Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

illcendiary posted:

Got a weird issue/question that I hope you all can help with.

My wife and I have AT&T Fiber and our home network is

AT&T Gateway -> Eero Pro -> our devices

As of some point today, my devices no longer load certain websites (Twitter and Dropbox are two). When I run a ping test on the 192.168.1.254 configuration/diagnostic page, I get 100% packet loss for those websites which tells me that it has something to do with the AT&T router’s configuration. When I turn off WiFi and use cell service, the sites work. For some reason though, my wife’s phone and computer work fine (same WiFi network, phone set to airplane mode to ensure that WiFi is being used). What could possibly be the issue?

Thanks for the help!

I had that too yesterday, also happened a few weeks back. Looked at downdetector.com and saw that many large sites had an outage including other internet providers like Cox. I think it's outside of AT&T in this instance but couldn't find any specific reports of what backbone was actually hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

Thanks Ants posted:

Do a traceroute to those pages, if it's dying somewhere in the providers network (e.g. more than a couple of hops out) then there's nothing you can do except raise it with ATT. Is it possible that a content filter has been enabled?

Decairn posted:

I had that too yesterday, also happened a few weeks back. Looked at downdetector.com and saw that many large sites had an outage including other internet providers like Cox. I think it's outside of AT&T in this instance but couldn't find any specific reports of what backbone was actually hosed.

Thank you both for your help with this, it seems like the issue has been resolved and glad to know it's not just me. It was weird to see that it was affecting just me and not my wife on the same WiFi network though.

Recycled Karma
Jul 16, 2004
Grimey Drawer
I currently have a Netgear R7000P. However, we've been having wireless issues for a while now. Devices won't connect or when they do connect they don't see the internet.

The router is located in the basement but we use devices all throughout the house. The house is wired for ethernet with drops in every room. I was thinking of moving to a Ubiquity setup.

Is an EdgeRouter plus some access points the way to go? Or would the Dream Machine with an extra access point be better?

derk
Sep 24, 2004

Recycled Karma posted:

I currently have a Netgear R7000P. However, we've been having wireless issues for a while now. Devices won't connect or when they do connect they don't see the internet.

The router is located in the basement but we use devices all throughout the house. The house is wired for ethernet with drops in every room. I was thinking of moving to a Ubiquity setup.

Is an EdgeRouter plus some access points the way to go? Or would the Dream Machine with an extra access point be better?

I have the ER-X and a AC Lite setup and it is fantastic. You having drops in every room makes setting this up a absolute breeze.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
Seriously. You've done the hard part already - wire whatever can be wired and throw APs where needed. If you're coming from one consumer AP in the basement your mind will be blown.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

I'm of the opinion that if you're not super comfortable with networking, going with the full Unifi setup is a better choice than mixing an ER-X and Unifi APs.

Gives you the full pane of glass and everything all works together real nice.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
If I had to do it over again I'd probably just buy a UDM but even with no experience in networking I was able to make an ER-X + UAP nanoHD work. I'm ignoring the part where I fried the ER-X with the UAP's PoE injector though

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I've probably bought over a half dozen consumer wifi routers over the years, but I'm definitely excited to pull the trigger on something a little better when we close on a house. I'd love to get a Unifi system up and running, I'm thinking UDM Pro + 16-port POE + Nano HD (indoor) + Mesh Pro (outdoor) to start. Flex/Flex Minis where needed, and definitely plan on adding Protect cameras and APs as I go.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
Has anyone had experience of the Wife Acceptance Factor when it comes to UDM (lets assume normal as opposed to pro) vs seperate ER-X/USG and UniFi AP?

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".

Heners_UK posted:

Has anyone had experience of the Wife Acceptance Factor when it comes to UDM (lets assume normal as opposed to pro) vs seperate ER-X/USG and UniFi AP?

Ha! I just convinced my wife of this. I told her that the $500 I’ll be spending on the UDM-Pro, APs and cable modem (used) should be considered to last at least 5 years... the cost savings from returning the ~$10/month xfinity router thing alone would almost cover that. Plus features like better connectivity, more features, ad suppression, etc was enough to push her over the line :)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Heners_UK posted:

Given our wifi hasn't taken a poo poo since I bought it, throughput and coverage are through the roof, 100% waf.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Not networking per se, but networking adjacent. Anyone have a decent primer to Synology's line of NASs? I know that purpose building a solution has some inherent benefits, but I'm short on tinkering time and having something that """just works""" would be nice. I've had a could of NFSs set up that meet my needs pretty well, but I'd like to get Mrs. Burd on the train (mainly to get photos off her phone and onto something larger), but making things a bit more user friendly would be a time and tech debt investment that isn't super attractive to me.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Warbird posted:

Not networking per se, but networking adjacent. Anyone have a decent primer to Synology's line of NASs? I know that purpose building a solution has some inherent benefits, but I'm short on tinkering time and having something that """just works""" would be nice. I've had a could of NFSs set up that meet my needs pretty well, but I'd like to get Mrs. Burd on the train (mainly to get photos off her phone and onto something larger), but making things a bit more user friendly would be a time and tech debt investment that isn't super attractive to me.

I don't use a synology but a lot of folks in the NAS thread do so they may have some pertinent advice:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

An excellent suggestion, thank you!

wane tendo
Mar 19, 2005

Buglord
this is more of a general networking question (i'm only middling in my networking know-how) but i'm trying to find a solution to have access on my home PC to both my home network connection as well as my companies VPN. i'm thinking of running a VM (VirtualBox), passing through my NIC to it then configuring the adapter in the VM for the tunnel and keep my desktop untouched on my home connection, is this possible through the same NIC? would i need a second NIC? is there a more elegant solution?

edit: Lambert answered this for me in the other thread, thanks guy!

wane tendo fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 14, 2020

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

What is the current UniFi AP with the highest throughput? The Nano HD?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All the 'HD' stuff is 4x4 Wave 2 so equally quick. Ubiquiti still say the AP AC Pro is quicker than the Nano, presumably because it has two ethernet ports, but the 5GHz radio specs are the same. If you needed better 2.4GHz performance then the AP AC Pro might be worth it, but I wouldn't bother.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Its more that I have an AC Lite that seems to peak at 250mbps and I get 400 on ethernet and was just wondering. I don't really "miss" that extra 150mbps in my daily browsing and media consumption. Just more curious than anything else.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

No, you wouldn't really notice a difference.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

jokes posted:

Do you mean a modem/router that uses a LTE connection? I use Wi-Fi SweetSpots to map my apartment for a typical Wi-Fi signal. Remember to keep the device (with any app) still to get the most consistent read-out of the signal.

Sorry for the late reply. Its a Huawei b535 router with uncapped 4g from 3uk (£17pm). Eventually 5g will arrive and either the contract will be up or I'll look into a bought router.

I put it up as high as possible pointing vaguely at a window and it seems to get good signal and send out good wifi so that's nice.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

KKKLIP ART posted:

What is the current UniFi AP with the highest throughput? The Nano HD?

The ac hd, shd and xg are not worth the price as the firmware is undercooked to the point the performance is mostly equivalent with nanohd.

Source: I own two shd and I curse each day when I think at the extra money I wasted on those

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Firmware issues causing devices not to meet the potential they are advertised as having, on an Ubiquiti product? Surely not.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Does anyone have a recommendation for a router for my network for 3 TP-LINK access points? I've been using an AC1900 Archer C9 but it randomly stopped working today until I reset it (power cycle would not fix) and I'm afraid it's about to give up the ghost. I don't need any wireless capability since I the access points take care of that (I have both radios disabled on the C9). Are mikrotik routers user friendly enough for someone with only beginner level networking knowledge? TIA

edit: I realized my C9 router went down after I rebooted a win10 machine that is connected via ethernet to it when it lost its internet connection. Could this be the cause?

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Mar 15, 2020

smax
Nov 9, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a router for my network for 3 TP-LINK access points? I've been using an AC1900 Archer C9 but it randomly stopped working today until I reset it (power cycle would not fix) and I'm afraid it's about to give up the ghost. I don't need any wireless capability since I the access points take care of that (I have both radios disabled on the C9). Are mikrotik routers user friendly enough for someone with only beginner level networking knowledge? TIA

A Ubiquiti ER-X might fit the bill. Not the most user-friendly thing out there, but for simple setups they are easy to get going and work very well.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

smax posted:

A Ubiquiti ER-X might fit the bill. Not the most user-friendly thing out there, but for simple setups they are easy to get going and work very well.

Do those play well with TP-LINK AP's? Does it matter?

smax
Nov 9, 2009

willroc7 posted:

Do those play well with TP-LINK AP's? Does it matter?

No experience with TP-Link APs, but I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.

I actually have 2 spare ER-Xs laying around, if you’re interested one could be yours for $40. I can put a basic setup on it to hopefully get you running without too much fuss.

smax fucked around with this message at 15:25 on Mar 15, 2020

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

smax posted:

No experience with TP-Link APs, but I don’t see a reason why it wouldn’t work.

I actually have 2 spare ER-Xs laying around, if you’re interested one could be yours for $40. I can put a basic setup on it to hopefully get you running without too much fuss.

OK. I'll take one for a backup. I don't have PM's so can you email me at willdocoffee on the ubiquitous service that starts with a G? Thanks!

edit: payment sent

willroc7 fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Mar 16, 2020

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Not sure if this is the right spot, but any good links for trouble shooting wifi problems? Built a new computer and now I have random lag spikes. Seems obvious that it is a wifi/LAN issue (or even a pc issue), not a WAN issue, but not sure how to fix it. Using google mesh wifi, have an asus PCE-n53 adapter. I see huge lag spikes to the local router (here, 192.168.86.1), e.g.:

Should be like 2ms every time.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

gvibes posted:

Not sure if this is the right spot, but any good links for trouble shooting wifi problems? Built a new computer and now I have random lag spikes. Seems obvious that it is a wifi/LAN issue (or even a pc issue), not a WAN issue, but not sure how to fix it. Using google mesh wifi, have an asus PCE-n53 adapter. I see huge lag spikes to the local router (here, 192.168.86.1), e.g.:

Should be like 2ms every time.

Do you have a second computer? Try pinging that and verify if it gets better/worse/same. Try this with a variety of access point pairings, move around the house so you're on the same one as the internet, different ones, etc. Try unplugging one of the access points and seeing if the problem goes away. Look at the app and see which route your connection is taking. If you're going via the mesh to the router, there could be some bad signal rerouting going on here.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
How difficult would it be to replace the C3000z Router/Modem from CenturyLink with something better/safer? We have a fiber connection with them. We have a small house 800 sq ft, but we use wifi, no real budget. Thanks!

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord
What are your current pain points? With a small area and straightforward requirements you're likely gonna be in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" territory.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Maybe not the right thread but I'll ask anyways; does Charter/Spectrum still cave on false threats to cancel? I'm paying $70/month right now and they've got a deal to give students 2 months of free internet because of the epidemic. Last I had to deal with was Comast like 10 years ago.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

cage-free egghead posted:

Maybe not the right thread but I'll ask anyways; does Charter/Spectrum still cave on false threats to cancel? I'm paying $70/month right now and they've got a deal to give students 2 months of free internet because of the epidemic. Last I had to deal with was Comast like 10 years ago.

In my experience, they know exactly what their competitors are offering at your address. You probably won’t get back to new-customer pricing, but it’s worth calling once a year and trying.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

What are your current pain points? With a small area and straightforward requirements you're likely gonna be in "if it ain't broke don't fix it" territory.

Well, It is giving a weak wifi signal to the front of the house causing streaming issues. Also, sort of not stoked paying a 120 bucks a year for a piece of hardware i could own.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

cage-free egghead posted:

One time I told them I was going to switch to UVerse, which in my area would have been 15$ less but way slower. They tried to push back when I told them I literally don’t care about the speed and they upped me to their 400mbps tier for 55 a month, no contract, for 36 months. Yes, 3 dang years. I’ve sense called and double just to make sure but I feel like I super lucked out.

Captn Kurp
Oct 21, 2013

:bravo2:
Hey guys, I was curious if someone here has experience with Palo Alto equipment in a home network. I'm mostly concerned about the way their licenses work and what will work on the device with and without certain licenses. I tried reaching out to PA but they were unable to really answer much and just tried selling me things.

I'm looking at getting a PA-220, I mostly want it to learn more about PanOS and have it serve as an IPSec VPN gateway. If anyone has some tips on the matter, I would appreciate them!

Thanks

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'd get something else to be your home device that doesn't have licensing requirements, and try and get some time in a Palo virtual lab if you need to learn the platform. If you're evaluating the platform to make a purchase as a company then your rep should be able to sort you out with as much demo time as you need.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Hey guys. I´m pretty new to this stuff. My problem relates to port forwarding.

I have a Raspberry Pi I would like to connect to from outside my home (It is wired to an Archer C7 which in turn is wired to my provider´s cable modem, which should be in bridge mode). I figured Windows Remote Desktop would be good for this purpose, but I can´t seem to open port 3389. I can, however, open port 5900 to use VNC.

This is my port forwarding. I´m not sure why it works with 5900, but not 3389.

Any ideas?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

Per posted:

Hey guys. I´m pretty new to this stuff. My problem relates to port forwarding.

I have a Raspberry Pi I would like to connect to from outside my home (It is wired to an Archer C7 which in turn is wired to my provider´s cable modem, which should be in bridge mode). I figured Windows Remote Desktop would be good for this purpose, but I can´t seem to open port 3389. I can, however, open port 5900 to use VNC.

This is my port forwarding. I´m not sure why it works with 5900, but not 3389.

Any ideas?

Do not do not do not not do do do not not open RDP/VNC to the open internet.
What you want to do instead is setup a VPN inside your home network that you can connect to, then you can connect to that and access everything in your home network as if you were local.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

THF13 posted:

Do not do not do not not do do do not not open RDP/VNC to the open internet.
What you want to do instead is setup a VPN inside your home network that you can connect to, then you can connect to that and access everything in your home network as if you were local.

Oh ok, thanks, port forwarding ended.

Would you happen to have a link on setting up VPNs handy?