Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

if anything the press will rally round the flag and invoke blitz spirit so we can't critique our masters at such a fraught time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
During "the bins", Liverpool also had "the bodies" (gravediggers' strike).
Article about it here:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2009/dec/30/liverpool-gravedigger-strikes

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the gruaidian is so loving poo poo, the american response has been "frightening and shocking" for the UK "there are questions"

they've become so incredibly cowed since they got their poo poo smashed up and joined the d-notice council

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
it's going to be a bit difficult saying all those people had to die and there was nothing we could do about it if e.g. Ireland or Norway manage to control the outbreak

I'm so pissed off that they've essentially decided that hundreds of thousands of people can die and the rest of them can spend months on ends worrying about themselves and their loved ones for literally no loving reason

the number already went down you fuckkerrs

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
US - but something that would need considering here if all the schools closed:

https://twitter.com/IlhanMN/status/1237885172189745152?s=20

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OwlFancier posted:

I'm not sure that's quite equipped to deal with the reality, however. Saying "it won't be our fault" before it happens doesn't quite work so well, I think.

Yeah but saying "people are going to die because this is a bad thing, however we're very smart and doing everything right (the science, Laura!) so we'll have the best possible outcome in the circumstances" is setting up their narrative

If you take the tone of "oh poo poo, this is really serious, we need to respond immediately to minimise the impact" that implies you're on the back foot, reacting to events you weren't adequately prepared for, and even if you handle it as well as anyone could you'll get judged for letting it get to that point

Whereas calmly setting it all out in advance and saying you have the best plan lets you project a sense of control and of protecting people as much as possible. They're trying to blag it, tap into that whole blitz spirit thing and make the whole issue sound as mundane as possible. There'll always be questions when it really hits, but this way they get to set the narrative in advance and give people some plucky britane talking points when the blame starts

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Communist Thoughts posted:

if anything the press will rally round the flag and invoke blitz spirit so we can't critique our masters at such a fraught time

Boris just needs to bring up the 'Year of Celebrating Britain' hes planning for 2022 to this year while old folks who remember the 50s are still alive.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
The EU are adopting policies straight from the BNP manifesto now.

quote:

The EU says it will pay €2,000 (£1,770; $2,225) each to migrants in overcrowded camps on the Greek islands willing to go back to their home countries.

EU Home Affairs Commissioner Ylva Johansson announced the scheme in Athens on Thursday. It was agreed with the Greek government.

She said it was temporary - open for one month only - and only for migrants who arrived before 1 January.

She said 5,000 migrants would be eligible for the "voluntary return".

With a reminder that when voluntary repatriation fails, forced repatriation always follows.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

baka kaba posted:

They already did it with the press conference
- biggest public health crisis in a generation
- pandemic sweeping other countries and our own
- people are gonna lose loved ones
- we're following the science
- we're doing everything right
- we're going to time everything perfectly for the maximal outcome
- not our fault

- the last Labour government

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Half the replies are "WHat aBOut tHE SummER/parENTS?!"

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

https://twitter.com/vicgoddard/status/1237735119907102720

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018
:tif:

Since the government is absent, showing no sign of responsibility, usefulness or anything even approximating credibility it's time to suggest actual actions.

1. Declare an extended national holiday.
2. For the sake of argument it will last from Friday 13th March until Tuesday 31st March.
3. All economic activity ceases, it is a "total bank holiday".
4. Debts, payments and discretionary spending ceases.
5. For accounting purposes the days between and including Friday 13th March until Tuesday 31st March do not exist this year.
6. All essential workers will be called to work and can if they so choose. E.g. healthcare and supporting industries, necessary dependencies like utilities, logistics supporting this and food distribution. When whatever is needed, you who make it or move it or maintain it will get the call.
7. For the duration of this holiday all such workers will be employed directly by the government and will continue to be paid plus a premium.
8. For the duration of this holiday all such workers will only be directed by the government. Commercial interests do not exist at this time.
9. All essential workers will continue to earn the premium after the holiday irrespective of the job and irrespective of the employer. All commercial property used during this time will be reimbursed as these organisations proved essential. They should now be considered national interests to be protected just like military ones.

:420:10. We can all live with that, surely? Then we ditch Capitalism and institute a socially responsible economic model (as a blockchain, seriously) where there is no money, no debt, only your positive active creditable participation in society (credits) coupled with your sustainable frugality (credit rating). :420:

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

I'm just curious given that it'd be odd if they stopped reporting cases/deaths because people are going to want to know that. Seems harder to hide when it's something they absolutely track. Also when everyone's banging on the hospital doors seeking treatment because everyone got it at once.

They are already undertesting and hence undercounting and I am sure they will continue doing that.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Dog Therapy: Shockingly Good

Ah, apologies. That would put us on slightly less than the 655 on Feb 27th then. I'd expect ~750 in the official stats for tomorrow.

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Several organisations have raised this over here, including https://feedingbritain.org/ and several head teachers. We're just waiting on the government response...

https://twitter.com/vicgoddard/status/1238036303171780608

E: If anyone was wondering where I got the Italy stats from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/italy

RockyB fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Mar 12, 2020

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

baka kaba posted:

Yeah but saying "people are going to die because this is a bad thing, however we're very smart and doing everything right (the science, Laura!) so we'll have the best possible outcome in the circumstances" is setting up their narrative

And when people point at figures showing that every other country that acted promptly contained the disease while we had ten times as many deaths as the whole of loving China, that narrative gets knocked straight back down again. This isn't austerity deaths that can be excused onto some other factor and can't be compared with other countries and their differing economies. This is tangible and universal.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Munin posted:

They are already undertesting and hence undercounting and I am sure they will continue doing that.

they said there's probably 10 thousand cases at the moment but who knows because no one is going to test anyone :britain:

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

OwlFancier posted:

I am curious how they're gonna try to spin corpses piling up. I'm sure they're going to try, I'm just not sure what excuse they're going to go with.

"It's quite clear that, in the face of these difficult challenges, those who can afford healthcare must be asked to pay their share. Over the coming weeks we will be vastly increasing hospital capacity with the construction of new hospitals made available to those who are able to contribute. This will liberate the existing healthcare infrastructure for NHS patients, and be a better situation for everyone."

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Maltloaf posted:

Since the government is absent, showing no sign of responsibility, usefulness or anything even approximating credibility it's time to suggest actual actions.

2. For the sake of argument it will last from Friday 13th March until Tuesday 31st March.
5. For accounting purposes the days between and including Friday 13th March until Tuesday 31st March do not exist this year.
6. All essential workers will be called to work and can if they so choose. E.g. healthcare and supporting industries, necessary dependencies like utilities, logistics supporting this and food distribution. When whatever is needed, you who make it or move it or maintain it will get the call.
7. For the duration of this holiday all such workers will be employed directly by the government and will continue to be paid plus a premium.
8. For the duration of this holiday all such workers will only be directed by the government. Commercial interests do not exist at this time.
9. All essential workers will continue to earn the premium after the holiday irrespective of the job and irrespective of the employer. All commercial property used during this time will be reimbursed as these organisations proved essential. They should now be considered national interests to be protected just like military ones.

:420:10. We can all live with that, surely? Then we ditch Capitalism and institute a socially responsible economic model (as a blockchain, seriously) where there is no money, no debt, only your positive active creditable participation in society (credits) coupled with your sustainable frugality (credit rating). :420:

Further incentivising going to work by paying a bonus seems like a bad idea.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So have ur media realised boris is using a stunt double while he's chilling in mustique yet

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So have ur media realised boris is using a stunt double while he's chilling in mustique yet

Our media haven't even realised that Dylan the Dog died and was stuffed two months ago. Poor taxidermied mutt is just wheeled out (literally) for press conferences now.

I forgot this from yesterday: https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1237850804981100548

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

This is certainly one way to cut the pensions spend at least.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

RockyB posted:

Our media haven't even realised that Dylan the Dog died and was stuffed two months ago. Poor taxidermied mutt is just wheeled out (literally) for press conferences now.

I forgot this from yesterday: https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1237850804981100548
I do prefer the pre-1801 flag, but this is even better. Bit close to the Ikurriña though.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/edconwaysky/status/1238177127951982594?s=21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxMMElT61A8

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBiz/status/1238208542588493824

Guess who else was at that reception with Nadine Dorries and most of the Cabinet?

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018

sassassin posted:

There are many types of work, this is incentivising only the work that needs to be done in order to ensure that the real work can be done i.e. saving lives and feeding people. And we certainly should be giving these people much, much more anyway.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I'm definitely going to be picking up all my coworkers shifts.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

goddamnedtwisto posted:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBiz/status/1238208542588493824

Guess who else was at that reception with Nadine Dorries and most of the Cabinet?

Phwoar. This is getting my hopes unreasonably high.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So my university finally sent out a message stating that we should all prepare to teach remotely... after March 29, when spring break ends. It was mostly focused on how students will access lectures, discussions, and exams, but no mention was actually made of working from home in the mean time.

So apparently they expect us to continue to come to campus and interact with each other in the lead up to what the government anticipates to be the worst phase of the infection.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I work for a very small company where work from home is pretty much impossible. There are two key staff members there (me and my boss), and the company literally would not be able to function without one of us. I know this because that's what happened last year when I missed a week and a half of work due to a (then apocalyptic) case of the flu. I ended up coming back to work close to a week before I should because the place was falling apart in my absence. The work Coronavirus contingency policy amounts to "Don't get sick".

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

is it just me or does Johnson look like he's got makeup over a black eye (his right, our left)?
Distinct swelling over the top of it, although he also looks extremely sleep-deprived.

Well, there were rumours about a month ago that his lack of public appearances was due to a visible black eye, so...

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

Maltloaf posted:

you've got my vote

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

sassassin posted:

to be fair, I'm not sure there's a better alternative than that outside of a UBI kind of "everyone will get paid during this down time" thing, and even that doesn't allow for the fact that certain jobs still need to be done at this time. Obviously that's not going to happen, so at least giving workers the choice to work (and earn a considerable extra) or not work seems about right

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Happy to report that they've retasked some of the cleaners at work to clean surfaces people are in contact with.

Less happy that they're still not allowed to use any actual cleaning products so just rubbing a wet cloth on all the places people are most in contact with will probably have the opposite effect :v:

Also I probably don't need to tell you but in the event your local chemist/supermarket has not removed the testers from their cosmetics stand please do not use them, or let your children use them, the little bastards love playing with them and they're a prime infection vector.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 12, 2020

Barry the Sprout
Jan 12, 2001

MeinPanzer posted:

So my university finally sent out a message stating that we should all prepare to teach remotely... after March 29, when spring break ends. It was mostly focused on how students will access lectures, discussions, and exams, but no mention was actually made of working from home in the mean time.

So apparently they expect us to continue to come to campus and interact with each other in the lead up to what the government anticipates to be the worst phase of the infection.

Hey, same, yet the local BBC news announced we were the first in our area to teach remotely. Totally ignoring the date.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

The Coronavirus is interesting because it’s one of those very few phenomena that really do put us all on the same level. The virus does not care about absolutely any made up factor humans use to differentiate themselves, it only cares about physical susceptibility.

RockyB
Mar 8, 2007

We have informally implemented the Highlander principle at work. One man in the office, everyone else works from home. Rotate out every day until only one remains uninfected.

E: Also, nobody seems to have mentioned yet but they've cancelled the goddamn local elections.

RockyB fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Mar 12, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Allegedly Dominic Raab had a dry cough and looked very sweaty in the Commons earlier. Given he's (god help us) theoretically next in line if Johnson is incapacitated this is just looking great.

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

The Coronavirus is interesting because it’s one of those very few phenomena that really do put us all on the same level. The virus does not care about absolutely any made up factor humans use to differentiate themselves, it only cares about physical susceptibility.

This is why I am incredibly angry at any talk of protecting "the economy" when it's just a shorthand for "the thing that makes number go up". Nobody gives a poo poo about your loving number and how it's big enough that you can piss it away on toys while everyone else grinds through life. We care about our parents, our friends etc. Number won't do jack for anyone. What the gently caress does it actually take to make these people see sense?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Soylent Yellow posted:

I work for a very small company where work from home is pretty much impossible. There are two key staff members there (me and my boss), and the company literally would not be able to function without one of us. I know this because that's what happened last year when I missed a week and a half of work due to a (then apocalyptic) case of the flu. I ended up coming back to work close to a week before I should because the place was falling apart in my absence. The work Coronavirus contingency policy amounts to "Don't get sick".

Sounds like you had warning to create a robust contingency process last year.