Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I'm curious about the supposed Big Bad that comes when the threshold is crossed. But I am extremely curious about the (NEXT EPISODE PREVIEW SPOILERS) straight-up organic-looking ships that pop into orbit above Soji's home planet

]

Am I the only one getting Bajoran warp sail ship vibes here? Would be an odd but potentially interesting callback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Nah I though that too for a hot second :lol:

e: actually they remind me a lot of Thargoid ships from Elite: Dangerous

Snow Cone Capone fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Mar 12, 2020

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
So we’re finally getting a star trex x lexx crossover???

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

The idea of some ancient race 200-300,000 years ago straight up moving eight stars and a planet together as a warning for future cultures is some wild poo poo that kinda feels like something I'd find stumbling around with a science ship in Stellaris.

The ability to do something like that has been mentioned at least once, the Tkon were capable of moving stars, according to The Last Outpost but I'm not sure if the timeframe lines up.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
This show has insane tonal shifts within single episodes, and oh god the music that comes along with it.

Trying to be too grimdark at times, then too quirky, and above all, it’s just desperately trying too hard at everything in every episode and I can feel it every time and it makes me cringe.

Yes, I know, I shouldn’t be watching then, right? Well sunk cost fallacy I suppose and franchise devotion, but I really keep watching wanting it to be better.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Delsaber posted:

The idea of some ancient race 200-300,000 years ago straight up moving eight stars and a planet together as a warning for future cultures is some wild poo poo that kinda feels like something I'd find stumbling around with a science ship in Stellaris.

The ability to do something like that has been mentioned at least once, the Tkon were capable of moving stars, according to The Last Outpost but I'm not sure if the timeframe lines up.

Tkon and Iconians

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Oh no Data or Dahj are going to show up at the end as a “starchild” so Picard can pick what color ending he wants.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
A whole planet of Datas, “Being John Malkovich”-style.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

They already did that one.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

e: one nit pick though: why bother showing Narek's ship enter the transwarp conduit after La Sirena? We're confirmed Jurati neutralized the bug, and the Romulan fleet is already en route anyway, so who cares? It's annoying because it seems like they're hinting that there's another traitor on the crew (the only way Narek could have found them again).

For this I assume they will explain it by saying Narek knew it was the only borg transwarp conduit in the region so he just decided to chill there once he lost the tracker.

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

Longbaugh01 posted:

This show has insane tonal shifts within single episodes, and oh god the music that comes along with it.

Trying to be too grimdark at times, then too quirky, and above all, it’s just desperately trying too hard at everything in every episode and I can feel it every time and it makes me cringe.

Yes, I know, I shouldn’t be watching then, right? Well sunk cost fallacy I suppose and franchise devotion, but I really keep watching wanting it to be better.

It’s giving me whiplash. From one week to the next I like it, then not so much, and back again. I really liked this week’s episode. It’s like suddenly they remembered how to write compelling characters.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Pops Mgee posted:

Oh no Data or Dahj are going to show up at the end as a “starchild” so Picard can pick what color ending he wants.

Picard is the kind of character who takes every Paragon and Renegade action prompt.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm glad Picard wisened up and stopped being a sarcastic rear end in a top hat. I think he finally understands Soji's situation.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I think Picard's speech at the end was like a microcosm of what the show's message wants to be (not necessarily how it actually is, I guess). The whole "openness, optimism and the spirit of curiosity" bit.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I found out who Commodore Oh really is - https://babylon5.fandom.com/wiki/Laurel_Takashima

SpeakSlow
May 17, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Definitely saw either Data or Lore in the ancient space warning download at the beginning. Right after the bare metal android face. It if was Lore, would be interesting if his hatred of biologics led him to be the avatar of the Trek Reapers. Heck, with Lore there's even a natural connection with the Crystalline Entity from Datalore that could tie it into the mythology pretty nicely.

And considering Rios' backstory, did anyone feel a sense of dread that if they ever reached DS12 they'd be vaporized? The conspiracy turned a storied captain by threatening to take out his entire crew, it would be child's play to get Admiral Swears to make up some story regarding a compromised Picard and crew as an excuse to vaporize them all.

Anyways, great episode that's bringing all the pieces together and throwing us enough loops like the holograms explanation and Rios' tragic backstory dovetailing into the overarching plot. A lot of the early series choices seem to be making sense.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpeakSlow posted:

Definitely saw either Data or Lore in the ancient space warning download at the beginning. Right after the bare metal android face. It if was Lore, would be interesting if his hatred of biologics led him to be the avatar of the Trek Reapers. Heck, with Lore there's even a natural connection with the Crystalline Entity from Datalore that could tie it into the mythology pretty nicely.

And considering Rios' backstory, did anyone feel a sense of dread that if they ever reached DS12 they'd be vaporized? The conspiracy turned a storied captain by threatening to take out his entire crew, it would be child's play to get Admiral Swears to make up some story regarding a compromised Picard and crew as an excuse to vaporize them all.

Anyways, great episode that's bringing all the pieces together and throwing us enough loops like the holograms explanation and Rios' tragic backstory dovetailing into the overarching plot. A lot of the early series choices seem to be making sense.

I think Clancy is actually clean, because they're bending over backwards to pin all this poo poo on Oh and make her the (seemingly) big bad of if not the show then at least the first season.

Also I would be amused as poo poo if Lore just went around from one cosmic horror to the next trying to recruit them to exterminate humanity for him and just keeps going until he finds one that says "Sure, why not?" like he's a loving AMWAY rep and he's showing them The Plan. If they are going full Mass Effect then I hope Picard at least gets to have a conversation with whatever version of Sovereign they're cooking up that's at least as good as Shepard's in ME1.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

They did talk about how the threshold causes something bad to come, but it might be a misinterpretation of what Oh showed Jurati. The ships in the preview for next week look so drat weird that I'm sticking by the "the real threat is what the synths themselves evolve into" theory.

Also, showing Data during the apocalypse montage was a red herring, IMO.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Just started the episode and got a question about the exposition witches: Would a Vulcan have handled the new information better? These Romulans are hella emotional, I wonder if a Vulcan group would manage to keep chill.

I love the cursing army boss lady. First, because the lack of cursing in Star Trek is by far it's least believable element. They are literally space sailors in the goddamn military. In a utopia, people would obviously realize "cuss" words aren't the bad words, slurs are, so folks would be cussing all the time, even kids, and nobody would blink an eye. Second, it's funny. Third, it's always good to see someone on a pedestal get razzed.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Mar 13, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The synths have a plan.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I do audio production and whenever this show mentions synths, my brain automatically conjures an image of a Yamaha DX7 leveling Mars.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

HD DAD posted:

I do audio production and whenever this show mentions synths, my brain automatically conjures an image of a Yamaha DX7 leveling Mars.

Captain Alan Parsons

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Gonz posted:

Captain Alan Parsons

Now YOU made me think Captain Alan Partridge.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I'm glad they layed in that the information may have become garbled over the eons and the warning isn't what the Romulans claim it is. Very likely the Romulans being who they are garbled it with their paranoid

Also really denied a messy death for the spy sister. God its going to be super satisfying to see them both eat it.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Snow Cone Capone posted:

They did talk about how the threshold causes something bad to come, but it might be a misinterpretation of what Oh showed Jurati. The ships in the preview for next week look so drat weird that I'm sticking by the "the real threat is what the synths themselves evolve into" theory.

I really hope it isn't a misinterpretation, because the much more Trek themed ending is that the synths are able to live and develop as a new accepted life form.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

HD DAD posted:

I am Locutus of KORG

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Senor Tron posted:

I really hope it isn't a misinterpretation, because the much more Trek themed ending is that the synths are able to live and develop as a new accepted life form.

Well, if it was interpreted right, how would that work? The whole point is that if it's properly interpreted, the Big Bad is something that destroys everything/everyone. If it was misinterpreted, then the Big Bad being whatever the synths evolve into can be averted by, like you said, being accepted as a new life form.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
This was a great episode. I loving love Borg, if Picard series ends with a Borg collective becoming accepted as a people I would be so happy. Annika Best Borg Queen #1

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hot drat that was a good episode. They're actually starting to bring this mess together and I'm almost starting to hope they'll manage to end the season well.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

This was probably the best episode of the series even if I had a problem with the whole Seven taking over the Borg cube but the Romulan sister just spacing all of the drones and loving off.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

They really did some deep cut TNG references this ep, first in Picard talking about his days about the Reliant (a detail that wasn't even canon until the Measure of a Man extended cut from a few years back) and then, learning that this cool gal eventually made Captain.

Production
Jun 11, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I think it's got to be that they think the synths themselves are the problem, and not something they attract. The "Destroyer" thing. Yeah definitely it's going to be more interesting if the synth homeworld has produced ships that seem hundreds of years beyond others, and are somehow MORE reminiscent of organic life, rather than if there's an external force that HATES synthetics for ?? reason. Wonder if the Beautiful Flower model will have a familiar face (but if it's one Rios could have easily looked up I'll be annoyed).

I still think, despite the continuity mess, that it might have been more understandable if the Admonition was something from distant shared Romulan/Vulcan past, though it definitely should not be related to the Borg themselves since they have too much history and astronomical distance working against it. I was starting to like the only "coherent" idea I had for how that could all fit together, of the Vulcans essentially being a race of xBs that the Romulans couldn't coexist with, blown out of proportion into an apocalyptic situation, but it definitely wasn't happening given that they didn't hint at Oh being part-Vulcan being even a minor issue for them.

Biscuitbeard
Feb 16, 2020

Longbaugh01 posted:

Pretty much sums up my thoughts too. The music really doesn't help. Also the sound design - apparently when holograms think, it makes a noise! Because we're stupid to be trusted with remembering they're holograms and must be reminded at every opportunity.

I like some of the characters and the overall plot has potential but the writing is still poo poo. This one was fun at times but the tonal shifts were jarring.

Watching the actors awkwardly wave their hands around in thin air is fun though.

Giggs
Jan 4, 2013

mama huhu
I really liked Raffi and the Fabulous Rios Five. It was fun and expressive and silly and funny and had no place in this episode but hell, I liked it.

Less than stellar poo poo:
- Why are the Zhat Vash exclusive to women? Feels a lot like someone decided it wasn't special enough and like an inexperienced DM, aka a bad writer, chose a dumb thing. I couldn't help but laugh at the sudden stupid suicide-fest.
- Why would anyone put a phaser in their mouth? Do these writers know why people put guns in their mouth?
- Rios' space-dad was among the best that starfleet had to offer and "just followed orders" and double murdered on a first contact mission? What? What????? What are you saying?
- Everything with Seven and Elnor was dumb shlock padding. Why'd they make the romulans flashbang the elf and then run in for punchies? Why them borgs have holograms at all? If Seven took the cube, why does a guy with a ThinkPad get to open the cube? Why is the cube covered in thousands of roombas? Were those there before? Who gives a poo poo if borg drones get shot into space temporarily? Why'd Seven get BORG-EYES? Why'd Seven-Drones effortlessly separate a man from his spine but decide to grope the leather lady instead of doing anything? So many transparent, lazy, tiresome choices to inject superficial tension that doesn't exist and can't pay-off. "Prestige TV"
- I thought Picard's ending "speech" was platitudinous. "They won't win because they only have fear!" etc. Bad, Chabon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Mortanis posted:

I feel like I might have missed something, but that means everything with the Borg and Romulans is a red herring, right? That one Romulan ship was the only one to be assimilated, and while at first it looked like there was some sort of biological trigger messing up assimilated Romulans, now it looks like they just got whammied by the fact that they assimilated someone that had been subjected to the psychic plot exposition device and it donked up the whole cube. Maybe they'll come back to it but at this point, it feels like there's nothing special about the Romulan and Borg, right?

It looked to me that the scene with Aunty and Incest Twin Girl Narissa was implying that the Zhat Vash set up some Tal Shiar ships to be assimilated, each with an Admonished operative on board to try and gently caress with the Collective somehow. "You'd have made a better Borg than me", right ? And her reference to "your ship" implies others. A living logic bomb primed to take down a whole cube at once.

And yes, Narissa beamed out at the last second. The transport effect was pretty obvious.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

wait is romulon gently caress cop literally called narc?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the plotting of the seven bit was awful

"if i wake up the drones, they might not want to go back to sleep and i might not want to put them back to sleep"

"space all the drones"

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I was honestly a little confused as to what to make of all that. So all the full drones were spaced? Or there are still some? Are all the xBs in a collective now? Are the ones in space still alive? Was spacing all the full drones just a convenient way of not dealing with them being on the ship for the rest of the story? poo poo went by way too fast.

On the plus side, the sequence of the collective speaking was cool and the first time the Borg have felt a genuinely creepy in a while. I am intrigued to see where they take this plot element. I will be disappointed if it ends up being a return to Borgness as usual, I am rather enjoying seeing a new take on them.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

So if you make sufficiently advanced AIs then someone (who we're definitely supposed to think is Q - or at least entertain that possibility) comes and wipes you out... but gives you enough advance notice that you can set up an extremely elaborate warning, before destroying every other trace of your civilisation? :crossarms:

I'm glad the threat isn't just "advanced AIs will definitely murder you", even though this alternative isn't a huge improvement. The thing where knowing the terrible secret of space drives you to suicidal insanity is really, really dumb though.

But that (and the stuff on the cube) aside, this episode was actually pretty good? The holograms are great and deserve to be in a much better show, and Raffi's interactions with them were really good. For the first time I actually like her. Although her berating Picard about bringing traitors onboard was pretty dumb considering she's... what, a passenger? Once again we run into the problem of why are these people working together at all? They all seem to kind of be on board with Picard's mission now but not really maybe? But that feels like an issue left over from previous episodes rather than a problem within this one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Q is going to show up at the end and tell Picard the trial never ended.