Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
My biggest problem with streaming is you're relying on a big company to provide what you want to watch. I want to have Ghostbusters, Big Trouble in Little China and Jaws available to me at any time.

Plus special features are kinda dead in this day and age. If you want to learn about a movie or tv shows background, there's about a zillion podcasts and youtube videos to learn everything you wanted to know about anything you want without the bias that they often have. Or at least the limitations of being involved with what they're talking about. Like The Simpsons commentaries you can tell when they want to talk about something but they can't. But then you listen to Talking SImpsons and oh hey, its because person working on the show X was a giant rear end in a top hat or they made some big company really upset or something else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You figure that Rolf would be all over ripping his media and loading that to a huge server to use on a Plex account.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

You figure that Rolf would be all over ripping his media and loading that to a huge server to use on a Plex account.
It's becoming kind of clear that he's not that technical of a guy. A few months back he admits that he's using DVDs as part of his video workflow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Yeah. It's really weird. You figure the Screenwave crew would show him a thing or two.

Dovi
Feb 21, 2013

He talked about using dvds on an old Barbie bts from like 8 years ago he's just never upgraded

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Detective No. 27 posted:

Yeah. It's really weird. You figure the Screenwave crew would show him a thing or two.
One of his recent videos (I think it was the Hyde fangame) had him mention he stopped with the DVD recorder.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He was using a standalone device to record games that went to SD, and simultaneously to DVD for backup:
https://twitter.com/cinemassacre/status/1204945440417992704

Presumably it was something that accepted component video using RGB-modded consoles Mike set up over the last few years. His captured footage has looked pretty good for a while now.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Even if he was a more technical guy, that sounds like a nightmarish undertaking with the amount of media he has.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I can understand still using DVDs for his work, as blank dvds are dirt cheap these days.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Some of the nitpicks are like okay, that’s understandable, but to act like the format is not a clear upgrade is wack. That’s one of the more clickbaity videos I’ve seen out of him. And I mean he’s a filmmaker, you’d think he’d appreciate advances in the home theatre medium.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well the best film archive in the world, The Victorville Film Archive, is on vhs

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
You guys do realize that he made a stupid video about blurays to advertise his own blurays, right? I'm just checking with you to be sure.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

He has a few good points but he just seems to be ignorant about some of the stuff. Like Blu[e] in Blu-ray referring to the blue-ish laser diode color versus the red color in DVD lasers

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Oh yeah, there was so much to that video I totally forgot about that. The technology behind the blue laser is fascinating. I never knew just how something so simple as blue light was such a groundbreaking moment in tech until I saw some video explaining it a few years back.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Detective No. 27 posted:

Oh yeah, there was so much to that video I totally forgot about that. The technology behind the blue laser is fascinating. I never knew just how something so simple as blue light was such a groundbreaking moment in tech until I saw some video explaining it a few years back.

This one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoTALRhAqWc

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That's the one. In my head I was thinking it was Technology Connections, but I didn't start watching him until recently.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
LEDs went from "those dim green yellow and red shits on my electronics" to "loving lighting up half the city with a 40' video wall" and it still amazes me.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

New episode on the different home ports of Mortal Kombat 1, including the Tiger handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

I'm more excited about the cliffhanger. The next episode will be about Time Killers.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Gavok posted:

New episode on the different home ports of Mortal Kombat 1, including the Tiger handhelds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCUtXD27UyQ

I'm more excited about the cliffhanger. The next episode will be about Time Killers.

Looks it it’ll be more about MK ripoffs in general. I’m looking forward to it since there’s an absolute gold mine of material there for James that I’m surprised he hasn’t gone into already.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Piss3d that Nerd didn't address the greatest home port of Mk, the SegaCD port.

Waldo138
Aug 8, 2006

FilthyImp posted:

I rented that as a kid and stopped playing it as soon I got to the final boss. Sooooo much loading every time Shang Tsung transforms.

I was having a good time until that part.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

FilthyImp posted:

John Linneman did a deep dive into all the MK1 ports and rereleases, including some dodgy Chinese bootlegs, about a month ago. It's pretty great if you want to see the different versions analyzed in detail:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxc_K7RKRy0

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SeANMcBAY posted:

Looks it it’ll be more about MK ripoffs in general. I’m looking forward to it since there’s an absolute gold mine of material there for James that I’m surprised he hasn’t gone into already.

I hope so. Especially if it means James talking up Tattoo Assassins. Granted, there's no way for him to play it outside of an emulator because it was never actually released, but an MK ripoff with diarrhea attacks is right up his alley.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
I liked this episode a lot compared to the more recent ones. Just the Nerd, some game history, ports of questionable quality, and his opinions

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I had the MK On Gamegear. At the time it seemed awesome.

Oh man I played time killers. All I remembered was that i lost both by arms and won by headbutt.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Mar 14, 2020

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Bruh, I had Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the mother loving Game.com and I thought it was a good time waster.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It's amazing that now you can play a version of the new game that plays almost as well as the others portably.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Origin posted:

Bruh, I had Mortal Kombat Trilogy on the mother loving Game.com and I thought it was a good time waster.

Is that the Tiger one with the modem? drat.

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

twistedmentat posted:

Yes. And I never even got to see the modem because let’s face it, no one cared about New Hampshire outside of primary years.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Origin posted:

Yes. And I never even got to see the modem because let’s face it, no one cared about New Hampshire outside of primary years.

Hey, us Massachusetts people care about you. I mean mainly so we don't have to pay sales tax but still...

Vakal
May 11, 2008

twistedmentat posted:

Looks legit to me.

Tribladeofchaos
Jul 2, 2008

IT'S SHOWTIME!

Didn't that version not even have Scorpion or Sub-Zero? :lol:

Origin
Feb 15, 2006

Vakal posted:

Looks legit to me.

The screen on that thing was some exercise is quantum mechanics since you could only see things clearly when there was no motion. So, Reptile’s fatality would look like a large amoeba devouring a smaller one.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

New episode about Mortal Kombat Ripoff games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldC4hw8AJ2c

Gavok posted:

I hope so. Especially if it means James talking up Tattoo Assassins. Granted, there's no way for him to play it outside of an emulator because it was never actually released, but an MK ripoff with diarrhea attacks is right up his alley.

Vindication!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I got a good laugh out of the edits to classic AVGN destructions.

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

I played Time Killers and knew it was terrible even as a kid, but those other games, holy poo poo.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Former Human posted:

I played Time Killers and knew it was terrible even as a kid, but those other games, holy poo poo.

There was a bowling alley near me in the 90s that had 2 games, Time Killers and a Macross game, so I played a lot of Time Killers.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UwIdSYyDn1I

As usual, Mike doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

"There are games missing here because Nintendo wants you to buy the SNES Classic"

Yeah. The thing that's no longer in production.

Edit: brings up licensing briefly when discussing TMNT, but has no idea why Contra, Megaman, or Castlevania aren't on there. :psyduck:

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:34 on May 5, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What s fuckin idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

I love how they wonder why there isn't certain Capcom games there and then they briefly go back to the menu and you see that they have the Capcom Beatem'up Collection. :thunk: