Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
Just got to listen to my CHUD coworker explain to his daughter that his whole Corona virus thing is a fake hysteria and they don't need to take any precautions. She is coming home from Europe tomorrow. :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

golden bubble posted:

Since Harvey is 67, I'm glad he got what's effectively a life sentence.

How long until Trump Pardons him??

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Flikken posted:

How long until Trump Pardons him??

Can't, state conviction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

mlmp08 posted:

What you’re describing is a tactic to do some mix of either lying, lying by omission and refusal to engage (often wise), or by attempting to appeal to people who are not actually single-issue.

“I’m pro-choice, but I won’t make
that a major issue,” does not win over hardcore single-issue anti-choice voters.

“Look, I want to talk about jobs,” in response to being asked about government abortion law is a misdirection that amounts to lying by omission if directly asked about a stance on choice. It might be a wise move, but it falls in the category of being coldly dishonest for your perceived political greater good, which is not a bad idea!

Maaaaybe it could work to say “aw, shucks that darn SCOTUS!” But that is 95%+ of the time a way to pass the buck and refuse to answer with honestly about one’s views or plans.

Single issue voters who are truly single issue are best just ignored in the scheme of things, because the only way to get their vote is either to agree with them, be dishonest with them, or maybe to be the “least worst” left over candidate for them. There are places a Democrat can be “least worst,” but something like abortion rights isn’t it.

You say "I'm not going to take your guns" and keep walking.

He didn't say that, and I'm saying right now that he'll never get the opportunity to actually go through with it. We'll see how long this gaffe lingers.

Fister Roboto posted:

Look, I'm not saying that you shouldn't vote for Biden. I'm saying that you shouldn't say you will definitely vote for Biden (or against Trump) no matter what. Do you understand the difference? It's about bargaining for a better platform. You don't start bargaining by saying "I'll give you whatever you want no matter what".

You haven't even OPENED your Democrat's Handbook.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Mar 11, 2020

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Can't, state conviction.
I AM THE STATE
*But stated much less eloquently

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Bernie recap:

https://twitter.com/jaketapper/status/1237787780182392832?s=19

https://twitter.com/evanmcmurry/status/1237788965370986497?s=19

If Biden doesn't sundown during remaining debates (Sunday's a big one), might be a repeat of 2016 where Bernie withdraws after, and only after, all states vote in the primary.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Pick which of these seems like a worse sign and it sort of tells you how hosed up things are:

https://twitter.com/cspan/status/1237771799087263746?s=19

https://twitter.com/sfchronicle/status/1237792392800907264?s=19

https://twitter.com/paigereports_/status/1237791171885142017?s=19

https://twitter.com/JakeSherman/status/1237787060339081216?s=19

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

All signs are starting to point to no Goonysburg :(

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

facialimpediment posted:

Pick which of these seems like a worse sign and it sort of tells you how hosed up things are:

https://twitter.com/paigereports_/status/1237791171885142017?s=19

Morning formations at JBLM are still on though I bet.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

The biggest thing I have against Biden running is that he clearly has some sort of brain disease going on just like Trump. Thing is, voters don't seem to care if Trump has the issue. It will absolutely be all anyone talks about with Biden.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

GoGoGadget posted:

The biggest thing I have against Biden running is that he clearly has some sort of brain disease going on just like Trump. Thing is, voters don't seem to care if Trump has the issue. It will absolutely be all anyone talks about with Biden.

Being Terminally Online is going to distort that, since while it's what a lot of Leftist Twitter and the forums talk about, it's not a concern I've heard echoed very much in real life.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

facialimpediment posted:

If Biden doesn't sundown during remaining debates (Sunday's a big one), might be a repeat of 2016 where Bernie withdraws after, and only after, all states vote in the primary.

Why shouldn't every American be allowed to cast the vote in the Primaries? It's extremely undemocratic to quit when less than half the States have voted.

That said, I live in a red state so I don't have to worry about voting for Biden, though I will show up to vote against Joni Ernst.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

A Bad Poster posted:

Morning formations at JBLM are still on though I bet.

I wonder if I can convince my commander to cancel drill for the duration...

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

SimonCat posted:

Why shouldn't every American be allowed to cast the vote in the Primaries? It's extremely undemocratic to quit when less than half the States have voted.

That said, I live in a red state so I don't have to worry about voting for Biden, though I will show up to vote against Joni Ernst.

Because he needs to drop out and endorse Biden so that he can get a position in his cabinet.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Woofer posted:

Because he needs to drop out and endorse Biden so that he can get a position in his cabinet.

I could see him as Secretary of HUD.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

All signs are starting to point to no Goonysburg :(

If it makes you feel any better, my wife and I are postponing our honeymoon by at least six months.

Fuckin’ coronavirus.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Woofer posted:

he will get nothing, not least because everyone knows he will campaign for Biden anyway. he has no leverage.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

SimonCat posted:

The operating assumption of the "drop out now" crowd is that every minute of Biden-Sanders attacking each other is a minute that they're not either attacking Trump or tooling up to attack Trump in the general. Every dollar spent on same is another dollar not spent in putting together a general election infrastructure.

I don't agree - as Obama has said, a bruising primary makes the nominee better. Plus, ol' Sleepy Joe needs as much debate experience as he can get. Even if his debate performances are lovely - that's just bonus rope-a-dope for the general debates! Plus, in said primary debates, Bernie can pull his rear end left and get Biden closer to pulling across the Bernouts in the general.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

Doc Hawkins posted:

he will get nothing, not least because everyone knows he will campaign for Biden anyway. he has no leverage.

There are still a few demographics that could help Biden and it would help bring a left voice into the administration.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Woofer posted:

Why would you give up being a senator for a cabinet position that you'd probably not be able to run like a fiefdom in a D admin?

Woofer
Mar 2, 2020

Defenestrategy posted:

Why would you give up being a senator for a cabinet position that you'd probably not be able to run like a fiefdom in a D admin?

It was a joke poking fun at everyone else who did it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Woofer posted:

It was a joke poking fun at everyone else who did it.

Sorry, I've heard my coworkers and other people say something like this for both Warren and Bernie, without realizing both are way more useful in congress than in the executives if they aren't running it.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

ive been hearing people say their managers have a deadline of making sure everyone who can wfm is by 3/12 at my work (insurance industry). we have armies of actuaries so hearing a hard date set like that was somewhat forboding

i've worked from home now for 8 years and havent seen my boss face to face since obama was president. im more and more glad for that now.

You need to hop in the discord so we can play fight man games together. You dropped off the face of the planet and I was worried about you.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

In COVID-19 news, FSU will have remote classes only for the two weeks following spring break.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Suicide Watch posted:

If you're in a deep blue state, sure vote for Harambe or someone. But don't skip on the down ballot

wisconsin (lol what a reveal after your subsequent posts) and milwaukee in particular wrap up the local stuff in april. since i worked on some of those campaigns I will certainly be voting in those

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I disagree that fighting it out to the convention is a good idea for Sanders and the party as a whole, for a couple of reasons.

First, and most importantly, it takes a huge amount of time and money away from the general. Every dollar that Biden and Sanders spend against each other is a dollar that's not going towards the general election and, more importantly, downballot races—while Trump and the Republicans are actively accruing as much cash as possible. Don't forget: the last primaries aren't until June. That's three more months of travel, rallies, advertising, staffing, and a huge number of other expenses just to make a point in a primary that's already been lost.

Second, the party needs time to recover from the primary. It's been an extremely tough and bitter fight, but it's impossible to begin to mend ties while the primary is ongoing. This was extremely apparent in 2016, when there were a number of scuffles and protests among Sanders delegates and supporters, some of whom were still holding out hope that the Superdelegates would give Sanders the nomination. By ending the primary sooner rather than later, it allows time and distance to diminish hot tempers and bitterness between the campaign and supporters, as well as reconciliation efforts between campaigns.

Third, Sanders will never have more leverage than he does right now. Both campaigns are very well aware of the two points I mentioned above, and how damaging it could be for Sanders to continue his campaign—especially if he began tacking more sharply negative against Biden. In addition, Sanders has a huge stack of cash and a massive fundraising and volunteer network that Biden's campaign desperately is going to want access to for the general election. Sanders is therefore well-posed to demand concessions on a number of issues in the party platform, as well as convention speakers and perhaps even positions in the Biden administration in return for ending his campaign and transferring money into the overall victory fund. But the longer his campaign goes on, the harder it's going to be to demand those same concessions—and the more bitter the rest of the Democratic Party is going to be at him for wasting time and money that would be better spent preparing for the general.

Fourth and finally, with COVID-19 spreading like wildfire... it's probably not the best idea to encourage the most reliable, dedicated and (often) elderly Democratic voters to gather in public polling places for the purposes of casting ballots in an effectively settled primary.

With all that said, I think Sanders is perfectly justified in trying to fight it out at least one more week, so he can debate Biden 1 on 1 and compete in the next batch of primaries. But next week also looks really bad for him, and Florida's vote in particular could be enough to give Biden a lead even more insurmountable than the one he already has. After that, the next significant batches of Primaries are on April 4th (Alaska, Hawaii, Louisiana, Wyoming), which really isn't going to swing anything, and then finally on April 28 (Connecticut, Delaware, Maryland, New York, Pennsylvania, and Rhode Island), with Wisconsin in-between. Some of those states are more friendly to Sanders, but by then he'd have to win them by utterly staggering margins just to stay competitive, let alone take the lead... and that's also a whole drat month and a half away.

So, yeah, depending on how bad next Tuesday is for him, I think its best for Sanders to accept he's going to have to drop, for the good of his party and for his movement. He's still got a lot of power and leverage, and his time and energy will now be best spent forcing Biden onto a more progressive platform with a (much) more progressive VP. (i.e. not Tim Kaine Hillary what were you thinking)

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Bernie isn't going to hand over his doner network, that his campaign built from scratch, because they were shut out by the party previously. If I got a solicitation for a donation from Joe-loving-Biden because of donations to Bernie I would be loving pissed.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
Also speaking of the Senate, people really need to start donating to Ed Markey since he's currently in danger of being primaried by a loving Kennedy that's running to his right, and it would really suck to lose one of the architects of the Green New Deal before we even have a chance to blow it in Congress.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

UMN system is going to remote classes through at least the middle of next week.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Vasudus posted:

Bernie isn't going to hand over his doner network, that his campaign built from scratch, because they were shut out by the party previously. If I got a solicitation for a donation from Joe-loving-Biden because of donations to Bernie I would be loving pissed.

Oh yeah I don't think Sanders would ever actually turn over his donor lists, even regular-rear end campaigns don't normally do that IIRC.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Oh yeah I don't think Sanders would ever actually turn over his donor lists, even regular-rear end campaigns don't normally do that IIRC.
If you're Newt Gingrich you sell your list to email/telemarketing scammers.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

if only we were all related to biden we could have done coke and gotten kicked out with no repercussions lol

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
I fully support Bernie if he wants to use the money contributed to him and his apparatus to support and fund progressive candidates and policies. I will be pissed as hell if he gives a dime of it to Joe Biden.

I donated to Bernie in part because he did not take donations from billionaires and their PACs. Biden has enough rich friends he doesn't need my money.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I don't think that playing nice is going to get the left anything of what they want. It's exactly like trying to work with the Republicans, if you're naive enough to think that they'll play fair, then they'll just take you for a ride. Sanders needs to demonstrate that Biden falls short on many issues, and that there's a huge portion of the Democratic electorate that probably won't vote for him if those aren't addressed.

You might have a point if Biden was winning in a landslide, but he's not. Bernie probably won't win but he still has a strong position, and he'd be a fool to surrender that.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Mar 11, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
There's no compromising or middle anymore. poo poo is all out war and the GOP figured this out awhile ago. You can't keep saying gently caress you and your ideals to the leftists and youth who turn out then loving blame them for everything and expect they'll just fall in line. Let's see Joe actually loving demonstrate he's about changing anything not just this Boomer Approved Bluh Bluh Bluh Trump bullshit

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Fister Roboto posted:

You might have a point if Biden was winning in a landslide, but he's not. Bernie probably won't win but he still has a strong position, and he'd be a fool to surrender that.

Define landslide, cause he lost Michigan to Biden by double digits. By all accounts, that's a loving landslide.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
But the youth doesn't vote so that argument is poo poo.

maffew buildings posted:

There's no compromising or middle anymore. poo poo is all out war and the GOP figured this out awhile ago. You can't keep saying gently caress you and your ideals to the leftists and youth who turn out then loving blame them for everything and expect they'll just fall in line. Let's see Joe actually loving demonstrate he's about changing anything not just this Boomer Approved Bluh Bluh Bluh Trump bullshit

Also the gop figured it out with the racist rear end teaparty so....

bird cooch fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 11, 2020

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Youth who turn out put the loving reading glasses back on. Thanks for always being here to explain to us why we are thinking wrong

Thay was pretty aggressive, should I go join your employees in time out?

maffew buildings fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Mar 11, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
After months of Sanders spam you're going to get a little push back when the bubble pops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

IT is suggesting we all try working from home tomorrow to make sure our remote capacity is up to the challenge. I kind of feel like my boss is going to insist I come in.