Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Where's the OSHA violation? Dude's clearly rinsing the trays with clean water from the orange tub. Or do you just want to hang poo poo on people who don't have convenient access to running water?

Watch it again, closely...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Where's the OSHA violation? Dude's clearly rinsing the trays with clean water from the orange tub. Or do you just want to hang poo poo on people who don't have convenient access to running water?

Here we go again...

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons

Now I'm really hoping a truck full of expanding foam gets wedged under a bridge

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctdUYyNqopI

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Pile Of Garbage posted:

Did... a pile of garbage write this?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

do you understand the concept of soap

edit: oh nvm you're that goon who got really pissy because someone brought up something you forgot to mention, that explains a lot

Kith fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Mar 11, 2020

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I debated posting this in dangerous chem thread but I think it's good here too

https://twitter.com/parismartineau/status/1237758426547195910?s=20

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Pacra posted:

I debated posting this in dangerous chem thread but I think it's good here too

https://twitter.com/parismartineau/status/1237758426547195910?s=20

There is nowhere near enough ammonia in urine for that to matter.

E:oh, she writes for Wired. I shouldn’t be surprised she has no idea what she’s talking about.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Mar 11, 2020

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Even if someone had just finished pissing all over the floor when they poured the bleach on it, the amount of chlorine it would create (from the urea decomposing into ammonia) would be negligible in the volume of air you've got in a subway station.

The idea that bleach and urine make poison gas is based on the idea of someone pouring bleach into a toilet full of old piss in a small bathroom.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uK233oUMUsk

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Can we start an entire OSHA thread on Garda?

https://projects.tampabay.com/projects/2020/investigations/garda-world/armored-trucks/

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
:siren: "FIRE" AT THE SUNOCO REFINERY IN DELAWARE CITY :siren:

One of the burn-off stacks was going ham with a nice black cloud overhanging the facility. State police had the roads leading to the refinery blocked off several miles out. I'm sure whatever happened will pair nicely with the big fat safety violation fines they had to pay out last year... for a fire.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Asproigerosis posted:

One of the burn-off stacks was going ham with a nice black cloud overhanging the facility. State police had the roads leading to the refinery blocked off several miles out. I'm sure whatever happened will pair nicely with the big fat safety violation fines they had to pay out last year... for a fire.

Chris Coons sends his regards to the share holders.

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

Asproigerosis posted:

i don't remember this electric six track

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Sagebrush posted:

Even if someone had just finished pissing all over the floor when they poured the bleach on it, the amount of chlorine it would create (from the urea decomposing into ammonia) would be negligible in the volume of air you've got in a subway station.

The idea that bleach and urine make poison gas is based on the idea of someone pouring bleach into a toilet full of old piss in a small bathroom.

That and a subway tunnel isn't a sealed environment. There's a lot of air movement, so that negligible amount is also gonna get dispersed quickly.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

That and a subway tunnel isn't a sealed environment. There's a lot of air movement, so that negligible amount is also gonna get dispersed quickly.

To be fair, subway stations are essentially gigantic communal toilets, so it's easy to see how the mistake could be made.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

More than meets the eye.
https://i.imgur.com/tnbDUI0.mp4

Sex Skeleton
Aug 16, 2018

For when lonely nights turn bonely

That's actually a little known feature of 90's GMs that was marketed as "Auto-dump."

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Sex Skeleton posted:

That's actually a little known feature of 90's GMs that was marketed as "Auto-dump."

For the truck, or the driver?

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I just read this and holy poo poo. The executives of this company should (but won't) be ground into fine paste by our justice system

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

quote:

Bouquin also filed a whistleblower complaint with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration. The agency dismissed the complaint, ruling that Bouquin’s termination was part of an extensive reorganization.

It’s true that the company restructured. One of the changes was to eliminate the risk management department.

:guillotine:

Brute Hole Force
Dec 25, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dick Trauma posted:

For the truck, or the driver?

First one, then the other.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

As someone pointed out in another thread, those guys are probably packing up their stall for the day. One guy is rinsing the worst gunk from the plates and the other is counting money. Let's hope that the plates were washed properly before being used again, or they won't have many return customers.

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica

axolotl farmer posted:

Let's hope that the plates were washed properly before being used again, or they won't have many return customers.

hahahahahaha

Modest Mao
Feb 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
If you go visit about 20% of the world population you're going to be eating off plates like that come dinner time, water and sanitation are still a huge issue for humanity. 2 billion people don't have a toilet or latrine, including a million or so in the USA. 500,000 people poo poo themselves to death each year.

If there's no running water you either let food rot on the plate or wash it off with the water you have, I guess. These numbers are from the W.H.O.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Modest Mao posted:

If you go visit about 20% of the world population you're going to be eating off plates like that come dinner time, water and sanitation are still a huge issue for humanity. 2 billion people don't have a toilet or latrine, including a million or so in the USA. 500,000 people poo poo themselves to death each year.

If there's no running water you either let food rot on the plate or wash it off with the water you have, I guess. These numbers are from the W.H.O.

I'm always reminded to the peculiarly American illness of stomach Flu or 24 hour flu, which is just food poisoning. It's apparently the reason Americans think their food hygiene is good, they didn't catastrophically poo poo themselves because they don't know how to handle a lettuce, it was 24 hour flu!

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Half an hour after reading this post, I saw a vehicle designed to do this; some kind of car transport (pickup sized, for a single car).

It may have actually been something like this, but as I passed it it sure looked as if the front was tilted downward.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Yeast does not stop working because you throw it away.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

COVID-19 is evolving!

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
i stopped to admire some well done beading and the dude tried giving me his number because he thought i was flirting.

OSHA thread, thanks for almost getting me laid.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Sagebrush posted:

My boss once put bleach tabs into the urinals at work instead of the usual urinal mints. There may not be enough chlorine to kill you, but it's enough to make you cough like crazy.

stuxracer
May 4, 2006

Welding memes are awesome. Please share more

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

i stopped to admire some well done beading and the dude tried giving me his number because he thought i was flirting.

OSHA thread, thanks for almost getting me laid.

You need to post, like a lot less.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Modest Mao posted:

i watched a documentary about water issues in Jakarta and there was one part where people were washing their clothes and dishes in water as an unmistakable whole turd floated by along with a bunch of garbage. The state of water sanitation in much of the world is unimaginably bad for those of us lucky to come from first world countries.

Aramoro posted:

I'm always reminded to the peculiarly American illness of stomach Flu or 24 hour flu, which is just food poisoning. It's apparently the reason Americans think their food hygiene is good, they didn't catastrophically poo poo themselves because they don't know how to handle a lettuce, it was 24 hour flu!

i've heard people say this before and i tried to look up a scientific comparison of the rates of food borne illness in the USA vs EU. The basic summary is that the US population does seem to slightly higher rates of food poisoning than the EU, but the difference is so small it impossible to notice on the ground. And differences in the way statistics are collected in both regions means its hard to even say confidently that the difference is real, and it certainly not possible to recognize the difference based on personal experience and without some serious data analysis. As an American, I have never heard of the term "stomach Flu" used to mean food poisoning, and have only heard it used as a synonym for the regular flu. I have suffered severe food poisoning before, but not in the US so I fell capable of recognizing it, and I don't know of anyone who has contracted it in the USA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Squalid posted:

As an American, I have never heard of the term "stomach Flu" used to mean food poisoning, and have only heard it used as a synonym for the regular flu.

influenza very rarely produces gastrointestinal symptoms. when americans say they have a "stomach flu" or a "24-hour flu" they universally mean they woke up in the middle of the night with sudden vomiting or diarrhea. that is essentially always acute gastroenteritis, usually caused by contaminated food.

food poisoning doesn't have to last long; sometimes once you've shot it all out one end or another you're back to normal. what you're calling "severe food poisoning," the kind of thing that knocks you out for a week unable to keep anything down, is more likely to be a gastrointestinal infection like norovirus, salmonella, e. coli, etc.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 13, 2020

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
Viral gastroenteritis is colloquially referred to as the Stomach Flu according to the Mayo Clinic.

I just had a bought of it, so I'm recently refreshed on the term. Lasted a little less than a week.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Sagebrush posted:

influenza very rarely produces gastrointestinal symptoms. when americans say they have a "stomach flu" or a "24-hour flu" they universally mean they woke up in the middle of the night with sudden vomiting or diarrhea. that is essentially always acute gastroenteritis, usually caused by contaminated food.

food poisoning doesn't have to last long; sometimes once you've shot it all out one end or another you're back to normal. what you're calling "severe food poisoning," the kind of thing that knocks you out for a week unable to keep anything down, is more likely to be a gastrointestinal infection like norovirus, salmonella, e. coli, etc.

no, i meant the spent 12 hours vomiting kind of food poisoning, although i've also had the diarrhea for a week kind of infection too (not in USA). Vomiting and other gastrointestinal problems can absolutely be a thing with the flu, at least or especially for children. see some research on the issue. This fits with my experience with the flu, where as a child i remember vomiting being the most memorable symptom, but not one I have since experienced as an adult despite still occasionally getting the flu. The tendency for children to come down with these symptoms is always why I assumed people sometimes specified something as a 'stomach flu,' and also to distinguish their disease from severe colds or flus with mild symptoms.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
dont other cultures get around the no clean plates thing by having flat breads / their own version of a tortilla that they use to grab and eat food with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

I also spend a lot of time with sharp knives and have only made one real bad mistake. Worse part was I was a half mile or more back in a beaver flooding . And then once I got back to the car , about twenty mile drive with one hand to get back home wile trying to keep pressure on the cut. Still have nerve damage in my thumb !
https://i.imgur.com/QVfDz3U.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Qwchwk4.jpg

quote:

Yes it was down to the bone but thankfully just missed hitting the joint. The knife was contaminated with beaver blood (skin them where I catch them as one beaver can weigh 40-50 lbs) and I was also lucky there was no infection .