Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
They need to add Factorio's "place power poles automatically behind you as you drive your car around" feature; just nobody mention Factorio when suggesting it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

GruntyThrst posted:

While we're asking for stuff- foundation auto-fill if you build a perimeter frame, please.

I'd go for letting you click-and-drag a square field of them, personally. Since foundations form a 2D layer that would be no problem to control on a mouse screen. Would work for walls too.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

Evilreaver posted:

They need to add Factorio's "place power poles automatically behind you as you drive your car around" feature; just nobody mention Factorio when suggesting it

And while they're at it allow us to make t2 power poles the default

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Okay where do I get the patch notes
I hate it when games hide them on their website somewhere.

VVV that's even worse than hiding them on their website somewhere :mad:

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Mar 4, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Evilreaver posted:

Okay where do I get the patch notes
I hate it when games hide them on their website somewhere.

They're posted to Reddit.

Other highlights include a new title screen and new models for power poles and personal storage.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Somehow I'm just as annoyed now that the power poles all have the same height, as I was when I first saw Mk2 power poles were (originally) taller than the Mk1 ones.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

nielsm posted:

Somehow I'm just as annoyed now that the power poles all have the same height, as I was when I first saw Mk2 power poles were (originally) taller than the Mk1 ones.

It does make sense from the standpoint of directly upgrading between them, though. I never did test what happens if you try replacing a Mk1 with a Mk2/3 when there isn't enough clearance above for the higher tiers, but it probably isn't great gameplay any way you slice it.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Tenebrais posted:

I'd go for letting you click-and-drag a square field of them, personally. Since foundations form a 2D layer that would be no problem to control on a mouse screen. Would work for walls too.

Click drag zone filling for foundation, wall, and roof is something I desperately want.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm not sure if I like the new power poles. They're a good model, but the old ones felt more like a machine. Like a could lump a bunch together and make a little substation with them.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wrr posted:

I'm not sure if I like the new power poles. They're a good model, but the old ones felt more like a machine. Like a could lump a bunch together and make a little substation with them.

They look weird without the base. I thought it was a graphical bug at first.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah the square base def. helped them feel more solid.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I still can't make a power grid that's not hideous spaghetti, no matter how organized the rest of my factory is. That's the magic of barely planning anything in advance.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The trick is wall mounted power poles, I've found. They're essentially two poles in one, with arguably less of a footprint, what's not to love? Have the back half connect the poles to each other and the front half the the multitude machines and it's all so tidy :kimchi:

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Latest update seems borked. I'll spawn in around 50 FPS, but eventually my frames drop down to around 15 and just stay there. Seems to happen a lot when viewing things containing liquids (refinery, pipes, storage tanks).

:rip: my mega factory

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Evilreaver posted:

for someone who only started following this thread when steam version was announced: why is this? are fans bitter about factorio?

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Actually the devs are the bitter ones, if you suggest something like "why not do __________ like this, factorio did it and it works great" they get all salty and say "no!! This isn't factorio it is its own game!!"

Very similar to Anthem vs Destiny

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evilreaver posted:

Actually the devs are the bitter ones, if you suggest something like "why not do __________ like this, factorio did it and it works great" they get all salty and say "no!! This isn't factorio it is its own game!!"

When did they do that?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, it is a pretty different game. It's not like they're saying that about every potential suggestion.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I can understand the need to stand out a bit. I'd still describe it to someone who might be interested as "first-person Factorio", and while a lot of the details diverge, it's still got a clear lineage.

The new patch added stackable hypertube supports! Now I can layer them with big pipelines much more neatly.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Evilreaver posted:

When they talked about making pipes, they said they started from a baseline of copying factorio excpet it had to be different because of 3d.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

The new patch added stackable hypertube supports! Now I can layer them with big pipelines much more neatly.

Hmm! Assuming you can still turn them 90 degrees after you place them, this sounds like the easiest way to make a hypertube go straight up.

Soon the easiest way to climb a cliff while exploring will be to carry supplies for a length of hypertube and a biofuel generator.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Dr. Stab posted:

When they talked about making pipes, they said they started from a baseline of copying factorio excpet it had to be different because of 3d.

Hmm, admittedly my info/attitude is from when it first came out way back in the day so I could be mistaken or completely misinformed. I recall at least two instances of this (one was 'make power poles area-effect') but I'll retract the sentiment since I've been out of the game until just like two weeks ago.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bobulus posted:

Hmm! Assuming you can still turn them 90 degrees after you place them, this sounds like the easiest way to make a hypertube go straight up.

Soon the easiest way to climb a cliff while exploring will be to carry supplies for a length of hypertube and a biofuel generator.

I thought of that, then realised if you've built a stack of tube supports, you've already built a perfectly functional ladder.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The easiest way to climb a cliff is either a hypertube railgun (as per posted a couple pages ago, that's the 'cannon' way to get to my nuke plant now) or the 8x4 double ramps if there's not a power hookup nearby.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

chairface posted:

Got any pictures/videos? I remember the amazing poo poo you used to do on Factorio.

:kimchi: aw! I missed this when it was first posted. I'll get a whole tour thing done once I'm at least mostly done with it.

Current goal, 6 Supercomputer Mfgs, 4 Turbomotor Mfgs, 2x each space elevator part, all being fed to the ticket booth
Current state, just need the turbomotors, and I think I have all the raws ready to be put into machines.

My refinery complex is more than 100 refineries, most of them overclocked.

Edit: I really should have done the turbomotors first since I've had to make the miners all by hand so far like a blongus

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I hope they get some kind of stack for this gigantic boner I sprung when I heard about hyper tube stacks

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Evilreaver posted:

The easiest way to climb a cliff is either a hypertube railgun (as per posted a couple pages ago, that's the 'cannon' way to get to my nuke plant now) or the 8x4 double ramps if there's not a power hookup nearby.

Did they nerf stackable conveyer support spam? You used to (still?) be able to just spam them as you climbed up the ones below literally building a ladder as you go. Once you were done with whatever you needed to do you could just select them all for mass deconstruction on your way back down.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

I just place a foundation above me, jetpack to it, rinse repeat.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

Working on setting up Adaptive Control Unit line, holy fuckin poo poo

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Fun fact!

Using the hypertube railgun as an opener can speed up regular hypertube usage too! Go exactly where you want at any percentage of c that you want!

Send friends into your 100-loop tube at a multiple of c if you want because that's cool too!

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
HOT TIP!

Don't have a long enough runway to make a hypertube railgun? Just bend one of the tubes around and get a U (or Z or M) shape! Just don't make an O or some craaaaaazy physics will happen!

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Usually the devs saying this isn’t Factorio is in response to people wanting base defences and enemy attack waves.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Fans posted:

Usually the devs saying this isn’t Factorio is in response to people wanting base defences and enemy attack waves.

Yeah, and people started wanting this again when experimental had bugs with respawning that caused wildlife to respawn in the middle of working bases. Apparently it's difficult to understand that enemies respawning in the middle of your base is not intended, and that experimental releases are expected to have bugs, and that saves where these bugs have triggered may need manual cleanup even after the bug has been fixed.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I do not want attack waves or wildlife to mess with my base. If anything I wish I could tame the green birds and big tentacle-leg things too. And grow my own berries, nuts, mycelia, etc.

Also it took me longer than it should've to figure this out so I'll say it here for other noobs who haven't figured it out: the hostile wildlife's way easier to deal with if you start the battle by hitting them with a truck. Ragdolls em and you can hop out and start smashing while they're still down.

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

chairface posted:

I do not want attack waves or wildlife to mess with my base. If anything I wish I could tame the green birds and big tentacle-leg things too. And grow my own berries, nuts, mycelia, etc.

Also it took me longer than it should've to figure this out so I'll say it here for other noobs who haven't figured it out: the hostile wildlife's way easier to deal with if you start the battle by hitting them with a truck. Ragdolls em and you can hop out and start smashing while they're still down.

I enjoy the feeling I get when I have the leg upgrades and a xeno-basher and I just run wildly up to any small monsters and beat them to death before they can try and attack me. I am a feral technologically-equipped caveman and I will establish my dominance! The big versions tend to give me trouble though

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Also, Update 3 is now live in Early Access.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

chairface posted:

I'd put even odds on there eventually being some sort of greenhouse building to produce the plant foragables.
Hopefully also they'll make inhalers buildable in manufacturers too.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

Let me tame the birds and then set up transit networks with the birds running and flapping back and forth and they can carry one stack at a time.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

Wrr posted:

Let me tame the birds and then set up transit networks with the birds running and flapping back and forth and they can carry one stack at a time.

No to logistics bots, yes to logistics birds. I like the way you think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

I don't care if tame birds do anything, same with the big tentacle-leg guys. Just make em hang around me cuz we're pals. I'll give em beryl nuts every now and then if they want. Maybe build a machine that makes food for em and gives it to em?

I like factorio and mindustry just fine and enjoy them for the bit where it's a constant war but I think satisfactory could legit stand to be "industrial stardew" and just generally be pretty chill and have the wildlife be my homies. I'll still bash the others with a truck but even stardew has hostile stuff in the mines.