Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Walrus posted:

I'm gonna try some of this fancy maple syrup I have (in a maple leaf glass bottle) mixed into some cornbread

What sort of weirdos are you people that you don't just poor maple syrup/honey straight into your mouths, like the filthy animals you are?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

twoday posted:

When I'm hoarding beans

How my friends see me: Crying of Lot 49 protagonist

How I see myself: Gravity's Rainbow banana guy

banaanguy semper fi

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i think we got enough food for at least 3 weeks. i doubt more than that will be necessary.

I've got food for 3 weeks and guns for the rest

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The phrase "x is not worth a hill of beans" is gonna take on an opposite meaning in the brave new world.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

gonna fill my water pipes with maple syrup and eat beans on the toilet with my bidet a-blast

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcxrI3BF8l4&hd=1

FOOD BUCKETS

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Epic High Five posted:

I've got food for 3 weeks and guns for the rest

no, no its other people who are supposed to eat the lead youve misunderstood

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

Lokar posted:

I wonder how Florida is preparing...

ah, well

cruises still happening? well that's good.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
fuckin surreal seeing dried beans sold out

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe

Lokar posted:

I wonder how Florida is preparing...

ah, well

Wtf is up with all these people and cruises

snoo
Jul 5, 2007

lancemantis posted:

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Schnorkles posted:

just want to note that while Idaho has no confirmed cases, there are several people in Boise with symptom profiles that strongly match the disease.

I would imagine confirmation of the first case within 24-48 hours

that’s where my ex lives! (I wish her the best). but she works as a restaurant manager so poo poo will now get much worse for her 😢. at least my current partner lives only 10 mins. from my house.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

lancemantis posted:

probably just a way to escape all possible contact with your loved ones

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

I dont think Number likes cruises

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

they loving on them boats

Doc Walrus
Jan 2, 2014

Cryin' Chris is a WASTE.
Nap Ghost

Norton the First posted:

What sort of weirdos are you people that you don't just poor maple syrup/honey straight into your mouths, like the filthy animals you are?

No, you put the maple syrup in cornbread or something then you have peggy hill stomp on it barefoot

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

what if instead of a bidet, you just lubed up your butt so the poop slides right out? You could cut down your toilet paper use by an order of magnitude...

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

this thread is growing faster than the corona

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Welp, everybody here already knew it, but the US is hosed. https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/notes-from-ucsf-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/

quote:

40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.
[We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.]
The fatality rate is in the range of 10X flu.
This assumes no drug is found effective and made available.
Appears one can be infectious before being symptomatic. We don’t know how infectious before symptomatic, but know that highest level of virus prevalence coincides with symptoms. We currently think folks are infectious 2 days before through 14 days after onset of symptoms (T-2 to T+14 onset).
How long does the virus last?
On surfaces, best guess is 4-20 hours depending on surface type (maybe a few days) but still no consensus on this
The virus is very susceptible to common anti-bacterial cleaning agents: bleach, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol-based.
There is no accepted treatment for COVID-19. The hospital will give supportive care (eg IV fluids, oxygen) to help you stay alive while your body fights the disease. ie to prevent sepsis.
If someone gets sick who is high risk (eg is both old and has lung/cardio-vascular problems), you can try to get them enrolled for “compassionate use" of Remdesivir, a drug that is in clinical trial at San Francisco General and UCSF, and in China. Need to find a doc there in order to ask to enroll. Remdesivir is an anti-viral from Gilead that showed effectiveness against MERS in primates and is being tried against COVID-19. If the trials succeed it might be available for next winter as production scales up far faster for drugs than for vaccines.
Public Health systems are prepared to deal with short-term outbreaks that last for weeks, like an outbreak of meningitis. They do not have the capacity to sustain for outbreaks that last for months. Other solutions will have to be found.
Don’t know whether COVID-19 is seasonal but if is and subsides over the summer, it is likely to roar back in fall as the 1918 f

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

I love that they did the whole "show you a clip at the beginning from sometime near the end of the show to build interest" but then the video ended up only being 2 minutes long anyway, so like 5% of it was probably that clip

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

noony noony noony nooooooo
I can't tell if anyone posted this before because I officially can't follow this thread anymore but...libraries in St. Louis are now on semi-lockdown. All activities cancelled, meeting rooms shut, etc. We've had some pushback from community groups who rented out rooms (I fully expect HQ to refund their fees). Other than that, today was practically a ghost day.

Kind of curious about how long we stay open to the public.

Anecdotally, a bunch of patrons told me today that the panic buying was in full swing and shortages are hitting us hard.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

Complete hominid death to the funky funky beats of Ronald Jenkees is actually not that bad.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

A Russian troll farm posted:

what if instead of a bidet, you just lubed up your butt so the poop slides right out? You could cut down your toilet paper use by an order of magnitude...

this is what i did, surgically. chromed frictionless rear end in a top hat developed by DARPA, actuated by advanced polymer turbines that control internal/external pressure differentials. i haven't had to use toilet paper or a bidet for years. all other assholes are primitive in comparison.

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

Radirot posted:

cruises still happening? well that's good.

My coworker is going on vacation and he talked to his boss who said that while he won't get fired if he gets stuck in quarantine HR isn't going to be happy with him because he should have seen it coming

I'm gonna get it a week after he comes back lol

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

atomicgeek posted:

I can't tell if anyone posted this before because I officially can't follow this thread anymore but...libraries in St. Louis are now on semi-lockdown. All activities cancelled, meeting rooms shut, etc. We've had some pushback from community groups who rented out rooms (I fully expect HQ to refund their fees). Other than that, today was practically a ghost day.

Kind of curious about how long we stay open to the public.

what library charges fees for room reservations?

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

I hosed up and thought that wednesday night "plenty of poo poo on the shelves" was going to be the same thursday night. So far only thing really devastated is TP, still plenty of rice n beanz. I'm gonna head out tomorrow morning and take advantage of the fact that not a lot of people around here are familiar with struggle cooking.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

what exactly is being left on the shelves?

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

We do!

We have small rooms you can just book into for w/e but if you need a big room for an organization there is a very small charge.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

TeenageArchipelago posted:

My coworker is going on vacation and he talked to his boss who said that while he won't get fired if he gets stuck in quarantine HR isn't going to be happy with him because he should have seen it coming

I'm gonna get it a week after he comes back lol

what if he's lucky and it turns out to be the next Noahs ark as we all are doomed? lol

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret
https://twitter.com/RichardMadan/status/1238287027281580033?s=19

Neat?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

atomicgeek posted:

We do!

We have small rooms you can just book into for w/e but if you need a big room for an organization there is a very small charge.

lol ours has a big auditorium you can reserve and they do audio/video stuff and it's all free

just got rid of late fees too, of course ours is funded by a flat tax on everybody in the county and it's so popular that to get rid of that would be suicide

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

this is what i did, surgically. chromed frictionless rear end in a top hat developed by DARPA, actuated by advanced polymer turbines that control internal/external pressure differentials. i haven't had to use toilet paper or a bidet for years. all other assholes are primitive in comparison.

woah

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Bilirubin posted:

My trip to Walmart tonight says: Gallon containers of mayonnaise.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Bilirubin posted:

https://twitter.com/mamaelle_/status/1238088618746527745?s=21

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

people here in nz are still talking about their upcoming holiday overseas lol

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

lancemantis posted:

Haven't you ever been to the beach and stared out at the horizon and wished you could get as far away from land as possible

And all the Jim-Jims in this town
And all the politicians making crazy sounds
And all the dead bodies piled up in mounds

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

My town's central library has a very nice meeting hall attached where my high school held its prom.

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

lol this is Des Moines without a single "confirmed" case (but schools closed until April)

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/DeboraKTVU/status/1238329953776631808?s=20

:ca:

wonder what the buying is like in other states

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicgeek
Jul 5, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

lol ours has a big auditorium you can reserve and they do audio/video stuff and it's all free

just got rid of late fees too, of course ours is funded by a flat tax on everybody in the county and it's so popular that to get rid of that would be suicide

We're working that way. Just got rid of fines. I think the only reason meeting rooms have charges at this point is to make it easier for rich businesses to get them make sure only serious people are booking out the rooms but who knows

I am but a tiny desk peon, with a master's