Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah Satisfactory is just fine without base defence - the exploration element fills the gameplay gap there pretty well, right down to giving you combat to do.

The only thing it really misses from Factorio's combat is that in Factorio, the need for defence puts an absolute pressure on your productivity. It's otherwise not possible to progress too slowly as the game goes at whatever pace you want, and this isn't necessarily a good thing - a player, especially one new to the genre, might not really grab the idea of parallelising to boost their factory's output, or be waiting for some sort of prompt to start expanding, and get bored as nothing is happening. Having swarms of bugs come in requires you to be producing X amount of ammo, which might be the push some players need.
Of course, if you're not producing enough defences, you lose the game. That might not be a good thing either.

Satisfactory takes a different approach in that, if you're progressing too slowly but aren't choosing to expand for whatever reason, you can go explore the wilds instead while you wait for stuff to produce. There's plenty of rewards out there, and all of the ones that actually do anything push you to revise and improve your factory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Tenebrais posted:

Yeah Satisfactory is just fine without base defence - the exploration element fills the gameplay gap there pretty well, right down to giving you combat to do.

The only thing it really misses from Factorio's combat is that in Factorio, the need for defence puts an absolute pressure on your productivity. It's otherwise not possible to progress too slowly as the game goes at whatever pace you want, and this isn't necessarily a good thing - a player, especially one new to the genre, might not really grab the idea of parallelising to boost their factory's output, or be waiting for some sort of prompt to start expanding, and get bored as nothing is happening. Having swarms of bugs come in requires you to be producing X amount of ammo, which might be the push some players need.
Of course, if you're not producing enough defences, you lose the game. That might not be a good thing either.

Satisfactory takes a different approach in that, if you're progressing too slowly but aren't choosing to expand for whatever reason, you can go explore the wilds instead while you wait for stuff to produce. There's plenty of rewards out there, and all of the ones that actually do anything push you to revise and improve your factory.

To be fair to factorio on that front, if you're not paralellizing you're probably not making enough pollution to piss off the bugs and draw em to you. A dumb noob with 2 iron smelters and 1 copper isn't making enough pollution to NEED to have mass-produced bullets to protect themselves with.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Finally got around to unlocking the final tiers. Bauxite is so far I guess I'll finally get off my rear end and train it to my refinery area.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I tried to design a nice, compact aluminum refining setup. It's a hideous clodge of 3 or 4 different loops of conveyors stacked on top of each other and it is neither good looking, nor compact. I can see why I had to drop out of my engineering degree now.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
I'd really like a deployable turret; something I can drop a stack of rifle ammo into and it will keep the bees away while I work. It would probably still work out to being a straight-downgrade to actually using a Xenoslapper but I hate aiming and efforting while I'm trying to build something.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
So I'm thinking the way to deal with nuclear waste is to load it into a truck and drive the truck into the ocean? It's the closest thing to a safe and legal thrill this game can offer

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

I'd really like a deployable turret; something I can drop a stack of rifle ammo into and it will keep the bees away while I work. It would probably still work out to being a straight-downgrade to actually using a Xenoslapper but I hate aiming and efforting while I'm trying to build something.

normally I really like you and the amazing poo poo you build in games like this but I think you're way off base on this one. Me vs a fluffy hog or whatever shouldn't come down to if i plop down a generator and link it to a turret and fill it with leaves. Let's just fight and have done with it. The game gives me weapons for fighting. That can be its own thing. I'm not saying combat in the game is good but a deployable turret, even if it requires power, would cheapen what's even there a lot. I say while advocating smashing all wildlife with a truck.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

So I'm thinking the way to deal with nuclear waste is to load it into a truck and drive the truck into the ocean? It's the closest thing to a safe and legal thrill this game can offer

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

chairface posted:

To be fair to factorio on that front, if you're not paralellizing you're probably not making enough pollution to piss off the bugs and draw em to you. A dumb noob with 2 iron smelters and 1 copper isn't making enough pollution to NEED to have mass-produced bullets to protect themselves with.

Why you gotta be like that, bro? If someone's having fun playing the game, who cares how they're doing so. There's no wrong way to play Factorio.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

dan gum it those guys thought of everything

chairface posted:

normally I really like you and the amazing poo poo you build in games like this but I think you're way off base on this one. Me vs a fluffy hog or whatever shouldn't come down to if i plop down a generator and link it to a turret and fill it with leaves. Let's just fight and have done with it. The game gives me weapons for fighting. That can be its own thing. I'm not saying combat in the game is good but a deployable turret, even if it requires power, would cheapen what's even there a lot. I say while advocating smashing all wildlife with a truck.

The turret would, like most weapons, kinda suck against anything larger than a bee imo. It would take too long to pop a hog before the hog gets a ram or two off, but it would be good for bees or helping you with packs of hogs or alphas (without being good enough to meaningfully solo them by itself). It would be able to take aggro and be destroyed. Add a 2-second setup time like in Deep Rock Galactic so it's not plausible to spam down ten of them and we're in business.

Alternatively, make the rifle hurt a little bit.
Alternatively, remove beacons from the ammo recipe.

Any of these would be fine! Dang

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Mar 12, 2020

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Ambaire posted:

Why you gotta be like that, bro? If someone's having fun playing the game, who cares how they're doing so. There's no wrong way to play Factorio.

That doesn't make it smart.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Factorio is my logistics simulator where I turn the entire world into iron plates.

Satisfactory is my nerd bonzai tree where I spend an hour designing a building to house 4 machines.

Totally different games.

Wallrod
Sep 27, 2004
Stupid Baby Picture
Satisfactory for me is like factorio except i don't plan anything and just loving put poo poo anywhere and it's a disgusting mess and will probably fall apart if i change one belt

so a 3d factorio basically

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Got my new Turbo Motor factory turned on, finally

Edit:

seems like it's working

Evilreaver fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 12, 2020

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Nice! I recently reconfigured my mall so that all the belts feeding into it now have splitters sending half of everything into the crusher. The last stretch of belt with everything combined is rather hypnotic to watch, and see all of the different factory products come down the pipe...

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

Evilreaver posted:

dan gum it those guys thought of everything

The turret would, like most weapons, kinda suck against anything larger than a bee imo. It would take too long to pop a hog before the hog gets a ram or two off, but it would be good for bees or helping you with packs of hogs or alphas (without being good enough to meaningfully solo them by itself). It would be able to take aggro and be destroyed. Add a 2-second setup time like in Deep Rock Galactic so it's not plausible to spam down ten of them and we're in business.

Alternatively, make the rifle hurt a little bit.
Alternatively, remove beacons from the ammo recipe.

Any of these would be fine! Dang

The rifle absolutely should be better, available earlier, and have cheaper ammo.

bbcisdabomb
Jan 15, 2008

SHEESH

chairface posted:

The rifle absolutely should be better, available earlier, and have cheaper ammo.

The rebar gun is available much earlier but I agree the rifle should do probably 5-10x as much damage with lower ammo cost. I fought 2 of the big blue spitters above the pink forest and it took me 60 bullets. Something's not right there.

Maybe have it do the same amount of damage but stack ammo to 1000, and make 10 bullets with 1 steel pipe and 1 black powder?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm telling you, the guns are totally worthless. I can easily take on the big spider and the fire spitter from that cave that has two oil deposits easily with the larger sword thing and the blade runners. Run at them, jump over and slash them as much as you can. If you get below half health, have a stack of berries or nuts to eat to get it back. Hitting them with a car first to ragdoll and slash at them is also good. If it's not too big of a group, I can fight anything.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah I do all my combat melee. The rifle is okay for sniping, but if the mobs are already attacking you then it's sword time.
Actually, I'd rather have it use stupidly expensive ammo and be one hit kill for small mobs, and maybe require two for the big spitters and spiders.

kiss me Pikachu
Mar 9, 2008
I accidentally built my multistory factory directly under the path of the giant flying ray in the first biome and now can hitch a ride from the third floor. It’s not particularly fast but it sure is scenic!

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Rifle is only good at sniping bees from a distance imo

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

The rifle is great for the wasps - I seem to be able to more reliably hit them at any distance with that than the sword.

Other things do chew up a lot of ammo. Most stuff can be dropped in one clip though, barring the top tier of enemies.

tranten
Jan 14, 2003

^pube

I *think* the heads on the elites have more armor or something, as I’m pretty sure I dropped a blue fire breather in under 5 rounds because it was all profile body shots.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The big sword is objectively great at killing everything except the Alpha Hogs and Big Spiders where it is graded at Fine. (For the record, nothing is good at killing Alpha Hogs)

I use the rifle when I can't be bothered to fight with effort, and would rather hose down small mobs and be on my way-- it's a laying-down-a-long-railway tool, and the Xenoslapper is for everyday killing.

The rebar gun is good for everyday killing but struggles with the same things the sword does, ie you will still take a hit or two from spitters which makes it hard to justify, for me, two inventory slots compared to the sword or rifle.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I started update 3 with a previous save, so I already had a bunch of things it wants me to unlock. Is it expected to buy the different kinds of walls like the conveyor belt walls from the little store? I had already researched them but it seems they were removed from my hub terminal. I can still build these walls because I had researched them, but the store also wants me to buy the schematics for them.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I mean if you have them already it doesn't matter. But yeah they're now unlocked through the store, not milestones or research.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

I started over when update 3 hit and the interactive map on satisfactory-calculator still has the hard drives I'd collected on my previous save greyed, but is showing everything else properly for the new save (buildings, etc.) Anyone know of a fix?

vvvv: nailed it, thanks!

chairface fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 14, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

chairface posted:

I started over when update 3 hit and the interactive map on satisfactory-calculator still has the hard drives I'd collected on my previous save greyed, but is showing everything else properly for the new save (buildings, etc.) Anyone know of a fix?

Clear your cookies for the site.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just got Satisfactory and have been mainlining it all weekend, what an awesome game...but drat I miss being able to copy/paste, and rotate/upgrade existing buildings like factorio. Scaling up is a nightmare. The hypertubes are cool but they don't really seem much faster than the upgraded running...I haven't gotten the jetpack yet.

e: I just found out about the hyperloop railgun system...this game is so hilarious.

LifeSunDeath fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Mar 16, 2020

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Even with how slow the hyper tubes are, I prefer them simply because I don't have to think about anything when using them. Driving the Explorer, I have to deal with bumps in the terrain flipping the car out, or the game hitching when going to certain areas. Running means I have to keep jumping all the time to get over obstacles. Getting in the tube lets me check my phone or look at my inventory.

I started doing more with the train. I started building up a big storage area away from my part manufacturing area because there was more room there. Trains are cool, but the station parts are way too loving huge. The tracks are huge and unwieldy as well. It's nice to have a buffer between the storage and the manufacturing so the belts don't get all backed up and stopping production. I just wish it was easier to put train stuff anywhere. I think this game could use with some scaling down of a lot of the buildings. They have all these organic, rolling landscapes, and you pretty much just have to build a minecraft style nerd pole straight up and then build a big flat area to put a factory anywhere.

Edit: I guess they also changed how belts work with the player on them. Used to be you could build a mk4 belt and really launch yourself. Now it moves you at the same speed as sprinting with the blade runners.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
Just tried this, there's a few ways to do it to make it easier to build but achieves the same goal:
https://i.imgur.com/S2N0fUy.mp4
Also just found out you can single click placement then hold shift and scroll and you can tilt stuff, super nice.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Hypertube railguns work REALLY WELL with parachutes. Finally a viable use-case! You can glide at Mach 7 to wherever you're going without having to worry about feathering your jetpack and/or running out of fuel.

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Evilreaver posted:

Hypertube railguns work REALLY WELL with parachutes. Finally a viable use-case! You can glide at Mach 7 to wherever you're going without having to worry about feathering your jetpack and/or running out of fuel.

How do you keep them deployed? I've died maybe 10 times from faulty deployment and the gave up/stopped using them.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FormatAmerica posted:

How do you keep them deployed? I've died maybe 10 times from faulty deployment and the gave up/stopped using them.

The last parachute in a stack instantly undeploys :pseudo: since when the last one is used, it disappears and thus is no longer equipped and thus stops working thus you splat.
So if you have 5 parachutes, you really only have 4.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

LifeSunDeath posted:

Also just found out you can single click placement then hold shift and scroll and you can tilt stuff, super nice.

I don't think you need to hold shift or anything. You click once to start building the belt/pipe/tube and then hover over where you want to put it. The scroll wheel here will twist it. Then you click once, and the scroll wheel tilts for the pipes and tubes, and you can also move the mouse up and down to create taller posts.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Cojawfee posted:

I don't think you need to hold shift or anything. You click once to start building the belt/pipe/tube and then hover over where you want to put it. The scroll wheel here will twist it. Then you click once, and the scroll wheel tilts for the pipes and tubes, and you can also move the mouse up and down to create taller posts.

Before you position the base, using the scroll wheel turns the object on a left/right orientation. After you clicked to position the base, moving the view positions it higher/lower and using the scroll wheel tilts it on an up/down orientation.

LASER BEAM DREAM
Nov 3, 2005

Oh, what? So now I suppose you're just going to sit there and pout?
I’m just getting back into the game after update 3. The new space elevator upgrade items are really interesting. I like that you're not just sending up items that you’ve already made in bulk. It at least requires a temp supply chain.

When did they introduce middle click to copy in build mode? Also, once you’ve multi-selected items for deconstruction is there a way to remove a single item(think ctrl click in excel)?

LASER BEAM DREAM fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Mar 16, 2020

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Middle click eyedropper is one of the update 3 improvements I think?
And no I don't think you can deselect from the multi-disassemble mode without leaving disassembly mode entirely.

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009
I've been making some very slow progress in update 3 (too many games to play), when I got to oil and started creating byproducts from refining oil into plastic I assumed I'd find a way to use them with T6, but instead now I'm creating more byproducts from refining fuel. Am I missing something obvious, or are those recipes only found on hard drives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

I find it's easiest to produce solid main products (plastic, rubber) with Heavy Oil Residue as byproduct. The Diluted Fuel alt recipe is amazing if you can find it, it has very high yield of fuel from residue (but requires 3x the refineries since you need to bottle and unbottle it, and a closed loop of fluid containers).
Default rubber + diluted duel has at least as good yield of fuel as default fuel + residual rubber, I think it's actually better.

Fluid pipes allow you to create literal overflow systems: Make a "bump" in pipes (reverse lock) that's taller than anywhere else in the output of Heavy Oil Residue from plastic/rubber production to the fuel production. Make sure the bump is not so high that the output can't push past it with the natural output pressure, usually 2 or 3 stackable poles is good. On the other side of that bump place some refineries to make Petroleum Coke from the overflowing residue, and you can send that coke to the crusher, or use it for other minor products as long as they won't back up.
The main danger is you want to avoid production of either main product or byproduct to back up, so be sure to have some kind of overflow on either side.