Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS DO YOU EVEN ASK QUESTIONS IN THE INTERVIEW OR WHAT

i can understand wanting to leave the old place so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

The Iron Rose posted:

Honestly, it's a big shame so many people in IT are introverts. Nobody talks to each other!
Here's the difference with my team; they non-stop talk to each other and constantly argue about stupid bullshit, absolutely anything anyone says will be turned into a pun or joke, and they are loving terrible communicating anything business related as it either results in radio silence/unsent E-mails/or incoherent mumbles.

I've been home today and the silence is loving glorious.

However apparently one of our sites is closing next week "as a test", here's the rub...
- Our VPN infra requires certificates to authenticate
- Windows devices are fine, they automatically get certs pushed to them
- Half of this office uses Mac equipment
- Although we have Jamf it only has a barebones setup
- Macs are not fine, they dont get certs :allears:

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Super Slash posted:

Here's the difference with my team; they non-stop talk to each other and constantly argue about stupid bullshit, absolutely anything anyone says will be turned into a pun or joke, and they are loving terrible communicating anything business related as it either results in radio silence/unsent E-mails/or incoherent mumbles.

However apparently one of our sites is closing next week "as a test", here's the rub...

Also Mac's don't support certs that are valid for 10 years. I think it's anything valid for more than three, but I'm not certain. That breaks a lot of garbage self signed certs that companies make because NO ONE ON EARTH UNDERSTANDS CERTIFICATES

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Super Slash posted:

I've been home today and the silence is loving glorious

Terrible communication skills applies equally to both extroverts and introverts. Your team's behaviour has nothing to do with being talkative.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Super Slash posted:

it's super trivial to deploy certs with a MDM, you can set this up yourself in 15 minutes

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Jamf lover, reporting in

I fuckin love jamf

Although it's only as good as the sysadmin you have owning it

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also Mac's macOS Catalina doesn't support certs that are valid for 10 years. I think it's anything valid for more than three, but I'm not certain. That breaks a lot of garbage self signed certs that companies make because NO ONE ON EARTH UNDERSTANDS CERTIFICATES

FTFY

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Also macOS Catalina don't support certs that are valid for 10 years. I think it's anything valid for more than three, but I'm not certain. That breaks a lot of garbage self signed certs that companies make because NO ONE ON EARTH UNDERSTANDS CERTIFICATES

lol if your enterprise approved catalina for upgrade

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Pacra posted:

Well see there's the problem :v:

I did look into it myself and figured it was maybe a case of setting up Jamf AD CS Connector and other sorts, but it seems my Jamf account is pretty limited anyway so it was a non-starter if I can't configure much.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

Super Slash posted:

Well see there's the problem :v:

I did look into it myself and figured it was maybe a case of setting up Jamf AD CS Connector and other sorts, but it seems my Jamf account is pretty limited anyway so it was a non-starter if I can't configure much.

You could ask for higher permissions to take over lower-tier work that the admin doesn't want to do (probably almost everything), and slowly take over the environment and responsibilities from the inside out :ssj:

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
We use jamf plus securew2 for automating mac cert rotations every 30 days

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Pacra posted:

lol if your enterprise approved catalina for upgrade

There's no choice if you want one of the new 16" MacBook Pros, as far as I know. Catalina only.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Anyone here have/heard experience working for Auth0?

This is my first time looking at a company that is not in my region and I'm not able to just go ask a friend of a friend.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

The Fool posted:

Anyone here have/heard experience working for Auth0?

This is my first time looking at a company that is not in my region and I'm not able to just go ask a friend of a friend.

A friend of mine just joined and they're having a great time. My interactions with their engineers have been good as well.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Is anyone else actually getting poo poo done at work this week? I have done nothing at all today besides talk about COVID-19, attend meetings about COVID-19, discuss WFH logistics with my boss, fellow team members, other teams, post on Slack about what other schools in the state are doing about COVID-19, make gallows humor about COVID-19, update KB articles about COVID-19, and just generally feel stressed out about COVID-19. We are the largest university in the state and no decision has been made yet whether we are moving to a virtual instruction model even though all other major universities have today announced they will. We all know it's going to happen but are sitting on our hands waiting for the announcement. Arghh.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Jeoh posted:

A friend of mine just joined and they're having a great time. My interactions with their engineers have been good as well.

That's good to hear. I looked on Glassdoor and everything was so positive I was getting suspicious.

One of their recruiters reached out to me a couple weeks ago and I had an initial call with them this morning. Everything felt really positive and the call ended with the expectation that they'd be scheduling me for the next stage in 2-3 days.

It's weird, over the last 2 weeks I've gone from barely caring that they exist to being legitimately excited to have an opportunity to work for them.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

CLAM DOWN posted:

Terrible communication skills applies equally to both extroverts and introverts. Your team's behaviour has nothing to do with being talkative.

So much this. You can never escape people who haven't figure out how to get ideas across in a reasonable manner. At my job the favorite method is "have Chubbs play 20 questions with me".

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Sirotan posted:

Is anyone else actually getting poo poo done at work this week? I have done nothing at all today besides talk about COVID-19, attend meetings about COVID-19, discuss WFH logistics with my boss, fellow team members, other teams, post on Slack about what other schools in the state are doing about COVID-19, make gallows humor about COVID-19, update KB articles about COVID-19, and just generally feel stressed out about COVID-19. We are the largest university in the state and no decision has been made yet whether we are moving to a virtual instruction model even though all other major universities have today announced they will. We all know it's going to happen but are sitting on our hands waiting for the announcement. Arghh.

Turns out all the work I did setting everyone in the company up with Zoom and being 100% SaaS with no on-prem infrastructure paid off! It dawned on everyone that they can just stay home with no impact at all.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I am so sick of hearing about COVID-19. You can't just magic solutions out of thin air with 0 notice. I'm sorry your business continuity plan didn't consider something like this and I get that you want 100% productivity while making no sacrifices and spending no money, but I honestly don't loving care.

Top it all off with the state of healthcare in this country and the way the primary is going and I just don't loving care about the fake "well it looks like we're doing something" bullshit.

At this point it's like trying to stop the normal flu. Good luck with that without any sweeping societal changes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Internet Explorer posted:

You can't just magic solutions out of thin air with 0 notice. I'm sorry your business continuity plan didn't consider something like this and I get that you want 100% productivity while making no sacrifices and spending no money, but I honestly don't loving care.

So much this. Also people who think business continuity planning and documenting is the sole job of IT.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I am so sick of hearing about COVID-19. You can't just magic solutions out of thin air with 0 notice. I'm sorry your business continuity plan didn't consider something like this and I get that you want 100% productivity while making no sacrifices and spending no money, but I honestly don't loving care.

Top it all off with the state of healthcare in this country and the way the primary is going and I just don't loving care about the fake "well it looks like we're doing something" bullshit.

At this point it's like trying to stop the normal flu. Good luck with that without any sweeping societal changes.

Same. gently caress.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Welp they finally announced all classes canceled for the next 2 days, resuming Monday in "alternative" (remote) formats until April 21. All gathers of more than 100 people canceled. All study abroad canceled.

No directives yet for staff. :geno:

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
Two of our sites have had confirmed Covid cases. Still not been told to work from home. Great management.

also big lols: our always on vpn server has never had more than like 3 people on it concurrently. Pretty sure it'll instantly die if even 10% of the 2.5k laptops we have try to connect. Also 2020 and still no org wide chat.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I have a feeling there's going to be a lot of places re-configuring their VPN to allow split tunneling in the next two weeks.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Currently overhearing a conversation about our VPN and VDI solutions and it sounds great.

I've been planning on moving our VDI over from Hroizon cloud to Azure Windows Virtual Desktop, persistent to non-persistent and just haven't been allowed to make it a priority yet. I have a feeling it'll be a priority shortly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

gently caress VPNs, trusted networks are the devil, cloud only for life

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have one lob application left that people need the vpn for. Everything else can be done from anywhere with a web browser as long as they have the ms authenticator app on their phone.

Only one department uses this application, so I only have to worry about 14 users on my VPN.

Our biggest concern is being able to process checks in the event our building is closed, so we're setting up a micr printer at a remote site for that purpose.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:same:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Sirotan posted:

No directives yet for staff. :geno:

:same:

You'd think, considering current developments, that it would be prudent to perhaps involve IT in planning so people can do their work remotely. But, as usual, nobody seems to consider involving IT in this, so when the state ministry decides to close the university they'll be shocked that nothing was prepared.

I don't feel like wildly implementing things like a headless chicken when there's a good chance they'll never be used.

So, so far, only select few people have VPN access, and only two people (colleague and me) have "backdoor" access via ssh tunneling over a bastion host.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

On the flip side, we were on our weekly team meeting with our manager and he asked if any of us were feeling impacted by COVID-19. To a person we were "We work 80-100% remote normally so this isn't anything different."

The only impact is setting up office hours with our customers and helping them figure out their Teams/Zoom/WebEx poo poo so we can set up virtual office hours. My customer today forgot to set the meeting to unmoderated so I sat there with a "waiting for someone to let you into the meeting" message for twenty minutes while trying to get a hold of her to change the setting.

#WeWillRebuild

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
We are predominantly cloud with not a lot of on-prem stuff left thankfully and that’s already set up through zScaler. However, our technicians provide support services to hospitals so staffing is probably gonna be a real challenge soon!

Umbreon
May 21, 2011
I feel like I'm stuck in a self sustaining loop. My job is boring as poo poo and 95% of it is making phone calls and sending emails. I want to change career paths, but I have no idea what I want to do, and I don't see how I can get a feel for anything else besides what I've been doing so far(NOC Engineer).

Has anyone ever had this issue before? If so, how did you deal with it?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Umbreon posted:

I feel like I'm stuck in a self sustaining loop. My job is boring as poo poo and 95% of it is making phone calls and sending emails. I want to change career paths, but I have no idea what I want to do, and I don't see how I can get a feel for anything else besides what I've been doing so far(NOC Engineer).

Has anyone ever had this issue before? If so, how did you deal with it?

cloud certs were the singular item that got me out of helpdesk

Everyone says certs don’t matter but they’re all men who don’t need to work 120% for the same recognition

J
Jun 10, 2001

Our VPN setup right now is equipped to handle maybe 40% of the company trying to work remote. 30% of the company have jobs that aren't doable remotely, and the remaining 30% have jobs that can be done remotely, but they are so technologically illiterate that I'm not sure they could work remote regardless of how much we tried to hold their hand. And we sure as poo poo don't have anywhere near enough laptops to give out to cover any sort of significant increase in WFH demand, and there is no loving chance the management would buy any to fill that need. They are mostly conservative boomers who are loudly in the "It's just a flu bro" camp.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Pacra posted:

Jamf lover, reporting in

I fuckin love jamf

Amen to that, it's generally amazing. OS deployments are right PIA, but I don't see how you avoid that. It really needs to be able to do whitelisting of apps running as admin or SOMETHING, I dunno.

Pacra posted:

Ah poo poo, that's me -_-

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

J posted:

Our VPN setup right now is equipped to handle maybe 40% of the company trying to work remote. 30% of the company have jobs that aren't doable remotely, and the remaining 30% have jobs that can be done remotely, but they are so technologically illiterate that I'm not sure they could work remote regardless of how much we tried to hold their hand. And we sure as poo poo don't have anywhere near enough laptops to give out to cover any sort of significant increase in WFH demand, and there is no loving chance the management would buy any to fill that need. They are mostly conservative boomers who are loudly in the "It's just a flu bro" camp.

They'll be the first ones to work from home for "other reasons" of course.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Good day to be in VPN sales (I'm not)

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I deployed 80 Citrix servers today what about ya'll?

Umbreon
May 21, 2011

The Iron Rose posted:

cloud certs were the singular item that got me out of helpdesk

Everyone says certs don’t matter but they’re all men who don’t need to work 120% for the same recognition

Which ones did you get/what did you start with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

cr0y posted:

I deployed 80 Citrix servers today what about ya'll?

My boss forced me to figure out who is torrenting on the network and narc on them.