Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

This can't be right? 1000 deaths is a lot but that really should not be pushing anybody so far above capacity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

EL BROMANCE posted:

Time to add that to 'list of poo poo that Contagion got right'. I swear Steven Soderbergh went to experts and asked two questions - what is the likely way a virus could spread, and what will govts do to gently caress it up.

Yeah I watched the movie on my flight from London to LA right before poo poo started to pop off and its just been like a slow moving train wreck you can see from a mile away.

Fat Damon was cool too.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

Samsquamsch posted:

My city also declared a SOE, and here I am at work. Luckily I wear gloves all day, but if it's airborne...

It's droplet and contact, not airborne.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Inept posted:

lol you're definitely just going to hide being sick on your way home if you have it

What exactly would you do in my situation?

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

EL BROMANCE posted:

Time to add that to 'list of poo poo that Contagion got right'. I swear Steven Soderbergh went to experts and asked two questions - what is the likely way a virus could spread, and what will govts do to gently caress it up.

I just wish the actual CDC was as efficient as the CDC in the movie.

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

They are not THAT big, I bet US can make those bigger.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

Apparently nearly all the new tested cases today in the Netherlands were just healthcare workers too, as I guess they are the only people they are bothering to test.
No need to take any big steps though you guys, like closing schools or setting quarantines. The pragmatic, non-panicky Dutch will get through this by just acting like it's not there! :geert:

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice

Pick posted:

This can't be right? 1000 deaths is a lot but that really should not be pushing anybody so far above capacity

1000? :lol:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2020/03/irans-coronavirus-problem-lot-worse-it-seems/607663/

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

James Woods posted:

What exactly would you do in my situation?

not zigzag between metropolitan transit hubs like a human SLAM potentially spreading death everywhere you go? Or getting it yourself if you dont already have it?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

I’m at the airport and flying home. Maybe I’ll stop by the admirals club in Miami and liberate the TP from every stall to take home and sell on the brown market

Zyme
Aug 15, 2000

Hazo posted:

Ridiculous that dogs have a coronavirus vaccine before we do.

I was thinking about this yesterday. The situation has almost been a perfect storm for people to not give a poo poo about. The people in the most danger are the elderly, who are most likely to attribute anything other than status-quo to being "fake news", so it's hard for them to take it seriously. Young people aren't in as much danger so they don't worry about themselves - and honestly, they don't really give a gently caress about the olds either. So nobody has really been too concerned yet.

Then I got to thinking - what if it killed young people? Or babies? Would people care then? Probably, although maybe not vastly more.

Then I thought....what if it killed people's DOGS? Heads would be loving rolling right now. Trump would be hanging from a crucifix outside the whitehouse. Martial law would have certainly been declared, the military would have seized all research and manufacturing capability and the country would be 100% dedicated to discovering and manufacturing a vaccine for the dogs, and so on.

So yeah don't be surprised when it comes right down to it...dogs > babies > olds.

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Wizard Master posted:

I wish the zombie apocalypse would hurry up and happen, I want to start capping motherfuckers :blastu: :twisted:

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
Just talked to my former roommate who's an ER doctor in a small-medium sized city.

He hasn't seen it first-hand yet but has been on conference calls with different peer groups dealing with it. He's lucky he has the next 2 weeks off so he won't be dealing with it directly but even still, sounds like lots of dumb fucks are still coming to the ER for really trivial stuff, then get pissed off that it's taking forever to be seen. Their staffing is also very tight at his place so if 1 doctor goes down with this, they won't have proper coverage and will be totally hosed from overworking.

He had a patient yesterday with a perforated large intestine and called the ICU at the nearest major hospital and there were no available beds. So now is apparently a really bad time for anything bad to happen to you because you might be SOL due to lack of capacity/equipment even if it has nothing to do this with dumb virus.

According to him, the current projections by the time this thing runs its course are pretty staggering, something like 10x the seasonal flu, with 50% infection rate expected and an estimated 800,000 deaths in the US.

:rip: the Greatest Generatiom and Boomers

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

:crnasickos:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TP is actually the smart buy, because you can wrap yourself up like a mummy and boomers are loving terrified of mummies, so when everything goes on lockdown, you can just knock on the door and when they answer it and see a mummy, they'll faint and you can rob them of food and valuables.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

kecske posted:

not zigzag between metropolitan transit hubs like a human SLAM potentially spreading death everywhere you go? Or getting it yourself if you dont already have it?

So check yourself into a Spanish hotel for a month or potentially longer if travel restrictions get stricter or wait a week and take your regularly scheduled flight home and leave your girlfriend behind?

Cacafuego posted:

I’m at the airport and flying home. Maybe I’ll stop by the admirals club in Miami and liberate the TP from every stall to take home and sell on the brown market

Stay where you are and make a new life there you monster!

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Corontine?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

https://twitter.com/Tylerjoelb/status/1238178944131760129

the state of ohio is now urging people to ignore the CDC's official statistics (due to lack of available tests) and assume that at least 1 percent of the state's total population is now infected

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

A neighbor just had six 48-packs of water bottles dropped off at their doorstep by Amazon, sitting there tempting thieves and probably covered in CORVID-19 by warehouse workers not permitted to take any sick days :thumbsup:

Besides we all know toilet paper is the item to stockpile, not water. Whoever commands the greatest amount of TP for their bunghole by the time this is over shall have a grand coronation and be named Cornholio I, the first god emperor of humanity.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

James Woods posted:

So check yourself into a Spanish hotel for a month or potentially longer if travel restrictions get stricter

Yeah man if I was going to make the dumbass decision to travel across the planet for a festival right now I'd make sure I had plenty saved to pay for a hotel for a long time if needed

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

QuoProQuid posted:

the state of ohio is now urging people to ignore the CDC's official statistics (due to lack of available tests) and assume that at least 1 percent of the state's total population is now infected
I agree with that idea

We need to be assuming it’s everywhere

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

Inept posted:

Yeah man if I was going to make the dumbass decision to travel across the planet for a festival right now I'd make sure I had plenty saved to pay for a hotel for a long time if needed

A decision I made in October but then again I have it on good authority from the leader of the free world that this entire thing had been exaggerated and is no more than a common cold.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

poo poo! october? I hadn't realized. sorry, you had to do what you had to do

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

They're closing all the schools in my region in Spain so I guess I'm on holiday. Except I can't really go anywhere.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

James Woods posted:

A decision I made in October but then again I have it on good authority from the leader of the free world that this entire thing had been exaggerated and is no more than a common cold.

As an aside, on behalf of most of the free world: he ain't our leader.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Lmao that dumb loving re:re:re:re FROM A FRIEND AT ST ANFROD email just showed up taped to the fridge in the office kitchen. Should I rip it down or what?

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

QuoProQuid posted:

If this was true that would be amazing news

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

aga. posted:

They're closing all the schools in my region in Spain so I guess I'm on holiday. Except I can't really go anywhere.

Come to Madrid airport and we'll make out over a beer. That way you can get the original strain as I am the Typhoid Mary of Boomer Flu

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Hazo posted:

Lmao that dumb loving re:re:re:re FROM A FRIEND AT ST ANFROD email just showed up taped to the fridge in the office kitchen. Should I rip it down or what?

My father-in-law proudly pulled out his phone at dinner last night to show it to us all and I died a little.

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Pussy Quipped posted:

My father-in-law proudly pulled out his phone at dinner last night to show it to us all and I died a little.

My partner did this and I was silently screaming inside as they read it out to me.

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Pussy Quipped posted:

what is that

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
What is this email?

Edit: beaten by seconds

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

QuoProQuid posted:

I find this hard to believe.

Not even the Roni wants to be in Ohio.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

James Woods posted:

stfu you whiny dumbass maybe next time don't cosplay a deluded american during a pandemic

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Zero One posted:

I find this hard to believe.

Not even the Roni wants to be in Ohio.

Making it just like everything else in Ohio

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Xguard86 posted:

What is this email?

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Xguard86 posted:

What is this email?

did u know that if u drink water every 15 minutes you are immune to coronavirus???

also, if u can hold your breath then you definitely aren’t infected. Stanford says so

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Ontario closed the schools until April 5.

Sewer Adventure
Aug 25, 2004

Xguard86 posted:

What is this email?

http://archive.vn/C5OcJ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Broken hearts have killed more people than any flu, brother.