Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Internet Wizard posted:

The “petulant hissy fit” of... hating an incoherent centrist who won’t commit to improving anything

I just don’t understand why nobody under 40 is voting guys

I mean Biden wasn't my first, second or even third choice but the "He's not going to improve anything!" line of attack when he's running against Trump is just so stone loving stupid at this point. ANY of the Dem candidates would me a marked improvement over Trump. I mean, compare Biden's platform to Obama's in '08 or even Clinton's and it's remarkably more progressive than either of those platforms. If I'm thankful for anything, it's Sanders dragging the party leftwards even if people keep saying he didn't. He sure as gently caress did. It's still got a ways to go but I think with people like AOC in the wings, it'll continue in that direction.

And yeah, if you're a white dude under 40 who's loudly proclaiming you're gonna sit out in November because the electorate didn't turn out for your guy, you are indeed throwing a hissy fit and you're a certified piece of poo poo to boot if you follow through with that.

Also, great news
https://twitter.com/THR/status/1237756107474571267

EDIT: Terrible snipe, have a picture of Olive to make up for the rapists picture.

Handsome Ralph fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
By the way, speaking of posting something regretful:

https://twitter.com/samstein/status/1237751016952598529?s=19

If you're a die-hard anti-biden person, now's your chance to be part of an article!

(rip his mentions/DMs)

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

What are you even trying to say here? We just had a bunch of primaries where the under 40s could've come out in droves to vote for an honest goddamned progressive... and it mostly didn't happen.

In fairness, some of this is accessibility. If you can't take time off work, you can't, and that's the end of it. Same, re: not being able to find a ride to your way-the-gently caress-far-away polling places, which was/is a huge obstacle atm.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

His lawyer said he would die in prison if he got more than 5.

I’m not suggesting this is a downside.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Stop having elections on a goddamn Tuesday.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Just give everyone mail-in ballots. poo poo works great in Colorado.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Woofer posted:

Pretty much this.

Woofer posted:

And this.

I hope he suffers.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

EDIT: Terrible snipe, have a picture of Olive to make up for the rapists picture.

Olive looks like a sweat pea

Edit: these folks are having a meltdown in the office and in the slack, I'm not there but I'm getting emails. They aren't my direct reports so I'm trying to keep out of it

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Mar 11, 2020

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

Old Boot posted:

In fairness, some of this is accessibility. If you can't take time off work, you can't, and that's the end of it. Same, re: not being able to find a ride to your way-the-gently caress-far-away polling places, which was/is a huge obstacle atm.

I completely agree with this take but it's not as if any of the states yesterday didn't have early or mail in voting as options. Can't completely pin the lower youth turnout on being unable to vote on a Tuesday.

bird cooch posted:

Olive looks like a sweat pea

She most certainly is :3:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Old Boot posted:

Plus the people who got absentee ballots after the deadline.

Plus fatigue from suppression efforts on their entire generation.

It adds up. They aren’t insurmountable obstacles objectively speaking but for many people they clearly were

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
^^^^ this, also.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I completely agree with this take but it's not as if any of the states yesterday didn't have early or mail in voting as options. Can't completely pin the lower youth turnout on being unable to vote on a Tuesday.

I think I have a touch more sympathy because I have missed two local elections in recent memory due to just being an ADHD poster child and forgetting what day it was.

Mostly, I'm thinking of the 18-21 bracket that may not actually know that mail-ins are even an option. Otherwise, yeah, I agree that it can't be pinned entirely on 'it's Tuesday.'

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

bird cooch posted:

So how long is like a reasonable amount of time for people to do this petulant hissy fit thing? I've got a couple of IRL dudes that are really turned out over this primary. Like gonna lose their jobs if they don't get it together. I'm trying to be understanding and giving people time to mourn for the candidate but we are grown ups.

I dunno man, get em together and blow off some steam with some cathartic vandalism. But man, getthefuckouttahere with the whole grownups bullshit. Ain't no one a grown up.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

A friend of mine that I went to school with is from China. He won’t home in January and hasn’t been able to come back. He’s sending me messages asking me to update him...

....on China.

Not sure who has the worse government for this since China seems to be getting it under control (I think? Last I read) but aren’t telling their citizens anything, or our dipshit government who can’t seem to do ANYTHING right.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Woofer posted:

A friend of mine that I went to school with is from China. He won’t home in January and hasn’t been able to come back. He’s sending me messages asking me to update him...

....on China.

Not sure who has the worse government for this since China seems to be getting it under control (I think? Last I read) but aren’t telling their citizens anything, or our dipshit government who can’t seem to do ANYTHING right.

We're going to aggressively reintroduce it to countries that have already busted rear end to contain it, and are already importing cases left and right because of our sheer incompetence, so I'm pretty sure I know what everyone else will think, but that's been true for a while now.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Woofer posted:

The headline I saw when I was laying in bed this morning had his lawyer arguing that his "accomplishments" need to be taken into account. His "accomplishments" mainly consist of chopping up other people's movies.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Handsome Ralph posted:

I mean Biden wasn't my first, second or even third choice but the "He's not going to improve anything!" line of attack when he's running against Trump is just so stone loving stupid at this point. ANY of the Dem candidates would me a marked improvement over Trump. I mean, compare Biden's platform to Obama's in '08 or even Clinton's and it's remarkably more progressive than either of those platforms. If I'm thankful for anything, it's Sanders dragging the party leftwards even if people keep saying he didn't. He sure as gently caress did. It's still got a ways to go but I think with people like AOC in the wings, it'll continue in that direction.

And yeah, if you're a white dude under 40 who's loudly proclaiming you're gonna sit out in November because the electorate didn't turn out for your guy, you are indeed throwing a hissy fit and you're a certified piece of poo poo to boot if you follow through with that.

Pretty much... with a two party system, a non-vote for Biden is a vote for Stephen Miller. I'm pretty sure one of those is a little further right than the other.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Old Boot posted:

Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying anything against people who wanted to vote but couldn't for whatever reason because that happened to me once (my name was entered wrong in the voter registry and I didn't find out until afterwards).

Woofer posted:

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Just give everyone mail-in ballots. poo poo works great in Colorado.

Yes to both of these.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Woofer posted:

....on China.

https://twitter.com/BethanyAllenEbr/status/1237761462979964928?s=19

China more or less shut up completely while they locked down Wuhan and mostly had the coronavirus burn out due to the quarantine lockdown. Now that the lockdown is over, it's back to business as usual, so the government propaganda machine is now back to operating capacity too. And like Old Boot said, now China is concerned about the coronavirus importing itself back in, so the propaganda of "all these other countries are poo poo at this, we did it right" is the country line.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Prudential Building in downtown Chicago had either a full or partial evacuation due to someone testing positive for Corona.

I feel like we are mere days away before my company announces full wfh

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Our policy generally follows OPM since we are essentially government contractors.

OPM sucks at this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

ive been hearing people say their managers have a deadline of making sure everyone who can wfm is by 3/12 at my work (insurance industry). we have armies of actuaries so hearing a hard date set like that was somewhat forboding

i've worked from home now for 8 years and havent seen my boss face to face since obama was president. im more and more glad for that now.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

I'm expecting full WFH as soon as someone who isn't 85 years old dies of it in this province.

We have a pretty relaxed WFH policy anyways but nothing has been said about it for coronavirus reasons other than "we have the capacity to handle it, stay tuned lol".

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Agency already conducted nation-wide VPN testing and other IT networking stuff to ensure they can support thousands of people working remotely. I heard that someone in the NYC office was tested as they’re family member popped for corona. No word on that.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/abbydphillip/status/1237769351740174336

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!

My company sent out a survey on Monday asking if people could WFH and how feasible it would be. Super ironic considering a year ago, a majority of us WFH 2-3 days a week and we had multiple FTE working from home without issue before some VP got the galaxy brain idea to end working from home except for one day a week. I'm not bitter about any of this, why do you ask?

I figured we'd be told by the end of the week to just WFH till April, but now it sounds like HR is dragging their feet on it. They're now saying people can come to them on a case by case basis and ask to WFH if they are immunocomrpomised or have anxiety. :jerkbag:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Our company culture has some very anti-WFM nuance. We're all set up for remote work, most people could accomplish most of their poo poo from home, and it would probably improve morale. But people will also act like you're scamming if you do it. My boss does it often enough, but I'm not allowed to.

Hopefully he's not conceding just yet. Even if he can't win he should put some pressure on Joe going into the convention.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Mar 11, 2020

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

E: nvm

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Don't look at it as a vote for Biden or Trump. Look at it as voting to say you aren't ok with putting kids in cages.

Although I'm not entirely sure how Joe feels about that whole border situation...

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

bengy81 posted:

Don't look at it as a vote for Biden or Trump. Look at it as voting to say you aren't ok with putting kids in cages.

Although I'm not entirely sure how Joe feels about that whole border situation...

Two things about this: firstly, the general American populace has completely forgotten about it since it isn't on the TV anymore, and second if it does get brought up Donny will just say "yeah, and Sleepy Joe and Obama are the ones who built them".

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

:siren: https://twitter.com/cbcalerts/status/1237777593069383681?s=21 :siren:

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

bengy81 posted:

Lol vote for the guy who started and still defends the practice or the guy who expanded it. What a great choice

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'm not going to say that I will definitely vote for Biden in November. That would be foolish, because it would mean that he wouldn't have to budge an inch to get what he wants. He needs to earn my vote, and he can do that by showing that he's meaningfully different from Trump somehow. He's got 8 months to do it. This situation could be salvaged and Biden could turn out to be a decent candidate, but that sure as hell won't happen if everyone on the left agrees to vote for him no matter what. But there's a chance it might if the Democrats realize that they can't win in November without meeting the left halfway. That's politics baby.

So maybe people could cool it with the "vote blue no matter who" and "you just want Trump to win" bullshit? Stop acting like he deserves all of our votes just because he's on "our" team.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Halfway could be supporting Medicare for All, or at least having it as an option to pay into at Sander’s proposed rates. Also meaningful action on climate change.

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Fister Roboto posted:

I'm not going to say that I will definitely vote for Biden in November. That would be foolish, because it would mean that he wouldn't have to budge an inch to get what he wants. He needs to earn my vote, and he can do that by showing that he's meaningfully different from Trump somehow. He's got 8 months to do it. This situation could be salvaged and Biden could turn out to be a decent candidate, but that sure as hell won't happen if everyone on the left agrees to vote for him no matter what. But there's a chance it might if the Democrats realize that they can't win in November without meeting the left halfway. That's politics baby.

So maybe people could cool it with the "vote blue no matter who" and "you just want Trump to win" bullshit? Stop acting like he deserves all of our votes just because he's on "our" team.

I would vote for a wet paper bag before I’d cast a vote that has a net benefit for trump.

I’m not voting for my team. I’m voting against the other team. Because the other team is so unequivocally bad that it’s irresponsible not to.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Yeah, my hypothetical vote for Biden would be 100% a vote against Trump, nothing more.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Woofer posted:

I would vote for a wet paper bag before I’d cast a vote that has a net benefit for trump.

I’m not voting for my team. I’m voting against the other team. Because the other team is so unequivocally bad that it’s irresponsible not to.

This is the type of post I'm furiously clinging to.

We've come a long way from last year's state in here, and it's scaring the gently caress out of me.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Look, I'm not saying that you shouldn't vote for Biden. I'm saying that you shouldn't say you will definitely vote for Biden (or against Trump) no matter what. Do you understand the difference? It's about bargaining for a better platform. You don't start bargaining by saying "I'll give you whatever you want no matter what".

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Since Harvey is 67, I'm glad he got what's effectively a life sentence.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Flying_Crab posted:

Yeah, my hypothetical vote for Biden would be 100% a vote against Trump, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

Woofer posted:

I want to believe that the judge heard that and thought "maybe, maybe not - what kind of sentence would let me be sure"