Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Heartwarming thought of the day:

Lung cancer and being old are some really, really bad comorbid factors for Covid-19.

Life comes at you fast, huh Rush Limbaugh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

She's going to succeed in offing herself one of these days.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Howdy y'all. The New England Journal of Medicine put up a site for COVID. NEJM is an old and trustwrothy journal, I cite it frequently.

https://www.nejm.org/coronavirus

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm getting 9/11 vibes from all of this. As in the level of paranoia and disinformation reminds me of the months after 9/11.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Funny you mention that, since Disneyland is closing for the first time since 9/11, and the only time it's been more than a one day closure.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Man, allergy season- which is already predicted to be severe on account of the mild winter much of the lower 48 experienced- is going to be all kinds of fun with everyone freaking out over others coughing and sneezing.

May as well just WFH until June at this point.

https://twitter.com/KrangTNelson/status/1237879922007236615?s=19

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Slim Pickens posted:

Funny you mention that, since Disneyland is closing for the first time since 9/11, and the only time it's been more than a one day closure.

God I bet the wait times were amazing on 9/12

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm getting 9/11 vibes from all of this. As in the level of paranoia and disinformation reminds me of the months after 9/11.

I have some friends who live in NY but are in LA right now freaking out that NYC is about to be put under quarantine and they won’t be able to get home. Apparently there’s some fake news spreading on social media.

It’s a good thing we have competent, stable leadership doing their best to keep the panic rat at bay. :smithicide:

Edit: NYC quarantine rumors bad enough that DiBlasio had to say something about it

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1238228404761178112

pantslesswithwolves fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Mar 12, 2020

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

I have some friends who live in NY but are in LA right now freaking out that NYC is about to be put under quarantine and they won’t be able to get home. Apparently there’s some fake news spreading on social media.

It’s a good thing we have competent, stable leadership doing their best to keep the panic rat at bay. :smithicide:

Actually Trump did mention possibly restricting travel to and from the West coast earlier today.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

bird cooch posted:

Actually Trump did mention possibly restricting travel to and from the West coast earlier today.

wow

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Holy loving poo poo

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dunno why, but this is the news item that made me admit that we're probably hosed.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Edit: NYC quarantine rumors bad enough that DiBlasio had to say something about it

https://twitter.com/NYCMayor/status/1238228404761178112

People look at me like I kicked their dog when I say the internet is trash

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

put this on my tombstone

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It's always nice when Donnie finds another challenge he's not up to, EVERY loving DAY.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://twitter.com/bubbaprog/status/1237923303337209856

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

my kinda ape posted:

Yeah the 98.6 thing is just an average. Each person is different.

Also interestingly there's recent research showing that the average seems to have dropped .5-1 degree in the last 150 years since the 98.6 number was established. It is unclear why.

Academia medical research goons: It’s because people have gotten fatter (less starving? Food scarcity!) over 150 years and don’t need to keep their body temperature as high to maintain good activity thanks to consistent caloric intake and reliable layers of fat and muscle.

grant funding right there go to town, get published

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BaileyCarlin/status/1238147875143647234?s=19

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

M_Gargantua posted:

Academia medical research goons: Its because people have gotten fatter (less starving? Food scarcity!) over 150 years and dont need to keep their body temperature as high to maintain good activity thanks to consistent caloric intake and reliable layers of fat and muscle.

grant funding right there go to town, get published

In the Sawbones episode about it, one possible explanation was that people used to just be constantly fighting off infections all the time

Speaking of infections, CU-Boulder just sent out an alert saying an employee had a "presumptive positive" test today

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
So I am supposed to fly home from Tampa to DFW in the morning and I am immunosuppressed. my wife and I are trying to decide if I should just buy a shity Craigslist car and drive home instead of flying, or just risk it because the people in the hotel that are flying in are saying that the airport is empty.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
If you do fly wash your hands a lot and don’t touch your face.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Hahahaha

Anyway, can cats/dogs get this? I'm taking a break from work for the foreseeable future and I don't want to get them sick when I inevitably catch it

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bird cooch posted:

So I am supposed to fly home from Tampa to DFW in the morning and I am immunosuppressed. my wife and I are trying to decide if I should just buy a shity Craigslist car and drive home instead of flying, or just risk it because the people in the hotel that are flying in are saying that the airport is empty.

CRAIGSLIST ADVENTURE AND POST A THREAD

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bird cooch posted:

Can you get a mask? The airlines have been sanitizing things pretty hard.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007

Fallom posted:

Can you get a mask? The airlines have been sanitizing things pretty hard.

I don't think anyone can get a mask today. They are all gone. I have plenty in the shop at home.

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you do fly wash your hands a lot and don’t touch your face.

Lucky me I keep sanitizer in my purse, but I'm not stoaked and trying to not spook my wife and kid.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Hopkins doc just said every household should have 3 months of food stocked. On CNBC.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Milo and POTUS posted:

Hahahaha

Anyway, can cats/dogs get this? I'm taking a break from work for the foreseeable future and I don't want to get them sick when I inevitably catch it

No for dogs at least

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i am so proud of the zoomers

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

much as I like this it has stdh written all over it

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

pmchem posted:

Hopkins doc just said every household should have 3 months of food stocked. On CNBC.

That's a good plan except for the tens of millions of people living from hand to mouth.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

bitcoin fell to 7300 lol

bengy81
May 8, 2010

A Bad Poster posted:

That's a good plan except for the tens of millions of people living from hand to mouth.

Also, as my wife learned today, I'd you haven't been to the grocery store in the last two weeks, you aren't getting more than 3 days of anything, much less three months.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

A Bad Poster posted:

I can't fit three months.

Stores were fine except for the toilet paper. Thought that was a joke. It wasn't. People were buying the gently caress out of it

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

bitcoin fell to 7300 lol

$4700 now.

This is good for Bitcoin, because

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

and none of that food matters if you don't have a water supply.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MRC48B posted:

and none of that food matters if you don't have a water supply.

gently caress. If I get home I’m gonna have to start fishing hard to stack calories.

Don’t think the warden will mind too much.

bird cooch
Jan 19, 2007
Does anyone have a link to that CNBC story, I'm trying to convince my family to take this semi seriously.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the kids are alright

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

bird cooch posted:

Does anyone have a link to that CNBC story, I'm trying to convince my family to take this semi seriously.

Here’s the video, start at 3:40 https://www.cnbc.com/video/2020/03/12/every-household-should-be-ready-to-hunker-down-for-3-months-expert.html