Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Tried one run with the FISTS. It went pretty badly-- I got four Chaos boons, but hardly any normal ones until it was too late. When I reached Elysium, I still only had two-- lightning on the attack, and -75% damage from traps. I was completely out of Death Defiances, got a full refill from Patroclus, and still managed to lose two more against the Champions. Limped to the final boss, but I didn't even last til his second form. Just weird luck-- especially since I was trying out the new mirror option that buffs boon likelihood.

For Asphodel, I equipped Poseidon's trinket-- and somehow made it through there without even getting a boon from him. Never happened before.

Anyway, that run was obviously tilted by weird luck, but even with that in mind the fists felt underwhelming. What's the Special's role? It seems like its damage output is inferior to just regular-attacking, in most situations. I managed to upgrade the amount of knockback it did, which helped, but it still feels way too similar to the normal attack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
You got bad luck with boons, it happens. The special's thing seems to be crowd control with some upgrades. Like many specials that are slower than their weapon's main attack, it's good at applying one-shot status effects like doom or weak so you can fire it off and keep attacking.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
It's also two hits so it benefits from crit% quite a bit, and it's REALLY fast to come out. If you're not focusing on it it's a good way to apply status, since you have a legit dash-special, and in early floors it's a good finisher, since it seems you can seamlessly cancel from the regular attack flurry into it and keep enemies in stunlock.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

I really like the special on the mag fists too, because the pull is full-screen.

Like, it really came in handy during the Temple, because I could pull enemies into a pummeling while still hiding from the Snakestone lasers.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
The Fists really are just a great delivery system for status effects, I basically switched back immediately to Privileged Status because of that, although I do like the opposite mirror bonus as well, just not so much on this weapon. Actually I've flipped back almost all of the mirror options, not sure if the new ones are underwhelming or I'm too set in my ways. Of the new ones I only have... let me see what the names are... Fiery Presense (actually also bad with the Fists, I might switch this back too), Stygian Soul, Olympian Legacy and Fated Persuasion turned on at the moment. It's a bummer seeing so many white boons when previously there were mostly blue and above, but Legendaries and Duos are too fun.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The new Mirror options are almost all good - I now basically use the single dash and single cast as my default, they're a lot more satisfying. Please note that the ultimate option - rerolls - will REFRESH the well of charon, not simply reroll unpicked choices. You can walk away with a dozen (+8 duration) status affects off of a single well, it's mad.

Well, except the mirror option that starts you back at 50hp in exchange for a minor conditional dmg boost. Speedrunners might like it, the rest of us less so. Oh, and if you use stubborn defiance, the Well of Charon upgrade for it (since it's can't replenish) is like 40gold for +10% hp defiance hp... for 20 encounters. Persius gives you +50% respawn hp for a billion encounters too. That mirror option is *terrible* for Hades, and the 50hp start can go bite me, but the rest are all strong.

---------

I've been liking the fists - they are *very* fast, and the Demeter aspect punches comically hard for tiny investment. Ex: doing the dash-special is hard on my kindbindings, but landing 7 Daedalus rocket uppercuts is funny. I think the key for the fists is that you absolutely need dmg boons on the punch and/or special - if you try to use them for debuffs you'll be falling behind. The fists are also without doubt the best backstabbing tool, as you stay so close, don't push yourself around, and the enemy is usually stunlocked.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

How's everyone feeling about the new boon graphics? I'm not exactly sold on them. The new tiny spinning icons for them just aren't nearly as readable at a glance. That's not a big problem, since there aren't really any situations where you need to quickly differentiate between one boon and another. But still, it doesn't look all that great and doesn't really match the rest of the game's art style. Feels more placeholder than the old ones did. :shrug:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
yeah I hate them

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yup the larger icons where better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
same, the animated ones look cheap

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I maxed out Olympian Legacy and didn't get a single Legendary or Duo boon so I am henceforth declaring it worthless

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Check out the Nyx trinket again, it’s a backstab/first shot bonus (like both of the first mirror upgrades). Would like to know what the numbers are when it’s ranked up but sounds good in theory, and I didn’t notice it had changed til now.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

BobTheJanitor posted:

How's everyone feeling about the new boon graphics? I'm not exactly sold on them. The new tiny spinning icons for them just aren't nearly as readable at a glance. That's not a big problem, since there aren't really any situations where you need to quickly differentiate between one boon and another. But still, it doesn't look all that great and doesn't really match the rest of the game's art style. Feels more placeholder than the old ones did. :shrug:

They look so cheap that for a moment I wondered if they were alpha test ones that snuck in. One thing I do like is that it's easy to tell at a glance if their rarity is increased... at least I think that's what the different colors mean.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I really disliked that mirror upgrade, you still have to get prerequisites anyway and by the time you've got all those you've got a pretty decent chance of getting a Duo/Legendary anyway.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Sleep in your room to trigger the dream then you buy access from the contractor. It was 3 diamonds, I think.

Sleeping hasn't done anything since the previous triggered event; is it just after that? If so I must've just missed it at the contractor.

BobTheJanitor posted:

Huge fan. I love the new look.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Magus42 posted:

Sleeping hasn't done anything since the previous triggered event; is it just after that? If so I must've just missed it at the contractor.

In my case I was walking through the room and Zag made a comment about needing to sleep, and then the dream was specific to (not sure if this is spoilery or not) waking up late and rushing to your job in the administration room, not knowing how to do anything, and getting fired from the job by grumpy dad.

After that the option showed up on the contractor, I think on the first tab, to unlock access for 3 diamonds.

Magus42 posted:

Huge fan. I love the new look.

Turn on your monitor. :v:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
speaking of sleeping, this imo was the first update to really sell just how abusive hades' relationship with zagreus really was

he came off as more of a catty dick in everything before, but during that flashback he just kept grinding at the kid

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Serephina posted:

Is nobody else kinda surprised at Nyx's portrait being so... boob-y? I know we've been talking to a hooded placeholder for ages, but the voice acting has always been so maternal that it's kinda startling to see what they came up with.

It's relatively consistent with her portrayal in painting and sculpture; Nyx is described as a great beauty, what with being Night itself. In some of her portrayals she could be confused for Aphrodite if not for very deliberate choices for other features in the work

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

I thought her look was questionable too. I mean, the art is good. But not really appropriate unless we're going to get a guest appearance from the shade of Oedipus Rex at some point.

I think I may be misunderstanding your comment but I would prefer that she not be portrayed as a romantic interest for Zagreus

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Nyx is a MILF, Mother I'd Like to FINALLY GET THE STUPID ARTHUR SWORD ASPECT FROM

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

speaking of sleeping, this imo was the first update to really sell just how abusive hades' relationship with zagreus really was

he came off as more of a catty dick in everything before, but during that flashback he just kept grinding at the kid

I believe this comes down to Hades really wanting Zagreus to leave, but not being able to express that overtly for Olympus reasons. He is almost definitely the one who hired Achilles and Skelly to help Zagreus. Zagreus points out multiple times how easy it would be to make escape actually impossible, by locking up the infernal arms or the mirror or just sealing Zagreus in a pit somewhere for a thousand years. Hades never really punishes anyone who fails to stop you, or the individuals who are overtly helping you.

He definitely didn't want Zagreus to settle into some role in the underworld. He wants Zagreus to escape, but not until he's ready for some sort of ramification for doing so, probably some horrific prophecy he'll have to deal with

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

The big titty goth mom update

Also those fist weapons look rad, can’t wait to check them out

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem

QuarkJets posted:

I think I may be misunderstanding your comment but I would prefer that she not be portrayed as a romantic interest for Zagreus

It is a joke.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

BobTheJanitor posted:

The devs have already said that they're going to continue iterating on their look at least, with changes coming as soon as the follow-up patch(es) this week, so there's that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Cnidaria posted:

The big titty goth mom update

Also those fist weapons look rad, can’t wait to check them out

No the Demeter update was the previous one :rimshot:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Played two runs with the fists last night, low heat just to get used to them. They feel a little awkward, the damage on the special is massive especially in the early parts, but you're forced to be so close that you take way more incidental damage than the other weapons. Have not tried the magnet special, but I upgraded the Demeter fists and the burst damage is hilarious.

They were a lot of fun but also so much more dangerous. Not going to replace the Chaos Shield / Hestia Rail as my go to high heat weapons, but great for a change of pace.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

QuarkJets posted:

No the Demeter update was the previous one :rimshot:

That's a GILF: Grandma I'd Like to Freeze My Enemies For Me

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n
My first run with the fists opened with the Daedalus Hammer and, well

:eyepop:

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

The armor one is nice since you can blow through their armor in a hit or two, but it's not incredibly overpowered since you still have to get through their normal HP bar. I ended up with that one on my first trial run with them and it was good but not mind blowing. Also had the 2% hp on special kills, and that was kind of meh, at least on the base gloves. I'd ended up with my damage in just the right spot so that my special seemed to always lower enemies to not quite dead, and then knockback bounced them off a wall for the kill, which didn't count for the heal. Or they just died to hangover dot damage or something else.

Having a hangover on attack boon for the gloves was great, though. You could refresh the stacks completely with a quick combo. But incidental chip damage kept my HP lower than I like. Think I finished off Hades with only a sliver of my last HP bar, and that was on 0 heat.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
The 2% special on kill is awkward yea, but it really shines in Styx with all the tiny rats that die in one hit. You can heal 30%+ in a single room.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

BobTheJanitor posted:

The armor one is nice since you can blow through their armor in a hit or two, but it's not incredibly overpowered since you still have to get through their normal HP bar.
The thing is that once you chew through their armor bar, they are stunlocked like anyone else. Mini bosses become high hp regular enemies that just eat an extra combo.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Yeah I think people undervalue bonuses to armor damage since bosses have no armor. But it's extremely strong and will result in you having more resources for the final boss, plus the hardest part about the final boss is having to deal with the summoned mega-elite enemies, which all have tons of armor and extremely damaging attack patterns. The sooner you can get those things stunlocked the easier that boss fight will go

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
A lot of my builds I just ignore his adds and push him to phase 2 cause that kills any that are still alive. The first set I might kill but half the time I just let them die to random aoe damage. If you have a bonus vs armor boon/hammer it is a huge help though.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

QuarkJets posted:

Yeah I think people undervalue bonuses to armor damage since bosses have no armor. But it's extremely strong and will result in you having more resources for the final boss, plus the hardest part about the final boss is having to deal with the summoned mega-elite enemies, which all have tons of armor and extremely damaging attack patterns. The sooner you can get those things stunlocked the easier that boss fight will go
Fair point, but since Calls are (usually) so lovely against the Final Boss, it's a no-brainer to use your Call on the adds and mop them up with extra speed and safety. Likewise for companion Summons if you have any left.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

Likewise for companion Summons if you have any left.

For the few that actually work on the last boss. Just bouldy and skelly I think?

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

BobTheJanitor posted:

For the few that actually work on the last boss. Just bouldy and skelly I think?
Those are the two best as far as I'm concerned, but don't the others still go off (and squish the adds), but the boss disappears for a second? I don't really remember what happened when I tried... I learned they don't work and stopped trying.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
My recent runs have been really frustrating because I've been winning but my god selection has been horrid. It's been impossible to make cool synergy builds because the game throws like 5 random gods at me and all the picks are random passives.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Kanos posted:

My recent runs have been really frustrating because I've been winning but my god selection has been horrid. It's been impossible to make cool synergy builds because the game throws like 5 random gods at me and all the picks are random passives.

I hate that. When you're good enough at the game to hate-mash your way through the whole thing even with a bad run, but completely unsatisfying.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Infinite Karma posted:

Those are the two best as far as I'm concerned, but don't the others still go off (and squish the adds), but the boss disappears for a second? I don't really remember what happened when I tried... I learned they don't work and stopped trying.

Nope, in my experience pressing the button does nothing at all, and if you repeatedly press it then Zag might say something like 'can't do that right now' and you get a brief pop-up message over his head telling you it's unavailable.

Kanos posted:

Ah the fun of roguelikes. Bad runs are never fun, but I feel like this game exacerbates it somewhat by not giving you an option to just abandon your run and start over. You can give up but then you reset with the same run, so that's no help. And having to go stand in the lava or let enemies beat on you while you burn through all your extra lives is just adding insult to injury. So often yeah I'll end up finishing out a poo poo run even if it's painful because the alternatives are worse.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
I've been having the game locking up any time a voiced character gets a new line while they're already speaking. Is that a known/fixable bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Senethro posted:

I've been having the game locking up any time a voiced character gets a new line while they're already speaking. Is that a known/fixable bug?

Try adding /AllowVoiceBankStreaming=false to your launch options, says Supergiant on Reddit.