reason that a $20k webapp is less likely to have those problems is the big investment makes people more likely to listen to someone telling them that they need to do these things.

e:

Thermopyle posted:

From the info provided so far its apparent it's equally possible its very complex or very simple. I don't know how anyone with any experience could be confident about the scope of the project at this point.
the scope in the second post certainly grew a lot from the scope of the first post. if the real goal is a complete centralized management system, an access database is probably not the greatest idea.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Mar 11, 2020

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Klyith posted:

Gotta say I agree with Khablam, this is literally babby's first database. And the only reason it needs to be access rather than a spreadsheet with a custom data-entry form is to lock it down so that people don't try to 'improve' it because they vaguely know how to use excel.

Unfucking a very basic access database costs as much as making the access database in the first place, which is nothing. It can probably be done in one day by someone who knows what they're doing. Unfucking a custom webapp can cost more than building it in the first place if whatever work-for-hire webdev you got left no documentation and made bad choices.

Access is a hateful product, but it is hateful because this is exactly the type of job it was designed to do: provide a very basic relational database to basic users who don't know the first thing about databases.

What is the argument against setting up SQL Express and giving someone like 8 hours of jr dba training and 8 hours of query training and end up with something resembling a real database?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FRINGE posted:

What is the argument against setting up SQL Express and giving someone like 8 hours of jr dba training and 8 hours of query training and end up with something resembling a real database?
The person you do this with, will leave, and they won't train someone else because initially they're new, and then costs, and then "oh I guess we can just use this instead we don't need that so much"
The thing someone knew how to use and got a solution together with, is usually Access.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

FRINGE posted:

A single person in the office who knows how to SELECT Preserve, Location FROM Preserves WHERE LocalSpecies LIKE '%Boobie%' sounds terribly inconvenient when I'm talking on the phone trying to set up the blue footed boobie tour.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Severing
Aug 26, 2017

Thermopyle posted:

Oh you sweet child...

I've been hired to come fix up so many Access databases because no one knows how to use it after the one person who set it up left the company.

Basically, the problem is having developers inside or outside the company develop unsustainable systems. This is the norm for access databases, custom software, spreadsheets, etc.

It's really unfortunate, because it's completely avoidable, no matter the tech, if you run the development correctly.

Look at the plus side: at least these businesses are keeping us employed.