Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I strongly doubt a corbyn government would not be pushing for much stronger responses and gently caress capital.

Though they would also have the press screaming about stalinism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

hemale in pain posted:

I wonder what a labour governments response would be instead. Part of me thinks probably not that much different but maybe it'll turn out people literally voted for death without knowing it.

The Irish gov have temporarily raised their equivalent of statutory sick pay to ~€300/week, so I'd imagine something like that and extending it to everyone to start with.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

they're not really in the mood to rush things though, draft up some legislation for next week we've got plenty of time

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good
https://twitter.com/BNODesk/status/1237898604812980224

Finally, BREXIT pays off! We ain't part of no stinkin' union.

Stolen from the Corona thread, if anyone was wondering how our testing compared to the US (who are hosed) and actual competent countries:

EDIT: Holy poo poo this Trump press conference. No travel OR SHIPPING from the European Union for a month. Does not apply to the UK. Brexit coming up roses!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Communist Thoughts posted:

the asian countries that actually know what they're doing are all wearing masks and ppe whenever they're outside.
presumably since they're from countries that take it seriously they have this stuff already or are given it.

my own experience dealing with the gov advice and phonelines on this is that its basically every man for himself as the government actively tries to get as many people infected as possible before doing anything

i dunno if i gave the thread an update but me and my gf both have all the main symptoms and have been sick for a week and are going from cold symptoms to shortness of breath and dry coughs etc, hopefully not roni but it is here community spreading in our location.

i've called 111, i've gone online, i've called scotlands special non-111 coronavirus helpline. ofc we aren't getting any tests but they also aren't even advising us to stay indoors ffs

yeah this is absolutely the case, the government isn't doing poo poo

Oh if you do have symptoms that's different, sorry. Anyway here's an article about the mask hoarding though:

Masks can't stop the coronavirus in the US, but hysteria has led to bulk-buying, price-gouging and serious fear for the future

quote:

(CNN)Panic over the novel coronavirus is hitting a fever pitch in the US. And despite repeated pleas from health officials not to purchase them, Americans can't stop snatching up masks and respirators.

The mask boom has prompted sellers to jack up prices and exploit demand. This has meant a shortage for medics who need them. And Chinese Americans are buying in bulk to send to their families overseas.

"We need to make sure those N95 masks are available for the doctors and nurses that are going to be taking care of individuals that have this illness," Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Director Robert Redfield said during a House Foreign Affairs hearing on Thursday. "And it really does displease me, to find people going out, there is no role for these masks in the community."

Americans don't need masks. They buy them because they're scared

To be clear once again, Americans don't need masks. The CDC says that healthy people in the US shouldn't wear them because they won't protect them from the novel coronavirus.

In fact, warns US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams, face masks might actually increase your risk of infection if they aren't worn properly.

But medical workers who treat patients with novel coronavirus do need them. And, the CDC says, it's crucial that those supplies don't run out.

When it comes to hysteria and panic, though, reason takes a backseat.

"This is a psychological thing," Dr. William Schaffner, a professor of preventive medicine at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine, told CNN. "The coronavirus is coming, and we feel rather helpless. By getting masks and wearing them, we move the locus of control somewhat to ourselves."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The government is too worried about public "fatigue" from having to do stuff (or not do stuff) for too long to realise that a full stop for 2-3 weeks now will do a lot more good than a full stop for 2-3 weeks in another week or so due to how this thing grows.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

hemale in pain posted:

I wonder what a labour governments response would be instead. Part of me thinks probably not that much different but maybe it'll turn out people literally voted for death without knowing it.

Antisemitism. Corbyn would blame the virus on the Jews and then lead to pogroms. Truly an evil man

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

In our hospital doctors with direct prolonged contact (including being vomited on) with patients with proven Covid, without masks etc (not originally suspected cases) have been explicitly told that unless they become symptomatic they are not to be tested and to continue working.

Lol. Lmao.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

If you are trying to contain it, that's a terrible idea. If you assume the worst is going to happen anyway, that's perfectly reasonable. All the hospitals in the worst hit parts of Italy follow that policy, because they need any doctor they can get right now, and drat the consequences.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Private Speech posted:

Oh if you do have symptoms that's different, sorry. Anyway here's an article about the mask hoarding though:

Masks can't stop the coronavirus in the US, but hysteria has led to bulk-buying, price-gouging and serious fear for the future

yeah no worries, fwiw i wouldn't trust the CDC to tell you anything useful either though. they seem to have been mostly ordered to make poo poo up

i think its 100% true that everyone having masks wont help much, since they are only useful if you use them right
but otoh if you use them right they are better protection than nothing, especially if paired with goggles and gloves afaik, and also if you're sick they help you not spread stuff.

shortages for medical staff is a definite problem though so i don't feel great about it, but they seem like they're not being given adequate PPE anyway regardless
obviously the best scenario is that healthcare workers have masks but so does everyone else and they know how to use them
i do find the "masks dont prevent coronavirus, and we need them to prevent our healthcare workers getting coronavirus" kinda funny though

Juche Couture posted:

In our hospital doctors with direct prolonged contact (including being vomited on) with patients with proven Covid, without masks etc (not originally suspected cases) have been explicitly told that unless they become symptomatic they are not to be tested and to continue working.

Lol. Lmao.

loving HELL what are they DOING

e:

golden bubble posted:

If you are trying to contain it, that's a terrible idea. If you assume the worst is going to happen anyway, that's perfectly reasonable. All the hospitals in the worst hit parts of Italy follow that policy, because they need any doctor they can get right now, and drat the consequences.

christ yeah i guess that makes a grim kind of sense, if your whole hospital is gonna become a covid ward anyway

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I have to assume that they are assuming the doctors are working with mostly people already infected (And thus are unlikely to be giving it out to folks) and as golden bubble said, when a health service is under that much strain they can't spare them to sit it out and get better at home.

As I said in the covid thread proper a day or two ago, this outbreak should firmly put to rest any notion that we could stop a zombie apocalypse because we're collapsing in the face of a nasty, but not exactly world-ending, respiratory disease that hasn't even been found in 150,000 people yet.

Juche Couture
Feb 3, 2007

Ms Adequate posted:

I have to assume that they are assuming the doctors are working with mostly people already infected (And thus are unlikely to be giving it out to folks)

It’s not even close to this at the moment - but it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy now!

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Juche Couture posted:

Lol. Lmao.

Which hospital is this? This is a very interesting response.

Edit - Seriously I'm interested as my trust are still in the "figuring poo poo out" phase. PM me.

Z the IVth fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Mar 12, 2020

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
if anyone's looking for some distraction from the gloom and doom, it looks like there's a bunch of studio Ghibli films on Netflix atm

just watched my neighbor totoro for the first time and it was really good.

not sure if that means I'm an animu now?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

if anyone's looking for some distraction from the gloom and doom, it looks like there's a bunch of studio Ghibli films on Netflix atm

just watched my neighbor totoro for the first time and it was really good.

not sure if that means I'm an animu now?

What is your opinion on tentacles?

Ghibli stuff has very little of the commonly derided "animu" traits so you're safe.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If you want anime distractions on Netflix, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure parts 1-3 went up recently. It's ludicrous and I love it.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Ms Adequate posted:

As I said in the covid thread proper a day or two ago, this outbreak should firmly put to rest any notion that we could stop a zombie apocalypse because we're collapsing in the face of a nasty, but not exactly world-ending, respiratory disease that hasn't even been found in 150,000 people yet.

Lmao can you loving imagine if something as deadly as ebola got half this contagious

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/ligomersall/status/1237868042832363521?s=20

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Lmao can you loving imagine if something as deadly as ebola got half this contagious

Part of the reason ebola is not as contagious as it could be is exactly because it is highly lethal, it kills people too reliably for them to go around infecting others.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Anyone who's played Plague Inc. knows you need a combination of an asymptomatic but contagious period and THEN a highly deadly phase. Also make sure you infect Madagascar early on.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

WhatEvil posted:

Anyone who's played Plague Inc. knows you need a combination of an asymptomatic but contagious period and THEN a highly deadly phase. Also make sure you infect Madagascar early on.

Madagascar and Greenland (And occasionally Cuba) are the real bastards and must be targeted with maximal ferocity.

OwlFancier posted:

Part of the reason ebola is not as contagious as it could be is exactly because it is highly lethal, it kills people too reliably for them to go around infecting others.

tbf all that means is that if Ebola ever gets itself a cute little asymptomatic-but-still-infectious stage like Covid-19 does then it's Black Death 2: Blood Boogaloo

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Ms Adequate posted:

Juche Couture posted:

It’s not even close to this at the moment - but it will be a self-fulfilling prophecy now!

Those zombie medias prepped people to act out in the worst possible way.

Oh poo poo, don't let the crow take Tom Hanks :ohdear:

Collateral fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Mar 12, 2020

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
On the topic of choosing who lives and who dies:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1237731864233807872.html

quote:

The Italian College of Anesthesia, Analgesia, Resuscitation and Intensive Care just published the most extraordinary medical document I’ve ever seen.

To help people from Germany to America understand what we’re about to face, I am publishing translated extracts here.

[Thread.]
Background:

A week ago, Italy had so few cases of corona that it could give each stricken patient high-quality care.

Today, some hospitals are so overwhelmed that they simply cannot treat every patient. They are starting to do wartime triage.

Here’s the guidance for that.

"It may be necessary to establish criteria of access to intensive care not just on the basis of clinical appropriateness but inspired by the most consensual criteria regarding distributive justice and the appropriate allocation of limited health resources."
"This scenario is substantially comparable to the field of 'catastrophe medicine,' for which ethical reflection has over time stipulated many concrete guidelines for doctors and nurses facing difficult choices."
"In a context of grave shortage of medical resources, the allocation criteria need to guarantee that those patients with the highest chance of therapeutic success will retain access to intensive care.

It's a matter of giving priority to 'the highest hope of life and survival.'"

Recommendations:

1)

The extraordinary criteria of admission and discharge are flexible and can be adapted in accordance with the local availability of resources.

These criteria apply to all patients in intensive care, not just those infected with CoVid-19.

2)

"Allocation is a very complex and delicate choice. […]

The foreseeable increase in mortality for clinical conditions not linked to the current epidemic due to the reduction of chirurgical activity and the scarcity of resources needs to be taken into consideration."

3)

"It may become necessary to establish an age limit for access to intensive care.

This is not a value judgments but a way to provide extremely scarce resources to those who have the highest likelihood of survival and could enjoy the largest number of life-years saved."

"This is informed by the principle of maximizing benefits for the largest number.

In case of a total saturation of resources, maintaining the criterion of 'first come, first served' would amount to a decision to exclude late-arriving patients from access to intensive care."

4)

"In addition to age, the presence of comorbidities needs to be carefully evaluated. It is conceivable that what might be a relatively short treatment course in healthier people could be longer and more resource-consuming in the case of older or more fragile patients."

"For patients for whom access to intensive care is judged inappropriate, the decision to posit a ceiling of care nevertheless needs to be explained, communicated, and documented."

I spent many years sitting in seminar rooms thinking about questions of distributive justice.

Let me be honest: It’s left me not one bit wiser about what to do in these kinds of dramatic circumstances. So I don’t don’t mean to pass judgment on the contents of this document.

BUT here’s the point I do want everyone to take away from this:

Doctors in America will likely be faced with similarly heartbreaking dilemmas very soon.

But we can avoid that if we:.

* Start engaging in extreme forms of social distancing
* Radically expand ICU capacities
The moral choices involved in figuring out who gets care when hospitals do not have the resources to treat all critical patients are heart-breaking.

But the moral choices involved in doing what we can today to avert that situation are straightforward.

Cancel everything now.
Here is the full document. https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/who-gets-hospital-bed/607807/

(Undoubtedly imperfect) translation of it is by me.

[End.]

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/mattzarb/status/1237999427639554048?s=19

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
If anyone cares for a long read on the virus (and I'm willing to bet you'll find the time soon enough), here's WHO's report on the virus in China.

https://www.who.int/docs/default-source/coronaviruse/who-china-joint-mission-on-covid-19-final-report.pdf

Some interesting charts there, like this one:

Bear in mind this is for China though, where they built more hospitals and stopped the spread. A similar chart for Europe and the US will likely look worse.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

lol

So glad a national newspaper is using a cartoon as its front page image

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

sassassin posted:

The government is too worried about public "fatigue" from having to do stuff (or not do stuff) for too long to realise that a full stop for 2-3 weeks now will do a lot more good than a full stop for 2-3 weeks in another week or so due to how this thing grows.

Aye, government policy is being led by Cummings and his weirdos, so they are listening to "behavioural economists" rather than medics and scientists.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

I'm the Cheltenham & Diabetes PULLOUTS.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
I guess Trump thinks the British coronavirus is too polite to infect anyone without asking.

Actually, does Farage have any US trips scheduled in the next month? Because if so, I think we've found the reason for the UK's exemption from the travel ban...

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It's really weird, despite all the people we see going through our doors I haven't seen even one member of my team (200+) go sick over the last few weeks. I suppose we'll have to wait and see, but it is still odd.

Saying that, it is weird how the government is just going "All of Labours policies but no follow up/ not thought through". Really shows the intellectual strength of the Tories at the moment.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lungboy posted:

Aye, government policy is being led by Cummings and his weirdos, so they are listening to "behavioural economists" rather than medics and scientists.

This is why I roll my eyes every time I hear a Government representative say that they are "following scientific advice" on Coronavirus. It didn't take me long to realise that they're classing economists as scientists for this purpose.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Brexiteers in full on bray mode over the US travel ban don't they just have to fly via the UK? That is pretty much the worst possible outcome for us isn't it?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
Both my brothers live in the US and are meant to be coming back to the UK on Saturday for a funeral, I wonder whether they'll get stuck here if the US does decided to include the UK eventually.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Trump might have thought that with Brexit, Europeans were already barred from the UK and he'll include us in the ban once he realises.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Ms Adequate posted:

i think the USA would do ok with a zombie apocalypse, they've got enough guns and malls for everyone and everyone loves using them

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Does this mean that Europeans have to fly via the U.K. first?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jel Shaker posted:

Does this mean that Europeans have to fly via the U.K. first?

That's what a lot of people are saying but I don't know if that's actually been spelled out. Bear in mind this policy was so hastily "planned" that Trump initially said he would be banning all cargo shipping too only for a spokesman to very hurriedly announce that he "mis-spoke" because every single business owner in the US screamed at them.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

It's not just a ban of direct flights, it's a ban of anyone who's set foot in a Bad Country in the last 14 days, so it's not just a case of flying from Paris to NY via Heathrow.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Qwertycoatl posted:

It's not just a ban of direct flights, it's a ban of anyone who's set foot in a Bad Country in the last 14 days, so it's not just a case of flying from Paris to NY via Heathrow.
Except for US citizens, who have sovereign immunity from foreign viruses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Goons! Today is the day that you have spent your lives training for.