Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is your first pick in the deputy leadership race?
This poll is closed.
R. Allin-Khan 6 1.60%
R. Burgon 80 21.33%
D. Butler 72 19.20%
A. Rayner 35 9.33%
I. Murray 5 1.33%
P. Flaps 177 47.20%
Total: 375 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

We have a stock of hand sanitiser at work, but the cleaners remove it from our desks every night because of the new clear desk policy.

Make a loving exception.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
I have a sneaking feeling that speedrunning Coronavirus through the population so that we're back up and running before the rest of Europe is the kind of idea that would appeal to Dominic Cummings. Probably not true, but it would probably explain the aggressive indifference the government sees to be showing to this. Losing a few hundred thousand mostly economically inactive pensioners with expensive medical needs is probably a bonus for him.

No More Toast
May 11, 2013

Atheist! Imperialist!!

The University I work at is going to be making a big update about coronavirus tomorrow, but I can't imagine they'll be doing anything particularly decisive.

They won't close down the whole campus without it being mandated by the government and even if they go to remote teaching rumours are that they'll probably keep a few key places open. Like the Library... which is where I work... :eng99:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Maltloaf posted:

This is why I am incredibly angry at any talk of protecting "the economy" when it's just a shorthand for "the thing that makes number go up". Nobody gives a poo poo about your loving number and how it's big enough that you can piss it away on toys while everyone else grinds through life. We care about our parents, our friends etc. Number won't do jack for anyone. What the gently caress does it actually take to make these people see sense?

also the number already went down

Maltloaf
Jul 3, 2018

XMNN posted:

also the number already went down

And yet nothing of value was lost.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

What, no Spanish Armada?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They didn't have the stock market then, it was invented by the dutch in the 17th century.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Happy to report that they've retasked some of the cleaners at work to clean surfaces people are in contact with.

Less happy that they're still not allowed to use any actual cleaning products so just rubbing a wet cloth on all the places people are most in contact with will probably have the opposite effect :v:
This seems aggressively poor. Like how much would it cost to throw a tiny bit of washing soda or carbolic acid (or even something from the 20th century onwards) in there like people have known was the right thing to do since germ theory was some new age weirdness coming out of France?

stev posted:

We have a stock of hand sanitiser at work, but the cleaners remove it from our desks every night because of the new clear desk policy.

Make a loving exception.
They're selling it. :ssh:

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

drat. That would have been a swing to see. "Oh no, we're going to be conquered by Spain! Sell, sell! .... wait no, we're going to become the biggest empire in history, buy, buy!"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

This seems aggressively poor. Like how much would it cost to throw a tiny bit of washing soda or carbolic acid (or even something from the 20th century onwards) in there like people have known was the right thing to do since germ theory was some new age weirdness coming out of France?

It's not a cost thing, it's because of health and safety :v:

They're not allowed to use any cleaning products in customer facing areas during the day.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
:hotpickle:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

They've got a million different types of cleaner out the back, including bleach that'll take your skin off, but the best you're allowed is maybe dilute dettol and you can't let it out of your sight in case a kid eats it or something.

They'll likely do a proper clean each evening but shops are filthy places.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
One might think that the normal rules could be changed during a pandemic.

Like yeah, health and safety rules are usually written in workers' blood, but they also usually presume normal social conditions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh it's not for the worker's benefit, they're quite happy to clean properly, it's because the stores don't want to be liable if someone gets a rash or something.

Which is more provable than someone getting coronavirus.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Can't they do a Boris Johnson and put up a sign saying "if you get a rash, go on the internet"?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1238228081984372736

Premier League fixtures still going ahead this weekend though

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/NCStinn/status/1235238858020843522

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

UK has significantly less ventilators per person than basically any other country in europe. we're 29th out of 34 or something.

loving hell

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

https://twitter.com/standardsport/status/1238228081984372736

Premier League fixtures still going ahead this weekend though

Oh good! They train right down the road from me! Their team doctor comes to my pharmacy all the time! Joy. Hertfordshire is a plague pit rn, don't come here

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

HopperUK posted:

Oh good! They train right down the road from me! Their team doctor comes to my pharmacy all the time! Joy. Hertfordshire is a plague pit rn, don't come here

Hertfordshire has the most infections of any local authority, doesn't it?

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Thanks to a steady diet of BBC, my housemate is firmly of the belief that delaying any useful measures must be the right decision and had no idea of, for example, Vietnam quarantining whole neighbourhoods, so if you were wondering how the government was going to spin mass chaos and death, the answer is that it will unfortunately just be inevitable and there was really nothing we could have done to stop it.

Please don't quote that first part out of context, thank you.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
On the plus side, all of these big names testing positive suggests to me that we literally all have it. That's a good thing! It means the mortality rate could be way lower than we think because we're only seeing a small percentage of cases, most of them the worst hit.

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Mar 13, 2020

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

OwlFancier posted:

Oh it's not for the worker's benefit, they're quite happy to clean properly, it's because the stores don't want to be liable if someone gets a rash or something.

Which is more provable than someone getting coronavirus.

I did some volunteer work in an After School Club for 7-11 year olds a few years ago. If one of them cut themselves - paper cut or whatever, we weren't allowed to stick a plaster on the cut to stop the blood, which naturally I only discovered was a rule after I washed a kid's hand under a tap, dried it and stuck a plaster on the cut.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Alternatively the nonce societies are the primary transmission vectors.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

I did some volunteer work in an After School Club for 7-11 year olds a few years ago. If one of them cut themselves - paper cut or whatever, we weren't allowed to stick a plaster on the cut to stop the blood, which naturally I only discovered was a rule after I washed a kid's hand under a tap, dried it and stuck a plaster on the cut.

Ah yes standard first aid procedure, if you're not the designated first aider they have to fend for themselves :v:

(I quite often cut chunks out of my fingers with the box openers)

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

ThomasPaine posted:

On the plus side, all of these big names testing positive suggests to me that we literally all have it. That's a good thing! It means the mortality rate could be way lower than we think because we're only seeing a small reaction or cases, most of them the worst hit.

I spoke to my sister today. She works in a hospital away from any reported outbreaks, and says that it's an open secret that they've been getting cases for the past couple of days, but are waiting on confirmations. Not people phoning 111 because they have a cough, but people admitted with serious respiratory distress. Apparently this isn't an outlier, a lot of hospitals are starting to see the same. We all have it, and the official infection rate is going off a ski-jump over the weekend.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hertfordshire has the most infections of any local authority, doesn't it?

Yeah, think so. One of the earliest deaths was in Watford.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Friend of mine works for a pension company (that pays pensions out to former public sector workers) and they're doing emergency planning for how they will keep paying pensions if all the staff are off sick. Not sure that 'payroll' is a function that can be done from home easily!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Forgive my ignorance but... why?

They surely don't have a big sack of gold they have to hand out to people? Isn't it electronic?

Particularly for pensions, does someone have to keep pressing the button to make the pension money come out of the tube?

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMO-QzFiTBY&t=159s

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Yeah I mean like I work for a company that literally makes medicine to keep people alive, dispensed same day as the prescription. If our workforce cannot physically come into work to make the drugs, hundreds of already sick people go to hospital and a bad situation gets worse. HR and payroll jobs are about the least worrying "industry" I can think of that might be affected.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

i think we have the worst response so far in the world right? i dont think anyone else is just planning to let the virus kill everyone as fast as possible

the USA is way ahead of us, even. and has 10x as many ventilators per capita

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Yeah but they're going to charge people $50k to use them, that has to be worth a few minus points.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

its gonna be extremely cold comfort when bojo resigns after 1 year and 3 million dead

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1238240502505508867
hopefully they cancel everything, decision to be made tomorrow morning

Apraxin
Feb 22, 2006

General-Admiral

Guavanaut posted:

Yeah but they're going to charge people $50k to use them, that has to be worth a few minus points.
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1238154282756685824

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
God drat all those old tories must be feeling betrayed right now, thoroughly betrayed. If only someone had warned them.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Forgive my ignorance but... why?

They surely don't have a big sack of gold they have to hand out to people? Isn't it electronic?

Particularly for pensions, does someone have to keep pressing the button to make the pension money come out of the tube?

I don't know all the ins and outs of it.
But if payrolls don't function, whether pensions or earnings, that's another load of people not going to be able to pay bills and in the financial poo poo. I'm just saying 'pensions' because that's what my friend does.

Marmaduke! posted:

Yeah I mean like I work for a company that literally makes medicine to keep people alive, dispensed same day as the prescription. If our workforce cannot physically come into work to make the drugs, hundreds of already sick people go to hospital and a bad situation gets worse. HR and payroll jobs are about the least worrying "industry" I can think of that might be affected.

Well obviously that's most immediately important.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

God drat all those old tories must be feeling betrayed right now, thoroughly betrayed. If only someone had warned them.

They're probably just whingeing about the millenials causing it by rubbing avocado all over each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Something that came up in a cybersecurity class this week was that they're worried about it being a security problem. Having to open up more holes in the network or more people taking the opportunity to clicking on phishing.msg or the people who deal with that being sick. I mean, what if someone took the opportunity to hack into the pension company and give pensions to everybody?