Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

You
Hunt
Steak

Has Hunt even posted yet today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

Mr. Humalong posted:

Absolute natural disaster of a claim

FEMA is being called in to clean this one up

See I'm not mad at you because you don't actually believe that and you can't convince me otherwise.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Humalong posted:

Has Hunt even posted yet today?

I don't think so but they're still scummy from yesterday.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

CapitalistPig posted:

You
Hunt
Steak

Can you give some justification? You haven't done much besides drop names so far. Where are the reads?

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

CapitalistPig posted:

I don't think so but they're still scummy from yesterday.

Yeah that’s what I mean. Their dramatic flameout and now lurking is SUSPECT

Mr. Humalong
May 7, 2007

It’s nice that we have a solid list of candidates to work off of moving forward

Now everyone give me that nifty wish-granting item

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ruggan posted:

Can you give some justification? You haven't done much besides drop names so far. Where are the reads?

I'll cut you some slack since you haven't played with me before.

I'm super lazy and I just mostly latch on to other peoples cases as any alignment.

I basically only sign up for games with zany roles and lots of mechanics in play because I love chaos.

So asking me for reads is pointless.

The reads I have are the ones from the cases that have already been made.

Also you and steak literally thinking it's a good idea to not vote for outed scum is basically a freebie case that's obvious to anyone and you might have well just both only posted that you're scum over and over.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Thanks. Real question. If you aren't going to scum hunt or make reads, what's the point of keeping you around?

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ruggan posted:

Thanks. Real question. If you aren't going to scum hunt or make reads, what's the point of keeping you around?

I never said I didn't hunt scum.

I just do it differently.

Stop trying to push your way of playing mafia by making reads on other players on other people.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

CapitalistPig posted:

I just do it differently.

And how is that?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think cpig is scum

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ruggan posted:

And how is that?

Mr. Steak posted:

i think cpig is scum

See, I just found two scum already.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

you and steak literally thinking it's a good idea to not vote for outed scum is basically a freebie case that's obvious to anyone

admitting that you're only pushing easy one-note cases, but acting as if that's a good thing. lol

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
##vote cpig

omg u suck

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

admitting that you're only pushing easy one-note cases, but acting as if that's a good thing. lol

Hey guess what.

If you were town your win condition would be to eliminate all threats to town.

You are condoning the literal opposite of eliminating a proven scum.

An uncountered cop claim wherein the target admitted in the thread that they are scum is not a one note easy case. It's a loving slam dunk that furthers my win condition.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

##vote cpig

omg u suck

I believe there's a term for this.

A term that usually indicates that the person doing it is scum.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

Hey guess what.

If you were town your win condition would be to eliminate all threats to town.

You are condoning the literal opposite of eliminating a proven scum.

An uncountered cop claim wherein the target admitted in the thread that they are scum is not a one note easy case. It's a loving slam dunk that furthers my win condition.

i wasnt talking about mona, silly. and i already explained how keeping mona for an extra day or 2 helps our wincon

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ruggan and steak feel really suspiciously aligned right now, but, like, it's so blatant they can't be on the same scum team, right

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

i wasnt talking about mona, silly. and i already explained how keeping mona for an extra day or 2 helps our wincon

Yes you were talking about keeping a proven outed scum around for another day or two. Which is exactly what I was talking about. So yes you actually were talking about mona for the purposes of why I think you're scum.

We have no idea what mona can do at night.

There is literally no reason not to get rid of mona today.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!
Like can I get a little backup here?

Am I in loving bizarro world?

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

Yes you were talking about keeping a proven outed scum around for another day or two. Which is exactly what I was talking about. So yes you actually were talking about mona for the purposes of why I think you're scum.

We have no idea what mona can do at night.

There is literally no reason not to get rid of mona today.

what i meant was:

you are pushing me and ruggan, for a reason that you admitted in the section i quoted, is an easy, obvious case

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

CapitalistPig posted:

steak is very obviously misguided but tbh i could see how a town player could logic themselves into his argument; though that obviously doesn't mean this can't be a weird bad obvious scum gambit

ruggan's coming off a bit worse here by latching onto steak's case but with less conviction

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

CapitalistPig posted:

nah we killin mona it's all good

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

what i meant was:

you are pushing me and ruggan, for a reason that you admitted in the section i quoted, is an easy, obvious case

There is a difference between a case and someone literally admitting that they are scum.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

To win, town must spend one day executing Mona. That can be any day. Why should it be today?

We can lunch Mona today. That means we decide "any day" is today. This puts us in D3 with very little additional information compared to what we have now.

We can lunch Mona another day. This lets us use our day today to gain information. Ideally we also execute a different scum. Even if we mis-lunch, this puts us in D3 with much more information (another flip that we can use to further discern alignment).

We already know Mona is scum. The argument is to flip someone else tonight because that's information that we don't have. The only good counter-argument I've heard is that Mona may have a strong night action but I still tilt towards getting information over lowering night risk.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Ruggan posted:

To win, town must spend one day executing Mona. That can be any day. Why should it be today?

We can lunch Mona today. That means we decide "any day" is today. This puts us in D3 with very little additional information compared to what we have now.

We can lunch Mona another day. This lets us use our day today to gain information. Ideally we also execute a different scum. Even if we mis-lunch, this puts us in D3 with much more information (another flip that we can use to further discern alignment).

We already know Mona is scum. The argument is to flip someone else tonight because that's information that we don't have. The only good counter-argument I've heard is that Mona may have a strong night action but I still tilt towards getting information over lowering night risk.

Or, if you are town.

Get rid of an admitted scum that we have no idea what they can do at night now while they are still a threat and get more information tomorrow.

I never said to rush vote mona right now and end the day, there's plenty of time left today to talk about whatever you want.

But I'll be damned if my vote is going to not be for mona today.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ruggan posted:

literally this!

y'all are dismissing the idea out of hand because you're closed-minded and beholden to typical mafia strategy, or because you're a member of this alleged 2nd scumteam and want to cut down competition while keeping heat off of your own team

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Mr. Steak posted:

literally this!

y'all are dismissing the idea out of hand because you're closed-minded and beholden to typical mafia strategy, or because you're a member of this alleged 2nd scumteam and want to cut down competition while keeping heat off of your own team

I’m not dismissing it out of hand, I thought about your plan and in a more standard game I might even agree... but this is role-narok.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

There is a difference between a case and someone literally admitting that they are scum.

cpig, are you intentionally missing my point? ive clarified like 3 times by now.

the "easy case" im referring to is NOT the one on mona. that's a done deal.

the easy case is your case of RUGGAN AND I, based on a self-admitted "obvious" reason, and then touting it as if you're a great scumhunter instead if chasing easy targets.

you think i dont know that this plan looks suspicious? i'm making a case for saving a confirmed scum. i'm not stupid, i know how it looks. i'm pushing this because i believe it's best for both of our games!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

cpig, are you intentionally missing my point? ive clarified like 3 times by now.

the "easy case" im referring to is NOT the one on mona. that's a done deal.

the easy case is your case of RUGGAN AND I, based on a self-admitted "obvious" reason, and then touting it as if you're a great scumhunter instead if chasing easy targets.

you think i dont know that this plan looks suspicious? i'm making a case for saving a confirmed scum. i'm not stupid, i know how it looks. i'm pushing this because i believe it's best for both of our games!

I know you've explained yourself.

But your explanation isn't smart and it isn't something that a town player would think.

It's either bad logic or scum.

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mithross posted:

I’m not dismissing it out of hand, I thought about your plan and in a more standard game I might even agree... but this is role-narok.

exactly this.

YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT MONA CAN DO AT NIGHT.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

I know you've explained yourself.

But your explanation isn't smart and it isn't something that a town player would think.

It's either bad logic or scum.

it's called thinking outside the box. just because i'm not conforming to the robotic flowchart behaviors of "when scum claims, must mindlessly lunch" that doesnt make me scum. it doesn't even make me wrong!!

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

it's called thinking outside the box. just because i'm not conforming to the robotic flowchart behaviors of "when scum claims, must mindlessly lunch" that doesnt make me scum. it doesn't even make me wrong!!

Lol, you aren't some mafia revolutionary going against the grain here steak.

You are literally doing something detrimental to town.

How many times do I have to say this for it to sink in.

In this game of insane roles and overpowered broken abilities it is incredibly dumb to keep an outed scum alive.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

i cant wait for the remaining 3/4ths of this game to wake up and read these arguments and dayvig everyone involved

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Okay, wow, a lot of poo poo happened I see. First off gonna ##unvote from CPig for now. Consider my vote on Mona unquestionably, between the cop claim and then the actual scumclam. There's zero reason to not vote for him later in the day, but I'm gonna give other people time to turn up and actually post.

Like, as far as I can tell, Hunt, E+ and Sober all yet to post today period. For some reason.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Steak's absurd galaxy brain scheme of "let's not lunch confirmed scum in a role madness game" is, well, completely terrible. Ruggan latching onto it, immediately backpedaling when called out and then doubling down on defending it anyway is somehow even worse though.

I'm not sure Steak putting the plan out there is a scum thing to do, though; actively defending known scum like that is always going to look bad. The only sensible thing to do would be to leave Mona out to dry and avoid drawing attention to yourself quite so blatantly. Ruggan seeing the plan floated already and then jumping on it afterwards is relatively more likely to be cornered scum trying to find a way out of a bad situation, though, and pushing someone else's idea generally looks less bad on that front. Well, it would if it was a good idea. :v:

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CapitalistPig posted:

Lol, you aren't some mafia revolutionary going against the grain here steak.

You are literally doing something detrimental to town.

How many times do I have to say this for it to sink in.

In this game of insane roles and overpowered broken abilities it is incredibly dumb to keep an outed scum alive.

i've heard you, and considered your side. it's weak.

an extra scum being alive is not going to let them kill an extra person tonight. what's the worst possible thing you can imagine him being able to do? amplifying his own teammate would be far too broken so i don't believe that's a mechanic scum have. i'd buy something like what someone brought up earlier, a passive that gives their entire team ninja or something. and you know what? i don't really care about that. the chance of a watcher just happening to correctly guess their kill target is so low that the possibility of losing that info is meaningless to me.

worst case scenario is something like "gives the entire team unblockable kill" but here's my counter to even that mattering much at all:

here is a quote from the OP (emphasis mine): "all info roles function as stated: there are no quack roles in this game. That does not, of course, mean that all information is trustworthy.

that is likely to mean "some kind of busdriver role exists in this setup."

if it belongs to scum, then they can already perform an unblockable kill unless they get unlucky and there's a protective role on the person they target/busdrive into ixt, so killing mona affects nothing. and if it belongs to town, that townie just has to swap ixt with someone random and there's no way scum gets lucky and manages to hit ixt, so mona's passive is useless.

but for the sake of argument, let's say there's no busdriver, AND mona has a passive that gives his entire team unblockable kills, AND they target ixt tonight. here's the thing: i'm willing to bet my left leg that somewhere in this role disaster setup, there's a town jailer or similar. that person will (and should) obviously target mona, rendering him useless and blocking the kill. the scum team would probably expect that and send another member to do the deed. following from that, even in the absolute worst case scenario where ixt dies, there would probably be like 5 town investigative roles on him, so we'd instantly catch another scum, which outweighs the benefit of the cop staying alive. because honestly, the chances of him getting another scum result before dying anyway are slim. and that's only in the super unlikely event that the scumteam is foolish enough to blatantly target ixt.

tl;dr: i just ran through a couple of worst case scenarios of my plan, very few of which involve ixt dying and even in those *extremely unlikely* cases the benefits of an extra flip (and untarnished vote patterns) outweigh the negatives.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

Oh and Ruggan's "case" on CPig that boils down to not liking CPig's tone and thinking he's mean is pretty ironic and kinda grasping at straws. DQB came up earlier regarding KB and Mona, and Ruggan was also in that game. And was absolutely Town MVP. And had an attitude for the first few days there that he got called out on that was, if anything, worse than CPig's has been here so far. So I kinda feel like Ruggan should know that this argument is alignment agnostic so that's another reason why I'm getting pressured scum vibes from him.

Mr. Steak
May 9, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
god i love playing mafia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapitalistPig
Nov 3, 2005

A Winner is you!

Mr. Steak posted:

an extra scum being alive is not going to let them kill an extra person tonight. what's the worst possible thing you can imagine him being able to do?

We don't loving know that's the point you absolute pinecone.

It's more dangerous to leave mona alive.