Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

PokeJoe posted:

took an offer :toot:

:yotj: grats dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit

PokeJoe posted:

:yosnice:

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

PokeJoe posted:

congrats.

as someone who also took an offer and turned in notice recently i lcant wait for the coronavirus to make the economy tank so bad I immediately get laid of from the new job I start in April and I have to go live in a van.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my new boss called me to tell me the job has no hours and I don't have to go to the office if I don't want to as long as I am completing my work

JehovahsWetness
Dec 9, 2005

bang that shit retarded
i just accepted a remote offer but the onboarding is @ the building in NYC. HR doesn't know wtf since everyone's remote-first right now, even the people in NYC. start date's a month out but just fedex me my hardware don't make me get on a bus into the containment zone, drat

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
just got the laziest linkedin message i've ever seen

quote:

Just a quick note to see if you would consider opportunities? What is the best number to reach you on to discuss quickly?

Thanks in advance

Nathan Francis
World's Top 10 Influential Headhunters 2019. Outstanding Search Firm by AI Magazine / Top 30 CEO's Silicon Valley Review

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

lmao that’s definitely a bot

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
have an onsite with Amazon coming up for a computer janitor job and im kinda freaking out about it

It seems to be the most documented hiring process on earth so prep should be easy enough but i feel like im going into my first serious job interview all over again

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Are you sure? It seems really unlikely that they'd name a robot to the list of top thirty CEOs :thunk:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Counterpoint: Mark Zuckerberg

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

what? you don't get to be an Influencer Headhunter by taking the time to "read" about a "candidate" this is a numbers game post post ppost

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

that is pretty much exactly the level of effort i've seen from headhunters in the past yeah.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Asleep Style posted:

Are you sure? It seems really unlikely that they'd name a robot to the list of top thirty CEOs :thunk:
theres a github user that is a microsoft bot and it apparently gets more recruiter emails than most of their employees lmao

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

starting the interview process with auth0, anyone have/heard experience working for them?

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

theres a github user that is a microsoft bot and it apparently gets more recruiter emails than most of their employees lmao

:laffo:

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yeah because it’s used to automatically push stuff to certain repos it has a huge rep on the site, hence it gets all the recruiter spam

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

well that happened fast. i have three interviews in a row with the competitor company. they’re all via zoom so i’m thinking they all must be working remote and have nothing else to do lol

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

PIZZA.BAT posted:

well that happened fast. i have three interviews in a row with the competitor company. they’re all via zoom so i’m thinking they all must be working remote and have nothing else to do lol

alternatively they don't want random people who may or may not have coronavirus coming into the office for interviews

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
argh i hosed up, i'm not looking for a job right now but i was talking to a recruiter anyway because always be looking and he needed a number to even pitch me to the companies and i just noped out instead of giving him something stupidly high

live and learn i guess

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

when you have nothing to lose always toss out the “lmao if you would pay me this” number. they bite on it sometimes

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
waiting on a response from a faang.. student internship but still psyched

Forums Medic
Oct 2, 2010

i be out there in orbit
Ah nevermind they called and told me to eat poo poo

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

ew gross, they shouldn't have told you that

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

when you have nothing to lose always toss out the “lmao if you would pay me this” number. they bite on it sometimes

yeah i stupidly didn't have one prepared and panicked but "safely"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

that happened to me recently and i told the recruiter i wanted $100 an hour. he didn't call me back

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

you have a lot of faith that recruiters aren't this stupid

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

PokeJoe posted:

that happened to me recently and i told the recruiter i wanted $100 an hour. he didn't call me back
This is only 200k a year and is entirely reasonable for mid-career engineers at BigCo

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got poached from GE Healthcare and threw the “holy poo poo” salary out and they bit on it.

then two years later the company I went to crumbled and went to hell due to an entirely incompetent CEO, but I stacked paper for a while and my paychecks didn’t bounce. now I’m unemployed due to a new and somehow even more incompetent CEO so I guess the real pay check is the friends we make along the way.

should have stayed at GE for less figgies but such is life.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Mar 17, 2020

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

life is just a series of collecting mad stacks followed sometimes by periods of not collecting stacks at all

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

need you guy's opinion

was interviewing for a generalist software engineering position in a cool company

had lots of questions about networking, video streaming, what i've done, etc

it was going well for 55 minutes then the last 5 minutes, got what they literally called a "curveball question", followed by another, followed by another which totally destabilized me.

question was along the lines of "what would you recommend to someone starting c++?". then "what is a dynamic_recast?", then "what happens in c if you do printf("%d %d", 2) and forget an argument"

totally messed up. the thing is, c++ is not really my forte. what i use on a daily basis is javascript.

however i hosed up because c++ is first on my list of skills on my cv, even though i am very aware of the fact that it is not my strongest. i have different versions of my cvs and i try to calibrate them for the position that i apply to, and i must have sent them the embedded cv (which is where i got my bachelor actually)

how hosed am i?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

maybe they wanted to gauge just how well you know lovely details their terrible apps rely on

maybe they're all incredibly bad at hiring

maybe interviewing is garbage

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

It's a crapshoot. They might just want to see how you handle a curve ball and they might be trying to have a smart guy competition to see if you know language trivia. If it's the 2nd one consider it a bullet dodged imo

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

It's a crapshoot. They might just want to see how you handle a curve ball and they might be trying to have a smart guy competition to see if you know language trivia. If it's the 2nd one consider it a bullet dodged imo

is dynamic_recast language trivia? reading about it it feels like it's pretty essential advanced c++ knowledge

i'm not looking for comfort, i want the cold hard truth. if i hosed up i need to know and embrace the job interview hell for a next time

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!
if they spent the last 5 minutes on it they probably don't care but ran out of good questions imo, and "well it's been a while since i wrote c++, but..." is a legit answer and better than either blanking out or trying to bluff, again imo

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k
Looks like I'm back on the job hunt thanks to virus induced layoffs. Looking forward to possibly finding a new personal best for dumbshit interviews.

barkbell
Apr 14, 2006

woof
good luck to all the laid off goons

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

go play outside Skyler posted:

need you guy's opinion

was interviewing for a generalist software engineering position in a cool company

had lots of questions about networking, video streaming, what i've done, etc

it was going well for 55 minutes then the last 5 minutes, got what they literally called a "curveball question", followed by another, followed by another which totally destabilized me.

question was along the lines of "what would you recommend to someone starting c++?". then "what is a dynamic_recast?", then "what happens in c if you do printf("%d %d", 2) and forget an argument"

totally messed up. the thing is, c++ is not really my forte. what i use on a daily basis is javascript.

however i hosed up because c++ is first on my list of skills on my cv, even though i am very aware of the fact that it is not my strongest. i have different versions of my cvs and i try to calibrate them for the position that i apply to, and i must have sent them the embedded cv (which is where i got my bachelor actually)

how hosed am i?

they should be doing a coding test instead of trivia, but if those are basic c++ questions its not entirely unreasonable. You'd be amazed at how often simple questions weed out candidates.

if you don't know c++ that well maybe don't put it on your resume or at the very least give it some level of context like "entry/basic/advanced level knowledge of c++"

b0lt
Apr 29, 2005

go play outside Skyler posted:

is dynamic_recast language trivia? reading about it it feels like it's pretty essential advanced c++ knowledge

i'm not looking for comfort, i want the cold hard truth. if i hosed up i need to know and embrace the job interview hell for a next time

do you mean dynamic_cast? because i have no idea what "dynamic_recast" means
dynamic_cast is somewhat esoteric (especially since lots of projects have rtti disabled), but "what happens when you give printf the wrong arguments" is perfectly fair game

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Loads of people out circles next to a list of languages to communicate relative competence. IMO it's not terrible because saying you're 10/10 at c++ implies a lot, but having 3 circles by c++ Vs 2 by javascript just means you think you're better at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

suffix posted:

if they spent the last 5 minutes on it they probably don't care but ran out of good questions imo, and "well it's been a while since i wrote c++, but..." is a legit answer and better than either blanking out or trying to bluff, again imo

yah this.

after a point i either go into "bonus" questions to fish for additional skills that may not be obvious from other questions/resume stuff or pointless personal stuff like music interests or w/e. the former is for candidates who did well on the tech part of the interview, to maybe fiind something i can use to write an even stronger recommendation. the latter is for candidates who get lost on the tech stuff so early that i run out of soft skills questions and need to run out the clock.