Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

your friend wicka posted:

Starship Troopers kicks rear end and is explicitly supposed to make the source material look dumb

The source material didn’t need much help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Starship Troopers kicks rear end and is explicitly supposed to make the source material look dumb

Yeah its a dope rear end song for sure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKftiJS30Cs

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

The source material didn’t need much help.

I agree but unsurprisingly a lot of people don't. Those people deserve to be mocked.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I agree but unsurprisingly a lot of people don't. Those people deserve to be mocked.

its crazy because he wrote tons better books but that one has the space shooties so its the one that gets made into a movie.

Essential Heinlein reading:
-Red Planet
-Tunnel In The Sky
-Citizen of The Galaxy
-Have Spacesuit Will Travel(seriously read this one)
-PodKayne of Mars

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Jerusalem posted:

Jodie Whittaker is fantastic and the regular supporting cast have been very good, with Mandip Gill getting the short end of the stick in terms of any characterization. The show LOOKS fantastic, the lighting and framing and sound has all been top notch, with the first season being somewhat let down by some odd, often weirdly novice-level editing mistakes.

The problem is the writing, unfortunately. The showrunner never wrote anything standout when he worked under RTD and Moffat, and while he's written some of the best Who stuff he's ever done since taking over, even that rarely rises above the level of pretty good. The first season very deliberately took a "no big long season arcs, just a series of barely related stories in a variety of genres" and the result was a mixed bag (It Takes You Away, however, is genuinely a great episode) that seemed more interested in making the point that human beings are often their own worst enemies.

The second season fully embraced the idea of a big season arc which lead to no standout episodes in their own right but a series of really bonkers moments that generated a ton of discussion/interest... but Chibnall completely tanked the landing when he disappeared up continuity-rear end and "fixed" a "problem" from a decades old story that 99% of fans either hadn't seen or largely ignored because one brief moment of it didn't make any sense. Instead he (appears to have) upended the entire nature of the central character to no good purpose (the Doctor literally says in the finale that none of it makes any sense and also that it makes no difference at all) and left a bad taste in a ton of people's mouths... which unfortunately the usual misogynist/racist assholes have jumped on to try and lump all the critics in together with their lovely, bullshit complaints about "SJW agenda gone mad".

Basically the showrunner pumped out something of bad fanfiction level quality to stamp his mark on the history of the show (to be fair, I'm sure there are plenty of fans who actually did like it, or just don't care one way or the other at all), and it's done a disservice to the very good cast and crew and particularly Whittaker who, for every other fault the show might have, has been great as the title character. It's probably all a misdirect for the climax of the next season, but if so it's created a lot of ill-will for no benefit, especially since it's likely to be a year or more before we actually see the new season and get any answers to the questions raised.

Anyways, I'm mad about Doctor Who online, and that makes me feel silly, because the show has done dumb stuff like this before and it either gets filtered out, contradicted or outright ignored not long after, and this probably won't be any different.

Yeah that's why I'm more interested in her performance because since 2005 I'd call the stories taken as a whole as a mixed bag but the performances are the soul of the show and I haven't hated a Doctor yet so this is good to hear.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I was never a Dr Who kid MST3K till I die

I grew up with this show and drat it I'll die on the hill that I enjoyed the Sci-Fi run more than the Comedy Central run. I had about 4 vhs tapes recorded with episodes that I would just cycle through. I would go to sleep with it on in the background. Now I have youtube :)

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I like Joel better but it feels like they had better movies to work with for lots of Mike’s run

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

I like Joel better but it feels like they had better movies to work with for lots of Mike’s run

Joel just isn't as fun for me as Mike is.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

coconono posted:

The film manages to be dumber than the book, and given the material, that is super impressive. Heinlein was a right wing lunatic.

whoooosh

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Starship Troopers is a masterpiece in a career that has a few.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I don't want to scare anyone, but I'm going to give it to you straight about Jason.

His body was never recovered from the lake after he drowned. And if you listen to the old timers in town, they'll tell you he's still out there...some sort of demented creature, surviving in the wilderness, full grown by now. Stalking...stealing what he needs, living off wild animals and vegetation. Some folks claim they've even seen him...right in this area.

The girl who survived that night at Camp Blood, that Friday the 13th, she claimed she saw him. She disappeared two months later. Vanished. Blood was everywhere. No one knows what happened to her. Legend has it that Jason saw his mother beheaded that night...and he took his revenge. A revenge that he'll continue to seek if anyone ever enters his wilderness again.

And by now, I guess you all know, we're the first to return here. Five years...five long years he's been dormant...and he's hungry. Jason's out there...watching...always on the prowl for intruders. Waiting to kill...waiting to devour. Thirsty for young blood.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I think we can all agree that Klendathu Drop absolutely slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Yes, it does, and the YouTube videos on the side led me to this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb1_38445vA

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

CobiWann posted:

I don't want to scare anyone, but I'm going to give it to you straight about Jason.

His body was never recovered from the lake after he drowned. And if you listen to the old timers in town, they'll tell you he's still out there...some sort of demented creature, surviving in the wilderness, full grown by now. Stalking...stealing what he needs, living off wild animals and vegetation. Some folks claim they've even seen him...right in this area.

The girl who survived that night at Camp Blood, that Friday the 13th, she claimed she saw him. She disappeared two months later. Vanished. Blood was everywhere. No one knows what happened to her. Legend has it that Jason saw his mother beheaded that night...and he took his revenge. A revenge that he'll continue to seek if anyone ever enters his wilderness again.

And by now, I guess you all know, we're the first to return here. Five years...five long years he's been dormant...and he's hungry. Jason's out there...watching...always on the prowl for intruders. Waiting to kill...waiting to devour. Thirsty for young blood.

God drat I wanna watch some Jason movies now.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

PunkBoy posted:

I think we can all agree that Klendathu Drop absolutely slaps

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIGHCoVzqtk

C'MON YOU APES, YOU WANNA LIVE FOREVER?!?

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Shard posted:

God drat I wanna watch some Jason movies now.

I feel for the guy. All he's doing is self-isolating at his camp and people keep showing up...

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

lmao you hosed up even harder than when I asked a girl about her tattoo not knowing it was from Homestuck

i only knew what a tardis was from a previous incident where my then-friend’s then-partner also got a tardis tattoo and i asked her if it was a bill and ted tattoo. gently caress that show.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's not a phone booth! It's a booth with a phone in it! *glares at you with the impotent rage of a thousand dead suns*

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

One time I was at the zoo with a friend and i asked her if she had seen the new harry potter because I knew she liked that kind of stuff, and a woman who was there with her partner and their kid turned around to glare at me and I saw she had a fully harry potter arm sleeve tattoo that wasnt particularly well done and had like golden sneetches flying out of her armpit and ron looked like he had some kind of chromosomal problem. I was definitely not talking about her but if youre gonna get that kind of body art and wear short sleeves in public then there is a point you cannot be too mad if and when people do actually talk about you imho

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Even before it turned out JK Rowling was a goofy person I wasn't super impressed with the novels. Mostly because the "oh you're a special person by birthright" wears off when you've read that cliche a ZILLION+1 times at this point. The writing style was very clean tho.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

coconono posted:

Even before it turned out JK Rowling was a goofy person I wasn't super impressed with the novels. Mostly because the "oh you're a special person by birthright" wears off when you've read that cliche a ZILLION+1 times at this point. The writing style was very clean tho.

I reread the first book recently out of curiosity and still enjoyed it. She has an extremely efficient writing style.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Harry Potter might be my least favorite piece of media.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

NienNunb posted:

Harry Potter might be my least favorite piece of media.

There's not a whole lot of media I will actively avoid but Harry Potter is on that list.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
gently caress now I have to self quarantine for two weeks when I get home. Hopefully I can use my sick time.

This wouldn't bother me as much if I could use the time to catch up on the New Japan Cup shows I expected to miss during my trip.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

coconono posted:

I've always debated writing a fantasy novel where the main character's sister is the one who will save the world, and her brother keeps trying to come along only for the wizard to leave him behind at every turn.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I will always go to bat for the HP novels only because they comforted me when I was going through some poo poo (well the audiobooks specifically) and I do still think they're GOOD; JKR created a remarkably rich world and really interesting characters in some cases. That said the older I get the more I wish it was like the Star Wars EU of old and JKR would just let other people go hog wild telling other stories within that universe. Because damned if I don't think that'd be super cool.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

CobiWann posted:

I've always debated writing a fantasy novel where the main character's sister is the one who will save the world, and her brother keeps trying to come along only for the wizard to leave him behind at every turn.

Dexter's Laboratory but with funnier hats

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

yeah I miss the old Star Wars EU. Han Solo's origin story was tons better. Plus it was an entire loving galaxy so you could insert your own OCs and not have to worry about loving up the movie continuity.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

My only problem with Harry Potter is structural. I feel like Ron needed to be a more useful character and also they needed to have the friends be from each of the houses. The books did a real good job of setting up all these issues with the setting that the characters could have tackled like the danger at the school, the slavery, etc but in the end Harry was just setting things back to the status que. Voldermort should have been all about that life while Harry and crew should have been about creating a better world.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

The houses are the worst part of Harry Potter. There's a whole house where you're basically guaranteed to be evil and another house where you're guaranteed to be a doofus.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

My girlfriend keeps emphatically insisting the houses are not "brave, smart, evil and miscellaneous" and getting really genuinely upset with me when I don't accept one JK Rowling tweet from 100 years after the books were written as proof of this, and I am so tired you guys

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

The houses are the worst part of Harry Potter. There's a whole house where you're basically guaranteed to be evil and another house where you're guaranteed to be a doofus.

Exactly I would have loved for them to have a friend in the evil house and be like hey wait a minute the adults keep telling us this is evil house but this person isnt so bad maybe they are full of poo poo. Also maybe they are only evil because you tell them they are in the evil house because they are evil and they will only ever be evil. Bit of self fulfilling prophecy.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Shard posted:

Exactly I would have loved for them to have a friend in the evil house and be like hey wait a minute the adults keep telling us this is evil house but this person isnt so bad maybe they are full of poo poo. Also maybe they are only evil because you tell them they are in the evil house because they are evil and they will only ever be evil. Bit of self fulfilling prophecy.

That's actually one thing they explicitly did in the canon play that other people wrote and JKR signed off on that takes place after the original stories. It was honestly very good and proved my theory somewhat about a hypothetical HP EU.

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Jk rowing is a terf

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

NienNunb posted:

Jk rowing is a terf

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NienNunb posted:

Jk rowing is a terf

I'm aware. It's really soured me on her.

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

All schools in louisiana were just cancelled until mid april.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Shard posted:

All schools in louisiana were just cancelled until mid april.

In Ontario they extended March Break by 2 extra weeks, right after our numbskull premier finally gave into some of the pretty reasonable demands made by the union

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 13, 2020

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

https://twitter.com/Sherndon226/status/1238535774175465473

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

saying corona is no big deal is some ableist privilege for sure. got a coworker with chronic respiratory issues and it’s absolutely no joke for her. i do wonder if advice and action is too much focused on the general population and not enough on vulnerable people but idk