Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
My company (which is hated by this thread) is taking it seriously and looking at homeworking the full business where possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tom Cotton is a shiny-eyed psychopath former Army ranger. He lusts to kill foreigners in a way people often attributed to Dubya, but it's actually true here. If he doesn't get the Iran war he's been agitating for since he joined Congress then he's gonna pivot to some China poo poo.

Actually, he's probably just gonna use this to push the Iran case even harder

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

keep punching joe posted:

My company (which is hated by this thread) is taking it seriously and looking at homeworking the full business where possible.

Doesn't this thread hate all businesses except for whoever makes Monster Munch, and Branston's?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Communist Thoughts posted:

do the thing now, christ

i've gotta say i was pretty sold on sturgeons "we're preparing for the worst case scenario" stuff but the scottish NHS 111 stuff has been every bit as negligent as england's so far

To be fair, we're proportionately testing more people, and have only just had our first community transmission.

There's an argument Scotland is still in the Contain phase than Delay, though banning gatherings etc should still be done for Contain.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Direct from the horse's mouth at 111:

"If you've not come into contact with someone with a confirmed case, it's a cold"

loving useless. At least post me a swab.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Lol

General Battuta posted:

It's the scourge of coronavirus

e: I post this while cowering behind my door in NYC like a Bloodborne NPC

Gort posted:

"If you've not come into contact with someone with a confirmed case, it's a cold"

Honestly this is probably the best approach even if it is the virus. Self isolate if you feel bad, don't worry about whether or not it is or it isn't because it doesn't matter as long as you're not down the pub having pints and infecting everyone. Makes sense to keep panic down and also preserve spaces in hospital for severe and critical cases.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Mar 12, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Just in case it was too subtle for you:

https://twitter.com/SenTomCotton/status/1238123648516526082

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

happyhippy posted:

Posted this in the Ireland thread, mine has been going the last decade 'no its impossible never going to happen' to work from home.
Now its confirmed we are going to.
And I think they are doing it in a half assed way too, VPNing to our work computers.
But hey, if I can get paid while wearing nothing but my underwear, Im up for it.

VPNing into your work machine is the bet way to work from home really. Like gently caress am I going to reinstall everything somewhere else.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Private Speech posted:

Meanwhile the UK, ahh, well.

There's not been a No 10 update from the Cobra meeting yet, I'm convinced we're going to be doing some serious closing up after the FTSE closes in 10 mins. Sturgeon has already teased a ban on events of more than 500 people in Scotland, that's basically closing the Tubes

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

"COVID19?
A triffid."

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
They're really going for the 'let all the olds die' option. Wow. 2020.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Regarde Aduck posted:

They're really going for the 'let all the olds die' option. Wow. 2020.

Never seen a political party so enthusiastically cull it's own voter base!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

They have a majority then can just vote to abolish elections.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

ThomasPaine posted:

Never seen a political party so enthusiastically cull it's own voter base!

They think they've got 5 years and no ideas about what they want to do during and after so why not!

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Welp, they're literally just gonna murder everyone aren't they

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I can't believe how cavalier this government's been about the corona

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

So the bats, the democrats, the left media, China, and Hillary then.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

ThomasPaine posted:

Honestly this is probably the best approach even if it is the virus. Self isolate if you feel bad, don't worry about whether or not it is or it isn't because it doesn't matter as long as you're not down the pub having pints and infecting everyone. Makes sense to keep panic down and also preserve spaces in hospital for severe and critical cases.

It would be nice to know one way or the other - there's a big difference in how work will treat me if I take weeks from home for a confirmed case COVID-19 than if I take weeks from home for what could be me making poo poo up.

I also have retired relatives I'd like to visit - am I risking giving them a cold, or am I risking killing them dead? Not to mention from the government's perspective it'd be useful for them to be able to co-ordinate their response if they actually know where the cases of COVID-19 are.

Kojiro
Aug 11, 2003

LET'S GET TO THE TOP!

Gort posted:

They didn't even ask me what symptoms I had, just "it's a cold, bye"

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

lol the FTSE is going back to 2011 levels.

Where's the announcement Boris!

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Olpainless posted:

Welp, they're literally just gonna murder everyone aren't they

if you consider this is going to kill, for the most part, those who are 80+ or already ill they probably wouldn't be around/able to vote in the next election in 4 years anyway,

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

boris is about to give a speech soon so enjoy

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

Tesseraction posted:

They have a majority then can just vote to abolish elections.

The dumb thing is I'm fairly sure there's nothing in British law that would prevent a party doing this if they just refused to honour any of the old informal unwritten rules which can't be enforced because they're informal and unwritten. This is why Boris and Cummings trouble me. The latter at least understands how power works, and we all know the net reaction would be a lot of exasperated graun articles, some twitter outrage and a couple of petitions.

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tom Cotton is a shiny-eyed psychopath former Army ranger. He lusts to kill foreigners in a way people often attributed to Dubya, but it's actually true here. If he doesn't get the Iran war he's been agitating for since he joined Congress then he's gonna pivot to some China poo poo.

Actually, he's probably just gonna use this to push the Iran case even harder

I think in the event of a US war on China they would very quickly learn that they are woefully unready to engage in a conflict that isn't mostly drone striking hospitals. Seriously, they would lose and lose hard and that would be a good thing

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Justin Trudeau just announced he's self-isolating, because his wife has likely symptoms. She just came back from the UK.

The entire British ruling class has coronavirus.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

hemale in pain posted:

if you consider this is going to kill, for the most part, those who are 80+ or already ill they probably wouldn't be around/able to vote in the next election in 4 years anyway,

They have relatives though. If the government is seen to bungle this, there are going to be a lot of furious people ready to throw Boris in a ditch even if it means voting for Stalin himself

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Speech after the market closed I see.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Electoral Commission have asked the government to postpone the local elections in May.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

They have relatives though. If the government is seen to bungle this, there are going to a lot of furious people ready to throw Boris in a ditch even if it means voting for Stalin himself

I'm really sad to say but that's not going to happen. Boris will spin it as them taking a hard but necessary approach and that the deaths were caused by brexit 'dither and delay' or whatever insane drivel he comes up with.

people will believe it and blame corbyn and the EU

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Comrade Fakename posted:

insh'allah

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

I think in the event of a US war on China they would very quickly learn that they are woefully unready to engage in a conflict that isn't mostly drone striking hospitals. Seriously, they would lose and lose hard and that would be a good thing

China has nukes, so it'll be a cold war conflict using proxies. My guess? China is expanding its influence into Africa, so America will put a stop to that and have it instead. Good luck Africa!

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

voting for Stalin himself

stop I can only get so hard

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Comrade Fakename posted:

:yeshaha:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

My workplace is kicking off voluntary wfh. Looks like about 2/3rds of people are taking it up.

We're pretty well set up in terms of laptops and VPN to access shared resources etc so impact should be reasonably limited.

Our clients are all panicking because they are seeing the physical retail numbers start falling through the floor.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

hemale in pain posted:

I'm really sad to say but that's not going to happen. Boris will spin it as them taking a hard but necessary approach and that the deaths were caused by brexit 'dither and delay' or whatever insane drivel he comes up with.

people will believe it and blame corbyn and the EU

Nah they've hosed themselves. The budget was about 'Rising to meet the COVID 19 challenge' and other bullshit, they've set themselves a challenge, are going to fail in a public way which causes unnecessary deaths and we will make they suffer for it.

The government won't make it to the next election, it's going down before then.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

They have relatives though. If the government is seen to bungle this, there are going to be a lot of furious people ready to throw Boris in a ditch even if it means voting for Stalin himself

And finally, Corbyn hanging around for so long post-election makes sense. Someone needs to start a conspiracy theory about this.

I'm really on tenterhooks to find out if this is the second worst FTSE day in history, or merely the third. And there's always tomorrow after Boris Bans Borders!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gort posted:

It would be nice to know one way or the other - there's a big difference in how work will treat me if I take weeks from home for a confirmed case COVID-19 than if I take weeks from home for what could be me making poo poo up.
Think like a Tory.

Set up two limited companies. Appoint yourself director and majority shareholder of the first, Gort Holdings. Have Gort Holdings hold all stock for the second company, NotGort Analytical Laboratories. Set up a website for the second company using a free template for a food takeaway site. Pay your second company £50 for a private blood test. Have sex with a pig. Knock up something like this in LibreOffice that says SARS-CoV-2 antibodies positive:

China has nukes, so it'll be a cold war conflict using proxies. My guess? China is expanding its influence into Africa, so America will put a stop to that and have it instead. Good luck Africa!
Narrator: Africa did not have good luck.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

namesake posted:

Nah they've hosed themselves. The budget was about 'Rising to meet the COVID 19 challenge' and other bullshit, they've set themselves a challenge, are going to fail in a public way which causes unnecessary deaths and we will make they suffer for it.

The government won't make it to the next election, it's going down before then.

nope this is hellworld friend.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

I don't really see how he can spin this as making tough but necessary decisions because those tough and necessary decisions would have been mass quarantines and screening at the very beginning and he's done gently caress all

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

has Boris made his big speech yet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

good news everyone https://twitter.com/pajemiki/status/1238144543708581890

wait