Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

no you were on the right track, keep going

e: March 13th, 1967: the Portland Spy Ring goes on trial, accused of leaking nuclear secrets to the Soviet Union. Tbh I don't blame them

Venomous fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
thank God we avoided doing anything that would have damaged the economy

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't really see how he can spin this as making tough but necessary decisions because those tough and necessary decisions would have been mass quarantines and screening at the very beginning and he's done gently caress all

yeah but this is the same government which is claiming to fight climate change while funding fossil fuels. it doesn't matter how obvious the lie is anymore.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Friend at Capital One says they’re WFH until further notice. Sister’s a teacher, they’re working on an assumption they’ll be closed from Monday even without any official notice. If boris keeps hanging about the country will make the decision for him.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

I don't really see how he can spin this as making tough but necessary decisions because those tough and necessary decisions would have been mass quarantines and screening at the very beginning and he's done gently caress all

the goal is to let enough of the proles die as some sort of experimental guinea pig rat brain trial before a vaccine is found

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I mean it's been doing this for three weeks now:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Boris has just pretty much said "Say goodbye to granny", holy poo poo.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ARE NHS

ARE SOCIETY (such thing as)

goddamnedtwisto posted:

yeah but also we've done all we can :frogbon: such is life

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

goddamnedtwisto posted:

where is this?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

XMNN posted:

where is this?

I'm watching on Sky News:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Auq9mYxFEE

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

where is this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xRadMzCKnCU

my stream's better less likely you'll see Kay Burley or Adam Bolton

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

hemale in pain posted:

yeah but this is the same government which is claiming to fight climate change while funding fossil fuels. it doesn't matter how obvious the lie is anymore.

Which is why you build power around the reality and start smashing your foes rather than pretending there's a discussion to be had.

gently caress the gammons, build your forces and use them.

lmao he's keeping the schools open. He's really trying to get people killed. Openly so.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

boris - "we've done what we can to contain the virus."

??? like what

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Looks like one of my friends has probably got it (was in the US two weeks ago, had close contact with someone who had contact with a confirmed case, of course they won't test, despite one of their flatmates being a high risk person).

Work are still dithering as to whether to send me to London next week. Someone from the London office was in last week and hooboy I got out of that room drat fast.

I'm hoping they'll postpone or cancel the training, or let me skype in. I'd be happy to skype in. I'd even pay attention, the whole two days.

Hell I'd do that even without covid, gently caress travelling to London.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

there you go, no school closures - the SCIENCE says so and it might make things worse

e- if you think you have it, I URGE you not to call 111, just... use the internet instead? what the gently caress is this

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Well at least Labour lost in December so they can't be blamed for this.

ha ha haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

lmao jesus gently caress i thought you were joking

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

hemale in pain posted:

??? like what

Sing happy birthday twice to ward off evil spirits??

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Boris Johnson is a present and urgent threat to your existence and way of life.

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.

hemale in pain posted:

??? like what

I work in the NHS and as far as I've been able to see, just about nothing.

So very true to form for Alexander de Piffle, then.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

baka kaba posted:

e- if you think you have it, I URGE you not to call 111, just... use the internet instead? what the gently caress is this

use the 111 online advice thing is what he means, which is sensible insofar as it's much more scalable than the 111 phone lines

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

absolute whitewashing going on here

WASH YOU ARE HANDS ✌

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Goddamn they arent doing anything, and the PM exxplicitly said you can expect your friends and family members to die :lol::lol:

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

what sort of mad scientific advice are they getting which is telling them that banning huge gatherings of people wouldn't help stop the spread? this is all insane

help

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Commit wholeheartedly to a national effort... by washing your hands

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Comrade Fakename posted:

Justin Trudeau just announced he's self-isolating, because his wife has likely symptoms. She just came back from the UK.

The entire British ruling class has coronavirus.
2019: Boris lies to the Queen
2020: Boris actually kills the Queen

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

oxford_town posted:

use the 111 online advice thing is what he means, which is sensible insofar as it's much more scalable than the 111 phone lines

well poo poo he could have said that instead of uhhh ah ah go on the internet, he sounds totally unprepared

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

hemale in pain posted:

what sort of mad scientific advice are they getting which is telling them that banning huge gatherings of people wouldn't help stop the spread? this is all insane

help
The Science of Cum by Dominic Cummings

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

hemale in pain posted:

help

The nearest I can get to what they might be thinking was my own half-hearted "I reckon" from earlier, that banning sporting events won't actually change the amount of spread while people are still commuting to work every day.

Personally - despite being against it on those grounds - I think they *should* be looking at at least playing games behind closed doors just so people begin to realise this poo poo is serious.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

he'd look more competent if he actually closed the border lmao

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

The Conservative Party: Your Grandparents Will Die But We're Suspending Foreign School Trips

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

they're talking about school closings and gatherings right now

the idea is apparently to not try slowing it down now, let it get way more widespread and THEN tell people to stay indoors? because if you do it too early they'll get bored and slowing it down isn't important?

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Desperately trying to convince my dad that this is some serious poo poo

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The nearest I can get to what they might be thinking was my own half-hearted "I reckon" from earlier, that banning sporting events won't actually change the amount of spread while people are still commuting to work every day.

Personally - despite being against it on those grounds - I think they *should* be looking at at least playing games behind closed doors just so people begin to realise this poo poo is serious.

yeah but people are gonna be travelling across the country for sports events and spreading it more instead of it being spread locally.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Can't believe the UK has been left in this state thanks to lack of Covid-19 preparation by the last Labour Government.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

hemale in pain posted:

help

It's from Dommy Cummies Nookie Unit.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
giving a very powerful statement of health by telling people to wash they hands

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
Not sure how much you can blame central govt for how you think this is being handled; it looks as if the steer on this is really coming from the epidemiologists and public health docs. Chris Whitty in particular I think is giving a decent justification right now for why they're doing what they're doing.

If you want to see a politically-motivated response that involves doing something that looks good but probably does nothing, look to Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

oxford_town posted:

Not sure how much you can blame central govt for how you think this is being handled; it looks as if the steer on this is really coming from the epidemiologists and public health docs. Chris Whitty in particular I think is giving a decent justification right now for why they're doing what they're doing.

If you want to see a politically-motivated response that involves doing something that looks good but probably does nothing, look to Trump.

but countries have effectively contained it before it's gotten too far. it be nice to even have tried before going "we can't do poo poo! get ready to mourn your loved ones!"