Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I don't know if it's much better in the rest of the UK but I just realised they've only been testing around 10 people a day here in Northern Ireland

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HopperUK posted:

My mother is immune compromised and my 14-year-old niece only has one lung so I'm not really in the mood to be told that since I myself am unlikely to die of this, that I shouldn't worry. I'm worried for them.

If you are worried then maybe a good idea is to ask what can you do, practically, to help them? If the answer is "nothing" then there is nothing to be done. We can, and should, make things better for folks by washing hands, cleaning up, etc. I would never dream of arguing differently, but why are you worried if there is nothing you can do?

And what options could have been taken, does anyone know? Would it have had to be full testing for all, blocking off of airports, that type of thing?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Mar 11, 2020

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

my surviving gparents are both 80+ but my swedish grandma is a fatalist and is basically looking forward to dying of it because... she's quite the character and doesn't like being old

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Josef bugman posted:

If you are worried then maybe a good idea is to ask what can you do, practically, to help them? If the answer is "nothing" then there is nothing to be done. We can, and should, make things better for folks by washing hands, cleaning up, etc. I would never dream of arguing differently, but why are you worried if there is nothing you can do?

And what options could have been taken, does anyone know?

Refuse to sacrifice more lives on the altar of capitalism, shut down work, legislate mortgage waivers and similar, focus on ramping up care capacity, spend money to save lives. As always this is the government killing people because they would rather do that than upset the money.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Refuse to sacrifice more lives on the altar of capitalism, shut down work, legislate mortgage waivers and similar, focus on ramping up care capacity, spend money to save lives. As always this is the government killing people because they would rather do that than upset the money.

I wish they would have done that, but I supremely doubt that any government would do this, not least because of the sheer amount of disruption to everyone's lives it would cause. Would we have had mass giving out of food, closing all supermarkets and particular times for picking up food etc? That would have been cool and interesting though.

I'm sorry to be callous to people BTW, I don't mean to denigrate people who are suffering or nervous.

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Mar 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

All of those have been done by other governments in response to it.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

All of those have been done by other governments in response to it.

Fair enough then.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I, too, am disappointed that this is merely a severe virus rather than an apocalypse which totally upends human civilization.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

It's a loving flu, we'll get through it and some grannies will die and a few nurses will quit their NHS jobs in favour of the much less stressful cosmetic procedure industry. Life goes on whoop de doo.

It isn't loving flu. It isn't related to flu. It's a completely unrelated virus.

Yeah, it looks and acts a lot like flu - it's a respiratory infection, with symptoms and transmission methods basically the same as flu (apart from the fortnight of infectivity before you show symptoms) - but mislabelling it as flu seems dangerously misleading to me.

Firstly, most people already under-estimate the unpleasantness of flu. I think we all know people who complain they have the flu when at worst they just have a really rotten cold. Real flu knocks you out for a week or more.

Secondly, the diseases it's actually related to, are way nastier than flu. Seasonal flu has a sub-1% death rate, even in the olds. Spanish flu was like 3%. But Covid-19 isn't related to them, so those numbers aren't much of a guide.

What is Covid-19 related to? SARS. Which had a 9% death rate. And MERS. With a 36% death rate. Fortunately Covid-19 doesn't look anywhere near that high, but an off-hand comparison to flu means you're going to severely under-estimate how very deadly it could have been.

Thirdly - it means our existing vaccines and drugs aren't all that useful. We poo poo out a new flu vaccine every year, in millions and millions of doses. We don't have that kind of knowledge and experience for coronavirus, hence the long predicted timescale on getting a vaccine. Ditto antivirals. We have antivirals for flu (they're kinda rubbish) we don't for coronavirus.

This isn't just some pedantic "well, actually". Laymen aren't going to dig through the numbers, so if you call this flu they'll think "oh, i know how bad flu is, i can imagine how bad corona is". We have Trump having to be repeatedly shot down in meetings for trying to use the flu vaccine for this.

Sorry to jump down your throat - I've seen this in a lot of different places and it pisses me off.

minema
May 31, 2011
gently caress anyone responding to this with "oh but what about the flu that kills people and noone makes a fuss!?!?" You realise that's why the winter pressures on the NHS make headlines every year? You can't compare it to other causes of mortality, we don't know how high it'll go. It's like standing in a burning building saying WELL ONLY ONE PERSON DIED I DON'T SEE ANY REASON TO PANIC.

The NHS can't deal with the numbers of sick people this virus could cause if it gets a hold here. We have 4000 ICU beds in the country. They're at 80% occupancy on average.

Yes, panicking and stockpiling isn't the right idea but minimising the potential consequences of this is just uninformed.

And on a personal note, my parents, my husband's parents, and my best friend are all at high risk and wouldn't qualify for a ventilator if we became a North Italy level situation so forgive me if I seem a little angry.

The post above me is much more well evidenced and sourced and level headed, read that instead probably.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Sure it's technically a different family. Still, we're far from wagons rolling down the high street hollering "bring out your dead"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Because this is a civilized country, the dead go in the green garden waste bin and will be collected once every three to four weeks. If they will not fit in the bin you must call the council to arrange collection, any dead not correctly contained within the bin will not be collected and you may be liable for a fine of up to £250 for littering.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
By the army.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

OwlFancier posted:

Because this is a civilized country, the dead go in the green garden waste bin and will be collected once every three to four weeks.

food waste bin. you can’t put meat in the compost

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Because this is a civilized country, the dead go in the green garden waste bin and will be collected once every three to four weeks. If they will not fit in the bin you must call the council to arrange collection, any dead not correctly contained within the bin will not be collected and you may be liable for a fine of up to £250 for littering.

But the council charges me £25 for a special uplift now!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Cerv posted:

look at mr two bins here

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ThomasPaine posted:

Think I might defect to the people's republic

Your hybristophilia is mutating in exciting new ways, TP.

On a semi-related note, one thing Nadine Dorries did a day after first experiencing COVID-19 symptoms was attend an MP surgery near Lockheed Martin Ampthill, the company's largest and busiest facility. It's generally agreed that it's only a matter of time until the bug starts showing up among the workforce there.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I commend her commitment to both peaceful disarmament and Lords reform.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Regardless of what else Covid-19 gets up to I think we can all agree that striking down the Tory health minister was an extremely funny bit and it deserves recognition for that, at least.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

OwlFancier posted:

I've already resigned to the fact that I'm going to lose probably my only real friend over this so I'm just hoping it takes as many of the bastards who made that happen out as well. If I can't have justice I will gladly have vengeance.

How so? From an argument about it, or because you're refusing to go to a wedding or something? :P

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

How so? From an argument about it, or because you're refusing to go to a wedding or something? :P

IIRC Owl's good friend is elderly.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Am I right in thinking that if you aren't formally given (and then sign) a zero-hours contract then you're on an 'assumed contract'? So any staff who work, say, 40 hours on average over the last 12 weeks are assumed to be entitled to those hours in future?

My workplace has sprung on everyone that we're all on zero-hour contracts and I am 99% sure this is total bullshit.

I'm fully expecting the workplace to close entirely, absolutely no chance of anyone being able to work from home. That's 40 people, maybe with about 25 kids, plus some looking after parents, so let's call it 70 people that this will directly impact. But hey, it's "just the flu!".

edit: I mean close entirely due to lack of work due to Covid19, I give it till a week Friday myself. If the new advice which is rumoured for Sunday involves people over 65 not travelling then it'll be about six minutes after that.

duckmaster fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 11, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

IIRC Owl's good friend is elderly.

And has COPD, and diabetes, and immunocompromised, and I'm one of the few people around to look after her, and there is no way my job will stop and I won't get sick pay even if it does.

I am about 50% sure I'm going to kill her trying to keep her alive.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

And has COPD, and diabetes, and immunocompromised, and I'm one of the few people around to look after her, and there is no way my job will stop and I won't get sick pay even if it does.

Sorry Owl. xx

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
No but seriously when are they going to start shutting poo poo down? I feel like if we wait even a week longer it'll be too late.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Bardeh posted:

No but seriously when are they going to start shutting poo poo down? I feel like if we wait even a week longer it'll be too late.

I think it'll be a bit longer than that. I can tell you that visitor numbers are down across all museums, so we may see less infectious spread that way.

OwlFancier posted:

What is your job Owl? And how come it doesn't give sick pay? Alongside that, if this is anywhere near London I can try and help out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Sorry Owl. xx

Not your fault, I hope everyone here manages through it as best they can, that just does not extend to the bastards who put us in this situation.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

More locust plagues:

quote:

Desert Locust update: New swarms forming in Somalia and Kenya: Swarms hitting 20 countries spanning thousands of miles from the Western border of China to the Western coast of Africa Down the Horn of Africa to Tanzania

http://www.thebigwobble.org/2020/03/desert-locust-situation-update-new.html

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

My office finalised its work from home policy today so that's the last I'll see of my concept artist until things die down. She's a bit of a germophobe at the best of times but being from a Hong Kong Chinese family the story about the guy who had the poo poo kicked out of him for coughing while Asian seems to have really rattled her. I'm thinking I'll probably start working from home from Monday, less out of personal concern than just to save myself the hassle of sitting on the loving train for two hours a day. I'm really glad that I can work from home without too much trouble.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I have four gigs organised with my band in the next nine days, they're the last ones we're ever going to play, and if they get cancelled I'll be well annoyed.

Luckily there will probably be about ten people in the crowd for each one, so minimal infection risk.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Communist Thoughts posted:

my parents and my partner's parents will be in the "die in a hallway" category

I'm weirdly relieved my parents are both dead, because I'd have gone insane with worry around mid-Feb otherwise.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

sebzilla posted:

I have four gigs organised with my band in the next nine days, they're the last ones we're ever going to play, and if they get cancelled I'll be well annoyed.

Luckily there will probably be about ten people in the crowd for each one, so minimal infection risk.

will you be covering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlxmKsTvcLg

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Welp, i'm due to get married on the 28th March. My fiancée is starting to freak out because of the news today and one family of 4 have pulled out because they've got a child with prior respiratory issues.

I'm trying to calm her down because she's talking about not even bothering to reschedule it given all the effort it took to arrange the wedding so far, but i am a little apprehensive myself.

We luckily remembered to take out wedding insurance at the beginning of the week before they insurers shut their doors today, so i think we're covered if everything gets cancelled on us (though maybe not if we end up having to cancel it ourselves due to low numbers).

It's not even a big wedding really, just 70 folk during the day and topping out at 110 in the evening so i'm hoping it's not thought of as some big gathering by everybody that'll put them off coming.

Obviously we can't control what other people end up deciding they want to do, but is there anything i can mention about the virus to reassure her that things are likely to be fine.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Been getting sicker every day for a week and I know it's local.
Can't get tested tho!

Gonna quarantine anyway would just be very important to know if we loving have it or not

E thank gently caress we actually stockpiled for this unlike brexit though. Burning through medicine and looroll

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I'm weirdly relieved my parents are both dead, because I'd have gone insane with worry around mid-Feb otherwise.

My dad died a few years ago, my mum's early 80s. She is gung-ho about it all "I lived through the Blitz" (she was 2 when the war started and lived in one of the most bombed-to-heck parts of the Midlands so ok, let her off.). On the other hand she, like me, is very prone to respiratory conditions.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib
I'm immunocompromised. Please wash your hands.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Cerv posted:

You actually can if you have the right sort of compost bin. Recommend it.

WhatEvil posted:

E: Not a dig at you Bugman but this thread quite often reminds people of stuff like "These cuts/this recession will hit the poor, weak, disabled and disadvantaged the hardest, and people including some in this thread will die" - it's a bit of a shock to see people going "Ahhh it's only a virus, whatever".

FWIW I don’t think people are actively happy that their parents and grandparents might die, they’re just using gallows humour to cope with the fact - and finding the one positive, in that the tories will be in trouble if a large chunk of over 60s perish.

My own parents are sick, and father immune compromised, but I’m still able to think fondly about a future where the political tide is turned and we can fund our public services adequately again.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

My dad died a few years ago, my mum's early 80s. She is gung-ho about it all "I lived through the Blitz" (she was 2 when the war started and lived in one of the most bombed-to-heck parts of the Midlands so ok, let her off.). On the other hand she, like me, is very prone to respiratory conditions.

As the thread knows my mum died in January. I feel I have mostly recovered from the shock of that, though I do have mother's day in two weeks time to contend with. My dad though is still, I think, horribly shaken. He's 68 and although he doesn't have underlying conditions, I'm still worried, and thankfully he's been taking my advice fairly seriously. Trouble is he has started going back to work, to keep busy (he doesn't need the money) and guess what he does: carry coffins at funerals. Potential exposure to a lot of people. I've told him to stop taking any more shifts.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm probably in one of the at risk groups. I keep getting those "you are eligible for a free flu jab" things every winter. Not worrying though, not least because stress lowers your immune function, which seems like a bad idea.

The 24/7 CORONAROLLACOASTER news coverage is probably doing more harm than good in that regard.

Also because mass panic kills, and mass panic takes hold when enough people hit a base level of worry, so it's like licking your hands in that regards. Just going to take sensible precautions.

Stocked up on 95% ethyl alcohol though so I can make hand sanitizer because of all the loving panic buying. Also maybe get shitfaced if we all end up on lockdown.

Am slightly worried about Priti Patel doing something loving stupid like getting the army to fire .22s into crowds because her apartheid friends said it's non lethal.

Communist Thoughts posted:

E thank gently caress we actually stockpiled for this unlike brexit though. Burning through medicine and looroll
lol it was u that bought it all

wooger posted:

You actually can if you have the right sort of compost bin. Recommend it.
What bin can I put people in without getting questions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
And yeah, let's cut out the boomerpocalypse stuff. That's fine in CSPAM but this thread ought to be better. I myself was doing that poo poo earlier, but in retrospect it wasn't funny then and it isn't now either.