Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

XMNN posted:

I'm so loving frustrated with the government's response to this, it is absolutely blindingly obvious that the situation is developing exactly the same as it has everywhere. what on earth is the point of doing this "wait and see" horseshit when we've already seen

like I'm not a public health professional but I just can't think of any rational reason to delay the drastic poo poo, even considering the fact that the number must go up
11-dimensional chess answer: they know when it gets out of control they'll be able to lock the country down and impose martial law without complaint and they're loving wet at the thought of getting the army on the street

But in reality it's just because they've been able to overcome every obstacle so far by raging at the press to ignore it or make everything go back to normal. They have literally never had to actually deal with a real issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Also scrapped the requirement to hold 1% of assets as a buffer. This can only end brilliantly.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Carrie is out there saying this is all bollocks and this guy is getting horny about it

https://twitter.com/uk_rants/status/1237654480801468422?s=21

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Who else just got a text? Not sure if my local surgery or the government

quote:

For the latest Covid-19 advice please visit https://www.nhs.uk. If you think you may have Covid-19, have travelled to an affected area - please do not go to a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Use the NHS 111 online service at https://111.nhs.uk/covid-19 to find out what to do next

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Who else just got a text? Not sure if my local surgery or the government

I got something similar on the 27th, but I'm in Scotland, so that could be either NHS Scotland's decision or my local GP, or the actual Scottish government.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
Probably your local surgery. Got this on Monday

quote:

To stop Coronavirus spreading we have been advised that patients DO NOT attend the Doctors Surgery without a prior booked appointment. This is due to the need for us to triage patients before booking an appointment, to ensure that nobody with Coronavirus symptoms attends the Surgery. We have temporarily disabled the appointments available to book online for this reason. As ASK NHS is a triage service this will stay open. If you need to request a prescription, please do this via the prescription email or through the patient access APP, for anything else please call our Reception team. We thank you for your understanding in this difficult time

DON'T PANIC

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I got one on Monday, and they've changed their hold message to say "if you've been to Wuhan" etc

there were also big posters/exhibition stands outside the practice telling people who think they have it to go away

there wasn't really anything like that (as far as I noticed) at a+e, just standard posters, but there were Corona pods/portacabins outside the main entrance of the hospital (plus it's arrowe park where they quarantined a bunch of people, but that was apparently in the accommodation blocks out the back)

e: it's not a great time to be unrelatedley unwell, really

at least I'm not at work!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Lol someone in the business park I work in at one of the places I applied for a job at has tested positive and they've shut the whole building

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I don't know why the authorities are keeping up with this "Only if you've been to Wuhan or Italy or Iran" bullshit, seriously. Do they think the virus can only transmit from one person to another in certain territories, and when someone flies to the UK the virus is like "welp, guess i'm stuck in this one person now"

I know there's a lot of flu about and people are easily mistaking it for Covid, but it's patently obvious it's spreading here and we should just be testing loving everyone

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Just had an update from management on the clinic I work in, Leeds NHS is able to test 50 people per day at the moment. He looked really proud when he said that.

How many have South Korea been testing daily?

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
I know someone posted the UK covid dashboard earlier, but just in case:

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/f94c3c90da5b4e9f9a0b19484dd4bb14

Also, this is pretty interesting, regarding Italy's higher death rate -

https://nextstrain.org/ncov?c=gt-S_614

There's a mutation on the spike protein that seems to be basically just expressed in the italian cases. Seeing as that's the important one for infectivity, wonder if this is making it easier to gain entry to cells?
(I mean, I know that there's also a more elderly population in Italy that's more likely. But it sure is interesting!)

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

mrpwase posted:

Just had an update from management on the clinic I work in, Leeds NHS is able to test 50 people per day at the moment. He looked really proud when he said that.

How many have South Korea been testing daily?

Oh only 10,000

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

I don't know why the authorities are keeping up with this "Only if you've been to Wuhan or Italy or Iran" bullshit, seriously. Do they think the virus can only transmit from one person to another in certain territories, and when someone flies to the UK the virus is like "welp, guess i'm stuck in this one person now"

I know there's a lot of flu about and people are easily mistaking it for Covid, but it's patently obvious it's spreading here and we should just be testing loving everyone

Because the testing capacity is limited and therefore needs to be limited to the higher-risk groups. (As of yesterday the testing criteria expanded significantly to "anyone admitted to hospital" with respiratory illness).

Bear in mind that, even testing only the 'high risk' groups, out of 26,261 tests in the UK, 387 have been positive.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
That is true, and those test results are quite promising. I hope we're working flat out to expand testing capacity though.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Ward staff are being released to be trained up on testing, and clinical staff are being moved to replace those ward staff, apparently. I hope it'll be enough. It's good to hear about the low rate in the higher risk group, at least.

Also :lmao: at the new title

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Quite a lot of people I work with have had to self isolate because one of their managers came back from Italy recently and thought nothing of it. There's also a bunch of flags all over the canteen, might start defacing them with big red crosses to show when the countries are riddled.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

project fear

stop talking britain down

clean your hands for the queen

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Olpainless posted:

Also, this is pretty interesting, regarding Italy's higher death rate -

https://nextstrain.org/ncov?c=gt-S_614

There's a mutation on the spike protein that seems to be basically just expressed in the italian cases. Seeing as that's the important one for infectivity, wonder if this is making it easier to gain entry to cells?
(I mean, I know that there's also a more elderly population in Italy that's more likely. But it sure is interesting!)

Any advice on how to interpret that website? It's hard (for me) to tell what's going on. Yellow bit = a mutation for a virulence factor?

Someone in my office has just been diagnosed with coronavirus. I am going to work from somewhere in the mountains until further notice. Though that will be about 20km from Italy so... Yeah.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Going by the WHO chart I've had CV symptoms for at least a week. I have also been in work all that week.

Serves them right for having a passive-aggressive sickness policy and leaving it to us to decide if we should stay home or not

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

knox_harrington posted:

Any advice on how to interpret that website? It's hard (for me) to tell what's going on. Yellow bit = a mutation for a virulence factor?

Someone in my office has just been diagnosed with coronavirus. I am going to work from somewhere in the mountains until further notice. Though that will be about 20km from Italy so... Yeah.

Yellow is showing all the branches that have that novel mutation, then highlights them on the chart as such; almost all the Italian cases have that mutation in Spike (And also one in Orf1b, which afaik encodes the RNA polymerase and other viral genome replicating proteins)

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
This makes for pretty grim reading in light of our government's refusal to do *anything*.

e: "Countries that are prepared will see a fatality rate of ~0.5% (South Korea) to 0.9% (rest of China). Countries that are overwhelmed will have a fatality rate between ~3%-5%". I wonder which category the UK falls into....

Lungboy fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Mar 11, 2020

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Olpainless posted:

Yellow is showing all the branches that have that novel mutation, then highlights them on the chart as such; almost all the Italian cases have that mutation in Spike (And also one in Orf1b, which afaik encodes the RNA polymerase and other viral genome replicating proteins)

So Italy have taken something originally Chinese, amended it slightly and now claiming it as their own?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hmmyes:

Zephirus
May 18, 2004

BRRRR......CHK
A note on the UK numbers, talking with someone who is a doctor at one of the hospitals where there was a Covid-19 death, they are not testing everyone who comes in with symptoms, only people serious enough to have to go into individual rooms.

Obviously this is only confirmed from one place but there is likely a fair bit of under-reporting going on, especially for mild (ie non life threatening cases) even in hospitals.

This may change with the government edict on testing but was still the case yesterday.

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Angepain posted:

Beyond all reason I still want to hold on to some kind of hope that those born after 1975 or so will not mellow out as they age

If they did, it would be because they found roles in society that provided them with prosperity and fulfilment.

And if you think that is likely, then you have a basically optimistic assessment of the state of the world.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Has iPlayer still poo poo itself? I’m not looking forward to a future where this website is somehow more reliable at staying online than the whole bbc corporation

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Total Meatlove posted:

So Italy have taken something originally Chinese, amended it slightly and now claiming it as their own?

Ironically the specific mutation I think Olpainless is talking about was ID'd in China before immediately jumping to Italy.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Angrymog posted:

Going by the WHO chart I've had CV symptoms for at least a week. I have also been in work all that week.

Serves them right for having a passive-aggressive sickness policy and leaving it to us to decide if we should stay home or not

I was sick all weekend with flu-like symptoms, and my manager talked poo poo to me when I came back for being off for more than one day. I know capitalism produces its own gravediggers, but this is ridiculous

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/yvescloudedcat/status/1237389224875196418?s=19
https://twitter.com/yvescloudedcat/status/1237389254457569280?s=19
The government here would give you a Boots sandwich (not even the full meal deal), if they weren't happy to treat starvation as character building.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Mar 11, 2020

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Apparently italy is going to go into total lockdown for 2 weeks.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

radmonger posted:

If they did, it would be because they found roles in society that provided them with prosperity and fulfilment.

And if you think that is likely, then you have a basically optimistic assessment of the state of the world.

Yeah, people don't get more right-wing as they get older, they get more right-wing as they get richer. And past being born around 1980 or so, they don't really correlate any more.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
If we get free food it will make us all lazy and stifle our entrepreneurialism.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

Marmaduke! posted:

Quite a lot of people I work with have had to self isolate because one of their managers came back from Italy recently and thought nothing of it. There's also a bunch of flags all over the canteen, might start defacing them with big red crosses to show when the countries are riddled.

Oh hey, same! "I looked at the government advice website and they said I was fine, and only to self isolate if I have symptoms." So, two weeks from now after you've infected everyone.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jippa posted:

Apparently italy is going to go into total lockdown for 2 weeks.

Until the 3rd of April, no? That's 3 weeks away.

It's almost 4 weeks given they started on Monday.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/samcoatessky/status/1237701021813612544?s=21

This seems promising.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Pretty sure our ops director has it. Dialled into a meeting today with a cough and sore throat. Was in London the other week at some corporate awards so probably picked it up then.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

ah would these be the brain trust who think we'll hit the peak in just under 2 weeks? i mean that may be true for the cabinet...

and re: pandemic bond there was talk a long time ago that the trigger isn't WHO, but confirmed # of deaths outside of the initial continent

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Hope they nudge these cunts off a cliff

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back
Currently, the default is an opt-out checkbox: "[ ] I do not wish to get COVID-19".

This has been changed to an opt-in checkbox: "[ ] I wish to get COVID-19"

This will produce a 70-80% reduction in infection rates

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Surely this is the time that an arms reach company given responsibility well outside of democratic accountability and observation will face the consequences of their mistakes!

*Nothing happens to them*

Ah, nevertheless...