Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

If you look at bitcoin there's always some new moron ready to hold the bag (anything bitcoin related involves people being morons even people that claim they know what they are doing). I guess bitcoin is a lot less regulated though so you get high school kids involved too which should never happen in the stock market. You also get crazy success stories and the idiot will try and repeat it losing their fortune instead of celebrating their victory and either exiting entirely or slowing down to a normal strategy.

WSB seems to be converting bitcoin people into options people, which could lead to new and interesting things if the bitcoin guys still have a lot of cash they are ready to be stupid with.

pixaal fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Mar 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Are the people buying $CZR puts gonna go in as early as possible or maybe wait for a market bounce today?

I don’t know about price movement day to day but I imagine that it stays above 10 today at least at the open. There’s no news aside from general Fed cuts interest rates news that would send the stock much higher IMO. There’s also no news that would send the stock cratering.

They also canceled the temporary cell towers for the NFL draft weekend. Looks like fewer people in attendance or that it’s planing on being canceled.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

Would someone who's enamored of the "lots of stupid people are buying options so that means we're at the bottom" please describe how that works? How does increased option volume make the underlying asset go up?

"Lots of stupid people are buying stonks so that means we're at the top" is vaguely useful because it means that the asset is overpriced and the least educated and involved people are now buying in. They are the last frontier of bag holders for people to sell to, so there's not going to be more bagholders, which means that the speculative bubble has run out of new, low education buyers.

What's the corresponding argument for "everyone's buying options now bottom called lol"?

Thought of this some more as well. Same "stupid" people will very easily get shaken out of the trade from the volatility, give up, and then miss out on the next leg down.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Lote posted:

I don’t know about price movement day to day but I imagine that it stays above 10 today at least at the open. There’s no news aside from general Fed cuts interest rates news that would send the stock much higher IMO. There’s also no news that would send the stock cratering.

They also canceled the temporary cell towers for the NFL draft weekend. Looks like fewer people in attendance or that it’s planing on being canceled.

Puts jumped up quite a bit on open and so far $CZR has broadly followed general market trends so I think I'm gonna risk waiting for a market correction before going in

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Are the people buying $CZR puts gonna go in as early as possible or maybe wait for a market bounce today?

Probably go in now but have prices at where they will avg down if they are going in for long term.

Also JPM telling it's clients to sell into every rally and that the Fed will cut by 100bps next week.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Ulio posted:

Probably go in now but have prices at where they will avg down if they are going in for long term.

Also JPM telling it's clients to sell into every rally and that the Fed will cut by 100bps next week.

I bought at open 4/17 $10p, premiums only up $10, to $179 for 1 conteact. Looks like a bargain ATM, unless they somehow start making money amid this crisis. Although the market is irrational so who knows. For me it's a calculated gamble.

Bored As Fuck fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Mar 11, 2020

fougera
Apr 5, 2009
So on a down day like today, what is the "correct" way to take profits while maintaining the same exposure? i.e. If i were to take profits on nearer expirys, what should I be buying to replace it?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

fougera posted:

So on a down day like today, what is the "correct" way to take profits while maintaining the same exposure? i.e. If i were to take profits on nearer expirys, what should I be buying to replace it?

If you don’t think the market will move up or down significantly why replace? You don’t have to be fully exposed if you don’t see opportunities.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

fougera posted:

Generally you see more theta problems the closer to expiry. So if you wanted to keep a strategy rolling, buying the same strike with a farther expiry will allow you to avoid the same level of theta problems to some degree.

Generally.

Prices are loving nuts right now.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
Took a position on CZR. 18 SEP 6 PUTS. Bid/ask spread was pretty gross but I might still be green on them by EOD; I plan to hold to expiry or for them to get at least $1 ITM.

Thanks for the good writeup Lote, hope it bears out.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Goddamn, IV is so bad that my short-term expiry puts and calls refuse to move

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

fougera posted:

You can't maintain the same exposure that you have RIGHT NOW, AND take profits, so I think it's useful to understand what kind of rolls you can make and what you're trading in and out. Any time you convert option value to cash you're eliminating both risk and potential at the same time. Any time you convert cash to option value you're increasing both your risk and potential at the same time. I'll write it up for puts, but you can change price-relative negative numbers positive and vice versa to make it apply for calls. Theta and Gamma have these relationships regardless of call/put.

For puts:

If you execute a vertical to move your strike price down, you should receive cash, increase your delta, decrease gamma, and decrease your theta. Further drops will pay out less, but, you got cash out.
If you execute a vertical to move your strike price up, you will pay cash, decrease your delta, increase gamma, and increase theta. Further drops will pay out more for you putting in more cash.
If you roll to a later expiry, you will pay cash, marginally increase delta, decrease gamma, and decrease theta. Further drops will pay out more per point, but, the gains you'll get from volatility will be muted.
If you roll to a closer expiry, you will receive cash, decrease delta, increase gamma, and increase theta. Further drops will pay out less per point, but you'll get more from overall volatility.

Right now vol is high so all options are high. You can think of buying a later expiry as buying "more option" than a closer expiry, so do you want to buy in bulk while stuff is expensive, or while it's cheap? (While it's cheap). For me that means I generally don't want to hold things past 60 days if I'm trying to maintain exposure to a trend like our current bear trend.

Dwight Eisenhower fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Mar 11, 2020

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Dwight is very good at explaining this and I like that post. Most options traders on the internet (read: idiots, maybe not here, but elsewhere idiots) ignore the greeks and get all pissy when they lose value despite small price movement that would favor their options. Or they buy weeklies in a flat week and lose everything.

Options are not great at holding value over any amount of time! They're supposed to be really complex instruments but most people trade them like lottery scratchers, myself included. Don't hold options over weekends these days if you don't have a REALLY good idea what you're doing.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009

Hit Man posted:

Doom and gloom.

Merkel says 60-70% of the population will get this virus. Some truth at this rate.

My work is looking choppy. Fear and signs that read "If you feel sick, don't enter the building". This will work out great. A competitor is having all office people work from home. So much for people in production.

Futures look like poo poo. Trump dragging feet and bullshitting tax cuts. Time to drop.

The major issue is that the 60-70% infected have to be spread out in time, i.e. the rate of infection needs to be slowed down by quarantine measures etc., in order not to completely overload the health system.

In addition to the rate cut, UK (of all places) has come out today with what looks to me like a fairly sensible fiscal response:

quote:

Sunak warned the virus will inevitably lead to a reduction in consumer spending. But he said he was in “constant communication” with the Bank of England over the “coordinated” and “comprehensive” response to the virus. The chancellor set out his multi-billion pound three-point plan, including 7 billion pounds to support businesses and individuals:

- The National Health Service will get “whatever it needs, whatever it costs,” with a 5 billion-pound emergency response fund immediately for public services
- People will get financial support if they need it to cope with the virus, with statutory sick pay for everyone who’s been told to self-isolate, and more generous welfare rules
- Supporting businesses: government to refund sick pay bills for 14 days in full, for 2 million companies with fewer than 250 employees.

Comparing this with the US admin that has been announcing major plans to come for three trading days now and nothing to show for it, I'm... a little concerned.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

jokes posted:

Dwight is very good at explaining this and I like that post. Most options traders on the internet (read: idiots, maybe not here, but elsewhere idiots) ignore the greeks and get all pissy when they lose value despite small price movement that would favor their options. Or they buy weeklies in a flat week and lose everything.

Options are not great at holding value over any amount of time! They're supposed to be really complex instruments but most people trade them like lottery scratchers, myself included. Don't hold options over weekends these days if you don't have a REALLY good idea what you're doing.

Thank you! FWIW I have been told almost all of these things or read them several times over, but understanding them intellectually in space to breath and without anything on the line is different from having the ability to use this information in the moment and act coherently with it to make decisions that require timeliness. A lot of trading option skill is seat time, and seat time is expensive with options. I've been trying to passively play things like iron condors or ridonkulous cheap singles since ~2013. I'd hazard like 50-65% of whatever skill I do have has come about in the last 6 months since I've been trading more actively.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Anyone know if there's a website that shows me a chart, and for any point I click on the chart it comes up with articles for that specific date? Like say I'm looking at a stock and want to know what caused drops and spikes, just click on those and bam article.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Took a position on CZR. 18 SEP 6 PUTS. Bid/ask spread was pretty gross but I might still be green on them by EOD; I plan to hold to expiry or for them to get at least $1 ITM.

Thanks for the good writeup Lote, hope it bears out.

You’re welcome. I would be cautious to broadly apply this thesis to all gambling stocks, specifically gambling stocks with exposure to Macao/Singapore like LVS, WYNN, and MGM. I think the reopening of Macao to mainland China is going to be announced in the next few weeks which will cause those stocks to jump temporarily. I think this recovery is going to be a hockey stick with lingering effects lasting into the fall. Rooms in Macao and Singapore are basically selling at their cheapest for all days out until the end of April. What’s curious is that Macao took some pretty extreme measures to prevent spread and they only had 10 cases which are all recovered.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

You can't maintain the same exposure that you have RIGHT NOW, AND take profits, so I think it's useful to understand what kind of rolls you can make and what you're trading in and out. Any time you convert option value to cash you're eliminating both risk and potential at the same time. Any time you convert cash to option value you're increasing both your risk and potential at the same time. I'll write it up for puts, but you can change price-relative negative numbers positive and vice versa to make it apply for calls. Theta and Gamma have these relationships regardless of call/put.

For puts:

If you execute a vertical to move your strike price down, you should receive cash, increase your delta, decrease gamma, and decrease your theta. Further drops will pay out less, but, you got cash out.
If you execute a vertical to move your strike price up, you will pay cash, decrease your delta, increase gamma, and increase theta. Further drops will pay out more for you putting in more cash.
If you roll to a later expiry, you will pay cash, marginally increase delta, decrease gamma, and decrease theta. Further drops will pay out more per point, but, the gains you'll get from volatility will be muted.
If you roll to a closer expiry, you will receive cash, decrease delta, increase gamma, and increase theta. Further drops will pay out less per point, but you'll get more from overall volatility.

Right now vol is high so all options are high. You can think of buying a later expiry as buying "more option" than a closer expiry, so do you want to buy in bulk while stuff is expensive, or while it's cheap? (While it's cheap). For me that means I generally don't want to hold things past 60 days if I'm trying to maintain exposure to a trend like our current bear trend.

Awesome thanks. I was struggling to express what I wanted before; the end objective is to get cash out because I don't want options to exceed a certain % of my capital.

Why is it that both gamma and theta have the same relationship regardless of call/put? For the above I would figure a vertical/down for a call would make it more in the money and therefore less sensitive to short term moves or time decay?

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I'm tempted to jump in on Canadian National Railway here in Canada since their price is dropping like everyone else's and it looks like the pipeline blockades are done. They move grain and poo poo around. People are still going to be eating for quite some time.

I should probably find out how much of what they haul is usually Canadian oil first, because that sector is taking a beating.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
There's the P word.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

odiv posted:

I'm tempted to jump in on Canadian National Railway here in Canada since their price is dropping like everyone else's and it looks like the pipeline blockades are done. They move grain and poo poo around. People are still going to be eating for quite some time.

I should probably find out how much of what they haul is usually Canadian oil first, because that sector is taking a beating.

Russia and Saudis Arabia/MBS are in a price war right now but this also applies to US and Canada. MBS wants to bankrupt and take out as many Nat gas / oil companies as possible and the US and Canada are also in his crosshairs. They are maxing production AND releasing reserves as their output is higher than their stated max production. Aramco just went public so they’ve got cash to potentially scoop up the leftovers and/or sustain this price war for quite a while.

Also CZR just broke through its resistance at $10. Looks to not have a floor right now.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Oh yeah, absolutely I don't want to go anywhere near Canadian oil for those (and other) reasons. But I have no idea how much of CNR's business is oil related and it would be irresponsible (lol) to invest without at least a cursory look at that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

There's the P word.

Everything is a lagging indicator at this point.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I’ve been holding an ES futures position all day and been unable to trade the run up from 11:20-12:20 and now the subsequent drop due to work. :sigh:

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

There's the P word.

Purchasing puts prop portfolio profit. Public panic pays.

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010
GUSH is now a penny stock. Do they re-index or reverse split 3x stocks?

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hit Man posted:

Purchasing puts prop portfolio profit. Public panic pays.

Pandemic

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
There was a big ol to-do about how the word pandemic isn't used in any formal capacity, but I guess that was the cdc and not who? Maybe? Either way big lol if anyone was waiting for an organization to confirm that Virus Gonna Virus

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

fougera posted:

Awesome thanks. I was struggling to express what I wanted before; the end objective is to get cash out because I don't want options to exceed a certain % of my capital.

Why is it that both gamma and theta have the same relationship regardless of call/put? For the above I would figure a vertical/down for a call would make it more in the money and therefore less sensitive to short term moves or time decay?

I think it's more that I worded it poorly than your understanding.

Holding an expiry constant across strikes: more at the money = more theta and more gamma. As you go further OTM, the probability ITM drops and so the probability parts of the option's value drop off. As you go further ITM, more of the price of the option is dictated by intrinsic than by extrinsic value. You're buying the most gamma at the money, and you'll suffer the most theta at the money.

Holding a strike constant across expiries: gamma of further dated expiries is lower than gamma of nearer dated expiries. theta of further dated expiries is lower than theta of nearer dated expiries.

I've read some people trying to instruct about options that gamma IS theta. I think what they mean is, there's some amount of value that is the probabilistic expiry of the option, and that both gamma and delta are different outcomes on the price of the option as two different variables (volatility and time) interact with that value.

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
That's all greek to me :downs:

Gotta watch some videos about the greeks.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

SPY really holding unto that 270 area. I am guessing if that breaks we will see credit spreads widen even more.

Ulio fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 11, 2020

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 2750 is acting like a support for some reason (the reason is people are dumb). Not sure Central Banks have enough ammo to hold this up anymore, it might come down to bailouts.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

There was a big ol to-do about how the word pandemic isn't used in any formal capacity, but I guess that was the cdc and not who? Maybe? Either way big lol if anyone was waiting for an organization to confirm that Virus Gonna Virus

Its kind of weird but a lot of companies, including ours, have their contingency planning tied to WHO alert levels. We went to highest reaction mode awhile ago in spite of the WHO dragging its feet, but I can imagine there are a significant percentage of companies who were still holding off due to red tape or "its just a flu bro, it'll blow over".

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

The fact that MSFT still hasn't cancelled Build 2020 means that some companies are of the belief that it might all blow over.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Yeah, 2750 is acting like a support for some reason (the reason is people are dumb). Not sure Central Banks have enough ammo to hold this up anymore, it might come down to bailouts.

Speaking of, the Fed accepted its record for overnight repo today. Something like $150 billion. At what point does it become concerning that there’s a liquidity crisis? This is supposed to be emergency operations and shouldn’t it be concerning if there are no banks willing to lend overnight for an increasingly large amount of money?

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
you know the only reason the WHO have had to dig out the old definition and run a 'THIS IS A PANDEMIC' conference is to drill it home to Trump

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Bored As gently caress posted:

That's all greek to me :downs:

Gotta watch some videos about the greeks.

short version:

delta: how much this position goes up if the underlying goes up a dollar
gamma: how much delta goes up if the underlying goes up a dollar
theta: how much this position goes down in 24 hours

So theta of holding one share of stock is 0, delta is 1, and gamma is 0
Theta of being short one share of stock is 0, delta is -1, and gamma is 0.

The greeks are things you estimate about an option; they are the tail and the tail does not wag the dog. Models for estimating the greeks are wrong; but may be useful.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Etrade flip it's daily change percent calculation to baseline from open instead of prior close or something?

Only showing a five percent gain on the may 260s I bought near close yesterday, when it's more like 50%.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
My 7/17 at $275 is gonna buy me a lotta hand sanitizer off ebay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Preemptive RIP longest bull market ever