Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Alhazred posted:

Cage is a guy who tries too way hard to be zany and badass.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/19/nicolas-cage-rage-internet-meme-mandy

quote:

Cage went on to elaborate the thinking behind his theatrical acting style, saying he aimed to realise his “abstract and more ontological fantasies with film performance, by playing people who were crazy, or by playing people who were on drugs, or supernaturally possessed”. He added: “It’s all very thought out and carefully planned.”

Cage also said he was aware of fellow actor Ethan Hawke’s admiring comments in a Reddit Ask Me Anything webchat, in which Hawke said Cage was “the only actor since Marlon Brando that’s actually done anything new with the art of acting; he’s successfully taken us away from an obsession with naturalism into a kind of presentation style of acting that I imagine was popular with the old troubadours”. Cage responded: “That made me feel good … The list goes on and on about these old troubadours who embraced a kind of charismatic and larger-than-size stylisation. A grandeur, if you will.”

If I'm remembering right, Cage's self direction in this one scene Vampire's Kiss was to get his eyes as wide as he could.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
my favorite thing about acting and the actors that do it is one day one of them turned to the other and said "we gotta get like, six billion times more pretentious" and they haven't stopped since.

edit- lolling at the mental image of a team of imported grad students attempting to measure the ontology of ghost rider with huge, fire-proof calipers

PHIZ KALIFA has a new favorite as of 12:47 on Mar 11, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Extra funny since in pre-modern times acting was considered socially about a half-step above prostitution.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/sep/19/nicolas-cage-rage-internet-meme-mandy

If I'm remembering right, Cage's self direction in this one scene Vampire's Kiss was to get his eyes as wide as he could.

Hearing about what Cage thinks about acting is often more interesting than watching him act.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Here's a really good interview with Cage where he goes into some of his thought process with the various roles he's had. Whether or not you like the end result I think he's clearly genuine about the way he looks at acting. I don't think it's a pretension.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_WDLsLnOSM&t=727s

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood
how complicated can you make "play pretend" before it becomes pretentious? maybe i'm being unduly harsh.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

how complicated can you make "play pretend" before it becomes pretentious? maybe i'm being unduly harsh.

All I'm saying is that he honestly believes in it. It's not a put-on or some way to puff himself up as an "artist", he's completely serious about approaching acting that way.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

Basebf555 posted:

All I'm saying is that he honestly believes in it. It's not a put-on or some way to puff himself up as an "artist", he's completely serious about approaching acting that way.

Or is he a good enough actor to make you think he believes it? :aaaaa:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Extra funny since in pre-modern times acting was considered socially about a half-step above prostitution.

Guys like Weinstein still treat it like that.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

MariusLecter posted:

IIRC another scene in Vampire's Kiss was motivated entirely by him wondering whether he could literally go "Boo Hoo" in a scene where he's crying, play it straight, and have it end up in the final cut.

It did.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Cage is one of the best actors in the business and it's my irrational irritating movie moment that people discard him because he can be goofy as hell and will basically take any role (to pay off his tax bill).

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Perestroika posted:

IIRC another scene in Vampire's Kiss was motivated entirely by him wondering whether he could literally go "Boo Hoo" in a scene where he's crying, play it straight, and have it end up in the final cut.

It did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqt2MT9TofI

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Everyone in From Dusk Till Dawn is just entirely too okay with being attacked by vampires. Like for these people random vampire attacks are a Tuesday.

Also why does the one guy become a rat monster when nobody else does?

Are the sequels worth watching in a so bad they're good way or are they just bad?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

It's not like they really have the time to think about it.

There's one scene if them going "Holy poo poo vampires exist. Well guess we better kill them all"

A perfect example of how brevity is the soul of wit.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Illegal Hen

Len posted:

Everyone in From Dusk Till Dawn is just entirely too okay with being attacked by vampires. Like for these people random vampire attacks are a Tuesday.

Also why does the one guy become a rat monster when nobody else does?

Are the sequels worth watching in a so bad they're good way or are they just bad?

I vaguely remember watching the sequels as IIRC they were all direct-to-video but apparently they weren't interesting enough for me to tell you what happened in any of them.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I heard the show was good though.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Sand Monster posted:

"Friends" is the outlier here, I'd say. What did your parents object to about it?

They thought Seinfeld was better, long story short (and I mean, they weren't wrong). If there wasn't a public outcry about it, they made one up to keep the TV on the things they liked.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

They kind of had to, the rights situation for marvel was a nightmare from selling off all their A-listers to not go completely under in the 90’s. The fact that Iron Man was a breakout hit was kind of surprising, he’s a decently well-known character but he’s no Spider-Man. Well, I guess now Spider-Man is no Iron Man.

Who are the A-listers? From the conversation past your post I assume Spider-Man and pretty much anyone with spider powers count but I've got nothing beyond that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RareAcumen posted:

Who are the A-listers? From the conversation past your post I assume Spider-Man and pretty much anyone with spider powers count but I've got nothing beyond that.

X-men

Doctor Doom and his supporting cast

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Beachcomber posted:

X-men

And the Hulk.

I know it's weird looking back at the MCU's domination of superhero media to think that it started out made up of B and C listers. X-Men was HUGE in the 90s, hence getting their cinematic universe off the ground first (and promptly crashing it) and the Hulk is one of the biggest cultural icons an an archetype in himself. Other franchises are more of a generational thing- geezers will vaguely remember when Captain Marvel was stupidly popular, to the point where DC needed to use a copyright lawsuit to force the publisher out of business and buy up the property to the point where the newly founded Marvel Comics was basically able to steal the original name, while the Fantastic Four are from a somewhat later era and occupy a lot of boomer nostalgia, being more or less the original super-family. (Hence the primary inspiration for The Incredibles)

While the Avengers were more of an also-ran put together from whatever characters they didn't have much else to do with, though they became increasingly central to the comics universe after the point where no one was reading comics anymore except diehards. There was actually an Avengers cartoon in the 90s, which was short lived and completely forgotten because it consisted entirely of the C and D list members. (Ant-Man, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, freakin Wonder Man and later Vision)

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Beachcomber posted:

X-men

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the Hulk.

I know it's weird looking back at the MCU's domination of superhero media to think that it started out made up of B and C listers. X-Men was HUGE in the 90s, hence getting their cinematic universe off the ground first (and promptly crashing it) and the Hulk is one of the biggest cultural icons an an archetype in himself. Other franchises are more of a generational thing- geezers will vaguely remember when Captain Marvel was stupidly popular, to the point where DC needed to use a copyright lawsuit to force the publisher out of business and buy up the property to the point where the newly founded Marvel Comics was basically able to steal the original name, while the Fantastic Four are from a somewhat later era and occupy a lot of boomer nostalgia, being more or less the original super-family. (Hence the primary inspiration for The Incredibles)

Thanks for answers, I never read comics because those cost money and I had no allowance or way to get to a comic store (or any idea where they were to begin with because I was 12 and had no idea where anything was) so I'm thoroughly out of the loop on who're popular characters in comic books. I thought people generally liked Captain America, and that Iron Man was fairly popular because if he's a member of the Illuminati then he must be pretty relevant right?

Anyway, here's a cool picture of the Spider-Family. Hopefully this is what Spiderverse 2 is about.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'd love if in Spiderverse 2 crime went way down because all of Spiderman's nemeses were all like "I'm not trying it on today, there are 73 separate spider-people running around just itching to kick my rear end!"

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

RareAcumen posted:

Anyway, here's a cool picture of the Spider-Family. Hopefully this is what Spiderverse 2 is about.

I'd rather Morlun was memory-holed for all time until someone in 2099 busts it out as an obscure reference.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Iron Man did get his own cartoon in the 90s, and the second intro was badass as all hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

Captain America obviously was big during WW2, but mind you there was a shitton of very similar characters all punching Nazis and Japanese around that time, Cap is just the one writers kept on using afterwards, especially since they figured out the 'unfrozen from 1945' origin to keep him relevant. Him and Iron Man are more the favourites of comic book writers than readers necessarily, though they've always been fairly popular overall, since they're often used for political allegories. (Usually very bad ones) Oddly enough, Captain America's animated appearances before the MCU are both in X-Men cartoons, being featured in flashbacks fighting alongside Logan, and in one case they rescued a young Magneto from the concentration camp.

I think Iron Man mostly gets used a lot because as in the movies, the comics realised he's basically a heroic Lex Luthor with even more self-destructive tendencies, probably his most famous arc being 'Demon in a Bottle' which is about exactly what you'd expect. Funnily enough they also make Norman Osborn basically Tony's opposite number (complete with briefly being the Iron Patriot in his own flag-spangled version of the War Machine suit) and basically a case where Lex Luthor pulls double duty as the Joker.

Deadpool is probably the most recent character to take off in a big way, and a funny example given he was originally a half-assed Deathstroke knockoff who writers gradually turned into his signature gimmick because it was far more fun than trying to take him seriously. And he's not particularly connected to any particular clique of the Marvel universe, sometimes peripherally the X-Men, having been a Weapon X project like Wolverine in some versions, probably why Fox got the rights. (of course, the old joke goes if you ask three comic fans about Deadpool's origin story you'll get four different answers) But his costume has at some points been claimed to be an off-the-shelf Spider-man costume modified for his tastes.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The second season of Iron Man was really good after a first season that was a generic bad cartoon. It had some crossovers with the Spider-Man and Hulk cartoons of the time, maybe the X-Men but I'm not sure. Cap got to appear in the Secret Wars arc of the Spider-Man cartoon when Spidey was summoned to another dimension and forced to assemble a team of heroes to battle a team of villains in a very Star Trek "we shall determine which of these two ideologies is stronger" way.

The 90s really had some excellent comic book adaptation cartoons, presumably to make up for the godawful live action movies.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Iron Man did get his own cartoon in the 90s, and the second intro was badass as all hell.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y63i2NR9-LE

Captain America obviously was big during WW2, but mind you there was a shitton of very similar characters all punching Nazis and Japanese around that time, Cap is just the one writers kept on using afterwards, especially since they figured out the 'unfrozen from 1945' origin to keep him relevant. Him and Iron Man are more the favourites of comic book writers than readers necessarily, though they've always been fairly popular overall, since they're often used for political allegories. (Usually very bad ones) Oddly enough, Captain America's animated appearances before the MCU are both in X-Men cartoons, being featured in flashbacks fighting alongside Logan, and in one case they rescued a young Magneto from the concentration camp.

I think Iron Man mostly gets used a lot because as in the movies, the comics realised he's basically a heroic Lex Luthor with even more self-destructive tendencies, probably his most famous arc being 'Demon in a Bottle' which is about exactly what you'd expect. Funnily enough they also make Norman Osborn basically Tony's opposite number (complete with briefly being the Iron Patriot in his own flag-spangled version of the War Machine suit) and basically a case where Lex Luthor pulls double duty as the Joker.

Deadpool is probably the most recent character to take off in a big way, and a funny example given he was originally a half-assed Deathstroke knockoff who writers gradually turned into his signature gimmick because it was far more fun than trying to take him seriously. And he's not particularly connected to any particular clique of the Marvel universe, sometimes peripherally the X-Men, having been a Weapon X project like Wolverine in some versions, probably why Fox got the rights. (of course, the old joke goes if you ask three comic fans about Deadpool's origin story you'll get four different answers) But his costume has at some points been claimed to be an off-the-shelf Spider-man costume modified for his tastes.

I like in the comic where Deadpool gets abducted by the Skrull and they try to reverse engineer his healing factor, only for it to kill the test subject because Deadpool can only survive his healing factor because his cancer is killing the cells as fast as his body can make them so it balances out. Something like that anyway I may be misremembering.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BioEnchanted posted:

I like in the comic where Deadpool gets abducted by the Skrull and they try to reverse engineer his healing factor, only for it to kill the test subject because Deadpool can only survive his healing factor because his cancer is killing the cells as fast as his body can make them so it balances out. Something like that anyway I may be misremembering.

That's about right yeah. Deadpool's whole thing is his body (and as a result, mind) is more or less in constant flux because his healing factor repairs his body barely as fast as his cancer kills it. (also helps for artists who can never keep his looks straight) Remove his powers and his cancer just gets to killing him, cure his cancer and his powers start killing him, or possibly turning into something that would wish for death even more than he already does.

I feel it makes sense in the movie version where he's basically an induced late-bloomer mutant; his powers manifested while he was already dying of cancer, so they restore his body to that state, cancer included.

Ghost Leviathan has a new favorite as of 12:02 on Mar 12, 2020

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

I also like later when they try full on cloning to avoid that mistake. They end up with a bunch of pissed off skrull-pools who don't want to play along, either because they've found out they're disposable or just because they don't like being told what to do.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The Moon Knight Disney+ series is going to turn the whole superhero genre on its head, just you wait

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
There was a storyline during the Duggan/Posehn run a few years ago where Deadpool, Captain America, and Wolverine went to North Korea where they found a bunch of cancer-ridden half-mutant dissident prisoners that were injected with cells from the three of them to try and create a mutant army for the government. It was actually pretty loving depressing.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And the Hulk.

While the Avengers were more of an also-ran put together from whatever characters they didn't have much else to do with, though they became increasingly central to the comics universe after the point where no one was reading comics anymore except diehards. There was actually an Avengers cartoon in the 90s, which was short lived and completely forgotten because it consisted entirely of the C and D list members. (Ant-Man, Falcon, Scarlet Witch, freakin Wonder Man and later Vision)

Yeah the Avengers were not the Justice League. They are now but at the time it was "none of these losers is popular enough on their own".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Ultimate Avengers was a big turning point for the way people saw Avengers. It was the first introduction of Sam Jackson's Nick Fury and they made two fairly successful animated movies out of it. Hard to say if the MCU would've happened when it did without Ultimate Avengers.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Ultimate Marvel comics were really talked up in the mid 2000’s as the future of Marvel but they kind of died off pretty quick. Schedule issues did most of it, but grimdark fatigue sure didn’t help.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Yeah, they got really stupid, really fast.

Started off loving fantastic, though.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ultimate Spider-Man was basically the only thing that stayed consistent in quality.

Ultimatum, meanwhile, was one of the worst things to ever happen in comics.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Ultimate Marvel had the right idea in presenting a series reboot that allows them to experiment with new takes and concepts of characters that had been around for decades at that point, and it was good for that to some extent, but not a lot else. Like a lot of things in comics it functions best as a mine for ideas.

DC seems to have somewhat less of a problem since they just rebooted their universe, but now I think they've done that like half a dozen times and I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo anymore.

The cartoons and other adaptations have been among the best things to happen for superheroes, since they give the media more range in ideas to draw from, as well as expanding the idea of what a character can be and how they can be portrayed.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Push El Burrito posted:

Ultimate Spider-Man was basically the only thing that stayed consistent in quality.

Ultimatum, meanwhile, was one of the worst things to ever happen in comics.

A friend of mine has a copy of that signed by the artist. He just glared at us while he signed it

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The 2007 game Marvel Ultimate Alliance is rather interesting for being a snapshot from just before the MCU started, too. Your standard team (ie, the one in the cutscenes) is regular ol' Spider-Man and Wolverine, but then also Ultimate Thor and Cap; Iron Man's playable but a minor part overall, Nick Fury's white, you go into space but it uses X-Men and Fantastic Four stuff, Blade's playable but Black Widow isn't...

I dunno, it's neat as a time capsule, especially since at the time the big draw was being able to play as relatively obscure heroes like Dr Strange or Ms (now Captain) Marvel, and now almost all of the roster has had gigantic solo movies.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ghost Leviathan posted:

DC seems to have somewhat less of a problem since they just rebooted their universe, but now I think they've done that like half a dozen times and I don't think anyone really gives a poo poo anymore.

That's because DC have rebooted their universe twice in the last few years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Re-watched Phantom of the Paradise recently because it's loving awesome but I have a few nitpicks with it, all of them minor.

- The incredibly obvious superimposed matted Death Records logo in several scenes is really jarring. I know it was done after the film was finished because it originally said "Swan Song" and Led Zeppelin threatened to sue so they had to hastily cover them up but god drat it looks terrible. You'd think they could digitally fix it for the blu-ray or something.

- Phoenix is presented as this over the top awesome talent and an amazing find but, while she's not bad, I didn't think her songs were that much more incredible than the others.

- Some people say the plunger scene in the shower is anti gay but...I just took it as subverting expectations of the obvious Psycho homage and sort of a funny way to keep Beef from screaming.

- How did Winslow break out of the room he was bricked up in?

- The ending is still a little confusing to me. So, I guess destroying the Swan/Devil video breaks the contract and makes him mortal and that, in turn, makes Winslow mortal and opens up the knife wound and Swan then starts melting? Is that right?

Other IIMM is i've had "The Hell of It" and "Faust" stuck in my head for like 4 loving days now.