Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Rutibex posted:

there wont be a vaccine. we have been trying to make a vaccine for corona viruses for years, it doesnt work. thats like saying we need to wait for the AIDS vaccine

This is wrong.

There was successful research done on coronavirus vaccines, pharma just couldn't figure out how to monetize it so they didn't fund the project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

thats like saying we need to wait for the AIDS vaccine

Lol yeah the aids vaccine has been only 5 years away my whole life.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread
I genuinely don't get the fixation on a vaccine when actually all that is needed is a halfway decent treatment that reduces mortality. Something that blocks or lessens the attachment to the A whatever receptors in the lungs; I saw info that some German scientists already have promising results.

If that happens life swiftly goes back to normal.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

shovelbum posted:

So we all just sit at home and no one goes to work for 40 years?

No. We slow this down so hospitals don't collapse. The virus will dig his way trough 40% of the population, then enough people will be naturally immune to it so it will not spread has much and hospitals will not collapse from it, and we will know how to attend the ill people.

In 2021 it will just be another illness we suffer, like the flu.

Our objetive now is to buy time for hospitals and scientist to learn about the bug. To slowly have the population of people immune to this growing.

Before this it was to stop it, but we are beyond that post by far.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Aids is also known as the cojones virus, and is stored in the balls

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

No. We slow this down so hospitals don't collapse. The virus will dig his way trough 40% of the population, then enough people will be naturally immune to it so it will not spread has much and hospitals will not collapse from it, and we will know how to attend the ill people.

I don't think Americans are smart enough to handle a year of anything but the world will go on without us

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

unpacked robinhood posted:

Aids is also known as the cojones virus, and is stored in the balls

Separately from the piss?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spinz posted:

I genuinely don't get the fixation on a vaccine when actually all that is needed is a halfway decent treatment that reduces mortality. Something that blocks or lessens the attachment to the A whatever receptors in the lungs; I saw info that some German scientists already have promising results.

If that happens life swiftly goes back to normal.

It mostly has to do with boosting herd immunity to lessen the impact if another wave hits. For example, the flu vaccine is still worth getting even if they got the strain wrong, mostly because it still adds protection against the worst symptoms.

Most of this current wave will be fought w/ drug interventions during the cytokine storm phase, tho, yes.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.

Tei posted:

Yeah it's the difference between a controlled burn and a wildfire.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

shovelbum posted:

I don't think Americans are smart enough to handle a year of anything but the world will go on without us

Things will get worse and worse and worse, and then better and better and better.

You can look at china to see how many days it take for things to return to thew new normal (the new normal will be different than the old normal). Is not a year.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Tei posted:

Things will get worse and worse and worse, and then better and better and better.

You can look at china to see how many days it take for things to return to thew new normal (the new normal will be different than the old normal). Is not a year.

China took some pretty drastic steps to try and get it under control, which the US is unlikely to be able to do.

If the US keeps failing to meaningfully address the problem then it very well could be a year.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Tei posted:

Haha, if you think all the gun toting freedum lovers are going to listen to the gubberment takin' away der freedums you are insane.

Booty Pageant
Apr 20, 2012
wouldn't it be cheaper for the cdc to pay for netflix and uber eats instead of testing??

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

unpacked robinhood posted:

Lol yeah the aids vaccine has been only 5 years away my whole life.

Yikes! Maybe stop having birthdays so we can cure AIDs then. Unbelievable.

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
All the football has been postponed until 4th April. Now it’s time to start panicking.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Jabor posted:

China took some pretty drastic steps to try and get it under control, which the US is unlikely to be able to do.

If the US keeps failing to meaningfully address the problem then it very well could be a year.

South Korea managed to get things under control very quickly with mostly voluntary means. And this was after the death cult spread the disease all over some super high population density cities.

Mass free testing, social distancing, and sane quarantines to contain the spread of the virus sounds a lot better to me than licking authoritarian boots, welding people into their homes, and containing the spread of information about the spread of the virus ala the CCP.

Warbadger fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Mar 13, 2020

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

I thought of an important hygeine tip for men.

Consider how often you touch your dick in public restrooms. Do you wash your dick along with your hands before exiting? Keep that in mind when you touch your dick at other times throughout the day. Wash your hands after touching. If someone else is handling your dick, make sure to wash beforehand, although this should already be a common courtesy.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Consider how often you touch your dick in public restrooms. Do you wash your dick along with your hands before exiting? Keep that in mind when you touch your dick at other times throughout the day. Wash your hands after touching. If someone else is handling your dick, make sure to wash beforehand, although this should already be a common courtesy.

Flop it out, flip it in.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I’m starting to sympathize with those ‘STATES RIGHTS’ people, help

https://twitter.com/radleybalko/status/1238436570702766080?s=21

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Do Norweigens normally sit on the ground and eat off the floor or something?

Only the ones that emigrated to shitholes like Minnesota.

Spinz
Jan 7, 2020

I ordered luscious new gemstones from India and made new earrings for my SA mart thread

Remember my earrings and art are much better than my posting

New stuff starts towards end of page 3 of the thread

Mulaney Power Move posted:

I just pictured a startled dick with its urethra mouth open in horror

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
I will never wash my dick

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

mitztronic posted:

Has anybody seen any analysis as to how long COVID-19 lasts? Is it literally a few days to a few weeks? Or do we not know?

I found it here: https://ourworldindata.org/coronavirus

It’s ~2 weeks for mild Cases and up to 6 weeks for severe cases.

schmuckfeatures
Oct 27, 2003
Hair Elf
:laffo: as if you would allow water to touch your dick under any circumstances. that's disgusting :barf:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Costco freezer section at the end of the day, filmed last night:
https://i.imgur.com/hk2SRM8.mp4

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Harald and Sonja, the Norwegian King and Queen have been put into quarantine. It's supposedly only a safety measure and and they haven't been hit.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Don't worry it's just a flu a weird lovely disease that only gets heads of state and gvt officials for some reason

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

plenty of wings left, those are good eatin

salt shakeup
Jun 27, 2004

'orrible fucking nights

This is making me incredibly anxious. The guy above me is right. Why would they leave those wings.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

salt shakeup posted:

This is making me incredibly anxious. The guy above me is right. Why would they leave those wings.

Don't want the flew.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Last day with my students for two weeks but I’m gunna assume longer than that. What should we do today goons?

Movie day featuring Contagion :unsmigghh:

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I just got an email from my son’s school. They are closed until next month.

Evidently that is every school in Oregon.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

Uhhhh where is this?

stump collector
May 28, 2007
Kc just had its first death in a nursing home. Stay safe lowtax

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008