Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Sininu posted:

I want to know why all the videos on that channel have such a low quality and square aspect ratio.

For sharing on Facebook or some other weird platform that commissioned videos.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Mamkute posted:

Assassin's Creed Revelations: There is a mission where Ezio pretends to be a musician and sing songs about his past adventures.

I love that mission so much. You start off by punching bards, and then it gets better!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fire Emblem: Three Houses, every character has their own color scheme they wear with every outfit, more visible with some classes than others.

Heading into the final pre-timeskip mission, for kicks I have a crop of five Swordmasters who together form a goddamn power rangers team: blue (Dimitri), green (Felix), orange (Leonie), black (Sylvain), and red (Manuela).

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've just done the penultimate level in Medievil, the Time Device. I liked how bizarre it was and hope the sequel gets equally weird as gently caress once I beat this game.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

bony tony posted:

There needs to be a Simon Stålenhag game.

(I know there's going to be a tabletop thing, but I want a bideo jame)

There's two of them! Tales from the Loop is your 'kids on bikes investigating weird 80s tech and robots' stuff. Then the sequel game, Things From The Flood, is about playing teenagers and is darker in tone (the kids can't die in TftL, for example).
They're both full of the art, though gameplay-wise I've heard better things about the former than the latter.

Cythereal posted:

Fire Emblem: Three Houses, every character has their own color scheme they wear with every outfit, more visible with some classes than others.

Heading into the final pre-timeskip mission, for kicks I have a crop of five Swordmasters who together form a goddamn power rangers team: blue (Dimitri), green (Felix), orange (Leonie), black (Sylvain), and red (Manuela).

While the Blue Lions and Black Eagle outfits are mostly variations on their team uniform/colours, Golden Deer instead decides post-timeskip to go maximum power rangers and they all split into different colours.
Linking as a spoiler to a lovely crop but it's pretty funny the first time you see them gathered.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECqsnYhWkAEZuz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
The first boss in Medievil 2 was way cooler than any in 1, at least how you fought him. Better than just spamming attack til it died. I also love the dismemberment mechanic, that's fun.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 10:16 on Mar 10, 2020

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Playing Dragon Quest Builders 2 and I really appreciate the help from NPCs. Having someone help with the basic combat is a huge help, and having them automatically attack and gather whatever resources you’re getting (if I break down a tree for wood my buddy will find a nearby tree and do the same) is like a resource doubler. Plus the townsfolk automatically making food and tending to fields, as well as building off of blueprints, is great. I just finished the first island and already like it quite a bit more than the first game.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I just started playing Monster Hunter World yesterday, and I'm genuinely impressed by how good it is at teaching you its weapons.

It doesn't even do that much, really; there's a training room with a few targets to wail on, a two line description of the weapon itself, and some on-screen button guides and example combos. It's actually less than 4U had, which is the last Monster Hunter game I played, which had you fight a sample boss and gave you a couple paragraphs of a guide.

And yet it's so much better at giving you a feel for the actual moveset and how you're actually meant to play it. I've ended up loving the Insect Glaive, which is a weapon I'd usually never touch, just because the weapon introduction did so well at showing how it can play.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

bewilderment posted:

While the Blue Lions and Black Eagle outfits are mostly variations on their team uniform/colours, Golden Deer instead decides post-timeskip to go maximum power rangers and they all split into different colours.
Linking as a spoiler to a lovely crop but it's pretty funny the first time you see them gathered.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/ECqsnYhWkAEZuz7?format=jpg&name=900x900

It fits the Deer, too, being a disparate collection of weirdos united only by being against everyone else.

The Lions, on the other hand, not only almost all wear blue or teal, they visibly are all dressed for the cold climate of their home - every single one of them wears heavy clothing, typically a long coat or fur cloak.

And the Eagles, being from the wealthiest and snottiest part of the world, all dress more fancifully and less practically than their peers.

FETH is really good about the visual details and themes in that respect, enough so that I suspect some characters were kind of meant to be poached to other houses when their post-timeskip outfits adhere closely to another faction. Sylvain post timeskip wears red and black - Imperial colors, and he's a natural fit for Edelgard's crusade. Marianne, in turn, wears the colors of Faerghus and a similar style of heavy robe, fitting for someone whose family closely supports the Kingdom (and, in my opinion, has the most touching support line in the game - with Dimitri, which leads to her becoming Faerghus' queen).

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Cleretic posted:

I just started playing Monster Hunter World yesterday, and I'm genuinely impressed by how good it is at teaching you its weapons.

It doesn't even do that much, really; there's a training room with a few targets to wail on, a two line description of the weapon itself, and some on-screen button guides and example combos. It's actually less than 4U had, which is the last Monster Hunter game I played, which had you fight a sample boss and gave you a couple paragraphs of a guide.

And yet it's so much better at giving you a feel for the actual moveset and how you're actually meant to play it. I've ended up loving the Insect Glaive, which is a weapon I'd usually never touch, just because the weapon introduction did so well at showing how it can play.

Same for me, though I went with the Hammer. I almost never go with the slow weapons in action games, but getting the chance to go to the next room, pick any weapon and give it a go for a few minutes and decide if I like the way it feels is such a great thing.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Nothing I've done in a game has ever felt as viscerally satisfying as a full gunlance combo

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Getting the "Amazing, mission complete. See that right there is why you're the best boss, the one and only" VO in MGS V makes my brain give me all the good chemicals.

Also the enemies sometimes assuming Quiet is a bloke is a nice touch, too. And DDog's stun animation is pretty good, as well.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

E: qine.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

tight aspirations posted:

Getting the "Amazing, mission complete. See that right there is why you're the best boss, the one and only" VO in MGS V makes my brain give me all the good chemicals.

https://youtu.be/V6O-vBVCbg0

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

tight aspirations posted:

DDog's stun animation is pretty good, as well.

My favorite thing is to just deck a bunch of enemies, then send him over to boop them all into wormholes. DD is so good, there's probably some interesting psychological insight into why I keep giving him pats on the head months after our relationship level has been maxed out.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Thanks Bioenchanted for your posts,I’m playing Medievil for the first time since i was a kid,great game.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Medievil 2 doesn't get as much attention, which is a shame because Mechanically it feels more rich, even though I don't find the comedy as natural. Dan's new voice is too goofy.

My god, speaking on Medievil 2, I just started playing a real copy, and there is a great touch in the first level.

In the museum level, the boss is seen breaking through holes in the walls, and in last one you can see and get to the start of level 4, Kensington Tomb (as level 3 ends with returning to the museum through a different entrance). I never noticed there was something back there before, let alone something that neat.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 21:07 on Mar 11, 2020

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Something I appreciate about Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Very few of the missions give out an extra reward for doing them undetected, so my brokebrain doesn't make me want to just reload when I'm spotted (like in DX:HR).

Also I like that, unlike various other games with stealth, enemies don't have a long period where they've given on actively searching but are still on high alert. It feels like I can get quickly back into business after being spotted and hiding, instead of waiting ages for guards to settle down.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Qwertycoatl posted:

Something I appreciate about Assassin's Creed Syndicate: Very few of the missions give out an extra reward for doing them undetected, so my brokebrain doesn't make me want to just reload when I'm spotted (like in DX:HR).

Also I like that, unlike various other games with stealth, enemies don't have a long period where they've given on actively searching but are still on high alert. It feels like I can get quickly back into business after being spotted and hiding, instead of waiting ages for guards to settle down.

The Jacob missions are also all written as if you did it very visibly and sloppily, as Evie has to clean everything up at the beginning of the next chapter.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Titanfall 2: When you punch a goon, they 'ragdoll' and go flying.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Mamkute posted:

Titanfall 2: When you punch a goon, they 'ragdoll' and go flying.

Also true irl

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Not quite

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Something fun with Medievil 2 that I missed out on on the emulator, is that it has strong lighting, so the Tomb, which was fine to navigate without a torch on emulator, on the actual ps1 is dark as gently caress, forcing you to have the flaming torch equipped. However, you wouldn't have thought to get it out as a weapon if the game hadn't made you, so it's also teaching you that the flaming torch makes short work of the relatively tough anubis monsters, setting them alight and rendering them panicky idiots.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Aphrodite posted:

The Jacob missions are also all written as if you did it very visibly and sloppily, as Evie has to clean everything up at the beginning of the next chapter.

As it happens I play that way. If it's not immediately obvious how to get past undetected, with Evie I look round and think harder, with Jacob I go "gently caress it" and wade in.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Qwertycoatl posted:

As it happens I play that way. If it's not immediately obvious how to get past undetected, with Evie I look round and think harder, with Jacob I go "gently caress it" and wade in.

If I'm remembering right, the game even encourages you to play like this, with Jacob getting better combat skills and Evie being better at stealth.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Vandar posted:

If I'm remembering right, the game even encourages you to play like this, with Jacob getting better combat skills and Evie being better at stealth.

Evie's better at both.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Aphrodite posted:

The Jacob missions are also all written as if you did it very visibly and sloppily, as Evie has to vent her frustrations by horrifically crippling boxers in underground arenas.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I always appreciate when games do unusual settings. Like Medievil's setting is fairly fun but a little basic, it's a medieval village, they're everywhere, but I like Medievil 2's setting more because not a lot of games do the 1800s london occult scene. All I can think of that do it are Nightmare Creatures, Bloodborne, and Medievil 2, Maybe the Jeckyll and Hyde nes game at a stretch and I think one Assassin's Creed game may play with it too. It's otherwise underutilised. I like that Medievil 2 references a bunch of things from the time period too, like the Dan Hand power may be a lovecraft thing like Herbert West, the villain is the same kind of guy as Alistair Crowley, and you also have Frankenstein in building the body and the classic Freak Show level.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I always appreciate when games do unusual settings. Like Medievil's setting is fairly fun but a little basic, it's a medieval village, they're everywhere, but I like Medievil 2's setting more because not a lot of games do the 1800s london occult scene. All I can think of that do it are Nightmare Creatures, Bloodborne, and Medievil 2, Maybe the Jeckyll and Hyde nes game at a stretch and I think one Assassin's Creed game may play with it too. It's otherwise underutilised. I like that Medievil 2 references a bunch of things from the time period too, like the Dan Hand power may be a lovecraft thing like Herbert West, the villain is the same kind of guy as Alistair Crowley, and you also have Frankenstein in building the body and the classic Freak Show level.

Nightmare Creatures is set during that theme as well. I remember enjoying it but it came out when I was 8 and my taste was slightly worse than it is now

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I know, I listed Nightmare Creatures in the post.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

I think the incredible adventures of van helsing touches on it, which from the name and the general AA look I am surprised you haven't played

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Thanks for the recommendation, I hadn't heard of that one before.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

BioEnchanted posted:

I know, I listed Nightmare Creatures in the post.

READING IS HARD :downs:

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Jacob missions are also all written as if you did it very visibly and sloppily, as Evie has to vent her frustrations by horrifically crippling boxers in underground arenas.

snappin' those bones

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Necrothatcher posted:

snappin' those bones

What in the criminy is happening in this picture?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Vic posted:

What in the criminy is happening in this picture?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tz5fXas5AYE

It's better if you see for yourself.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

I forgot how janky that eye gouge animation was. It looks like she's ripping the chest hair off of the big guys.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The other thing to keep in mind is that this isn't just a case of using the combat animations for enemy soldiers and stuff on fight club guys. You don't really fistfight in the game, they made them for this.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
"Just going to pop down to the fight club, earn some bruises and a bloodied face but have a good time beating up and getting beat up, earn some quid!"

*gets three limbs broken in half by some newcomer*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

She straight up breaks that guy's neck at 1:38 lol