Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coffee Jones
Jul 4, 2004

16 bit? Back when we was kids we only got a single bit on Christmas, as a treat
And we had to share it!
Hello from Seattle

Driving myself crazy looking at medical sites about treatments.
Looking at ordering Chloroquine tablets but they all need an Rx.

Coffee Jones fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Grand Egg
Jan 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Interesting read:

Notes from UCSF Expert panel - March 10

University of California, San Francisco BioHub Panel on COVID-19

https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/notes-from-ucsf-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/

quote:

40-70% of the US population will be infected over the next 12-18 months. After that level you can start to get herd immunity. Unlike flu this is entirely novel to humans, so there is no latent immunity in the global population.

[We used their numbers to work out a guesstimate of deaths— indicating about 1.5 million Americans may die. The panelists did not disagree with our estimate. This compares to seasonal flu’s average of 50K Americans per year. Assume 50% of US population, that’s 160M people infected. With 1% mortality rate that's 1.6M Americans die over the next 12-18 months.]

A Grand Egg fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Mar 13, 2020

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Jumpsuit posted:

Lol Peter Dutton has it

He was in a cabinet meeting all day Tuesday but Morrison is not only refusing to self isolate, he's refusing to get tested at all. But he has decided to not attend that NRL match this weekend

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

LibCrusher posted:

Oh my god... I might have had corona in Manila last month and spread it the hotel, the mall, the airport, and back to the US.

Patient zero

Lazyhound posted:

It’s going to be hellworld until a vaccine gets manufactured in bulk.

The reports of people getting re-infected after clearing it are ominous, I wonder what the rate is on that.

Not saying it isn't true, but I really haven't seen much about re-infected people.
But yeah, if this thing doesn't go away late spring like the flu and people can get re-infected, a vaccine is the only hope.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

A Grand Egg posted:

Interesting read:

Notes from UCSF Expert panel - March 10

University of California, San Francisco BioHub Panel on COVID-19

https://www.linkedin.com/content-guest/article/notes-from-ucsf-expert-panel-march-10-dr-jordan-shlain-m-d-/

I mentioned in the C-SPAM thread that this says it's only 2 days of symptomless contagiousness, rather than the like 5 people have been saying. Hopefully it is correct.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

LibCrusher posted:

Oh my god... I might have had corona in Manila last month and spread it the hotel, the mall, the airport, and back to the US.

I mean that same logic follows for literally every person on the planet who traveled anywhere so I don't see why it's remarkable to you

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Lacrosse posted:

I'm 20 miles from the Hot Zone in WA and went to a place for lunch early in the week. I had someone coughing on the back of my head my entire meal. If you insist on eating out get it to-go.

Nigthtmare mode: Chinese lunch buffet

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

mrfart posted:

Patient zero

Not saying it isn't true, but I really haven't seen much about re-infected people.
But yeah, if this thing doesn't go away late spring like the flu and people can get re-infected, a vaccine is the only hope.

Yeah, I haven't seen anything solid. There was the Japanese tour guide who had it again IIRC, but wasnt that chalked up to the initial infection being present? I know it's probably too early to tell, but I'd like to know what's happening there.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Imagine the recriminations a year from now when hundreds of millions of people have lost parents and grandparents to this. Hope your comfortable defending your "lol boomer death" memes then.

Lol they've doomed our futures with climate change

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Rutibex posted:

what about internet :ohdear:

im stocking up on internet right now. downloading all my favourite websites.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

i have an entire folder labeled 'memes' to enjoy post-internet collapse

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Imagine the recriminations a year from now when hundreds of millions of people have lost parents and grandparents to this. Hope your comfortable defending your "lol boomer death" memes then.
IMO the incredibly irresponsible government response that led to millions of entirely needless deaths might end up being more of an issue than a funny Twitter hashtag.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

well, the boomers glorious leader is to blame, stifling testing for political gain.

https://washingtonpress.com/2020/03...is-re-election/

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238288908431036423
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238410044263333894
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1238410051758575617

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
Last day with my students for two weeks but I’m gunna assume longer than that. What should we do today goons?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

I mean the difference is we didn't create the virus destroying the boomers, but they created (or at least fuelled and supported) the virus destroying us.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buddy of mine was just at an office supply store to pick up a desk and chair he ordered last month. It was pretty much completely sold out of everything.
Not surprising since almost all office workers in Norway now have to work from home.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Lodin posted:

Buddy of mine was just at an office supply store to pick up a desk and chair he ordered last month. It was pretty much completely sold out of everything.
Not surprising since almost all office workers in Norway now have to work from home.

That's gotta be coincidence. I simply won't believe people are stupid enough to panic buy actual furniture. (Please let me stay in this blissful state of denial)

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
Sorry y'all, I saw toilet paper at the store and figured what the heck, might as well grab it while I can. I'm part of the problem.

Ralph Crammed In
May 11, 2007

Let's get clean and smart

I just got an email that the Dutch conference of Bishops have decided to cancel Sunday and Saturday services at least until April, which is a big deal because Catholics are morally obliged to go to Mass weekly unless they have a drat good excuse. For the last two weeks we were forbidden from touching during the sign of peace and you could only get the host in your hands but it looks like they are taking this much more seriously than they did their molesting priests.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

internet celebrity posted:

Sorry y'all, I saw toilet paper at the store and figured what the heck, might as well grab it while I can. I'm part of the problem.

Did you buy one bulk pack like a normal human being or did you buy out the whole lot?

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

Ralph Crammed In posted:

I just got an email that the Dutch conference of Bishops have decided to cancel Sunday and Saturday services at least until April, which is a big deal because Catholics are morally obliged to go to Mass weekly unless they have a drat good excuse. For the last two weeks we were forbidden from touching during the sign of peace and you could only get the host in your hands but it looks like they are taking this much more seriously than they did their molesting priests.

Idgi, why doesn't God sort it out?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

hemale in pain posted:

im stocking up on internet right now. downloading all my favourite websites.

uguu
Mar 9, 2014

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

That's gotta be coincidence. I simply won't believe people are stupid enough to panic buy actual furniture. (Please let me stay in this blissful state of denial)

Presumably a lot of people who weren't set up to work from home now have to work from home.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

uguu posted:

Presumably a lot of people who weren't set up to work from home now have to work from home.

Do Norweigens normally sit on the ground and eat off the floor or something?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Everyone is responsible. Except Trump. Trump is only a B-level celebrity. Ignore him. Look at the other people that are not the President of The United States of America.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
So if this is just permanent now and comes back every year are we just uh, quarantined forever? Letting everyone who gets it bad just fall over and die on the ground seems preferable to "society slowly disintegrates locked up at home over several years"

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Did you buy one bulk pack like a normal human being or did you buy out the whole lot?

I'm not familiar with the laws of Mega Roll™ math but apparently I bought 48 rolls.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

shovelbum posted:

So if this is just permanent now and comes back every year are we just uh, quarantined forever? Letting everyone who gets it bad just fall over and die on the ground seems preferable to "society slowly disintegrates locked up at home over several years"

I doubt it, when the fat cats start dying medical research will be put into hyperdrive

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Coffee Jones posted:

Hello from Seattle

Driving myself crazy looking at medical sites about treatments.
Looking at ordering Chloroquine tablets but they all need an Rx.

You could always go dunk in the Duwamish anywhere near Harbor Island and let all the chemicals Thunderdrome it with the Roni?

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic
Has anybody seen any analysis as to how long COVID-19 lasts? Is it literally a few days to a few weeks? Or do we not know?

Wizard Master
Mar 25, 2008

Does God still love us?

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

Jumpsuit posted:

Lol Peter Dutton has it
Oh poo poo. He was nice and close to Ivanka Trump the other day
https://twitter.com/AusintheUS/status/1235997767476097026

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

shovelbum posted:

What on Earth makes you think this is a realistic scenario

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do Norweigens normally sit on the ground and eat off the floor or something?

Idk about Norwegians but the chairs I have at home are ok for eating but loving suck for actual work.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

People are hoarding food and poo poo and based on the admittedly appalling facts about the disease I'm not sure why when it takes a tiny minority of workers, not even like interacting much with each other, to grow and distribute food, and like if we should shut down beef probably one farmer can feed a thousand vegans.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Lazyhound posted:

It’s going to be hellworld until a vaccine gets manufactured in bulk.

The reports of people getting re-infected after clearing it are ominous, I wonder what the rate is on that.

there wont be a vaccine. we have been trying to make a vaccine for corona viruses for years, it doesnt work. thats like saying we need to wait for the AIDS vaccine

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

BIG-DICK-BUTT-gently caress posted:

No one answering the question they don't know the answer to?

Which is that herd immunity will eventually kick in. That, and there's already been vaccines developed for different strains of coronavirus that may be adaptable in a much shorter time frame than usual. People that know things are estimating that it'll prob take about a year and a half, if we're being generous.

Once that's done, tweaks can be made in the same way they're made to the annual flu vaccine, assuming COVID19 mutates as quickly. It might not.

My guess is that we'll see more novel viruses as climate change really kicks into gear. poo poo we weren't exposed to before bubbling up to the surface and making the leap to humans for any number of reasons. We'll probably have a better idea of how to monitor/handle it by then, and hopefully have an actual task force at the ready to perform all the necessary prep if another one comes down the pipeline.

That's a pretty optimistic view of things tho.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Rutibex posted:

there wont be a vaccine. we have been trying to make a vaccine for corona viruses for years, it doesnt work. thats like saying we need to wait for the AIDS vaccine

About that... we may have found a way to fight AIDS that work.

I think the positive news is that this virus is not completelly new, is similar to other virus that where already worked. We may have cool ways to fight this, even if is not a vacine or a validated vacine. Then the virus will not be has strong in 2021, since many people will have some level of immunity to it.

Tei fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Mar 13, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

About that... we may have found a way to fight AIDS that work.

So we all just sit at home and no one goes to work for 40 years?