Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Clitoris
Jan 29, 2020

Finding it makes all of your dreams come true
I picked up some X calls way the gently caress out yesterday. Strangely up a little. Hopefully I remember I have these

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I'm feeling pretty good about having taken a 401k loan in jan because I thought I was gonna have to buy a car.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Futures down another 3%. Gonna hit limit down 3 days in a row?

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Pretty interesting article - https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020/03/china-s-aggressive-measures-have-slowed-coronavirus-they-may-not-work-other-countries

Two widely used mobile phone apps, AliPay and WeChat—which in recent years have replaced cash in China—helped enforce the restrictions, because they allow the government to keep track of people’s movements and even stop people with confirmed infections from traveling. “Every person has sort of a traffic light system,” says mission member Gabriel Leung, dean of the Li Ka Shing Faculty of Medicine at the University of Hong Kong. Color codes on mobile phones—in which green, yellow, or red designate a person’s health status—let guards at train stations and other checkpoints know who to let through.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

1st_Panzer_Div. posted:

There was basically 0 warming to oil war, and its not like financial experts know anything about pandemics.

The market being due for a correction? Some signs, but a quick fall and oil war? What was that sign?

I mean I agree, the signs that we were due for a correction were there, but there was very little indication that everything would collapse so quickly. Hell, even property in Australia is starting to look shaky so we are approaching the point where boomers are now nervous

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Honestly guys, what kind of rationale is "there was very little indication it would be this bad" like what were you expecting? When China started literally shutting down and the market kept rallying that was your marker. Yes, I know I misplayed it so I can barely comment, but what exactly would you expect as a sign of a crash *before* a crash if not the second largest economy in the world rapidly shutting itself down and getting like 2 weeks in lala land to think about it before it finally crashed? I might argue it was the most clearly telegraphed and playable crash maybe in history. The dotcom and housing bubbles took *forever*, dec 2018 kind of came out of nowhere.... this one took a few weeks with *very* cheap puts available basically the whole time in the lead up. It's absolutely maddening, it was so obvious i thought i was losing my goddamn mind and surrendered to the herd.... oh boy im getting emotional again

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Mar 13, 2020

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Jack Daniels posted:

:tipshat:

gambling account re-opened cause this looks too good to not take a decent dip in here

DIA, USO, X... I would say I'm avoiding the pure garbage/coin-toss trash this round, but X feels dangerous *stretches collar*

Goddamned it Jack you genius, how have the market makers missed it!?

All.

In.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

greasyhands posted:

Honestly guys, what kind of rationale is "there was very little indication it would be this bad" like what were you expecting? When China started literally shutting down and the market kept rallying that was your marker. Yes, I know I misplayed it so I can barely comment, but what exactly would you expect as a sign of a crash *before* a crash if not the second largest economy in the world rapidly shutting itself down and getting like 2 weeks in lala land to think about it before it finally crashed? I might argue it was the most clearly telegraphed and playable crash maybe in history. The dotcom and housing bubbles took *forever*, dec 2018 kind of came out of nowhere.... this one took a few weeks with *very* cheap puts available basically the whole time in the lead up. It's absolutely maddening, it was so obvious i thought i was losing my goddamn mind and surrendered to the herd.... oh boy im getting emotional again

It could have taken several more months to get to this point, during which time my puts would've sat through yet more idiot rallies. Or some pharmaceutical company could have announced a therapy to mitigate the effects. Who knows. But I did go mega-cash before the drop, for which I'm thankful.

MO, BUD, and others (CCL, :lol:) are at multi-year lows. I don't know how much lower they could go, but surely people will still smoke and drink beer twenty years from now? I don't think I can stay out of some of these for much longer.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Jack Daniels posted:

gambling account re-opened cause this looks too good to not take a decent dip in here

DIA, USO, X... I would say I'm avoiding the pure garbage/coin-toss trash this round, but X feels dangerous *stretches collar*

it's not a fuckin game
gently caress what you heard
its what you hearin

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Jack Daniels posted:

You son of a bitch, I'm in.

fougera
Apr 5, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

It could have taken several more months to get to this point, during which time my puts would've sat through yet more idiot rallies. Or some pharmaceutical company could have announced a therapy to mitigate the effects. Who knows. But I did go mega-cash before the drop, for which I'm thankful.

MO, BUD, and others (CCL, :lol:) are at multi-year lows. I don't know how much lower they could go, but surely people will still smoke and drink beer twenty years from now? I don't think I can stay out of some of these for much longer.

I took a big lesson in buying in slowly. I’ve almost maxed out myIRA limit at this point

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe

Jack Daniels posted:

Are you really buying DIA puts? They're loving expensive as poo poo.

USO is so low already, how much lower could it really go?

Disney parks all closed til end of month. Buying in for puts at market open.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

greasyhands posted:

This, totally this. I’d also given in to the herd mentality, I’d been burned on puts too many times to try and play it even though it was obvious what was happening. At least I moved about 70% to cash before things really fell apart

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Is this going to be called the Covid-19 recession?

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002

Bored As gently caress posted:

Officially known as The Best Recession, The Greatest Recession I've Been Told By Some, Very Smart People. Very Smart. Most Recessions Aren't Even Noticed.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

I hope someday I learn enough to understand what happened here but I did understand the first comment and laughed:

Sir this is a bear market

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
At some point this is going to be the buying opportunity of a generation.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Kal Torak posted:

At some point this is going to be the buying opportunity of a generation.
How so? Real estate left vacant by death?

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Thinking about buying SPY puts tomorrow, and, get this, holding them over the weekend. The Most Dangerous Game.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

The Roni Recession if I have anything to say about it.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

The Recession (of my bank account)

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered

Grouchio posted:

How so? Real estate left vacant by death?

How many people do you speculate will die to corona in the next, say, 3 years?

TOT is cheaper now than it has been in over 20 years, including the financial crisis.

greasyhands fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Mar 13, 2020

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Hopefully not alot since every country is slowly shutting down.

I'm not sure Roni goes away in the summer either. It's more likely we have some approved treatment stopping death.

Once this poo poo is no longer lethal, you'll look back and thank yourself you bought this dip

Hit Man fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Mar 13, 2020

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Futures turning green.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

greasyhands posted:

How many people do you speculate will die to corona in the next, say, 3 years?
Depends on the levels of containment and eventual vaccination. It also depends if we're counting worldwide or in the developed world. Conservative estimates for the states is ~500k, based on Osterholm's analysis. Another 500-700k from Europe depending on each country's effectiveness. There's about 60 million elderly in India; they just had their first recorded death.

Hit Man
Mar 6, 2008

I hope after I die people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Kal Torak posted:

Futures turning green.

What's going on with ASX?

China's case numbers are good

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Just rewatched The Big Short again.

This really feels like another 2008. Add in coronavirus and I'm having some really bad thoughts about how bad this could all get.

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

greasyhands posted:

lmao calm down friend, it was a case of "when, not if", but the fact is that even sectors unrelated to the industrial slowdown are getting slaughtered.

Foma
Oct 1, 2004
Hello, My name is Lip Synch. Right now, I'm making a post that is anti-bush or something Micheal Moore would be proud of because I and the rest of my team lefty friends (koba1t included) need something to circle jerk to.

Just rewatched The Big Short again.

This really feels like another 2008. Add in coronavirus and I'm having some really bad thoughts about how bad this could all get.

Really? I think the market is overreacting.

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Kal Torak posted:

Futures turning green.

C'mon little rally, you can do it. Fight, grow! Please give me a window to unload all my long positions.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Bitcoin down 50% in the last 24 hours

Stable store of value!

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I just don't know how anyone could possibly pretend that the current pandemic is similar to the credit default house of cards of 2008. This is a mostly fear driven panic sale IMHO.

June calls!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

FML I was thinking of going long ES around midnight but decided to work on a presentation for a job interview tomorrow. 80 min later I get a notification and see we’re up 140 points.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

FCKGW posted:

Bitcoin down 50% in the last 24 hours

Stable store of value!

https://twitter.com/rohmeo_de/status/1238040327375720448

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Futures green. Time to buy some puts.

greasyhands
Oct 28, 2006

Best quality posts,
freshly delivered
Heres your daily carona pump meme stock

https://apple.news/AKvqqClDARUyJ_8fFyvaO4w

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

I think today will be an entertaining day to monitor r/wsb.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Lote posted:

Have you ever heard of a leveraged ETF and an inverse leveraged ETF? You can get leveraged volatility ETFs too.

New thread title?

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

Lote posted:

I know of ways that you can get in on the action without options, but you will lose money. Have you ever heard of a leveraged ETF and an inverse leveraged ETF? You can get leveraged volatility ETFs too.

You can also buy options on them, but only do that if you want to get rich

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
Limit d... up? Looks like that guy that lost 700k with 400k in his account is getting his Christmas miracle.