Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Madagascar hasn't shut its borders yet, it's probably fine.

Three people out of hundreds have cold symptoms after travelling from Europe in March.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

Madagascar hasn't shut its borders yet, it's probably fine.
LOL!!! Is that a Plague Inc joke!?!?

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Rebus posted:

It's still UK based. The money is 30% better.

I know money isn't everything but 30% is a bit of a no-brainer....

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Khablam posted:

LOL!!! Is that a Plague Inc joke!?!?

In 2020, one for the old schoolers :coal:

But seriously symptomatic people self isolating is nothing to panic about. Cancelling an outdoor event is just security theatre. Wash your hands.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
who the gently caress is scraeming "WASH YOUR HANDS" at my house. show yourself, coward. i will never wash my hands

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tsaedje posted:

But seriously symptomatic people self isolating is nothing to panic about. Cancelling an outdoor event is just security theatre. Wash your hands.

the problem is that they’re not self isolating and apparently covid19 gives you terminal brain worms and makes you want to travel even more

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I had a cold earlier this week, and watching people run for cover when I sneezed made it all worthwhile.
I recommend trying this whether ill or not.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

Tsaedje posted:

Can't wait for the crew at spa francorchamps shouting WASH YOUR HANDS! through megaphones at the army of hyper drunk English and Dutch tourists peeing in the forest.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I love that the take away from this whole loving virus thing is that society can’t even establish basic hygiene standards. Just lmao

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
tbh washing your hands probably doesn't do anything in a grandstand full of people breathing on the head of the person in front of them

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's a shame people breathe through the top of their heads like a whale, if we had mouths and noses on the front there'd be minimal danger from the top of heads being breathed on.

People sneezing into their hands and touching surfaces without washing them is a far bigger problem unless someone is coughing directly into your mouth or licks your eyeball or something.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tsaedje posted:

It's a shame people breathe through the top of their heads like a whale, if we had mouths and noses on the front there'd be minimal danger from the top of heads being breathed on.

People sneezing into their hands and touching surfaces without washing them is a far bigger problem unless someone is coughing directly into your mouth or licks your eyeball or something.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/about/transmission.html

Nope, breathing in the respiratory droplets of a carrier who has just sneezed is the primary method of transmission.

If somebody who is infected sneezes within 6 feet of you, congratulations, you have it too now.

Washing your hands can't hurt, they mention lower down that touching contaminated objects may spread the disease, but really you should have been washing your hands all along anyway.

Basically, according to the CDC, we're all hosed.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

jazzyhattrick posted:

Basically, according to the CDC, we're all hosed.

We aren’t all “hosed” the mortality rate of this thing is almost identical to every other strain of influenza, the hysteria surrounding this whole thing is completely unwarranted.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

the kentucky quid posted:

We aren’t all “hosed” the mortality rate of this thing is almost identical to every other strain of influenza, the hysteria surrounding this whole thing is completely unwarranted.

we should still cancel formula 1 tho, just because it sucks rear end

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Off by a magnitude of 10. Unless they revised it from 2% mortality to 0.2%.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

track day bro! posted:

I completely agree with this

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

iospace posted:

And Italy is around 5-6%.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

iospace posted:

The reported mortality rate is much higher than the actual mortality rate because it's based solely on reported cases. We're not going to know the actual mortality rate for a long time, probably. However it is still not correct to compare it to the flu because the flu is extremely predictable - we have vaccines, we have treatments, we know roughly when it's going to arrive every year and are ready for it. Another influenza-like virus on top of the seasonal flu is going to stretch healthcare systems to their limits.

That said - we're definitely not all hosed, it's already slowing in China and people are going back to work there. It's a big deal for sure but a lot of the hysteria is indeed overblown.

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

track day bro! posted:

Lewis will still rise above COVID-19, because he's #Blessed.

Radiohead71
Sep 15, 2007

jazzyhattrick posted:

Lewis will still rise above COVID-19, because he's #Blessed.

I wonder if he will say "Bahrain has the best fans ever" when there is no fans this year?

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's easier to divide reported deaths by reported cases and come up with a scary headline figure than to determine how many asymptomatic or unreported cases there are, especially when most of the numbers are coming out of places where they've been overwhelmed and can only deal with severe cases.

GP friends of mine reckon they may well have been dealing with cases all winter, but without any way to distinguish it from any other virus with similar symptoms. There have been some unusually nasty 'colds' this winter.

It's not nice, but unless you have other complications the danger of attending an F1 race is not high. If you are 80 and have heart or lung problems, you probably shouldn't be breathing in F1 fumes anyway.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

You can also pick out and manage influenza mortality rates from a first world country with herd immunity that looks stupidly low and also inflate the poo poo out of coronavirus because there’s going to be a lag on actual cases versus reported. Literally just talking to a couple of directors doing some pricing work at my company yesterday and there’s no plans to change life or health insurance rates in response to the virus which to me kind of says this is not even remotely close to a big deal despite people losing their loving minds over it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Last week I saw a guy wearing a dust mask only over his mouth with blue nitrile gloves on who took a piss gloves on and walked out of the bathroom

This is the level of stupidity we’re dealing with

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

It's anywhere from 10-50x more deadly and is much more sensitive to pre-existing conditions.
Also, and this is where people should see the logic and worry, the flu does the damage it does despite being a milder disease, despite being less infectious, and despite there **being a goddamn vaccine**

SARS2: SARS-harder is worse than the flu by literally every metric, sometimes by a factor of 10, and there is no vaccine.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

It's anywhere from 10-50x more deadly and is much more sensitive to pre-existing conditions.
Also, and this is where people should see the logic and worry, the flu does the damage it does despite being a milder disease, despite being less infectious, and despite there **being a goddamn vaccine**

SARS2: SARS-harder is worse than the flu by literally every metric, sometimes by a factor of 10, and there is no vaccine.

You don't have to be Khablam about everything, we've already explained why these metrics are flawed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

It’s pretty dumb to be all Simpsons comic guy about it and “accckkthually it’s the same as the flu bc I’m making a lot of assumptions”

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

This isn’t even remotely approaching the seriousness or mortality of SARS lmao

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

It’s pretty dumb to be all Simpsons comic guy about it and “accckkthually it’s the same as the flu bc I’m making a lot of assumptions”

Accckkthually I'm saying it's the same as the flu because one of my best friends is an epidemiologist and said "yeah it looks about as severe as the flu."

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

This isn’t even remotely approaching the seriousness or mortality of SARS lmao

Nobody is saying that, you said it’s basically the same as the flu

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

your friend wicka posted:

You don't have to be Khablam about everything, we've already explained why these metrics are flawed.
The reported mortality rate is also dependent on people running to get tested at an early stage. It's also being kept low by stays in ICU.
If it's not reasonably contained and the ~20% of patients that need to be in an ICU, are spilling over into general wards or hallways, then you have a very serious problem on your hands.

It's not a big problem when only a few people get it. It's a massive problem once you overwhelm the medical system.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I’m saying I talked to several actuaries who have lost their poo poo over disability incident rates and raised our rates 4 times in the past year and they said they’ve got no plans for revisions to life or health rates or underwriting guidelines. That to me a layman, sounds like it’s not a big deal 🤷🏼‍♂️

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Khablam posted:

The reported mortality rate is also dependent on people running to get tested at an early stage. It's also being kept low by stays in ICU.
If it's not reasonably contained and the ~20% of patients that need to be in an ICU, are spilling over into general wards or hallways, then you have a very serious problem on your hands.

It's not a big problem when only a few people get it. It's a massive problem once you overwhelm the medical system.

OK Khablam

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
If you aren't elderly and you don't have pre-existing conditions you are overwhelmingly likely not to die from covid19 if you happen to become infected.

It's serious and unpleasant, but it's not a world ending plague

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m saying I talked to several actuaries who have lost their poo poo over disability incident rates and raised our rates 4 times in the past year and they said they’ve got no plans for revisions to life or health rates or underwriting guidelines. That to me a layman, sounds like it’s not a big deal 🤷🏼‍♂️

Ah yes the actuaries, fingers on the pulse of emerging viruses

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Tsaedje posted:

If you aren't elderly and you don't have pre-existing conditions you are overwhelmingly likely not to die from covid19 if you happen to become infected.
Obesity is a condition the CDC are recognising as a pre-existing condition that highly increases it's mortality rate.
45% of Americans are obese.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Covid19 isn’t changing my life in any appreciable way beyond work implementing some policy changes but it’s weird to be deadset on hand waving away the potential risks

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Khablam posted:

Obesity is a condition the CDC are recognising as a pre-existing condition that highly increases it's mortality rate.
45% of Americans are obese.

What’s the problem here?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
lets all kill ourselfs first just in case

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Covid19 isn’t changing my life in any appreciable way beyond work implementing some policy changes but it’s weird to be deadset on hand waving away the potential risks

We’ve ran ourselves into a global recession because of stupid needless hysteria. Somebody has to be the adult in the room and tell people to stop crying, this isn’t a big deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

We’ve ran ourselves into a global recession because of stupid needless hysteria. Somebody has to be the adult in the room and tell people to stop crying, this isn’t a big deal.

Good thing you’re here to stop the ebbs and flows of the entire global economy then