Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Good:
- More context for Rios’s tragic captain comments
- “Ancient Romulans created the Borg” theory probably off the table
- Every hologram scene
- Picard and Rios pep talk
- “...are you going to assimilate me now?”
- Oh being an actual spy instead of just a lovely Starfleet officer
- Detective Rafi puzzling the entire thing out

Bad:
- The Seven stuff wrapped up way too quickly and I’m not sure I dig how easily she re-entered and then left the Collective like it was nothing.
- The “ancient civilization wiped out by evolved synths” poo poo is a pretty tired sci-fi trope.

Overall decent :shrug:

Also, there’s a 100% chance that the Enterprise-E/F is part of that squadron headed to DS12 and we’ll probably see it next week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Big Mean Jerk posted:

- The “ancient civilization wiped out by evolved synths” poo poo is a pretty tired sci-fi trope.

It is, but I’m a huge gently caress off Mass Effect fan, so I kind of want to see Trek take a swing at that ball too. If nothing else it’s suddenly got me INCREDIBLY interested in where Picard is going as a show for the first real time since it premiered.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

nine-gear crow posted:

It is, but I’m a huge gently caress off Mass Effect fan, so I kind of want to see Trek take a swing at that ball too. If nothing else it’s suddenly got me INCREDIBLY interested in where Picard is going as a show for the first real time since it premiered.

I think I’d be fine with it if it wasn’t the same “if you make advanced synths, expect a force of Cosmic Space Evil to come wipe you out as a result” plot. I mean if it’s all bluster and Romulan paranoia misinterpreting the ancient “warning”, then that’s fine. But please please don’t let there actually be Star Trek’s version of Reapers.

I’m also just burnt out on modern Trek using AI as a threat after Disco season 2, as others have said in the past few pages.

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
That flashback at the beginning was straight up the Protean beacon. The Mass Effect stuff is getting pretty blatant

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

That flashback at the beginning was straight up the Protean beacon. The Mass Effect stuff is getting pretty blatant

It even used some of the same imagery and sound effects too, I’m pretty sure.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It's going to be really unsatisfying when the Borg Queen forces Picard to choose between destroying all synths, controlling all synths, or making everyone Borg.

Belan
May 7, 2007
So the season ends with a big space battle between Starfleet/Seven's cube and the Romulans. Got it. I'm guessing the cube shows up first and later Starfleet saves the day led by Worf in the Enterprise. I'll take it.

Arglebargle III posted:

Big fan fiction energy.

You know it!

Belan fucked around with this message at 12:01 on Mar 12, 2020

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Big fan fiction energy.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Angry Salami posted:

It's going to be really unsatisfying when the Borg Queen forces Picard to choose between destroying all synths, controlling all synths, or making everyone Borg.

Borg have a green theme, theory checks out.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wild Plot Speculation Time (I don't actually think this will happen) Seven activates the Cube like Hugh wanted, but she also activates some sort of re-assimilation protocol. She then turns the Cube inward and assimilates everybody on the ship. Narek, his resolve wavering due to his love for Soji, has his resolve hardened by the assimilation of his weird creepy sister.

Please god don't let any of that be true

lmao

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

nine-gear crow posted:

I’m about halfway through the episode right now but based on the silhouette of it on Rio’s duffle bag, I really hope we get to see the USS Ibn Majid in some capacity. It looks rad as poo poo.

You can also see glimpses of that ship In the DS9 What We Left Behind documentary. It's in the "season 8" animated parts as the ship Ezri would be captain of

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That was so loving great.

Seven getting in and out quickly was actually ok, because you could tell that at the moment she plugged in she was totally accepting it might be full on Borg time again but that was better than letting them all die.

I know people.have talked about the Q showing up, but I really really hope that's what the warning is about. Even retroactively explains why Q was so interested in the Enterprise and Voyager. With Data and the Doctor they were are the forefront of artificial lifeforms, and Q was amongst other things scoping out if the Federation was worthy of essentially becoming Gods.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Mar 12, 2020

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Annika still has work to do :stonkhat:

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Pretty good episode. Good pacing, plot was decent.

My nitpicks:

- Would have loved to see Seven in control of a poo poo ton of Borg. Not loving that they spaced the whole collective and she can't just, like, shut the doors while in charge of the cube, to save a handful.
- Actually, I guess that's it? Surprisingly few nitpicks.

tragedyjones
Oct 26, 2010
So since we know drones can just walk around in vacuum couldn't 7 just scoop all those Borg back up?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Senor Tron posted:

That was so loving great.

Seven getting in and out quickly was actually ok, because you could tell that at the moment she plugged in she was totally accepting it might be full on Borg time again but that was better than letting them all die.

I know people.have talked about the Q showing up, but I really really hope that's what the warning is about. Even retroactively explains why Q was so interested in the Enterprise and Voyager. With Data and the Doctor they were are the forefront of artificial lifeforms, and Q was amongst other things scoping out if the Federation was worthy of essentially becoming Gods.

Oh I hadn't thought about the ancient civilization being wiped out by the Q. Maybe they failed their trial.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
I actually really liked Raffi this episode. It was nice seeing her have agency.

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

The mug with peppermint ice cream with the peppermint stick in it was a good prop. Peppermint ice cream is my second-favorite flavor right now behind classic vanilla

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Mar 12, 2020

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
The ENH is just adorable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Epicurius posted:

The ENH is just adorable.

The way he just went :allears: after Raffi kissed him on the forehead was great.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mokinokaro posted:

I actually really liked Raffi this episode. It was nice seeing her have agency.

Yeah, now that you mention it this was the first episode where I enjoyed Raffi. I guess we're on an upswing :)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Everybody was at their A game this week to be fair. Picard's speech at the end really felt like the old him as well.

Things are actually moving in a hopeful direction especially with the reveal that Oh was actively loving with the Federation all along instead of just being an informant. It also opens the possibility of reconciliation with the non Zhat Vash Romulan remnants when the dust settles.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
That was a perfect episode.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The Ibn Majid looks like if you crossed a Sovereign with the Discovery.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
It's funny how the bullshit fanservice episode with the rikers was terrible and this one was actually decent, it was nice to finally get some development for Rios. Call me crazy but I'm buying his depression a lot more than I was raffi's, although I agree it was nice to see her helping him out or trying to. Picard's speech was nice but it doesn't undo the rest of the show and I've checked out mentally from anything having to do with the girl or romulan prophecies. I couldn't help but laugh at what an idiot rear end in a top hat Picard was being toward Rios while he was having his weird little freak out, like dude the captain of your ship is having a panic attack or something don't just keep telling him to lay in a course what the hell is wrong with you

And replicators that look like replicators, finally!

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Tighclops posted:

dude the captain of your ship is having a panic attack or something don't just keep telling him to lay in a course what the hell is wrong with you

But that does seem in place in all other Treks, rite? (:

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Picard seems like a green ending kind of guy.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

tragedyjones posted:

So since we know drones can just walk around in vacuum couldn't 7 just scoop all those Borg back up?

I know, right? Plus we can assume that there’d be mass transporters someplace to beam them all back. Feels like the producers just chickened out.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Okay, so what the hell happened to the synths that the precursor civilization made? Did they just go "welp, we destroyed our creators, let's go find a different galaxy or something," or transcend to a different plane of existence and decide not to gently caress with the other races? I feel like there should be some remnants of them, especially since the way they talked about things was this is stuff that happened relatively recently on a cosmic scale. Thousands of centuries isn't all that long, especially for everything created by a civilization capable of moving stars around to be effectively annihilated.

Also, unrelated (probably) but I wonder if Q is going to show up in this series. I would expect it since he loved Picard.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Okay, so what the hell happened to the synths that the precursor civilization made?

I posted this earlier in the thread, but I feel like Ruk the android from TOS: “What Are Little Girls Made Of?” Is one of them. Drawing on that episode would also reinforce why the Zhat Vazh are so horrified by the synth threat, since the tech in that episode can make a perfect android replica of any person. On the other hand, if this is the intention, I have to wonder if they’ll make the callback explicit, since Chabon has already admitted there was executive pressure to leave out that kind of stuff.

As to where they all went... catastrophic galaxy wide war? Who knows? I imagine they’re holding that back until the finale, or the next season, especially because they dropped the exposition about the 8-star system on us this late in the season.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Thom12255 posted:

The Ibn Majid looks like if you crossed a Sovereign with the Discovery.

It looks a bit like the USS Emmet Till

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Picard would go full synthesis ending like me B-)

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Astroman posted:

Would far rather see Picard meet Pike.

Also was thinking about what I want to see in a Pike Show.

I want it to take the bold step in the era of Prestige TV of being purely episodic, wth no character development or continuing arcs whatsoever. No seasonlong Macguffin to chase. poo poo, we know where Pike and Spock end up, so why spend time on development other than some backstory?

Pure Planet/Monster Of The Week. Explore strange new worlds and get back to the SPACE IS loving WEIRD poo poo of TOS/TAS with green giant hands, 10 story tall clones, ancient gods, gangster planets, and space amoebas. It's period appropriate for the era of just before TOS, and would be a great counterpart to the postapoc ACTION SPACE BATTLES of Disco and the more contemplative Picard. And the presumably zany Lower Decks show.

If you want 52 weeks of Trek, you gotta make it thematically different.

If they did this, I'd 100% be there for it.

The latest episode of Picard was good. I only have a couple of nitpicks about it. The only one that bothers me is God damnit, I hope they don't do yet another evil AI thing. I hope it's a subversion with that speech Picard gave.

Khanstant posted:

Picard would go full synthesis ending like me B-)

I mean, looking at the opening theme it almost seems to be building him.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Okay, so what the hell happened to the synths that the precursor civilization made? Did they just go "welp, we destroyed our creators, let's go find a different galaxy or something," or transcend to a different plane of existence and decide not to gently caress with the other races? I feel like there should be some remnants of them, especially since the way they talked about things was this is stuff that happened relatively recently on a cosmic scale. Thousands of centuries isn't all that long, especially for everything created by a civilization capable of moving stars around to be effectively annihilated.

Also, unrelated (probably) but I wonder if Q is going to show up in this series. I would expect it since he loved Picard.

The way I took it was the synths aren't what killed the ancient civilization, but that once synths reached a tipping point, became too advanced, some external threat came in and wiped out everything. Like in Mass Effect.

Correct me if I misheard, though.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

The way I took it was the synths aren't what killed the ancient civilization, but that once synths reached a tipping point, became too advanced, some external threat came in and wiped out everything. Like in Mass Effect.

This was my understanding too

Mortanis
Dec 28, 2005

It's your father's lightsaber. This is the weapon of a Jedi Knight.
College Slice
The way I read it is not that synths themselves caused Space Armageddon in the past, but that once a civilization creates artificial life at a certain complexity, some big bad shows up and nukes it all. So there wouldn't be a bunch of ancient evil synths running around because presumably they'd have been wiped out with their creators. So far it looks like it's veering away from the "once you get to a certain point synthetic life attempts to overthrow its creators" trope, but is still kinda derivative.

I feel like I might have missed something, but that means everything with the Borg and Romulans is a red herring, right? That one Romulan ship was the only one to be assimilated, and while at first it looked like there was some sort of biological trigger messing up assimilated Romulans, now it looks like they just got whammied by the fact that they assimilated someone that had been subjected to the psychic plot exposition device and it donked up the whole cube. Maybe they'll come back to it but at this point, it feels like there's nothing special about the Romulan and Borg, right?

e;fb but leaving it anyway

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

thrawn527 posted:

That's how I understood it. With the line comparing it to Zephram Cochrane. Once you pass that threshold, someone shows up. So when you reach a point with sentient synthetic lifeforms, someone shows up to either destroy you or something like that.

My other thoughts on the episode: That beacon or marker or whatever was green like the borg, so I wonder if maybe that previous race made the borg and were wrecked by whatever showed up. But then that doesn't make sense why the borg would then immediately gently caress off to the delta quadrant.

It felt kind of anticlimactic to activate those borgs, shoot them into space, and then have the collective say "Wow, that sucks. Back to you in the studio, Annika". Maybe that was just a way for Seven to have total control of the cube with some allied XBs, without the threat of normal borgs ruining their plans. I guess the XBs will get the cube into fighting shape and then take off to help Picard.

I also assume that the squadron sent to help Picard was actually sent by Oh to destroy Soji when they find La Sirena. That squadron will be heading for DS12, so maybe they won't play into anything too much. If they do, they will probably show up late. I did think it was stupid that beardy Romulan guy just happened to have his ship behind them to jump into the transwarp conduit. Unless that was someone else. But how did he find them if the tracker was destroyed?

edit: Did incest sister beam out at the last second or something? I saw a green flash as the XBs piled on top of her

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

I had thought the the mention of a threshold was referring to the infamous Voyager episode. Like if you advance too far and cross the warp threshold then bad things happen. But yeah, seeing these posts and watching the scene again, it sounds like an outside force appears. That seems even worse to me because now you're introducing a new antagonist in episode 8 of 10. It doesn't come as a total surprise since both seasons of Disco introduced secret bad guys behind everything in their last halves, but to just see something like this done a third time is exhausting.

Still kinda confused at the Soji home planet being around when Maddox clearly said his lab was destroyed to the point where everything was dissolved. I guess it's pointing to the new faction being behind it or a second new faction on this world that had been carrying on his work without him. Remember that "Maddox's" face was blurred out in Soji's visions of herself as a child. Perfectly reasonable that he didn't make all of the Sojis (although he did say that he sent her to the cube, so I could be wrong)

Lister fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Mar 12, 2020

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Cojawfee posted:

edit: Did incest sister beam out at the last second or something? I saw a green flash as the XBs piled on top of her

Yeah, I'm pretty sure she did. It kind of looked like the initial plan was to show her on board the 1 Romulan ship the camera lingers on before it warps out, since that shot seems a bit weird without that connection.

I'm curious about the supposed Big Bad that comes when the threshold is crossed. But I am extremely curious about the (NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW SPOILERS) straight-up organic-looking ships that pop into orbit above Soji's home planet

Considering the whole Synths are evolving to become indistinguishable from organics angle I think we could see some really wild stuff in the next couple episodes.

e: one nit pick though: why bother showing Narek's ship enter the transwarp conduit after La Sirena? We're confirmed Jurati neutralized the bug, and the Romulan fleet is already en route anyway, so who cares? It's annoying because it seems like they're hinting that there's another traitor on the crew (the only way Narek could have found them again).

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Wild Plot Speculation Time (I don't actually think this will happen) Seven activates the Cube like Hugh wanted, but she also activates some sort of re-assimilation protocol. She then turns the Cube inward and assimilates everybody on the ship. Narek, his resolve wavering due to his love for Soji, has his resolve hardened by the assimilation of his weird creepy sister.

Please god don't let any of that be true

God damnit

And yet I have to be pleasantly surprised that it wasn't as awful in reality as it was in my head (I was definitely expecting more "nope I'm the Queen now run for your fuckin life Elnor stuff)