Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Stuffed bear positioning is vital to really pull the scene together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The next Fallout game should have a town where someone kept accidentally setting off the "incoming nukes" alarm, so when the bombs actually fell no one was taking cover.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Chamale posted:

The next Fallout game should have a town where someone kept accidentally setting off the "incoming nukes" alarm, so when the bombs actually fell no one was taking cover.

The Boy Who Cried Nuke

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Fallout in Hawaii would be interesting. At least, in theory. Bethesda has trouble taking advantage of that kinda thing.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Fallout in Hawaii would be interesting. At least, in theory. Bethesda has trouble taking advantage of that kinda thing.

Hell, I'd love to see a competent company take a run at that Fallout adjacent game that took place in post apocalyptic Florida.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't know if I could handle another Point Lookout

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Fallout But There's Finally Water Combat Against Horrifying Mutated Water Creatures

Granted, topping The Red Death might be a challenge

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Iron Crowned posted:

Hell, I'd love to see a competent company take a run at that Fallout adjacent game that took place in post apocalyptic Florida.
Fountain of Dreams. And like, for real, the zeitgeist has changed so much that you could almost literally remake the same game in a first-person engine and have it work in 2020. In 1990, the idea of clowns as antagonists was a universally ridiculed non-starter. I honestly think it would just straight-up work now. Plus the stuff they did with mutations is actually really close to what Bethesda eventually tried with Fallout 76, as hilarious as that is.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I've lowkey thought about running a tabletop campaign set in fallout hawaii for years, mostly as an excuse to subject my players to all the surf rock i can find

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Quill posted:

When the bombs start falling, why not try and create a funny scene out of your human remains instead? Maybe crawl into a bathtub with a saxophone?

Todd? Is that you?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

we all gotta die jacking off like that mount vesuvius guy

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Quill posted:

When the bombs start falling, why not try and create a funny scene out of your human remains instead? Maybe crawl into a bathtub with a saxophone?

Nah. Go up on the roof with your significant other. Sit down in some lawn chairs and enjoy a few bottles of vodka while you play checkers with bottlecaps.

Make sure you wear a funny hat, too.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

remember to strap one of the bottles to your hand for added poignancy

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm gonna be in a bathtub with dozens of inhalers of Jet a well known prewar chem.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm gonna be in a bathtub with dozens of inhalers of Jet a well known prewar chem.

I assume all your inhalers will be full, as opposed to empty, as they would be if you had just used them?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah all full. I'm just hoarding them.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
Bethesda designer says in interview whole team shocked to learn players enjoyed cooperating in online co-op game!

Bethesda designer Ferret Baudoin posted:

The funny thing is that in some respects [the players] added the most human things of all. The role-playing, for example, or some of the stories you hear about people dressed up as Santa Claus giving out gifts. That was something we didn't anticipate. We had whole plans for ways to let players murder each other, and they just wouldn't do it. We had all these plans for PvP, and actually, we have the least PvP audience ever. We have a weird, wonderful audience that would rather help each other out even when they have the other options.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-08-fallout-76-wants-to-bring-humanity-to-the-game-through-npcs

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Do I just misremember statistics, or was the lesson that only about 10-20% of gamers wanted to kill other players (when there was something else to do in the game) not pretty firmly established more than a decade ago?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Dr. Quarex posted:

Do I just misremember statistics, or was the lesson that only about 10-20% of gamers wanted to kill other players (when there was something else to do in the game) not pretty firmly established more than a decade ago?
PvP in roleplaying games always amounts to stomping lowbies so not a whole lot of people partake in it (in fo76s case, less than 2% of all players, which is why their short lived, dumb rear end Survival mode was headed straight for death before it even began. why they spent even more time on nuclear winter when the battle royal craze was being done fifty times better, I dunno)

most players who want more balanced pvp move to games centered around pvp

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

TheAgent posted:

PvP in roleplaying games always amounts to stomping lowbies so not a whole lot of people partake in it (in fo76s case, less than 2% of all players, which is why their short lived, dumb rear end Survival mode was headed straight for death before it even began. why they spent even more time on nuclear winter when the battle royal craze was being done fifty times better, I dunno)

most players who want more balanced pvp move to games centered around pvp
I am so relieved to hear that Survival mode attracted fewer than 2% of all players, because I remember thinking "who in the world is this being made for? Is everyone secretly lusting for death and I was not aware? If everyone wants to kill other players, why have I never even been shot at in all my time playing?"

(O.K. one dude in beta tried to beat me to death with a baseball bat but his heart was clearly not in it)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
i'd say around 20% of my encounters were hostile. but this was when the game had just come out.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Hell, for all we know lots of people did want to kill other players. But the PvP system was so awful, clunky, and just pointless that anyone who came into with that mindset would have given it up almost immediately. Yeah I'm sure a PvPer is gonna love a game where everyone has to flag up to fight, the defender gets a comical first-hit advantage, and all of it pointless and does nothing anyway.

We'll never know how many people wanted to PvP because the game did not offer it in any sensible fashion.

drkeiscool
Aug 1, 2014
Soiled Meat

the whole article is hilarious. the people behind fallout 76 are shocked that people want fallout in their fallout game

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Bethesda designer says in interview whole team shocked to learn players enjoyed cooperating in online co-op game!

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2020-03-08-fallout-76-wants-to-bring-humanity-to-the-game-through-npcs

This level of unawareness is astounding. Anyone who has been playing cooperative online games during the last three decades could have told them about their experiences, but I guess even basic market research is too much to ask. Bethesda was always at least semi-competent, but now I doubt they could pull off anything except an MTX riddled mobile game. Every trend chasing idiot who was in a managerial position over there deserves nothing, but a swift kick to the curb.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Quill posted:

This level of unawareness is astounding.

It really is. Like where do you even start with someone like this lol.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

It's pretty obvious they had no clue what they wanted Fallout 76 to be.

It's Fallout 4-2 with focusing with more of the same: Explore ruined buildings, find funny skeletons, build penis statues out of trash.
But it's also Rust and H1Z1 with competitive survival mechanics where you expect people to kill each other for the stuff they have.
But it also wants to be Destiny with respawning enemies to kill, with randomised loot and raids.

Now it wants to bring back some RPG elements because people cannot shut up about them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I'm still thinking all of fallout 76 has only been a beta test for a multiplayer elder scrolls even down to the monthly fee. They never cared how well it worked or played because they are just gathering as much knowledge for their big play down the line.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"
It is just baffling they had no clue what their audience wanted. I can't recall a single conversation online or off about how cool an online Fallout game could be that involved PvP. Literally not one. PvP can be a fun distraction when you get bored of leveling but to think that was what people would be focused on?! Really?! How is it even possible they could be that ignorant to things that interest their target demo? It is mind boggling trying to understand how Bethesda manages to be a successful company when they are so bad at even the most basic things.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
"We really thought people would love PvP in our game that only has a single joke PvP option."

- A professional game designer

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
Not to mention survival was incredibly off balanced right from the get go. Letting people bring their adventure mode characters into survival was a terrible idea.

VRViperII
Mar 17, 2009
I would have appreciated a raider faction. Go talk to Rose and sign up to be a raider. Server wide notification and a red name. Hostile to everyone. Diablo 2 style. Limited fast travel options. Get some kill streak rewards, go gank some noobs, and get smashed by the community police. 1 death. Sign up again tomorrow for another try.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I am loving tired of generic raiders. Even in the old games the raider factions were more like tribes or biker gangs. Wannabe gangsters, biker mongols, snake venom dudes.

Just give me something other than 500,000 nameless illiterate "raiders" who outnumber civilized populations 50-1.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
they did have some decent differences between the raider factions in fo76 and I thought it was kinda neato all the super rich idiots on ski vacations became the raiders

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It is just baffling they had no clue what their audience wanted. I can't recall a single conversation online or off about how cool an online Fallout game could be that involved PvP. Literally not one. PvP can be a fun distraction when you get bored of leveling but to think that was what people would be focused on?! Really?! How is it even possible they could be that ignorant to things that interest their target demo? It is mind boggling trying to understand how Bethesda manages to be a successful company when they are so bad at even the most basic things.
Yeah it really bothered me how many people were focusing on hating Bethesda because "nobody wanted a multiplayer Fallout game" despite that being absolutely false ... what we DID agree on, though, is that nobody wanted their friends to be able to join them in Fallout because we actually just wanted to shoot them in the face.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Arcsquad12 posted:

I am loving tired of generic raiders. Even in the old games the raider factions were more like tribes or biker gangs. Wannabe gangsters, biker mongols, snake venom dudes.

Just give me something other than 500,000 nameless illiterate "raiders" who outnumber civilized populations 50-1.

I haven't played F76 but they actually did have warring raider factions in F4 that actually change based on which ones you kill first....but in true Bethesda fashion there is no related quests, they all wear the same armor and all this is only gleaned from terminal entries

So a good idea that was implemented so poorly it ended up not mattering, which is kind of Bethesda's MO

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All the raiders are dead. The only things you fight are mutant monsters, ghouls, red ghouls, super mutants, and mole men.

You do a quest to check out the raider groups and they are described to you for what they did and stuff, etc.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah the raider factions in Fallout 76 are probably the most interesting outside of Fallout: New Vegas. Despite, you know, all being dead.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I'd love to see a Fallout game in a city hit by a "neutron bomb", where a massive blast of radiation killed everyone instantly. All microorganisms were also killed, so there's no decomposition; we see the people sitting exactly as they were when when they died. Families eating, people working at the office, making whoopie in a back-alley motel.

(Yes I know that neutron bombs don't really work that way. This is Fallout, where Radiation Is Magic.)

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Pretty sure if they would've made a genuine working PvP game there would be less people complaining how "nobody asked for this"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Gynovore posted:

I'd love to see a Fallout game in a city hit by a "neutron bomb", where a massive blast of radiation killed everyone instantly. All microorganisms were also killed, so there's no decomposition; we see the people sitting exactly as they were when when they died. Families eating, people working at the office, making whoopie in a back-alley motel.

(Yes I know that neutron bombs don't really work that way. This is Fallout, where Radiation Is Magic.)

the decomp should start at the edges though, like you can progress from the icky outside into a pristine ground zero