Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Square Peg
Nov 11, 2008

Classon Ave. Robot posted:

"couldn't"?????

He never intended to, unless he could get STV. Not for a second.

They wanted Alternative Vote, not STV. STV is good, AV is Liberal Rule Forever.

edit: pedantic snype

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eric ciaramella posted:

not really. he lied. end of story. you dont get a break because you were in third when you promised it.

I'm not trying to exonerate the Liberals, I'm saying that they developed their platform on the assumption that they wouldn't win enough power to actually be expected to implement it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's funny how obvious they made that when they decided they needed additional consultation with canadians, via a laughably bad voluntary post card survey, that they then used to say canadians in fact did not want change... and also taking the time to make maryam monsef look like a ditz

if you had any doubts at all as to their intention, one look at that survey would have cleared them up.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
So, uhh... how does one get tested for coronavirus in BC? I can't find any information online. I'm recovering from what I'm pretty sure is a coronavirus infection, so I'd like not to go into any hospitals or doctors offices if I can help it.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Smekerman posted:

So, uhh... how does one get tested for coronavirus in BC? I can't find any information online. I'm recovering from what I'm pretty sure is a coronavirus infection, so I'd like not to go into any hospitals or doctors offices if I can help it.

Call 811 or 18337844397, worst case dial a hospital directly

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

Call 811 or 18337844397, worst case dial a hospital directly

Sweet, thanks, I'll give those a shot.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
As someone with kids I must say 811 is a great service and I’ve never had to wait longer than 5 minutes or so. Granted most of the advice is “go to a walk in clinic” for the mundane issues I was dealing with but it’s nice to know off the bat if it is something more serious.

and yeah they’ll have all the info for corona’d folks.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
its going to rock when coronavirus hits the prairies and everyone in winnipeg crams into the one remaining ER in the city all at once

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

priznat posted:

As someone with kids I must say 811 is a great service and I’ve never had to wait longer than 5 minutes or so. Granted most of the advice is “go to a walk in clinic” for the mundane issues I was dealing with but it’s nice to know off the bat if it is something more serious.

It is an excellent service and I wish more places had something similar

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I fuckin love 811. I can ask any dumb question and they will answer it in earnest, and they're always friendly nurse types too. Love to describe my poop over the phone

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Smekerman posted:

Now all you need to do is upload a picture of your doctor's note and you'll be eligible for the exclusive Covid 19 forums gang tag.

Jehde posted:

I fuckin love 811. I can ask any dumb question and they will answer it in earnest, and they're always friendly nurse types too. Love to describe my poop over the phone

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Debate & Discussion > C-SPAM: Better Posts Aren't Possible > Canada: Love to describe my poop over the phone

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Now all you need to do is upload a picture of your doctor's note and you'll be eligible for the exclusive Covid 19 forums gang tag.

we’re all gonna get covid, give it time

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
:henget:

Harold Stassen has issued a correction as of 04:47 on Jun 20, 2021

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Welp. I spent about an hour and 40 minutes on hold with 811 before reaching a nurse. She told me I can’t get tested unless I either travelled outside of Canada or cared for or had prolonged contact with someone infected with coronavirus. She assured me I just had the flu, despite my fiancée’s mom getting sick after she came back from a trip to Gabriola Island in early February (she’s still battling it), but hey, that’s not outside of Canada so it can’t possibly a coronavirus infection.

On top of it all, my workplace now is requiring a doctor’s note saying I’m fine to go back to work, which I guess means physically going in and seeing someone for that. loving hell. These past few days have been endlessly frustrating.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

priznat posted:

Yeah Telehealth Ontario is a similar service and it's just nice to be able to talk through a few things with a nurse even when 99% of the time it's "go to a clinic/the hospital you idiot"

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Smekerman posted:

Welp. I spent about an hour and 40 minutes on hold with 811 before reaching a nurse. She told me I can’t get tested unless I either travelled outside of Canada or cared for or had prolonged contact with someone infected with coronavirus. She assured me I just had the flu, despite my fiancée’s mom getting sick after she came back from a trip to Gabriola Island in early February (she’s still battling it), but hey, that’s not outside of Canada so it can’t possibly a coronavirus infection.

On top of it all, my workplace now is requiring a doctor’s note saying I’m fine to go back to work, which I guess means physically going in and seeing someone for that. loving hell. These past few days have been endlessly frustrating.

Just go to the office and interact with the management/hr team. It's just the flu bro.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
good to see canada's response is just as bad as the us's. kill us all. we deserve it.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Crow Buddy posted:

Just go to the office and interact with the management/hr team. It's just the flu bro.

I think he means the office won't let him back unless he has a doctor's note clearing him as not actually having covid-19.

Crow Buddy
Oct 30, 2019

Guillotines?!? We don't need no stinking guillotines!

Jan posted:

I think he means the office won't let him back unless he has a doctor's note clearing him as not actually having covid-19.

Lmfao, why would you tell your employer you even suspect you contracted it?!?

Good luck proving you don’t I guess.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

"You need a sick note to come back to work" is literally just the legal version of "you can't skip work without a sick note". It's designed to stop you from taking sick days.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Helsing posted:

"You need a sick note to come back to work" is literally just the legal version of "you can't skip work without a sick note". It's designed to stop you from taking sick days.

Not sure that's actually legal though?

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Crow Buddy posted:

Lmfao, why would you tell your employer you even suspect you contracted it?!?

Good luck proving you don’t I guess.

It’s what Helsing said. Also, I told them because I guess subconsciously I don’t really want to kill off half the office staff when I inadvertently turn into a super spreader on my first day back at work. Or at least feel responsible for killing them off after having lied to them that it’s the flu.

Anyway, it’s a blanket policy from corporate for anyone taking more than 3 sick days at the same time, lol

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

if covid hits ns were so hosed. the insane lack of preparation here is stunning.

there was one person for our whole loving region who did mask fit testing and they left the position months ago. no replacement. therefore there is no one currently ensuring healthcare staff are properly fitted for respirators. I do not have a recent fit and asked for this but have gotten no response in weeks. I am a frontline provider. we have only one type and size of mask at our site rn. we do not have a proper isolation room prepared. so many people will die here if it goes down. I have no faith in our leadership

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
how much of the province is over 50 anyway?

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

I think the second highest proportion in Canada aside from NL iirc. median age is nearly 44

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

welp.

is it still a demographic crisis if there's no one left?

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

precognizant triage

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i guess if the canadian government wants to pay me to homestead in NS in five years to help repopulate, i'll do it.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
the coast would just become Florida circa 1920: a billion and one real-estate scams

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

On the other hand, Newfoundland might fare well with corona because no one wants to go there.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

every hoser a carrier, every kitchen an incubator

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

half cocaine posted:

On the other hand, Newfoundland might fare well with corona because no one wants to go there.
Maybe as other airports get quarantined, flights in transit will have to land at Gander.

edit: Not a joke. I hope all this poo poo doesn't get that bad, but news from Italy and such isn't encouraging.

odiv has issued a correction as of 02:57 on Mar 11, 2020

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Smekerman posted:

e: Your job sucks, good luck seeing a GP to say you have the flu and not corona

Risky Bisquick has issued a correction as of 03:02 on Mar 11, 2020

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001

Risky Bisquick posted:

e: Your job sucks, good luck seeing a GP to say you have the flu and not corona

Why do you think it has to do with luck? The nurse on the phone didn’t even want to entertain the notion that a coronavirus infection could’ve been a community spread. What makes you so sure GPs don’t have the same biases?

Also, thanks, the job does suck and the pay is poo poo and I haven’t had a raise in 3 years. Basically, I’m just biding my time waiting for the post-apocalypse to begin.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

my morning jackass posted:

I think the second highest proportion in Canada aside from NL iirc. median age is nearly 44

NB is 49 iirc

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fighting the good fight

https://www.jccf.ca/grabher/ posted:

The Justice Centre for Constitutional Freedoms (JCCF.ca) has filed a court application against the Nova Scotia Registrar of Motor Vehicles (the “Registrar”) after it refused to reinstate the personalized licence plate of Dartmouth, NS pensioner Lorne Grabher, whose surname was deemed too “socially unacceptable” for the road.

Lorne Grabher first purchased the personalized license plate as a gift for his late father in 1991. It has since become a source of family pride, spanning three generations – Grabher’s son has the family name on his own personalized Alberta license plate.

Mr. Grabher received a letter dated December 9, 2016, from the Office of the Registrar of Motor Vehicles which stated that a complaint had been received regarding his personalized license plate. As a result of the complaint, the Registrar decided to cancel Mr. Grabher’s plate, despite acknowledging it was an explicit reference to Mr. Grabher’s surname. The reason provided for the cancellation was that the plate could be “misinterpreted” as a “socially unacceptable slogan”.

I haven't heard of Swastika, ON before!

Noblesse Obliged
Apr 7, 2012

James Baud posted:

the worst superhero catchphrase ever

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Looks like the Corona God taking out the mining industry as well

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-first-community-spread-corona-case-in-ontario-connected-to/

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

James Baud posted:

Fighting the good fight

in case anyone was curious, the JCCF is not exactly the ACLU

Wikipedia posted:

Major court cases
The JCCF has argued past cases before the Court of Queen's Bench of Alberta, Court of Queen's Bench of Manitoba, and the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.[12]

Allen v Alberta
Allen v Alberta was a legal challenge to the Government of Alberta's monopoly on health insurance within the province (as it applies to seeking out-of-province treatment) by Darcy Allen, who had elected to pay $77,000 to undergo surgery for his chronic back pain in Montana rather than wait for treatment in Alberta.[13] The case closely mirrored the 2005 case of Chaoulli v Quebec (AG) where the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that a government monopoly on health insurance, when combined with extremely long wait lists before care could be provided, was a violation of the individual's right to life, liberty, and security of the person, all of which are guaranteed under section 7 of the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.

The Court of Queen's Bench ruled against Allen on 31 March 2014.[13][14]

Wilson v University of Calgary
A campus pro-life club caused controversy at the University of Calgary when they erected a graphic display as part of a "Genocide Awareness Project," which compared and equated the results of an abortion with historical atrocities such as the Holocaust and the Rwandan genocide. This case was the ninth time in which the group had put on the display. University security staff requested that the students turn the graphic portions of their display inward, away from passers-by. When the eight students running the display refused to comply, the university initiated non-academic misconduct proceedings against them. The school's Vice-Provost ruled that the actions constituted misconduct and penalized the students with a formal written warning.[15]

This penalty was appealed to the University of Calgary's Board of Governors, which refused to hear the appeal and upheld the penalty. The students then requested that the Court of Queen's Bench order the Board of Governors to allow an appeal.[16] The court ruled in April 2014 that the Board of Governors' decision not to hear the appeal of the students "[lacked] justification, transparency and intelligibility" and ordered the board to hear the students' appeal.[17]

fighting the good fight for sexist license plate names, two-tiered healthcare, and comparisons of abortion to actual genocides (plural!) :thumbsup:

they also interceded for the anti-LGBT side in the Trinity Western law school case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

James Baud posted: