Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Khanstant posted:

I hope Ben outlasts Adam at least. but I want them both to be punished for agreeing to buddy system all day. That was already punishment but they deserve more for participating while not even committing lol. Why bother?

Could have been worried about an idol. Would make sense to as to why Adam was following Rob around watching him look for the idol. Rob already buried his game so why give him a chance to scramble or continue looking for idols/advantages? Also maybe wanted to flush out an advantage from the other side by keeping them a little uneasy.

freeman fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Mar 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBvaQ-T9phI

Tyson stuff they didn't show us

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
If you rewatch the episode, it becomes abundantly clear that Yara as a whole had agreed to vote out Rob before they even went to an immunity challenge. The "buddy system" was not Rob babysitting Adam and Ben, but the other way around. The only thing it really did was make the girls a little more nervous, which might have resulted in them playing their advantages if they were a little less level headed.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

ahh thanks. there's something so wholesome about early survivor

SweetJahasus
Dec 23, 2005

Dragon Slayer
Samurai Warrior
Escape Artist
Viking
Chong-Ra Master

BE THE WIZARD

Binary Logic posted:

Also, saw this on social media and wanted to share.

Rob built shelter Season 39:

Rob built shelter Season 40:

Jeff said in some pre-S40 interview that Rob had tools/etc on S39, since he was basically production and not a player.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I remember him doing astounding work building the shelter in all stars, and I'm pretty sure he had tools then as well; from a reward challenge.

Max
Nov 30, 2002

I was thinking about Rob's comment about how he got screwed in Marquesas when they did a tribe swap, and started laughing because I just rewatched that season and remember him complaining the entire time after the swap that Vecepia was playing nice with the new tribe and ingratiating herself with them while he just made enemies. He really sucks when it comes to making social bonds and only knows how to play from the top.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

I think Ben and Adam probably made the right move. Besides just getting out Rob. Rob might have stayed "loyal" but it would have been on his terms and they would have just been numbers to him. Their bad position is of their own making but they can theoretically start over with Sophie and Sarah so... worth a try, I guess. You might have had a short term future with Rob but no long term one.
They chose going into 2-2 numbers over being 3-1. Even not knowing the women have the advantages, I figure they must be each hoping to join up with S&S and vote out the other since they know their own relationship really sucks. At that point even the winner of that faceoff is down 2-1. If they'd taken the 3-1 route, they could also just vote off Rob next, and still be up 2-1. I think they made the wrong choice.

Khanstant posted:

I hope Ben outlasts Adam at least. but I want them both to be punished for agreeing to buddy system all day. That was already punishment but they deserve more for participating while not even committing lol. Why bother?
To blindside Rob. Always blindside.

SteveVizsla
Mar 19, 2009

Why do I always want to sock it to you so hard?

Spergatory posted:

If you rewatch the episode, it becomes abundantly clear that Yara as a whole had agreed to vote out Rob before they even went to an immunity challenge. The "buddy system" was not Rob babysitting Adam and Ben, but the other way around. The only thing it really did was make the girls a little more nervous, which might have resulted in them playing their advantages if they were a little less level headed.

This was the vibe I got, as well. Adam was following Rob to make sure Rob didn't get an idol and could be voted out.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I didn't think it was ever really in question that Ben and Adam had agreed with the women to vote out Rob. It was just a question of whether they would follow through or bow to Rob's pressure and appeal. And like Adam and Ben are so flighty that who knows?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think it's a fair question because getting out Rob is a double-edged move in their scenario. In the short term, if they lose, one of them is going home. In the long term, Rob was an easy shield they used too early. Rob's power was existing as Rob, he doesn't actually have to do much, his reputation preceded him and grew on its own. People were scared of Rob because they think people are scared of Rob. I think buddy-system only went down because it was with the only 2 dudes in the game it would still work on. A Doormat and a Dipshit Golem. Maybe Nick if he was stuck with Adam, but I actually kind of don't remember much about Nick besides he wasn't Christian instead.

Everyone is threats, but Rob/Parv/Sandra are treated with more reverence and fear. The line between that being an advantage and disadvantage is really thin. Rob especially was never going to make it to the finals raw, and even if he did, at a certain point it would be because he became the goat even while he would be playing godfather. So far there have been plausible non-Rob reasons to have not gotten him out yet, and even if you think he was puppetmastering before - his powers were mostly psychic. Sooner or later the party is going to pass their Will saves and negate him. That DC 15 poo poo only plays out when he is playing with a bunch of low-rolling lowbies with disadvantage, not against all the winners.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I think that like it makes sense for them both to just say "Rob's just using us and I'll never really be able to trust him so I might as well get him out now and try and build some new trust and relationships that might take my farther."

But I also can see the counter argument. Hold onto numbers in this tribe, presumably stay safe for at least one more vote, try and rebuild some trust with Rob and hide behind him, figure out the next step when you get there.

So when I say it wasn't in question, I mean obviously the two options were laid out and Ben and Adam had agreed to both. It was just a question of which way they'd go. And since they weren't actually allied themselves it was a question of whether both would on their own. Ultimately I suspect that was the big difference maker. For Rob's plan to work both Adam and Ben had to hold firm to it. If either flipped the other gets screwed. So in the end I imagine Adam and Ben not really trusting each other meant it was just safer to go with Sarah and Sophie.

That's why like... even though the buddy system was obviously a flawed idea that didn't work I think Rob was basically right. He was screwed if he just let Ben and Adam go off and talk to the women because there's no way they were going to trust each other to stay firm and loyal. So he took his shot at the bully tactic and it backfired.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Great point, with Adam/Ben themselves not really being allied besides loosely out of circumstance, the feasible options narrow. If you believe in infinite multiverse, somebody got to see an episode where Rob hilariously tried to ally with sophie/sara.

And to confirm for basically just myself, I re-watched the tribe swap bundles. No nametags this time, and the only :tinfoil: option is a longshot with unequally distributed bundles on each platter, and even they got to grab whatever one they wanted and were standing just however. Adam actually changed which one he was initially going for -- if he had stuck with his first pick he might've avoided a tribal/resume-build. Another divergent point, are we in the Adam wins timeline?

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Khanstant posted:

I think it's a fair question because getting out Rob is a double-edged move in their scenario. In the short term, if they lose, one of them is going home. In the long term, Rob was an easy shield they used too early. Rob's power was existing as Rob, he doesn't actually have to do much, his reputation preceded him and grew on its own. People were scared of Rob because they think people are scared of Rob. I think buddy-system only went down because it was with the only 2 dudes in the game it would still work on. A Doormat and a Dipshit Golem. Maybe Nick if he was stuck with Adam, but I actually kind of don't remember much about Nick besides he wasn't Christian instead.

Everyone is threats, but Rob/Parv/Sandra are treated with more reverence and fear. The line between that being an advantage and disadvantage is really thin. Rob especially was never going to make it to the finals raw, and even if he did, at a certain point it would be because he became the goat even while he would be playing godfather. So far there have been plausible non-Rob reasons to have not gotten him out yet, and even if you think he was puppetmastering before - his powers were mostly psychic. Sooner or later the party is going to pass their Will saves and negate him. That DC 15 poo poo only plays out when he is playing with a bunch of low-rolling lowbies with disadvantage, not against all the winners.

Only person the buddy system worked on was Rob by keeping the sure vote unable to do anything to improve his position. Adam and Ben get a lot of mostly deserved criticism but I think they played that pretty well given the circumstances.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't know about infinite realities, but yeah, the short list of scenarios for this realistically were basically:

1) Ben and Adam both decide to vote with Rob.
2) Ben goes with Rob but Adam doesn't and Ben gets screwed.
3) Adam goes with Rob but Ben doesn't and Adam gets screwed.
4) Ben and Adam both decide to vote out Rob so neither risks getting screwed.

And that's without factoring in idols or advantages. Rob had a quick moment where one of the guys brought up idols and Rob said "If they have an idol they have an idol." Well... that's fine for Rob because he had his back against the wall but Adam and Ben had an out. So they both took it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
I mean, the 'best' option for them would be to vote with Rob, tell the girls they need to use their idol (if they have one) on Sarah, but then secretly switch their votes to Sophie. The idol gets flushed, then it's a 2-2 tie and Ben/Adam can take their pick of whether to vote out Rob or Sophie.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

ApplesandOranges posted:

I mean, the 'best' option for them would be to vote with Rob, tell the girls they need to use their idol (if they have one) on Sarah, but then secretly switch their votes to Sophie. The idol gets flushed, then it's a 2-2 tie and Ben/Adam can take their pick of whether to vote out Rob or Sophie.

Yeah, but that could have blown up in their faces if Sarah uses her steal-a-vote power instead which I think she would probably do instead of using the idol.

Like if they tell Sarah to use the idol if they have one, then I think she uses the steal-a-vote instead because it's the easier and safer play. Why give them the option to burn her in some way?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It also still would have relied on Adam and Ben being able to trust each other. Especially with a scheme with that many moving parts and secrets. Both have already previously hosed up secret plans.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, Robs way is kind of annoying. I agree with Sophie.

xbilkis posted:

I don't hate Rob but I love Sophie for being the one sane human being willing to go "Playing with Rob loving sucks, let's just vote him out"

That whole thing was Rob basically saying you have to do things my way because it will get me farther and in return maybe you'll be safe for a couple more tribals. And the weird thing I can't understand why both Ben and Adam went along with it and the only reason I can think of is that they thought that maybe Rob would flip out if he knew he was the one going home early because it didn't seem like either of the girls really wanted to work with Rob at all, so either one of them could have just essentially said 'screw you Rob, I don't like how you've played, so I'm going with the girls and we're voting you out. Adam/Ben, feel free to join us if you'd like.'

I mean sure it would have been rude, but unless everyone is going to the jury, it's not really going to poison anything.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I imagine they went along with it because they simply didn't want to have to deal with saying "no" to Rob. Its a thing you see more in Big Brother then we see in Survivor because usually Survivor is just a couple of quickly edited clips and we don't usually get that sort of edit of people just sitting around for hours awkwardly lying to each other and avoiding the elephant in the room. But in Big Brother its just days and days of that and what happens is a lot of players get blindsided not because there's any strategic advantage in blindsiding them, but because the players betraying them are simply desperate to avoid confrontation, guilt, or awkwardness.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, I can get that and it was a weird case where Rob/Adam/Ben all managed to burn everyone else in that group, but that is also why I would have expected someone to just say screw it and start the confrontation because they all clearly had motive and as evidenced, most if it was clearly directed at Rob.

Maybe I just don't think it would be in me personally to stand/deal with that situation and so when I put myself in Ben/Adams shoes, I can't imagine just not wanting to tell Rob to kiss off because I didn't agree with him.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
If you say that to him then you're going to be following him around up until tribal while he desperately looks for the already found idol. With the stress that if he did find an idol you're in scramble mode to save yourself.

I get that it'd feel good to bully the bully but that sounds way more tiring than sitting around talking about twinkies.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

freeman posted:

If you say that to him then you're going to be following him around up until tribal while he desperately looks for the already found idol. With the stress that if he did find an idol you're in scramble mode to save yourself.

I get that it'd feel good to bully the bully but that sounds way more tiring than sitting around talking about twinkies.

See, to me, following him around and annoying him while he was trying to find the idol would just be icing on the cake at that point. That would be total big brother/little brother type stuff to me and would just make me think about growing up and annoying my little brother when he was trying to do poo poo when I was bored.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Well the other side of it is that their issues with Rob weren't REALLY of Rob's doing. WE see Rob as the villain and hell, they may even see Rob as the villain especially when he's pulling his bully plays. But Ben and Adam both had their poo poo blow up because they were scheming against Rob and others. Rob has done poo poo but its mostly been behind the scenes or ineffective stuff unlike what got Adam and Ben in messes.

So like, yeah, it might be briefly satisfying to say "screw you, Rob, we're voting you out and you're being a dick." But Adam and Ben were actually kind of an awkward place to do it given all that history. Sophie and Sarah were much more free to just be "Rob, you're a dick" because they didn't owe him anything and hadn't done anything to him. He was just the dude trying to vote one of them out and being a dick about it.

Plus Ben and Adam just don't seem the types to be all "screw you!" to many people. And its probably not a great idea with Edge of Extinction in play.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
No, I get all that and it's probably why I couldn't really play survivor because it just wouldn't mesh with my own personality. And frankly, it's not so much the play from the tribal before that would irritate me as much as it would be Rob trying to force the buddy system on the entire tribe.

And Adam has every right to see Rob as the villain since Rob took the information that Adam gave him and then turned around and got his 3 person alliance to try and vote him out. I could totally understand Ben not really wanting to say screw you to Rob because Rob didn't really burn Ben, they were just sort of on opposite sides.

And sometimes I use phrases like screw you knowing that it would be more likely that people would be a bit more diplomatic in the entire process.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Adam was just trying to manipulate Rob though. He knows that and the whole tribe seemed to mince no words about it. Adam was trying to puppet master everyone, and Rob just exposed him. He COULD be mad at Rob for that but he seemed to very much own that it was his own doing and he just got caught.

Now Rob lied and said Adam came to him later and tried to set him up to go home. But they never went to Tribal and there was no clear indication that Adam caught wind of it.

But I get your point. Rob obviously hosed up with that buddy system thing and pissed everyone off and I'm sure if I was in that situation some part of me would have wanted to tell him to gently caress off. Like I said, I think Rob was basically right that if he let Rob and Ben wander off and talk game he was done for. But obviously that was a self destructive (and ineffective) way to avoid it.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
I had a shower thought in the shower tonight. What if they did Island of the Idols 2 where the Idols were the idols. Nothing hidden at camp. You just brought an idol back over to your camp and you had to play him/her as an HII before the Idol got voted out of the game. And if the Idol wasn't played until final 5 they'd be eligible for the million.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Stokes posted:

I had a shower thought in the shower tonight. What if they did Island of the Idols 2 where the Idols were the idols. Nothing hidden at camp. You just brought an idol back over to your camp and you had to play him/her as an HII before the Idol got voted out of the game. And if the Idol wasn't played until final 5 they'd be eligible for the million.

Shower Beer Thoughts

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Stokes posted:

“If anyone has a hidden immunity idol and would like to play it, now—“

“Jeff?” *contestant whistles*

*Boston Rob kicks his way out of the tribal spy shack and leaps down*

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

The last bit adds a really fun twist because the Idols would be trying to convince their holders not to play them. "Nah, this isn't a good time. I think you're safe. Keep me for later."

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

STAC Goat posted:

Now Rob lied and said Adam came to him later and tried to set him up to go home. But they never went to Tribal and there was no clear indication that Adam caught wind of it.

I'm pretty sure Rob literally said to Adam's face that he was going to spread lies about him to bury him and that it didn't matter what he actually did.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Spergatory posted:

I'm pretty sure Rob literally said to Adam's face that he was going to spread lies about him to bury him and that it didn't matter what he actually did.

Rob said 'let's bury Adam' to Parvati.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

TMMadman posted:

so either one of them could have just essentially said 'screw you Rob, I don't like how you've played, so I'm going with the girls and we're voting you out. Adam/Ben, feel free to join us if you'd like.'

I mean sure it would have been rude, but unless everyone is going to the jury, it's not really going to poison anything.

No way, I can't think of a single instance of telling the loser they're going home working out. I don't think Rob would necessarily immediately freak out and start dumping rice or watering the fire, but at the very least it's going to be a really awkward day with some dude stewing about how he'll get revenge all day. There's also EoE, so even when you get someone out, they might come back to bite you if you incurred their ire in the process.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Spergatory posted:

Basically. I think the conversation went:

Adam: I'm screwed. If I even talk game with you I'm done.
Rob: Yeah, and i could just lie and say you talked game with me and you'd be done.

Then Rob and Parv decided to do just that and he went and lied about Adam. But like it never developed into anything or became a thing that we saw and Adam basically seemed to be owning that he was in that position because of his own actions, so I just don't think Adam's got any big "Rob screwed me" to stand on.

Not that he needs it. Rob is a player and a threat and not loyal to Adam in any way. That's more than enough reason to vote him out, just probably not enough for Adam to be like nasty about it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Exactly. The fact that Adam tried to inform Rob of the plan against Parvati to stay in his good graces and show him that he intended to work with him in the future, and Rob responded by basically spitting in his face, blowing up his game with his other allies, and trying to get him voted out; that's more than enough to justify Adam saying "gently caress Rob forever" and take the first opportunity to send his rear end packing. Even if Adam was on that tribe with Rob and someone other than Ben, I'd support him turning and siding with the girls. Adam's best hope in this game is to find shelter with Dakal by selling himself as the hated castoff of Sele, which he absolutely is. Even then, I'm fairly sure his ceiling at this point is zero vote finalist. He beefed it real bad and Rob just ensured that none of his good behavior in the aftermath did anything to fix it.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Adam's original tribe is also in the minority, so he's kinda boned either way, since Dakal look to be very united. I don't think there'll be a Pagonging, but it'll be tough for any of the Sele crew to survive past the early merge.

A Kim flip is the best hope for Sele, but even then with the double tribal it's almost assured that Dakal will maintain their majority going into merge.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

STAC Goat posted:

But I get your point. Rob obviously hosed up with that buddy system thing and pissed everyone off and I'm sure if I was in that situation some part of me would have wanted to tell him to gently caress off. Like I said, I think Rob was basically right that if he let Rob and Ben wander off and talk game he was done for. But obviously that was a self destructive (and ineffective) way to avoid it.
I actually thought the buddy system here made sense for all three of them and was mutually beneficial (IF they were actually interested in voting with Rob), because they all have reason not to trust each other and this was a way to make them all feel more comfortable voting as a block. It was away around the literal prisoners’ dilemma you outlined in your previous post: none of the prisoners gets interviewed alone.

In short, Rob did nothing wrong and one of Adam/Ben is definitely going home next episode. And: Rob should have done the puzzle once again.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Ben always has a big-rear end bandaid on his right shoulder, even in previous seasons. It looks to be to cover up a non-airable tattoo; anybody know what?

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TheCenturion posted:

Ben always has a big-rear end bandaid on his right shoulder, even in previous seasons. It looks to be to cover up a non-airable tattoo; anybody know what?

John Deere logo apparently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

TheCenturion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QmY7SLVse0&t=359s

a tattoo dedicated to his grandfather that's basically shows a tractor logo

Makes me wonder how many other castaways have similar tattoos. No clue about what is and isn't airable but I remember Wardog had some sports teams logos on him.