Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"

Ardryn posted:

Mine went to "Shipping Soon" about an hour ago.

VALVe time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

Goodguy3 posted:

VALVe timetm
ftfy

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Oh poo poo you guys made me check aaaaaand

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone tried VirZOOM? It's some kind of VR exercise bike app that includes a tracker you mount to your pedals.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone tried VirZOOM? It's some kind of VR exercise bike app that includes a tracker you mount to your pedals.

Giantbomb did a play through with it many years ago (when it was a whole bike). It looks neat but I don't think there is much content. If you already have a bike it looks like the clip on is $99 so might be worth trying as $99 is a drop in the bucket for most exercise stuff.

The lack of content isn't a big deal if you find something you like anyway, you only really need one exercise VR game to make it worth it.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-04152016/2300-11127/
(Requires Giant bomb premium).

Junk
Dec 20, 2003

Listen to reason, man. Why make your job difficult?

Bad Munki posted:

Oh poo poo you guys made me check aaaaaand

:cry:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'd still wager you're on track. If this change is just happening within the last few hours, it seems to indicate that anyone who says "processing" really did get in to the in-stock wave 1, as guessed. Congrats!

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Aww, boohoo.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Man the DAS on the Quest is night and day, I'm surprised the audio and strap the Quest ships is the final design they went with. It sucks rear end in every way and this is just so much better.

That said, I'm finally gonna play more VR but it Oculus Link seems a bit shakey for me. Is there anything I can do to mess with it to improve performance?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

Man the DAS on the Quest is night and day, I'm surprised the audio and strap the Quest ships is the final design they went with. It sucks rear end in every way and this is just so much better.

That said, I'm finally gonna play more VR but it Oculus Link seems a bit shakey for me. Is there anything I can do to mess with it to improve performance?

I get really obvious and constant reprojection artifacts in Dash with Link but not in actual applications. What hardware you rockin?

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I just got an e-mail mine was on its way, with tracking info. I was really hammering reload when the sale went up so I think I got in early, though.

If it matters, I just grabbed the controllers; going to use them with my Vive and the wireless adapter, since that was what Tested recommended for Vive owners.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

SCheeseman posted:

I get really obvious and constant reprojection artifacts in Dash with Link but not in actual applications. What hardware you rockin?

I've got an ROG Mothership with an i9 and desktop RTX 2080; I should be in the clear? Performance for anything running through steam is awful and I can't even launch into SteamVR without issues. Maybe it's the USB-C port I'm using or something? Not sure. I'll try just running stuff from the Oculus desktop app and see if it's any better.

I remember ALVR running a lot better than Link, is alpha5 the newest version? I want to try out wireless VR again to see if I have better performance.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Sweet can't wait for this but xxx

You guys remember that movie The Cell?

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Mar 11, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

sigher posted:

I've got an ROG Mothership with an i9 and desktop RTX 2080; I should be in the clear? Performance for anything running through steam is awful and I can't even launch into SteamVR without issues. Maybe it's the USB-C port I'm using or something? Not sure. I'll try just running stuff from the Oculus desktop app and see if it's any better.

I remember ALVR running a lot better than Link, is alpha5 the newest version? I want to try out wireless VR again to see if I have better performance.
Yeah that should be working fine. Whenever Link has been temperamental it's usually been either GPU drivers needing an update or SteamVR being fucky. For the latter, wiping out all SteamVR data could help, the guide here appears to have a good rundown.

I haven't used ALVR since buying Virtual Desktop, which I highly recommend.

I've messed with this, it's one of the Leap Motion demos I talked about in the OP. The hand tracking on the Quest still doesn't come close to what Leap was capable of, the UI mechanisms are a lot of fun to use.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Got my tracking number, and since my town is literally next to where it's shipping from, arrival date is today 🥳

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Mine changed from "Processing" to "Shipping Soon" sometime between 11 last night and 7 this morning :toot:

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Stick100 posted:

Giantbomb did a play through with it many years ago (when it was a whole bike). It looks neat but I don't think there is much content. If you already have a bike it looks like the clip on is $99 so might be worth trying as $99 is a drop in the bucket for most exercise stuff.

The lack of content isn't a big deal if you find something you like anyway, you only really need one exercise VR game to make it worth it.

https://www.giantbomb.com/videos/unprofessional-fridays-04152016/2300-11127/
(Requires Giant bomb premium).

Thanks for this, I don't currently have an exercise bike but have been considering getting one of the mounts to convert my road bike into one. This is seriously tempting, if I do take the plunge I'll be sure to update the thread.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_Cvkv-TNc

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Captain Hygiene posted:

Man I wish Beat Saber had a general demo. Everybody loves it but $30 is pretty steep to gamble when I'm lukewarm on regular rhythm games even if it might win me over in VR.

I DO NOT like rhythm games at all, none of them have grabbed me. I've played a lot of Guitar Hero, some DDR, Elite Beat Agents, none of them were more than "heh, thats kind of cool" for me.

I really like Beat Saber. Think of it more like a ninja simulator where cool music plays and less like your bog standard rhythm game. The first time you get into a track that really makes you dance, or even better, a track that is designed to make you do the dance from the song (looking at you Gangnam Style, Thriller and 24K Magic), it will really feel awesome.

Take it from someone who doesnt like any rhythm games: this rhythm game isnt like the rest

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I DO NOT like rhythm games at all, none of them have grabbed me. I've played a lot of Guitar Hero, some DDR, Elite Beat Agents, none of them were more than "heh, thats kind of cool" for me.

I really like Beat Saber. Think of it more like a ninja simulator where cool music plays and less like your bog standard rhythm game. The first time you get into a track that really makes you dance, or even better, a track that is designed to make you do the dance from the song (looking at you Gangnam Style, Thriller and 24K Magic), it will really feel awesome.

Take it from someone who doesnt like any rhythm games: this rhythm game isnt like the rest

The Eiffel 65 "Blue" remix is also really good for the use of Blue blocks.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry
Speaking of Beat Saber: I already own in on Oculus. Is the Revive experience on Valve Index good enough that I can keep using that copy or do I need to rebuy it on Steam?

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lowen SoDium posted:

The Eiffel 65 "Blue" remix is also really good for the use of Blue blocks.

Yes! Love that one. I do the blue sections with one arm behind my back to feel like a badass :reject:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Lowen SoDium posted:

Speaking of Beat Saber: I already own in on Oculus. Is the Revive experience on Valve Index good enough that I can keep using that copy or do I need to rebuy it on Steam?

Try it.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Lowen SoDium posted:

Revive is basically perfect, stick with what you have.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Yes! Love that one. I do the blue sections with one arm behind my back to feel like a badass :reject:

Same

Shine posted:

Try it.

I will. My Index hasn't shipped yet so I was hoping for other experiences and feedback.

Stick100 posted:

Revive is basically perfect, stick with what you have.

Thanks

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My index shipped, woo. Only going one state over so it should be here tomorrow, I’m stoked!

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

or even better, a track that is designed to make you do the dance from the song (looking at you Gangnam Style, Thriller and 24K Magic), it will really feel awesome.

I was laughing like an idiot playing Gangnam. It's really well set out.

I'll add Carpenter Bruts remix of Maniac to that list as well.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lowen SoDium posted:

Technically Revive will work, but native experiences are always MUCH better. Buy it on Steam.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
If you still have your Oculus, just install ReVive and run it through SteamVR. Nothing is stopping you from trying it.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Beat Saber does some things that makes me like it, even if usually normal arcade or rhythm things aren't my thing.

-It has a 'player life' system, where you can do badly and be hurt, and also recover if you do it well. It serves to allow for soft failure in the game, that makes it more interesting.
-It isn't simple high-score chasing, which would bore me, you can give yourself clean cut goals like 'beat the song' in Hard, later beat it in Expert, later 'reach rank S in Expert', etc.
-Them choosing the action of 'cutting a block' as method to hit the notes was a great choice. It really gives a great feel to the game, and it's something that people take for granted, other music games are weaker in how the player interaction is done.
-They also have enough variation in terms of the gameplay: blocks with vertical, horizontal and diagonal direction, directionless blocks, walls, blocks to avoid, crossed blue/red blocks, and then of course, how it's all composed as a full track.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

My 2 week wait on the Knuckles apparently was 2 days. I got my payment/shipping email today so things are humming along nicely. Remains to see what the actual shipping time will be. I got mine in a 10AM on the hour so I wonder if they were prioritizing one bundle configuration vs the other(s).

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Sup VR thread. I'm a big dumb doodoo and I impulse bought the Valve Index when it came back in stock on Monday. I wanted to get a PC VR headset of some sort for a while, so it works out, but I'd been putting it off due to having to figure out my room arrangement.

My PC workstation itself is set up in a relatively cramped space, not large enough to play room scale, but is directly overhead of the living room (mezzanine/loft setup) so I'll likely run cables down there and set the base stations as best as I can. But if I still want to be able to play sitting VR games at my desktop at some point, is it possible to set up a separate room using extra base stations?

Jan fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 11, 2020

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jan posted:

Sup VR thread. I'm a big dumb doodoo and I impulse bought the Valve Index when it came in stock on Monday. I wanted to get a PC VR headset of some sort for a while, so it works out, but I'd been putting it off due to having to figure out my room arrangement.

My PC workstation itself is set up in a relatively cramped space, not large enough to play room scale, but is directly overhead of the living room (mezzanine/loft setup) so I'll likely run cables down there and set the base stations as best as I can. But if I still want to be able to play sitting VR games at my desktop at some point, is it possible to set up a separate room using extra base stations?

Yep. Base stations do not connect to anything, they are a beacon and the ASICs inside the devices read them and figure out the tracking.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
Gangam style? Carpenter brut? All my beat Saber has is a bunch of poo poo I never heard off and all the dlc is that terrible imagine dargens band.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jan posted:

Sup VR thread. I'm a big dumb doodoo and I impulse bought the Valve Index when it came back in stock on Monday. I wanted to get a PC VR headset of some sort for a while, so it works out, but I'd been putting it off due to having to figure out my room arrangement.

Advanced Settings (google it) lets you set up multiple playspace profiles and switch between them easily. I don't see why it wouldn't work to run room setup in the living room, save the profile, then run setup at the workstation and save that profile. I could be overlooking some important detail, but that's a solution that comes to mind.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Gangam style? Carpenter brut? All my beat Saber has is a bunch of poo poo I never heard off and all the dlc is that terrible imagine dargens band.

Get custom tracks son drat

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

https://bsmg.wiki/

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Get custom tracks son drat

Imaging getting beat saber and not realizing theres 35,000 custom songs at your fingertips. Downloadable from within the game.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Unless you are on PSVR, in which case, have fun imagining dragons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

rage-saq posted:

Yep. Base stations do not connect to anything, they are a beacon and the ASICs inside the devices read them and figure out the tracking.

Shine posted:

Advanced Settings (google it) lets you set up multiple playspace profiles and switch between them easily. I don't see why it wouldn't work to run room setup in the living room, save the profile, then run setup at the workstation and save that profile. I could be overlooking some important detail, but that's a solution that comes to mind.

Alright, sounds good. I was thinking that even if it ends up connecting the two sets of disjoint stations into one big, two-floor room (which it is), as long as it treats wherever I reset the current position and doesn't freak out because it's not in perfect sight of other base stations, it ought to work. I suppose I'll find out for myself soon enough! :vrfrog: