Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
she'll just respawn in her carrack nbd

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
luckily I bought 3 of them back when they were only $300 and can flip two for groceries, supplies or maybe a few amazon gift cards or something

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

TheAgent posted:

luckily I bought 3 of them back when they were only $300 and can flip two for groceries, supplies or maybe a few amazon gift cards or something

With that kind of money I bet you could even buy like a whole liter of hand sanitizer.

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

trucutru posted:

With that kind of money I bet you could even buy like a whole liter of hand sanitizer.

or half a face mask

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Asmodai_00 posted:

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Slur Citizen: Star Citizen Is Slowly Becoming Everything I Hate About Gaming

And it's still early days!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

It’s weird with this one though. CIG has lied and made insane or contradictory promises for years now, but they’ve always been consistent on wanting to make their game punishingly boring and tedious. Like Chris has talked about everything from perma-death (death of a spaceman) to showers and penalties for bad personal hygiene.

This is the horrible vision they backed. It’s a mixture of an extreme autistic obsession with detail and a child’s understanding of science and game development.

This has been the paradox of the game for a long time.

Lots of pieces of the game, and the "design" both as it became real and during their many videos on the topics, did not sound fun or engaging. When anybody would think critically about the game as a "finished product" it was hugely not fun sounding.

Naturally nobody could accept this, because CIG also has so much media out in the Wild you can found any quote and a dozen counter quotes as well. Anything from PVP sliders to healing to not healing to realistic fights worse than COD to having hereditary future pawns to becoming more robotic... even dynamic ship repairs with various qualities of metals you could collect yourself and refine in your giant factory networks.

It's all quite crazy but so very very tedious at every aspect.

The fun is in the dreams. Everybody has a different dream. Every dream is 100% real and valid.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

just want to give a quick update, my gal went into the docs office today with some pretty coronavirus-esque symptoms but because she hasn't traveled outside the country, they won't test her unless she wants to pay almost $600 out of pocket

she was a disneyland a loving week ago

anyway back to star citizen lol

That's pretty terrible. :(

I hope you both stay healthy and recover from whatever it may be quickly.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

quote:

While you are playing the game and suddenly have a disconnection issue and receive an error message with 20012 or 30012 display, this is related to issues with your connection to the servers or in some rare cases due to server stability and performance.

You may be able to solve the connection issue checking the following:
  • Try selecting a different region before pressing the Visit Spaceport button. In the drop-down at the top, select and try EU, US or AUS.
  • Verify your game files if it consistently occurs at the same place and action. In the Launcher, click Settings and Verify.
  • Some players have solved this by updating their video drivers for Nvidia and AMD. For details on graphics, see the Guide to Graphic Issues.
  • If this is happening consistently, you will need to do some network troubleshooting. You'll need to follow troubleshooting steps for your router/modem or contact your ISP for assistance.

When this error occurs, please add your report to this Issue Council.

quote:

increasing mhz on ram worked for me

quote:

i cleaned my cmos battery and upgraded to rgb. seems to have helped.

quote:

I undervolted my CPU. The stock voltage was causing too many whatts and the CPU kept getting confused.
totally normal to fix issues like this
edit: yes I am aware the last two are a joke

TheAgent fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Mar 12, 2020

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

The Titanic posted:

That's pretty terrible. :(

I hope you both stay healthy and recover from whatever it may be quickly.
I'm finally over whatever the gently caress I had (some slight wheezing still after almost 9 weeks tho) and she's already feeling better but for a tightness in her lungs and minor cough, so I think we'll be okay

we are self quarantining as much as possible though just in case, not to infect anyone else

which sucks because I miss my favorite mexican restaurant/bar already and probably won't be back for 2 to 3 weeks. this is gonna hurt the downtown area by me really, really hard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

In the background cIglord69xxx tends to his crop of nuts, carefully watering it, as he does so he thinks 'in a few months I'll be able to harvest these and sell them' - He's satisfied with his lot, in this, his ideal space game

The memories of a CIG telling people that there is enough gameplay in a single planet that stole players will never want to go venture into space is nice. :)

Also be sure to hunt your procedural bird and animal wildlife to sell to the passing space traders.

I too look forward to reenacting Recettear except in space and with the threat of players with lust on their minds showing me the inevitable consequences of piracy while also hoping they do it fast enough I can eat some procedural eggs before I suddenly die. :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TheAgent posted:

I'm finally over whatever the gently caress I had (some slight wheezing still after almost 9 weeks tho) and she's already feeling better but for a tightness in her lungs and minor cough, so I think we'll be okay

we are self quarantining as much as possible though just in case, not to infect anyone else

which sucks because I miss my favorite mexican restaurant/bar already and probably won't be back for 2 to 3 weeks. this is gonna hurt the downtown area by me really, really hard

Yay!

I hope the road to full recovery is close. :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
the survival mechanics in particular are funny because they were talked about a lot and lots of citizens were seemingly excited for them, but now it seems like somehow there were people blindsided by there being survival mechanics planned

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Lol that you can die from jumping too much and having a heart attack, but suddenly they're all surprised and mad that you can starve to death if you don't eat

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
Because there's a huge difference between "my Dream game" and "it's just a video game."

When CIG talk about survival it's like enjoying a meal with your crew discussing your next mission while guys play pool in the background and the captain is talking to the flight crew.

The actual reality is you have to fight to find a "Nutribar" and double click on it so your food bar goes upwards and you don't suffer or die.

Dream Vs game has been the line CIG dances around with fantastic grace, enough to get people to invest thousands of dollars into a video game for kids.

And even the game he's primarily working on isn't even the one you are spending thousands of dollars for. It's a scripted wing commander clone with 3D cutscenes featuring some movie stars.

It's like a cake but every layer is a disappointment or a lie. :)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'm sure that guy posting about how anything will be fun with good enough animations is picturing something like the monster hunter cooking cutscenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfXQCItMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesCTqVdDjM

except nothing in star citizen will have a fraction of the polish, vision and sense of fun as any of these. instead you'll repeatedly awkwardly first person munch on a space burger to stop your bar from going down

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 12, 2020

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

TheAgent posted:

edit: yes I am aware the last two are a joke

Jokes on you as my reduced CPU voltage resulted in a much more chilled hot tub experience in my Idris.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Popete posted:

The key to arguing in favour of Star Citizen is that simultaneously everything has been known for years and you're an idiot for not knowing this was gonna be part of the game and also it's not in the game yet so you can't say it's a bad thing.

My favorite is the guys who mock the people who says it’s never coming out while also mocking the people that say “once they build the tools, development will speed way up!”

You can’t be smug both ways. If development doesn’t speed up by a huge amount the game is never coming out, it’s certainly never coming out at its current pace. But redditors have to show how above it all and smarter they are than the others.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Titanic posted:

Because there's a huge difference between "my Dream game" and "it's just a video game."

quote:

i will never get to go to space. i want the next best thing, which is why i follow this game. which means virtually making GBS threads in space toilets, taking space showers and eating space food. i want full immersion.

My dream game!

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Lol that you can die from jumping too much and having a heart attack, but suddenly they're all surprised and mad that you can starve to death if you don't eat

You can die from your body spewing your ship modules out into your wank pod as you wake up, crushing you to death, but that's an honourable way to meet your demise of course, unlike starving to death. No Klingon would ever die like that

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

IronicDongz posted:

I'm sure that guy posting about how anything will be fun with good enough animations is picturing something like the monster hunter cooking cutscenes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqAfXQCItMA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XesCTqVdDjM

except nothing in star citizen will have a fraction of the polish, vision and sense of fun as any of these. instead you'll repeatedly awkwardly first person munch on a space burger to stop your bar from going down

The thing about those cutscenes is A) I skip them 99% of the time, and B) My hunter doesn't just loving keel over dead and lose all my Rathalos Rubies or whatever the gently caress if I choose not to eat before a hunt.

Mandatory bar management poo poo (food, oxygen, pooping, whatever) is never fun lol.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Dementropy posted:

Further exchanges from :reddit::

--Im not a troll, or looking for a refund. I'm a pissed off backer that is sick of being lied to.

--That’s literally the exact definition of all the refundsters. You would fit right in.
Or take a break breath a little bit and come back in a month. All will be well.

--No. This is the last of a growing list of reasons to believe CIG is going to flub this

Oh, good to know. All it takes to become a refundian is being sick of being lied to. Can only presume then that those who are not refundians are still fine with being lied to.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Breath of the Wild nailed cooking animations, sorry CIG.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

The Titanic posted:

Without Derek smart or a huge goon fleet of "bad guys" for everybody to rally around and hate on, I guess it's time for people to actually look inward at the product they've been defending for so long.

The luxury Star Citizen has/had is that it was almost a movement or a belief in something great that people could believe in rather than expect anything from. That belief was amazing and it helped cig in ways we may never fully know.

But as time goes on, and the powerful belief slowly ebbs away, you're left with a video game. A barely there, barely functional, not really even fun video game. And to make matters worse, a lot of the future planning and dedication of Star Citizen progress is not fun.

Not only is it not fun, but it's not really acknowledged either. Sure they have this roadmap of endlessly pushed out goals, but then things that get done weren't even on the road map or talked about in depth anywhere. It's almost like tons and tons of smoke and mirrors happening along with kind of blatant lies.

The best part is this has been happening for years and years. From Ben announcing how he played through all of squadron 42 years ago to original Kickstarter promises not even on the table anymore or pulled back to obscurity... all clouded by "oh things change!" by the faithful. Who slowly are losing faith.

Without a big bad guy for CIG to trumpet at and "prove wrong" people need to evaluate the game for what it is. Was it really this life changing episode worth dumping thousands of dollars into for your space fleet? Or is it literally just a video game for kids, with mechanics thrown into it that are the equivalent of a barely together early access title hoping to get noticed but copying assets and tutorials?

Outside of the assets, there's not a lot else but promises of greatness and yet none of it works. All the actual mechanics are pretty painfully basic, and sometimes even pieces from games that are losing traction like survival simulators with a million gauges and pee bars you need to maintain in order to have 5m of fun between 30m of foraging to restore some bar graph value to normal or above.

You could even ask yourself "what is Star Citizen?" And then follow that up by making that same post to your online buddies and see for yourself how nobody has the same vision. You could even ask yourself why, 8 years into a project, does nobody even know what they're going to get from the game?

Why could that be you think?

Oh by the way, here's a new ship to buy. Just look at this commercial for it. It punches above its weight. :)

Is this what rolling a natural 20 on a wisdom check looks like?

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The Titanic posted:

When CIG talk about survival it's like enjoying a meal with your crew discussing your next mission while guys play pool in the background and the captain is talking to the flight crew.

The actual reality is you have to fight to find a "Nutribar" and double click on it so your food bar goes upwards and you don't suffer or die.

Dream Vs game has been the line CIG dances around with fantastic grace, enough to get people to invest thousands of dollars into a video game for kids.

And even the game he's primarily working on isn't even the one you are spending thousands of dollars for. It's a scripted wing commander clone with 3D cutscenes featuring some movie stars.

It's like a cake but every layer is a disappointment or a lie. :)

Yeah I think you’re right, citizens had in their minds this amazing immersive experience, but the reality is just babysitting meters. But hey the hopeful citizens are claiming that it won’t be boring because SC will will high fidelity food and eating animations! So you can watch 5 minutes of the same animation of a candy bar moving towards and away from your spaceman’s mouth as new high-poly bite marks appear!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Foo Diddley posted:

or half a face mask

Sounds about right.

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Inacio posted:

(quoted some citizen repeatedly insisting that "If something is well-animated, it will be fun. If a feature is animated right, it will be fun on its own. I think CIG is going to animate food animations to a very high standard so it will be fun to interact with food/drink.")

I like that you just positively identified Chris Roberts' sockpuppet account and didn't even make a big deal about it.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Beet Wagon posted:

The thing about those cutscenes is A) I skip them 99% of the time, and B) My hunter doesn't just loving keel over dead and lose all my Rathalos Rubies or whatever the gently caress if I choose not to eat before a hunt.

Mandatory bar management poo poo (food, oxygen, pooping, whatever) is never fun lol.

Please think about the poor developers, they have to pad this turd out with something. Mandatory 30 minute travel times per hour weren't enough! There's still another half hour to go in which the player expects for things to occur in the game that he paid thousands of dollars for! Making his number go down unless he flies to a station, docks at the station, rides the elevator, walks to the foodcourt, orders a single burger, sits and eats it, and then does it all over again in reverse to get back to his ship- now that's some excellent filler. 15 more minutes easy.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

quote:

I did. I'm all for these kinds of survival elements as long as they're not implemented in such a way that they're a chore. Especially with all of the food courts in SC even in alpha, even a light incentive to visit them and potentially meet people there or hang out with friends is totally fine in my book.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Daztek posted:

lol, survival mechanics broke Agent_Mothman

:lol: I never thought I’d live to see the day that Zealot put down his arms and conceded :itwaspoo:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

TheAgent posted:

just want to give a quick update, my gal went into the docs office today with some pretty coronavirus-esque symptoms but because she hasn't traveled outside the country, they won't test her unless she wants to pay almost $600 out of pocket

she was a disneyland a loving week ago

anyway back to star citizen lol

This is why I just laugh at our assumption that we have this poo poo under control. Our system is designed, from the ground up, to exacerbate a pandemic, not contain it.

When are pandemic simulations coming to Star Citizen? We're rounding out a decade and I haven't heard poo poo about rare Andromeda Strain space diseases that can move among NPC and player populations, adding risk to "seedy" city/spaceport areas, prostitute and inevitable consequence of piracy gameplay, and giving a purpose to medical and science bays. Christ, CIG, how could you have possibly missed this one?

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Really looking forward to the next revolutionary mechanic from CIG where you will need to constantly drop what you're doing and answer texts from your digital grandmother who is very worried about all this space pirating and needs to be reassured. If you don't keep her confidence meter high she will call the space police for your protection and you'll end up going to space prison where they'll throw you in the cooler for an hour or two before dealing with the paperwork for your release.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Sarsapariller posted:

Really looking forward to the next revolutionary mechanic from CIG where you will need to constantly drop what you're doing and answer texts from your digital grandmother who is very worried about all this space pirating and needs to be reassured. If you don't keep her confidence meter high she will call the space police for your protection and you'll end up going to space prison where they'll throw you in the cooler for an hour or two before dealing with the paperwork for your release.

But if the paperwork-signing animations are high-quality, that will translate to amazing and fun gameplay.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Given that we'll all be forced to self-quarantine within the week, does it make sense for everyone to buy into Star Citizen and interact with each other only in the Verse?

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Given that we'll all be forced to self-quarantine within the week, does it make sense for everyone to buy into Star Citizen and interact with each other only in the Verse?

Well I sure can't think of any other way we could interact online, so

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I wouldn't exactly call star citizen a bug free experience either

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Foo Diddley posted:

Well I sure can't think of any other way we could interact online, so

Yes, there are other ways, but are they more fidelitous?

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: "Food/Drink/Oxygen/etc. are REQUIRED for a fun exploration gameplay loop."

: "Have an extra vote.

I mean. If we ever want to experience the true colonization of a distance newly discovered world, then this has to be a part of it. Otherwise, whats the point?

The point of true colonization in a game is... to eat and have a poo poo?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
It's not the destination but the shits we take along the way.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

MedicineHut posted:

The point of true colonization in a game is... to eat and have a poo poo?
You can't have colonization without a colon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
eh, it's a lovely mechanic that will create more problems for them to solve in an MMO context.

I mean I can already think of a few ways to workaround or make the system friendlier to those who don't want to be arsed to feed their commando or regulate his/her poop schedule.

Forum intern, you know where to find me.